post #91 of 291 Old 12-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

Well, thanks a lot. If yo can clarify one more thing, I would be grateful. It seems the Logitechs are a bit more functional for cable TV -set-top boxes, (concerning channels, favorites and all). Is that right? Is it possible to assign to screen buttons the "page up/page down" function the Harmony 720 has on hard buttons (I'm new to Universal Remotes, and couldn't understand this point)? Thanks.

First, the easy one - page up/down: you definitely can assign them to soft buttons as well as any button from original remote. Even better: in most cases you don't need to assign them explicitly, they will be there already. Even more: you can rearrange soft buttons any way you like to make these buttons easier accessible for you.
Now, favorites. Not all Logitechs support them. If remote has Media button it support them.
On other side you can find some hacks (tricks not supported officially) how to put favorites on 720 and TC30 somewhere on this forum. I never tried them, never been interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 291 Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

I didn't know that! Sounds like a fantastic feature to have if you have two of the same model.

That's the idea.
But, as always, flexibility is also a source of some confusion. Let's say a device has a default code set A in Harmony database. One has the device set to be controlled by set B. He/she becomes confused immediately, as I was. Well, at least, I had an excuse: I didn't test it right away and needed to use it in two weeks for the first time. As some go into troubleshooting mode and find the second set in the database or reassign code set in the device, others jump to the Web and start bashing Logitech in 100 places.
post #93 of 291 Old 12-25-2006, 11:24 AM

I just got a TC30, set it up, or so I thought. How do I go back and add a device?
I forgot to enter that I have DirecTV.

PLEASE HELP
post #94 of 291 Old 12-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Login, devices, "add a device" above all devices.
post #95 of 291 Old 12-26-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

First, the easy one - page up/down: you definitely can assign them to soft buttons as well as any button from original remote. Even better: in most cases you don't need to assign them explicitly, they will be there already. Even more: you can rearrange soft buttons any way you like to make these buttons easier accessible for you.
Now, favorites. Not all Logitechs support them. If remote has Media button it support them.
On other side you can find some hacks (tricks not supported officially) how to put favorites on 720 and TC30 somewhere on this forum. I never tried them, never been interested.

After posting at least 3 questions in other threads, yours were the first replies I've got!

I thanked you beforehand in my question, but to make it sure: thanks for the help.
post #96 of 291 Old 12-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

I thanked you beforehand in my question, but to make it sure: thanks for the help.

You're very welcome, I accepted your first Thanks beforehand too.
post #97 of 291 Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM

I just received my TC30 and am having trouble with the installation process. The installation disc has 2 files to which to work with: autorun.inf and setup.exe.

I'm on a mac so setup.exe is of no use to me. Upon searching, I found out that the .inf file can be opened on a mac using OsiriX. I found and downloaded OsiriX but now can't get autorun.inf to open.

I know this question probably is more suited for the computer portion of this forum but since there may be a few mac users out there that have installed the HK TC30, I thought it would hurt.

Any suggestions?

BTW, mine also came with the sticker glued to the screen. Ridiculous.

Thanks in advance.

-Angel
post #98 of 291 Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM

Hi, folks. Just received my TC-30, to replace a Harmony 520. I'm curious about one small difference. I can easily tell when the 520 is busy sending commands, and receive immediate feedback when I have pressed a button, because it has a blue LED surrounding the Activities button which lights while it is actually transmitting. The TC-30 appears to have a blue lens around Activities, but it never lights up. Does yours? Perhaps mine is defective in that regard.

BTW, for those asking how to change remote type in your online account when moving from Harmony to HK--after much fiddling, I couldn't find a way to do it. The Harmony and HK use different drivers, and one does not recognize the USB device type of the other. Also tried using both of the built-in browsers, and going to the web address directly in Firefox (so I could use hugbug's incredibly useful plug-in; search for it, as avsforum won't let me post a link yet) and ran into browser vs. driver incompatibilities as well. So now I'm attempting to duplicate my setup, which is very time-consuming. The web interface gets very annoying and tedious after a while.
post #99 of 291 Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppww View Post

Hi, folks. Just received my TC-30, to replace a Harmony 520. I'm curious about one small difference. I can easily tell when the 520 is busy sending commands, and receive immediate feedback when I have pressed a button, because it has a blue LED surrounding the Activities button which lights while it is actually transmitting. The TC-30 appears to have a blue lens around Activities, but it never lights up. Does yours? Perhaps mine is defective in that regard.

