Harman Kardon TC30 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 291 Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GKCMilner,

I encountered the same problem today when trying to update my TC 30. I'm using version 5.1.4 as well and I too get a blank window when attempting to add a new device.

To work around the problem I went directly to the following website in a normal Firefox browser window (omit spaces in the following URL)
http : // members.harmonyremote.com

You have to login in twice, but once you do you should see the exact same interface that you would see in the harman/kardon TC30 software. Make the changes you need in your web browser and then log out. Then go back and re-run the harman/kardon TC30 software and update your remote. Detailed steps are below. Worked for me, hope it works for you too.

---

TO ADD A NEW DEVICE TO A harman/kardon TC30 Remote *

Open the following URL in a normal Firefox browser (omit spaces in the following URL)

When you see the first page that says "Software Update Available We have detected you are using a previous release of our client software. Please upgrade the software in order to make use of its enhanced features." you can just click the Next button.

The next screen should be a login screen. Enter the username and password you originally used when setting up your harman/kardon TC30 software.

Next you'll see another page that says "Software Update Available...". Just click next.

Next you should see the harman/kardon login page with the familiar blue background. Log in again with the username and password you originally used when setting up your harman/kardon TC30 software.

Once you're in, make any desired changes (i.e., add new devices).

When you're done, log out.

Re-run the harman/kardon TC30 software and update your remote.

* I got the idea for this from the Concordance project, which is cross-platform software for programming Logitech Harmony remotes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 291 Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Many thanks, jfmole!

I was able to add the AVR 3600 to my remote (as well as a couple other devices) by going to the harmony website...not sure why HK doesn't just update their link since it seems that you actually go to the same setup tool...oh well.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmole View Post

GKCMilner,

I encountered the same problem today when trying to update my TC 30. I'm using version 5.1.4 as well and I too get a blank window when attempting to add a new device.

To work around the problem I went directly to the following website in a normal Firefox browser window (omit spaces in the following URL)

You have to login in twice, but once you do you should see the exact same interface that you would see in the harman/kardon TC30 software. Make the changes you need in your web browser and then log out. Then go back and re-run the harman/kardon TC30 software and update your remote. Detailed steps are below. Worked for me, hope it works for you too.

---

TO ADD A NEW DEVICE TO A harman/kardon TC30 Remote *

Open the following URL in a normal Firefox browser (omit spaces in the following URL)

When you see the first page that says "Software Update Available We have detected you are using a previous release of our client software. Please upgrade the software in order to make use of its enhanced features." you can just click the Next button.

The next screen should be a login screen. Enter the username and password you originally used when setting up your harman/kardon TC30 software.

Next you'll see another page that says "Software Update Available...". Just click next.

Next you should see the harman/kardon login page with the familiar blue background. Log in again with the username and password you originally used when setting up your harman/kardon TC30 software.

Once you're in, make any desired changes (i.e., add new devices).

When you're done, log out.

Re-run the harman/kardon TC30 software and update your remote.

* I got the idea for this from the Concordance project, which is cross-platform software for programming Logitech Harmony remotes

post #273 of 291 Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 AM

When i click on next upon getting the update message i get sent to the harman kardon web site without any further options.

Anyone has had this problem?
post #274 of 291 Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd85 View Post

When i click on next upon getting the update message i get sent to the harman kardon web site without any further options.

Anyone has had this problem?

That's the same problem I'm having.
post #275 of 291 Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You are experiencing that problem since the TC30 website no longer exists worst yet the TC30 is no longer supported. Sorry for the bad news. Maybe DocGriffinStone can help you.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #276 of 291 Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 AM

For anyone that is still trying to find a way to get the Harman Kardon TC 30 working with Windows 7, read on.

The software does not work in Windows 7.

I have systems running 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7. I tried compatibility modes and Virtual Machine XP Mode. Whatever configuration I tried was met with the same results. I could update the activities through the software, but could not connect and update the software on the remote. I did overcome this obstacle, but my fix will not work for everyone. Get your old computer (or hard drive) out of the garage, install Windows XP, install version 5.1.4 of the Harman Kardon TC 30 software (link available in this thread), connect your remote, and everything works perfectly. I was finally able to update my remote to work with my new home theater configuration and it was only a little frustrating to have to dust off the old comp

As a side note, I installed the Harmony 880 remote software on my Windows 7 x64 system and it works fine to update devices and activities. I just cannot get it to connect to the remote for the hardware update.

