post #721 of 6265 Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators93 View Post

I've been looking at the Harmony remotes and I'm confused. There are several keys on my remotes that I don't see on the Harmony 880 like "swap" and other unique keys. How do you do anything with these keys? Do you have to map them to some other hard key and remember the association? I'd like to have everything on one remote, but I don't want to have to remember what multiple buttons are for that are on keys that are different.

There is in fact a "last" key that functions like swap.

However and more importantly all of those cute soft keys on the color display can be programmed with whatever buttons you like, and you can have several pages worth of the, or 99 buttons per device I believe.

Take my word for it, you won't have an issue putting on soft keys for whatever buttons you need that are clearly labeled so you don't have to "remember" anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6265 Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

There is in fact a "last" key that functions like swap.

However and more importantly all of those cute soft keys on the color display can be programmed with whatever buttons you like, and you can have several pages worth of the, or 99 buttons per device I believe.

Take my word for it, you won't have an issue putting on soft keys for whatever buttons you need that are clearly labeled so you don't have to "remember" anything.

Thanks for the information. I think I will just have to pick one up and give it a try.
post #723 of 6265 Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I've been looking at the Harmony remotes and I'm confused. There are several keys on my remotes that I don't see on the Harmony 880 like "swap" and other unique keys. How do you do anything with these keys? Do you have to map them to some other hard key and remember the association? I'd like to have everything on one remote, but I don't want to have to remember what multiple buttons are for that are on keys that are different.

Harmony's (all the current ones) have LCD displays with soft buttons to the sides. The special keys can be mapped here. Sometimes they wind up there, if not you can put them there. You can also map them to hard buttons you can easily remember, if you'd like.

Update: Didn't see above post. Glad you're giving it a try. These remotes are great. I have the 880 and 676, both are great but love the 880's color display and favorites feature. Just wish it was more than 16 favs per activity.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #724 of 6265 Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=joe221]I have the 880 and 676, both are great but love the 880's color display and favorites feature. QUOTE]

I have two 880's and a 659 in my house - guess I must like them too!
post #725 of 6265 Old 08-25-2006, 01:02 PM

[quote=JBaumgart]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I have the 880 and 676, both are great but love the 880's color display and favorites feature. QUOTE]

I have two 880's and a 659 in my house - guess I must like them too!

I Have (2) 720's (1) 880 and (1) 659 Love them all But the 720's color display is crisper than the 880's
post #726 of 6265 Old 08-25-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=ronbo1011]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

I Have (2) 720's (1) 880 and (1) 659 Love them all But the 720's color display is crisper than the 880's

Get your 880 swapped from Harmony. My replacement is SO MUCH BETTER!

post #727 of 6265 Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 AM

[quote=joe221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1011 View Post

Get your 880 swapped from Harmony. My replacement is SO MUCH BETTER!

Thanks maybe I will look into that .Not that it really bothers me
post #728 of 6265 Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ronbo1011

How would you compare the Buttons of the 880 vs 720, like size, feel, ease of push, layout, etc...? Primarily Activities, Vol. & Channel.
post #729 of 6265 Old 08-26-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post

ronbo1011

How would you compare the Buttons of the 880 vs 720, like size, feel, ease of push, layout, etc...? Primarily Activities, Vol. & Channel.

I was just looking at the 720 in Costco. I kinda liked it's layout, can't say feel as it was sealed. The 880 could be better but like the 8 buttons on top vs. 6.

post #730 of 6265 Old 08-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was just looking at the 720 in Costco. I kinda liked it's layout, can't say feel as it was sealed. The 880 could be better but like the 8 buttons on top vs. 6.

Like you, I was unable to physically touch a 720 as at Costco and Walmart they are sealed in a plastic bubble with no demo to touch.

Best Buy has the 880 out where you can play with it -- I spent some time with one before purchasing a 720 and decided that the there was a bit more style vs function for my tastes, at least button-wise. They seemed a bit close together and a bit difficult to tell where your thumb was.

I ended up with a 720 and am very pleased with it for the three months I've had it now. Almost all of my TV watching is via DVR and the transport and selection buttons are right where my thumb is when holding the remote naturally.

YMMV.
post #731 of 6265 Old 08-26-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:

ronbo1011

If you have big fingers I find the 720 buttons much better
post #732 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys, I have a few questions.

I got an 880 about three weeks ago, and I've been messing around with it. For the most part, it's a very versatile and well-balanced remote. But there are a few problems.

The first, and most annoying is that I absolutely cannot get one specific activity to work right. It's for when I watch HD DVDs. I have a Mitsubishi WS-55315. As part of the activity for when I watch HD DVDs, I have the remote set my TV to MonLink (the input for DVI). When I start this activity, it does not ever switch the TV to MonLink. It switches inputs, but always to the wrong input. Does anyone know why this is?

As an extension, when I use this activity, I have to hit "help" to get the remote to fix the problem. Thing is, I also have to have the remote switch my receiver to Multi-Channel Input, because I'm using the analog outs on my Toshiba player. When I hit "help," it switches the TV to MonLink, but it also switches the receiver back from Multi Channel. I have to then go into the deeper help and have it ask a question about every device before I can fix it. Is there a way to change the help so it only adjusts the TV?