BTW, for those asking how to change remote type in your online account when moving from Harmony to HK--after much fiddling, I couldn't find a way to do it. The Harmony and HK use different drivers, and one does not recognize the USB device type of the other. Also tried using both of the built-in browsers, and going to the web address directly in Firefox (so I could use hugbug's incredibly useful plug-in; search for it, as avsforum won't let me post a link yet) and ran into browser vs. driver incompatibilities as well. So now I'm attempting to duplicate my setup, which is very time-consuming. The web interface gets very annoying and tedious after a while.

Feedback - TC30 has an icon on LCD to the left of charging status - 3-bar battery, which lights up when you send commands. It's not that noticeable as 520's, but it's not that distractible.

I don't use any browser, only software for HK V5 5.3.2. With this software I can login into my HK account as well as Harmony 670. The only nuance - I have to enter id and password twice while switching between TC30 and 670. The first time it switches only background between Harman Kardon and Logitech Harmony, the second - actually lets me in. Title is always the same, but GUI is unique for each case.
I don't believe drivers are different. There are two new devices: "HID-compliant device" which does not require any driver at all, the second - "USB Human Interface Device" which uses generic HID and HID-USB drivers.
post #100 of 291 Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Pagan View Post

I just received my TC30 and am having trouble with the installation process. The installation disc has 2 files to which to work with: autorun.inf and setup.exe.

I'm on a mac so setup.exe is of no use to me. Upon searching, I found out that the .inf file can be opened on a mac using OsiriX. I found and downloaded OsiriX but now can't get autorun.inf to open.

I know this question probably is more suited for the computer portion of this forum but since there may be a few mac users out there that have installed the HK TC30, I thought it would hurt.

-Angel

Angel, I was in the same boat as you. The Mac software just doesn't seem to be on the CD as far as I can tell. What you need to do is log on to your account at www.mactc30.com or create an account there if you don't have one yet. Once you're logged in click on "support" and scroll down the support page until you see the software download link. Install the software (obviously) and you should be good to go.

Personally, I've found the whole programming experience to be VERY tedious and somewhat maddening. Good luck!
post #101 of 291 Old 01-02-2007, 04:06 AM

RenoDavid, after spending the better part of a day trying to get this done, I finally succeeded in a matter of minutes following your instructions.

Thanks a great deal.

-Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDavid View Post

Angel, I was in the same boat as you. The Mac software just doesn't seem to be on the CD as far as I can tell. What you need to do is log on to your account at www.mactc30.com or create an account there if you don't have one yet. Once you're logged in click on "support" and scroll down the support page until you see the software download link. Install the software (obviously) and you should be good to go.

Personally, I've found the whole programming experience to be VERY tedious and somewhat maddening. Good luck!

post #102 of 291 Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Just received the TC30 and it is charging...so far I have done nothing except spend 20 minutes getting the sticker off the display.

Who puts a sticker on the most important part of a device like this? Who wants to risk scratching their screen before they even turn the thing on??

Not an "oil change removable sticker". I mean a freakin' permanent sticker with industrial stickum.

Sure I was aware of this fubar since I read this forum ahead of time, but that doesn't make the marketing design guy who did it any less of any idiot!

Carefully scrape the top layer off with fingernail and/or thumbnail, then use GooGone with Qtips to loosen the adhesive. Don't get the liquids on any buttons! Wipe it off with a clean cloth, repeat as necessary.

Carefully follow up with Windex on a paper towel.
post #103 of 291 Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobot View Post

Just received the TC30 and it is charging...so far I have done nothing except spend 20 minutes getting the sticker off the display.

Who puts a sticker on the most important part of a device like this? Who wants to risk scratching their screen before they even turn the thing on??

Not an "oil change removable sticker". I mean a freakin' permanent sticker with industrial stickum.

Sure I was aware of this fubar since I read this forum ahead of time, but that doesn't make the marketing design guy who did it any less of any idiot!