Hope this helps, viva la TC 30!!!

Updated 09/03/10

Unbelievable!!! I changed the configuration on one of my devices using the harmony software. I then connected the TC 30 and ran the update using the HK 5.1.4 software on the XP machine that has been untouched since my last update and the software crashes as soon as it connects to the remote to begin the update. I reinstalled the software, same thing. I reinstalled the OS and the software, same thing! After plenty of troubleshooting on my end, I called Harman Kardon. Their tech support gave me the Logitech tech support number. Logitech wanted to run through all of the troubleshooting I had already done (except the OS reinstall). After about 30 minutes of running through basics and waiting on hold, they gave me an incident number and transferred me to their next tier tech support. I could not stay on the phone any longer and called it a day.

Fast forward to this evening and I think I found the answer...the website + the Logitech and Harman Kardon remote software installed = functioning update capabilities in Windows 7 (not positive the Logitech software is needed). members.harmonyremote.com allows me to update using the installed 5.1.4 software by dowloading these files called connectivity.ezhex and update.ezhex. I just tested this by adding a device and changing an activity. This fix is much more convenient than a separate machine running XP so I hope it works consistently. Please note that I did get caught in a loop on one occasion. The site kept telling me to upgrade my software when I attempted to login via the website. I closed the browser, opened a new browser session, logged into the website, and I was able to update the remote again.

My Setup
My OS: Windows 7 x64 (fully updated)
My Browser: Firefox 3.6.8
H/K Software Installed: 5.1.4
Logitech Harmony Software Installed: 7.7.0
TC 30 Firmware Version: 4.2.2
post #277 of 291 Old 09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalbouwman View Post

I've contact Harman Kardon and they send me the folowing asnwer. It works on both XP as Vista (at least is does with me).
It seems that they still (or perhaps again) give support on the TC30.

>>
Thank you for contacting Harman Kardon. I am sorry to hear that you have lost your software CD. I have provided specific instructions on how to
reinstall the software below. Make certain that all anti virus, spyware blockers and pop up blockers are disabled and then,

I would like for you try the following.

Note: Step 3 is very important

1. Uninstall the Harman Kardon Software if it is already installed (Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs).
2. Download the Harman Kardon Software from: http://images.harmonyremote.com/Easy....4-Win-x86.exe
3. Follow the wizard to install the software. Once the installation is complete the software will attempt to launch. It will then attempt to check for the latest software update.
The software prompt the user to upgrade from version 5.1.4.88 to 5.3.2.6. Click on "Cancel" then select "Yes" to the question "Are you sure you want to cancel this setup?". Click "Finish" on the next screen.
4. Reboot the Computer.
5. After the computer reboots, the "HK" icon will be located in the task bar. Double click on "HK" icon to launch the software.
6. Harmony Kardon 5.1.4 software will then launch.
<<

I followed the procedure and still have issues. I get an "Unable to Display Content" after I try to update! Yikes.
post #278 of 291 Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Just thought I would follow-up. My remote has been sitting in a drawer for the last few months and I have been looking around for a replacement. I just hadn't bought one because I am still mad that this like new TC30 remote is no longer supported by H/K.
Well, about a month ago I bought a new (to me) laptop. I didn't bother trying the remote with it since I tried the remote with two other laptops without success. Well today I was about to buy a replacement, but before I did I gave it a try with the new computer. It is running Windows 7 64-bit. I set the shortcut up as XP sp3 compatible. After I restarted the computer I plugged in the remote and the computer recognized and installed it. Then I ran the software, logged in, and clicked "Update remote". lo-and-behold it worked!
I don't know if its the new computer or if it's the HArmany server now working, but I recommend giving it a try before trashing the remote.
post #279 of 291 Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Location: St. Catharines (near Niagara Falls) Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKCMilner View Post

Then I ran the software, logged in, and clicked "Update remote". lo-and-behold it worked!
I don't know if its the new computer or if it's the HArmany server now working, but I recommend giving it a try before trashing the remote.

