Harmony 720 Official Thread. For all info and FAQs - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1732 Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd stay away from the Harman Kardon TC30 (very similar to the Harmony 720) I got one with my AVR745 and it crapped out in less than 2 months (and didn't work well when it WAS working).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1732 Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 PM

I bought the 720 yesterday from Costco and had to return it because the Activities button was dead. I have it setup now and the tilt sensor did not work. I did some searches and found that removing the battery sometimes helps. I removed the battery and the tilt did work after that but only for about an hour. Is this a common problem with these remotes? I hate to take another one back. Does anyone know a definite fix?
post #93 of 1732 Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To fix the tilt problem...

Disable tilt functionality in the Harmony software. The re-enable it.

That should fix it for good. Sometimes you have to do this again every 8-12 weeks.
post #94 of 1732 Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

To fix the tilt problem...

Disable tilt functionality in the Harmony software. The re-enable it.

That should fix it for good. Sometimes you have to do this again every 8-12 weeks.

I actually tried that first and it did not help. I removed the battery for 10 minutes and that fixed it for about an hour. I just removed the batter again for about 10 seconds and put it back it and it works fine again. Now if I can just get to the user manual to figure out how to change the items for the PVR on the activity button to put other controls there. When I try to open the manual, it just opens a window that sits there forever. I'm sure it will all come together in the end. I think I'm going to enjoy it once I get it set up completely.
post #95 of 1732 Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 AM

I'm having a few problems. Let's say I program "Watch my DVR". If I need to turn off the DVR, I am forced to hit "Devices", then "DVR" and find the off key.

Problem is if I then want to change the TV volume, I have to hit "Activities", "Watch my DVR" and then hit the volume key.

Is there a way to control the TV volume while in the DVR menu? Thanks.
post #96 of 1732 Old 09-08-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden View Post

I'm having a few problems. Let's say I program "Watch my DVR". If I need to turn off the DVR, I am forced to hit "Devices", then "DVR" and find the off key.

Problem is if I then want to change the TV volume, I have to hit "Activities", "Watch my DVR" and then hit the volume key.

There may be a direct way but couldn't you just "learn" the volume controls and use the volume on the TV remote to set it?
post #97 of 1732 Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden View Post

So you are watching your DVR, then you no longer want to watch your DVR, but want to just watch TV instead?

Don't turn the DVR off using device mode. This is going against the way Harmony's are designed to be used, and will confuse Smart State.

Instead, you should have a "Watch TV" activity set up, which only has the TV device in it.
When you are finished with the DVR, select "Watch TV" and it will turn the DVR off, leave the TV on and give you control of the TV.

Basically, you should set up as many activities as required to cover all the various viewing/listening situations you have, then let the remote look after all the power and input switching duties.
post #98 of 1732 Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM
HPW

Has anyone had success implementing a Harmony 720 with either a Moxi DVR or Denon AVR-2807? Any pros/cons?
post #99 of 1732 Old 09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPW View Post

Has anyone had success implementing a Harmony 720 with either a Moxi DVR or Denon AVR-2807? Any pros/cons?

Welll....how bout a realll sorta answer... have Programmed with my Dennon AVR 2105.. works great... and will be programming for a friend a Motorola DVR and now that I am used to the 720... I don't expect any problems... there are a few "tricks" (like a few extra steps, if you want to reorder / add extra soft button etc) but my combo of Panel, Denon AVR and DVR works great with the 720....

A bit of a con for all harmony remotes is setting up a simple macro like changing surround parameters with one touch of the button (e.g. +/- dynamic coompression etc) can't really be done..you kinda have to do work arounds...but doesn;t really bother me... I just have the ability to go into the setting via the soft buttons and make changes or flip over to that "Device" and make the changes...

Hows that for probably a completely useless answer

Long Live The Gorn!
post #100 of 1732 Old 09-14-2006, 10:24 AM
HPW

bvader - not completely useless at all... thanks for the input.
post #101 of 1732 Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Liked: 12
I just got a 720, and have a quick question.

I am running the software setup and it is giving me a choice of different remotes... but the 720 isn't listed.

Any idea what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
post #102 of 1732 Old 09-19-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHerder View Post

I just got a 720, and have a quick question.

I am running the software setup and it is giving me a choice of different remotes... but the 720 isn't listed.

Any idea what I should do?

Select the 880.
post #103 of 1732 Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Select the 880.

cool thanks
post #104 of 1732 Old 09-20-2006, 12:13 PM

ok so i skimmed through the 880 thread but i cant find where it talks about how to go about setting up the favorite channel icons and what not.

can someone plz point me in the right direction.

thanks

-Lude
post #105 of 1732 Old 09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
When you set up Activities for your 880, there is a selection to program favorite channels.

On the remote, you push the "Media" button and this brings up the screens that contain your already programmed favorite channels.

Hope this helps.
post #106 of 1732 Old 09-22-2006, 09:33 AM

I just picked this remote up at the local Walmart and it was on clearance. It doesn't look like this Walmart will be carrying them anymore. It's a good deal. Haven't try it out yet, though.
post #107 of 1732 Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneal View Post

I just picked this remote up at the local Walmart and it was on clearance. It doesn't look like this Walmart will be carrying them anymore. It's a good deal. Haven't try it out yet, though.

What city and state are you in and how much was it?

My local Wal-Mart has the 520 (but not the 550) and definitely not the the 720 or 880....
post #108 of 1732 Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 PM

Questions:

1. What appears in the LCD screen after an activity button is pressed?

2. What does the separate "Activities" button, top center, do ?

3. What happens when the "Devices" button is pressed ? Do the activity buttons become component selections?

4. Are any of the other buttons available for custom macros? (other than the activities buttons)

5. I assume the power button on the upper left of the remote, is to turn everything OFF.

Thanks
Terry
post #109 of 1732 Old 09-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabl View Post

What city and state are you in and how much was it?