Carefully scrape the top layer off with fingernail and/or thumbnail, then use GooGone with Qtips to loosen the adhesive. Don't get the liquids on any buttons! Wipe it off with a clean cloth, repeat as necessary.

Carefully follow up with Windex on a paper towel.

The folks at HK must be having a difficult time getting the directive to STOP doing such an idiotic thing to the manufacturer in who knows what country. I feel very lucky that mine was a static sticker not a glued on sticker. I feel your pain on this.
post #104 of 291 Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM

My TC30 has taken to rebooting itself once or twice a day when I set it back in the cradle after use. Any idea why or how to remedy that?
post #105 of 291 Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 PM

I received my TC30 5 days ago and have mixed reviews of it at this time. On one hand, it seems fairly powerful, feature packed and 'if' set up right will do what its designed to do. Ergonomically it seems fairly well designed, has a good feel, but some of the buttons are too small for big hands. The soft key buttons are too close together for non-visual pressing, making them a bit clumsy to use.

What has me wondering if this device will make a permanent home in my house, is the difficulty of programming the thing. I should first say that I am a techie, an older techie, but make a living programming things. What confounds me is that the maze of pages and questions and bizarre locations of the setup dialogs - intended to make it easy for the techno lame, just makes it tedious and difficult for those that understand logic and just want to see the list of options, commands and get on with it. To be specific (and fair), most of the commands are visible, such as the commands that can be added on to selecting an 'Activity'. But what I can't seem to get to is those commands that it has already decided on, especially the commands for turning the devices on and off. As far as I can tell, they are invisible to me and controlled by some question I answered several days ago. For you developer types - the problem is that I can't get to the source code! That leaves me with activities that turn off devices when I want them on. Leaves them off when I want to turn them on. The TC30 has the 'Help' feature that will ask you a series of questions and 're-synch' the power toggles, but having to use that every time is a pain. I have emailed their tech support 4 or 5 times and they have tried to help, but I really have not gotten any good answers from them. I've had to program additional 'On' commands in the Activities additional commands list to ensure the device is on when the subsequent commands are sent. I've also been baffled by what the TC30 power button is supposed to do when an activity is selected. Should it turn everything off? I get varied somewhat random behavior from using it.

To summarize, I am not sure I will keep this - as it is not ready to be introduced to my tech adverse wife.

Recommendation - if you just want to do basic stuff and are not fussy about the details, this remote may be for you. If you want to really fine tune your system, you might want to look elsewhere.

Doug

Oh, I forgot. I got one of those horrible stickers over the screen. May the idiot that chose that material be sentenced to removing and cleaning several million of those.
post #106 of 291 Old 01-13-2007, 06:22 PM

I just got mine also. Same sticker thing on the LCD. Freaking idiotic moronic move. I used rubbing alcohol to get it off.

It took me about two hours to get it real to close to what I want. My problem is that the battery won't fully charge. I know it's resting ok on the cradle, the speaker horn thing flashes on when I place it on the cradle, it's been on there for hours yet it won't go past 2 bars. Anyone else having this issue?
post #107 of 291 Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymil View Post

I just got mine also. Same sticker thing on the LCD. Freaking idiotic moronic move. I used rubbing alcohol to get it off.

It took me about two hours to get it real to close to what I want. My problem is that the battery won't fully charge. I know it's resting ok on the cradle, the speaker horn thing flashes on when I place it on the cradle, it's been on there for hours yet it won't go past 2 bars. Anyone else having this issue?

Mine too seems to have an issue charging above 2 bars. I take it off the dock and it's immediately at 2 bars, but seems to hold charge.
post #108 of 291 Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 AM

I was going to update the software, to 5.1.4 I get some question about mozilla and firefox, anyone know what this is about. When I tell it to download it my computer can't seem to do it.

Thanks in advance.
post #109 of 291 Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 AM

Liked: 14
had the same issue with the charge immediately going to 2 bars. i ran the battery down to where the remote wouldn't work then charged overnight. did this twice and now it stays at 3 bars. i read it was common for lithium batteries charge indicators to get out of sync. read this tip on the ipod site.

so far happy with the remote. only problem was organizing the lcd buttons. the software keeps moving them around. example i want the aspect button to be in the same place for tv and the dvd so i can do it by feel.
post #110 of 291 Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 AM

I called tech support regarding the charging and bar issues. He told me it was a software glitch and Harmony was working on a fix. Supposedly even if the remote shows 2 bars, it's really fully charged.
post #111 of 291 Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Good thread! I want to tag along and pick one of these up in the future.
post #112 of 291 Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM

I have been having this remote for about one week. I like it a lot, except the following same issues other people also ran into:

1. Stupid permanent sticker. Can't believe they put this on this 200-dollar device. I was furious until I used a wet towel to remove it.