I'm so spooked now by everything I'm reading here........I'll probably never mess with my TC30 again, even though there are some simple updates I neglected to make when I last had the software up and running.

I did make a note to myself.....and paste it on my desktop....never to update beyond, I think it was ver. 5.1.....but, sounds like ANY playing with it is asking for the death knell!!!

Over and out!!
Scotty
post #280 of 291 Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco View Post

I'm so spooked now by everything I'm reading here........I'll probably never mess with my TC30 again, even though there are some simple updates I neglected to make when I last had the software up and running.

I did make a note to myself.....and paste it on my desktop....never to update beyond, I think it was ver. 5.1.....but, sounds like ANY playing with it is asking for the death knell!!!

Over and out!!
Scotty

After my TC30 became a brick I bought a Harmony 670 and used it happily for a number of years. It was just about worn out with bad key contact so my wife bought me a new Harmony One for Christmas. So far I love it. If you liked the TC30 you'll surely love the Harmony One. It is on sale at Best Buy for $159. regular price is $199.

Continued good luck with your TC30.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #281 of 291 Old 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

After my TC30 became a brick I bought a Harmony 670 and used it happily for a number of years. It was just about worn out with bad key contact so my wife bought me a new Harmony One for Christmas. So far I love it. If you liked the TC30 you'll surely love the Harmony One. It is on sale at Best Buy for $159. regular price is $199.

Continued good luck with your TC30.

I'll second the recommendation of the Harmony One. I've had mine for about a year and it works flawlessly.

My TC30 got to the point it wouldn't hold a charge and I wasn't about to spend $$ on a replacement battery for a remote no longer supported.
post #282 of 291 Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 AM

This is what works for me:
You might run into some download dialogues while updating the remote. Choose to execute the download with the installed software.

Hope this helps.
post #283 of 291 Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3aan View Post

This is what works for me:
You might run into some download dialogues while updating the remote. Choose to execute the download with the installed software.

Hope this helps.

I did what you asked. I have a Dell laptop running Win 7 64-bit. I installed Firefox 4.0 Beta 10. I installed TC30 5.1.4 software. When it finished installing, it gave an error saying some java virtual machine crashed. I went to http://www.mactc30.com and it gave me the following. Looks like the browser is not compatible. Did you have to change the user agent or anything like that in Firefox?

Any ideas. So frustrating.
post #284 of 291 Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Just hit 'Next'
post #285 of 291 Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3aan View Post

Just hit 'Next'

That just took me to a random harman kardon page. I will have to try it again tonight. Also, would the firmware on the TC30 be significant. Mine says it is 4.2. Some other people said it is 4.2.2.
post #286 of 291 Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a long history of TC30 software update not working. I think my suspicions were correct and I was able to update it successfully this evening.

Everytime, I used the http://www.mactc30.com, I got a newer looking harmony remote screen instead of the Harman Kardon screen. While some other people got it to work from here, I always got the "Unable to Display Content" page.

I had tried to get it to work with multiple computers, multiple operating systems, multiple cables, etc. all with the same result.

Then today, I decided to use the http://members.harmonyremote.com and then I got a really old looking interface. Then I made a change to my configuration. Then I tried to update it from there and it did not work - got Unable to Display Content again.

Then I went back to http://www.mactc30.com and then I got the Harman Kardon interface instead of the Harmony interface. Voila - Immediately I had hope and I tried updating the software and it did.

It got all updated - even the date/time got updated.
post #287 of 291 Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I had a long history of TC30 software update not working. I think my suspicions were correct and I was able to update it successfully this evening.

Everytime, I used the http://www.mactc30.com, I got a newer looking harmony remote screen instead of the Harman Kardon screen. While some other people got it to work from here, I always got the "Unable to Display Content" page.

It got all updated - even the date/time got updated.

Does this mean you're making all your moves on a Macintosh?

I've got a Lenovo laptop here; suppose it'll work for me?

May I call you?
post #288 of 291 Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmole View Post

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "login twice". Could you explain?

Also, further down you say "The next screen should be a login screen. Enter the username and password you originally used when setting up your harman/kardon TC30 software.

What if I can't remember/find the ID and password I "originally" used? Can I set up a "new account"?