My other question is about the charger base. The charger base is absurdly sensitive. The slightest shift will make it stop charging. The other day I was woken up by a loud series of repeated beeping noises. Turns out it was the remote constantly shifting from charging to not charging. Has anyone else found that their charger base is this sensitive? Do I have a defective base?

Thanks for all your help.

Edit: I got it to go to MonLink by having the remote send a second command to set the TV to MonLink. This seems to work almost every time. Ironically, the only time it doesn't work is when the TV is already set to MonLink when it's turned on. Oh well.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #733 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

The first, and most annoying is that I absolutely cannot get one specific activity to work right. It's for when I watch HD DVDs. I have a Mitsubishi WS-55315. As part of the activity for when I watch HD DVDs, I have the remote set my TV to MonLink (the input for DVI). When I start this activity, it does not ever switch the TV to MonLink. It switches inputs, but always to the wrong input. Does anyone know why this is?

Couple possibilities:
1. It's configured to send the wrong IR command for MonLink. Go to device options on the web configuration, "adjust inputs". Step through & see what IR code it thinks it should send for "MonLink". E.g. on my WS-55313 it sends "InputSTB". Correct if you think it has the wrong one. Also at the beginning of this make sure it is set to "I go directly to the input I want".
2. Setting is correct, but somehow the code got corrupted or swapped with something else. Test on the remote by using the "device" button, go to TV, find out if the command it is sending (e.g. InputSTB) goes to the right input. If not, then you'll have to correct the code. You can do this by learning, set your mitsubishi remote to send the discrete codes by following these instructions. Alternately you can delete & readd the device which might correct this, though you might have to redo your activities.

Quote:

My other question is about the charger base. The charger base is absurdly sensitive. The slightest shift will make it stop charging. The other day I was woken up by a loud series of repeated beeping noises. Turns out it was the remote constantly shifting from charging to not charging. Has anyone else found that their charger base is this sensitive? Do I have a defective base?

Common complaint, I think Logitech is doing charging base swap-outs, search remotecentral.com Harmony section for details.
post #734 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

Never thought I'd want or like a universal remote, but after a couple of weeks I'm warming up to it. I now have it set to turn things off and on by activity, which is nice. For my HD-DVD, I'd like to have the tray eject when I power up the "activity". I can't seem to find an option for this. Anyone know how to do this?

In hind-sight, the answer (at least for me) seems obvious. I changed the power on for the HD-DVD to eject. And did the same for power off.
post #735 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

ronbo1011

I like my 720 especially for those controls, and the main Naviagation / Select button eas to use... However I do find the transport buttons a little low...but overall like it alot.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #736 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post

Couple possibilities:
1. It's configured to send the wrong IR command for MonLink. Go to device options on the web configuration, "adjust inputs". Step through & see what IR code it thinks it should send for "MonLink". E.g. on my WS-55313 it sends "InputSTB". Correct if you think it has the wrong one. Also at the beginning of this make sure it is set to "I go directly to the input I want".
2. Setting is correct, but somehow the code got corrupted or swapped with something else. Test on the remote by using the "device" button, go to TV, find out if the command it is sending (e.g. InputSTB) goes to the right input. If not, then you'll have to correct the code. You can do this by learning, set your mitsubishi remote to send the discrete codes by following these instructions. Alternately you can delete & readd the device which might correct this, though you might have to redo your activities.

Common complaint, I think Logitech is doing charging base swap-outs, search remotecentral.com Harmony section for details.

I sent an email to Logitech.

As for the MonLink, I got it to work by having it send a second "Switch to MonLink" signal. Don't ask me why it worked the second time, but not the first.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #737 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 04:03 PM

Another question, anyone else seen this? I have the 880 loaded from a csv of dvds, when I use the Media key to select one the dvd player menu remains on the screen, is there some way to clear it automatically? Using the Sony 995 if that matters.

thanks
post #738 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 09:43 PM

Can anyone tell me how far away the 880 works? My Comcast remote sucks. It only works from about 10 feet away and I often have to hit a button twice. When I sit at the dinner table, I have a pretty good line of site to the cable box but it is about 25 feet away. Will the 880 work at that range? If not, what about the 720? My DirecTV Tivo remote worked great from that distance so I know a regular remote can work.

Thanks.
post #739 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

Can anyone tell me how far away the 880 works? My Comcast remote sucks. It only works from about 10 feet away and I often have to hit a button twice. When I sit at the dinner table, I have a pretty good line of site to the cable box but it is about 25 feet away. Will the 880 work at that range? If not, what about the 720? My DirecTV Tivo remote worked great from that distance so I know a regular remote can work.

Thanks.

I routinely use my 880 from the kitchen with the TV/Comcast-DVR about 20-25 feet away and have had no problem with it.
post #740 of 6265 Old 08-27-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:

When I sit at the dinner table, I have a pretty good line of site to the cable box but it is about 25 feet away. Will the 880 work at that range?