2. Not secure in its charging dock.

3. Initially only two bars fully charged. but it went away after two charging cycles. Now it is 3 bars.

4. Still trying to figure out how to go back to "Watch TV" mode after selecting cablebox to do some cablebox-specific button operations. And too lazy to check its online manual. Yeah a paper manual would certainly help. I paid a lot of money for this and a manual is not too much to ask for.
post #113 of 291 Old 02-12-2007, 11:04 AM

I have two VCR's set up on my HK TC-30 - both are Sony, one is an SVHS and the other is a SuperBetamax. The functions on the TC-30 work just fine. Now I've added my older Sony branded TiVo to the mix. I added it to the device list and chose the "PVR" description and want to add an activity for it. Each time I attempt to do so, the first question I am asked is what device do I use to watch recorded video? I hesitate to go beyond this question for fear that I will mess up the functionality of the previously described Sony VCR's. Does anyone else have VCR's and a PVR set up on their TC-30? If I just go ahead and answer the question I am being asked and find out that HK's software is taking me in a direction I don't care to go, can I just cancel the process and retain the remote's settings as they currently are?
post #114 of 291 Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Pagan View Post

Any suggestions?

BTW, mine also came with the sticker glued to the screen. Ridiculous.

Thanks in advance.

-Angel

Sounds like you already got the install figured out, but just an FYI - the autorun.inf file is just basically an auto-loading program that triggers another file when you put the disc in the drive. It'll usually point towards another file like the setup.exe file.
post #115 of 291 Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweight View Post

4. Still trying to figure out how to go back to "Watch TV" mode after selecting cablebox to do some cablebox-specific button operations. And too lazy to check its online manual. Yeah a paper manual would certainly help. I paid a lot of money for this and a manual is not too much to ask for.

Just press the "Device" button twice.
post #116 of 291 Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNLUVINIT View Post

I have two VCR's set up on my HK TC-30 - both are Sony, one is an SVHS and the other is a SuperBetamax. The functions on the TC-30 work just fine. Now I've added my older Sony branded TiVo to the mix. I added it to the device list and chose the "PVR" description and want to add an activity for it. Each time I attempt to do so, the first question I am asked is what device do I use to watch recorded video? I hesitate to go beyond this question for fear that I will mess up the functionality of the previously described Sony VCR's. Does anyone else have VCR's and a PVR set up on their TC-30? If I just go ahead and answer the question I am being asked and find out that HK's software is taking me in a direction I don't care to go, can I just cancel the process and retain the remote's settings as they currently are?

The second activity won't affect the functionality of the first. You will just end up with 2 different "Watch PVR" activities, which you can rename to whatever you want.
post #117 of 291 Old 02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

I have been looking at getting my first universal remote for a few weeks now.

Just about made on my mind on the TC 30 but have one concern.

I will be using the free TV guide listings.

Is there a way to assign the missing media button functions to a soft key or does the online configurator 'know' the TC 30 does not have the button so it does not provide that button's options?

tia

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #118 of 291 Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 AM

Thank you CZZER. I apologize for the delay in saying that but I just noticed your response today. For whatever reason, I didn't receive an e-mail notification. Thanks again - I'll give this a try.
post #119 of 291 Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

I have been looking at getting my first universal remote for a few weeks now.

Just about made on my mind on the TC 30 but have one concern.

I will be using the free TV guide listings.

Is there a way to assign the missing media button functions to a soft key or does the online configurator 'know' the TC 30 does not have the button so it does not provide that button's options?

tia

No, there is no way to assign any button as "media button", but check this

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=779512
post #120 of 291 Old 02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Thx, good to know.

Just to be clear, there is a way with the TC 30 to navigate TV Guide? Left, right, up and down (assuming I add up and down to soft keys) or can I use the joy stick to do this?

tia

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page