My biggest concern is (as you will see in my other post)......will this software/online routine work on a Windows 7, 64bit machine?

And, finally, at the bottom of your post.........it says "Re-run the harman/kardon TC30 software and update your remote..........* I got the idea for this from the Concordance project, which is cross-platform software for programming Logitech Harmony remotes"

Is this part of YOUR instructions?? Or something you cut and pasted from elsewhere.

Sorry to sound like such a dummy here.......but, in big fear of totally screwing this remote up by trying to re-program on a Win 7 laptop.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
post #289 of 291 Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM

P.S. Even if I CAN remember/recover/find my "original" login ID and password......since I'm on a different computer now anyway, this wouldn't accomplish anything, right?

If the answer is YES, it wouldn't, then I assume I'm starting "from scratch" anyway in assigning devices, selecting sequencing etc...........or, does the software pick up all the existing info from the TC30 once it "communicates" with it?
post #290 of 291 Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM

OK.......got an answer back from Erikson Consumer today (who seem to be related to this rat's nest of brands and products involving Harman Kardon and Logitech and Harmony).

Here's what he said:

Hi Michael,

Logitech has created a link in order for you to be able to use your TC30. Please click the following link to continue use of your Harmony remote.

http://members.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/ProcessCheckBrowser/CB_InvalidBrowser2.asp?ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2FNew%2FProcLogin%2FStart.asp%3FBrowserIsChecked%3DTrue&SkinId=Harmony&OS=Win
post #291 of 291 Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Xaj

Nothing mentioned above works for me any longer. I did manage to get this working by this lengthy process:

1) Install Windows XP 32-bit VM through VirtualBox on my computer (Quickest approach mentioned here)
2) Install VirtualBox guest additions
3) Install the easyzapper 0_5_1_4_88.exe file in the XP VM
4) Remove battery from TC-30, and plug in/power by USB
5, ?, ?, ... *) Associate the TC-30 with the VM through VirtualBox interface every time it restarts
6) Use the harmony interface available at www.mactc30.com (I pray they don't let the domain expire any time soon!)
7) Create an account not associated with any harmony remotes, and associate it with the TC-30.
8) Setup Harmony 7.7 on a different computer that has never been used for any harmony remotes and login with the credentials I used to setup the TC-30 on www.mactc30.com
9) URL Encode (Not decode) your email address and password individually at this address: http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/dencoder/
9) Visit this specific address to get around some annoying forced-logout bug:
http://www.mactc30.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ClassId=HarmonyProcess%2EProcLogin&RelativePath=ProcLogin%2F&ReturnUrl=%2E%2E%2FUserHome%2Easp&AccountType=Normal&Error=&Logout=False&BrowserType=Mozilla%2F4%2E0%20%28compatible%3B%20MSIE%206%2E0%3B%20Windows%20NT%205%2E1%3B%20SV1%29&UserName=URL ENCODED EMAIL ADDRESS&Password=URL ENCODED PASSWORD
10) Configure your remote on the Harmony 7.7 interface on your alternate computer. It's much easier to use than trying to work around the screwed up interfaces in the HK interface. If it tries to get you to plug in your remote, grab the HEX file from the virtual machine and run it on the machine with H7.7 installer.
11) Click update in the mactc30 page above after going through the hoops to get your remote ready to program. The update button is probably going to be partially obscured on your VM, it's the very bottom one if you can't read it, on the main page. Make sure you have a resolution of 1024x768 or higher on the VM, and your browser window is maximized. (See screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/pAIl0b9.png for reference)
12) Follow through the steps like you would a normal harmony remote, and you should be good.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news that this is such a hassle, now, but that's just the fact of the matter. It's too bad, especially since the TC-30 had all the advantages of the best Harmony remotes of that generation, and the size of the smaller remotes.

Also side note: Set a slideshow with a black image, and a black background for your TC-30 if you want to save the screen life. It burns in the default image very quickly, in my experience. You'll find those in the H7.7 panel under "Remote Settings" tab.

Let me know if you have trouble with the above technique, as I mentioned, that URL might break again down the road.

Also, side note: it looks like the URL I mentioned above works in Chrome for me... What the... What a waste of time!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page