Thanks.

From the bar in my home theater, i can bounce the IR from 27 feet. I have no problems from the rear row of seating which is about 24 feet.

Cheers
post #741 of 6265 Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 AM

Since setting up my 880 my Mitsubishi DLP will turn off my Tivo (Sony Series 1) controlled Comcast S/A 3250 HD box when the Mits is turned off. However, there is no IR out from the Mits connected up. The Tivo remains on. This happens even when pushing the power off button on the front of the Mits and keeping my hands off of the 880. Somehow the 880 has changed something. Any ideas?
post #742 of 6265 Old 08-28-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

In hind-sight, the answer (at least for me) seems obvious. I changed the power on for the HD-DVD to eject. And did the same for power off.

Carl: Trying to understand the procedure you used here to set this up; would you give some details?

Thanks,

-George
post #743 of 6265 Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Carl: Trying to understand the procedure you used here to set this up; would you give some details?

Thanks,

-George

Go to the device settings and select more options - then "adjust power settings".

Select next on the 1st screen. It then asks how to turn it off and on. Select the 2nd option - a button for on, and a different button for off. Then it will ask what command to use for power on, then another for power off. I selected "eject" for both.
post #744 of 6265 Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Due to space concerns I need to keep my Motorola DVR somewhat hidden from direct view - it's tucked down under in back of my DVD player. For the Comcast remote to work, I had to hold its remote down low, especially when the batteries were not brand new. I pretty had the same situation with my Harmony 659 as that of course runs on regular alkaline batteries as well. But the 880 is much more powerful and it consistently controls the DVR box from nearly every position - even when I'm standing up. For my situation it's the thing I like best about the 880 - that and not having to constantly keep putting fresh batteries in it.
post #745 of 6265 Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 AM

I currently have a Harmony 676 remote, I've had it for a little over a year, and it has gone to complete ****. Half the buttons barely work, I have to mash the stupid rubber buttons and jiggle them around to get them to work, and only sometimes will it work. A lot of times it'll double push. That's awesome when you're hitting previous channel, cause you'll end up on the same channel you were watching when you hit the button! Oh yea, and the foam that presses down on the batteries is worn out so the buttons pop up some, that coupled with the fact that the plastic tab on the bottom of the battery cover snapped off, and you get a remote that shuts off occasionally because the batteries have popped loose.

Alright, enough off topic.

I'm about 3 button mashes from hurling this thing against a wall, so I'm going to need a new one soon. How do the 880's buttons hold up compared? It seems that they would be a little better due to the design of them? Has anyone had any similar problems with the 880?

Thanks everyone.
post #746 of 6265 Old 08-29-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph98gt View Post

I currently have a Harmony 676 remote, I've had it for a little over a year, and it has gone to complete ****. Half the buttons barely work, I have to mash the stupid rubber buttons and jiggle them around to get them to work, and only sometimes will it work. A lot of times it'll double push. That's awesome when you're hitting previous channel, cause you'll end up on the same channel you were watching when you hit the button! Oh yea, and the foam that presses down on the batteries is worn out so the buttons pop up some, that coupled with the fact that the plastic tab on the bottom of the battery cover snapped off, and you get a remote that shuts off occasionally because the batteries have popped loose.

Alright, enough off topic.

I'm about 3 button mashes from hurling this thing against a wall, so I'm going to need a new one soon. How do the 880's buttons hold up compared? It seems that they would be a little better due to the design of them? Has anyone had any similar problems with the 880?

Thanks everyone.

If you're a Costco member I moight suggest the 720, close to the 880 with Costco protection. I have a 2 year old 676 with NONE of the trouble yours has???

Do you have a dog?

post #747 of 6265 Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:

If you're a Costco member I moight suggest the 720, close to the 880 with Costco protection. I have a 2 year old 676 with NONE of the trouble yours has???

Do you have a dog?

hah.. no dog no.. it just kept getting worse in worse.. sucks it happened just after a year of ownership.

I haven't read anything about the 720.. I have a Costco membership though! Is it cheaper than the current deal that Dell is running?
post #748 of 6265 Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph98gt View Post

hah.. no dog no.. it just kept getting worse in worse.. sucks it happened just after a year of ownership.

I haven't read anything about the 720.. I have a Costco membership though! Is it cheaper than the current deal that Dell is running?

It's actually about $20 more than the curren Dell deal on the 880. I like my 880, but can see benefits of the 720, wish it had the 8 places instead of 6 by the LCD.

post #749 of 6265 Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 PM

If I only have four activities, is there a way to leave the other 4 slots on the color screen "blank"? Thanks. (BTW, I just ordered my 880 through Amazon).
post #750 of 6265 Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreier View Post

If I only have four activities, is there a way to leave the other 4 slots on the color screen "blank"? Thanks. (BTW, I just ordered my 880 through Amazon).

Each Activity goes all the way across the screen, so you'll be good to go. The other 4 soft buttons will show up once your into an activity.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page