My local Wal-Mart has the 520 (but not the 550) and definitely not the the 720 or 880....

The Walmart is in Naperville, IL. I paid $159 for it. Dropped from I think $198. I believe I got the last one they had.
post #110 of 1732 Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 PM

The Wal-Mart in Brea, CA had the 720 marked doen to $127.94.
post #111 of 1732 Old 09-23-2006, 03:47 PM

I ended up returning my 720 to Costco.

The tilt sensor appears to have been defective, as the unit's lighting would never turn off. Also the slideshow would never advance beyond the first image.

I gave Logitech a fair shot at resolving the issue, but lacking any kind of a response, decided to return it.

Interesting thing was, when I went to return it, the man behind the counter commented on how he was receiving many returns of the Logitech - Harmony 720.

I wonder if the quality control on these things is just not all that good.

- DH
post #112 of 1732 Old 09-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpblade View Post

The Wal-Mart in Brea, CA had the 720 marked doen to $127.94.

You got a good deal. I just went to my Wal-mart and they had it for $159. I told them that in SoCal they had it for 127, and they said it's not what their showing.
post #113 of 1732 Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHerder View Post

I ended up returning my 720 to Costco.

The tilt sensor appears to have been defective, as the unit's lighting would never turn off. Also the slideshow would never advance beyond the first image.

I gave Logitech a fair shot at resolving the issue, but lacking any kind of a response, decided to return it.

Interesting thing was, when I went to return it, the man behind the counter commented on how he was receiving many returns of the Logitech - Harmony 720.

I wonder if the quality control on these things is just not all that good.

- DH

I don't think it's a quality thing. I think it just might be too complicated. I spent 5 hours trying to set mine up, and I'm a tech guy. The software setup is nice, but it doesn't set up the system right initially. There's a lot of tweaking needed to get it to work right.
post #114 of 1732 Old 09-24-2006, 05:08 PM

Hrm, well for me it was certainly a quality thing, as I was able to get the actual functionality of the thing to work perfectly... just a shame about the auto shut off and slide show not working (I'm pretty picky about my stuff so if I pay money for something, I expect every aspect of it to function as promised)..

But I'm a gadget head and fairly technical, so I can see how the setup (beyond the simple multiple choice answer the question basic setup) could intimidate some.

- DH

PS: The guy working the Costco returns dept, didn't say that he was getting a lot of returns because people were having a hard time configuring them. He said he was getting a lot of returns because of defects like the one in the unit I returned.
post #115 of 1732 Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

How the heck do you get OTA locals set up as favorites??

I have it set to send "00401" to my Dish 622, which is 4-01 my local NBC HD, but instead it sends "401" Which is some oddball channel I dont get.

Anyone else have this problem? It will not send zeros if the are the first number in the channel.

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
post #116 of 1732 Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotool View Post

I have it set to send "00401" to my Dish 622, which is 4-01 my local NBC HD, but instead it sends "401" Which is some oddball channel I dont get.

Anyone else have this problem? It will not send zeros if the are the first number in the channel.

I know when I was looking at how to program my Pioneer's remote for cable stations, they talked about using the "." (dot/period) to select sub-stations. ie 4-01 is sent as "4.01" This might be the issue with the Dish TV box/remote.
post #117 of 1732 Old 09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvl76 View Post

Questions:

1. What appears in the LCD screen after an activity button is pressed?

2. What does the separate "Activities" button, top center, do ?

3. What happens when the "Devices" button is pressed ? Do the activity buttons become component selections?

4. Are any of the other buttons available for custom macros? (other than the activities buttons)

5. I assume the power button on the upper left of the remote, is to turn everything OFF.

Thanks
Terry

1. It depends on what you want. It is completely programable. Typically it will have a mix of the most important functions that don't map directly to a "hard" button on the remote. For instance on my watch DVR mode, I have the DVR A,B,C, List and LIve button along with a view Panel related like Aspect etc..

2 & 3. The Activities and Device button toggle between the Activitiy and Device mode. Activity... controls all devices for that activity but typically does not have every command available for each device... Device mode is like changing to that device's individual remote.

4. You can map any hard or lcd button to whatever you like. Harmony remotes do NOT support macros (i.e. one click will not send multiple commands), there are some tricks so get some of the desired behavior using activities. That is an advanced topic.

5. Yes if you are in the activity mode.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #118 of 1732 Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotool View Post

Under the advanced setup on the DVR Device you can select if you want leading zeros for channel selection....unfortunately looks like it only goes up to 4 digits...etc...401 would be entered as 0401...or maybe the numbers only will work ... take a look...

Long Live The Gorn!
post #119 of 1732 Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Under the advanced setup on the DVR Device you can select if you want leading zeros for channel selection....unfortunately looks like it only goes up to 4 digits...etc...401 would be entered as 0401...or maybe the numbers only will work ... take a look...

Well I thought this would work for sure - I made the change but it still shows on the screen as 4 being the first number entered. Guess I'll call customer service tomorrow. Seems like a pretty big oversight if it will not work. thanks for the help though.

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
post #120 of 1732 Old 09-26-2006, 09:33 PM

I purchased a 720 remote in Walmart a couple of days ago (clearance for $100).

Today I downloaded favorite channel icons and noticed that it displays 8 icons but it only has 6 buttons. My configuration recognized the remote as a 720.

I cannot find anywhere how to change the display so only 6 channels display per screen. Any help?

UPDATE:
9/27/06 1:00PM central time

Just talk to Logitech and been informed the problem is a bug. Wait 1-2 weeks, a fix should come out.

macanudo
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page