post #1261 of 1732 Old 12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I've been searching through the thread and also looked online but can't find an answer. Is there anyway to re-order the way the devices are shown on the screen. Or does it just put them in the order you program them. ie, i would like cable first, then tv, mivx player, dvd player, hdmi switcher etc. Right now i'm scrolling back and forth to get to the most used.

You can't re-order devices, but you shouldn't need to anyway. If you use Activities (as you should be...this is an Activity based remote) then you should rarely, if ever, need to select an individual device.

If you need to select a device to access a certain command, add that command to the activity (under "Change button behaviour" for the activity in question)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1732 Old 12-12-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

You can't re-order devices, but you shouldn't need to anyway. If you use Activities (as you should be...this is an Activity based remote) then you should rarely, if ever, need to select an individual device.

If you need to select a device to access a certain command, add that command to the activity (under "Change button behaviour" for the activity in question)

I didn't think so. After spending about 4 hours playing with this tonight i did find that the Activities buttons could be added/changed. I thought that when you created an activity it would carry over all the buttons from the device but i guess you need to manually configure some. I even tried the learning and it works great. There is quite a learning curve to this remote and not much in documentation that i could find anywhere but i'm slowly figuring it out. Once you learn the programming it's has almost endless configurations.

One thing i haven't been able to get to work yet is when i shut down my Mvix player the tv is suppose to return to HDMI 1. So far it's not working yet. I make sure the remote is pointed towards the tv when selecting the shutdown. I'll just keep playing with it. This could take some time to configure all i have to put in it.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #1263 of 1732 Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout101 View Post

This was a couple of pages ago, so may have been answered, but you don't need to create a macro for this, the cable box already allows it naturally. When you're watching a recording and want to skip ahead (or back) in 15 minute intervals, you hit fast forward or rewind, and then while it is doing that, hit the directional arrow in the direction you want to skip. It'll jump to the next 15 minute section of the recording (the little bars it shows breaking up the 1 hour of programing)

I've got the same box, and been doing that with the old cable remote forever. The 720 still has the controls for FF and right arrow, so works the same way...

Thanks scout101! I'm at work now but I'll give this a try when I get home in the morning. That's what I was hoping for as pushing the macro 6 or 7 times to get through hockey intermissions/halftimes sometimes knocks out the audio on the 6416, requiring a power toggle of the STB.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #1264 of 1732 Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

... as pushing the macro 6 or 7 times to get through hockey intermissions/halftimes sometimes knocks out the audio on the 6416, requiring a power toggle of the STB.

I have a 6412 that loses the audio every now and then when doing a series of 30-second skips. I can get audio back quickly by toggling the "DVR Mute" -- much faster than a power down and back up.

Perhaps that might work for you also.
post #1265 of 1732 Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

I have a 6412 that loses the audio every now and then when doing a series of 30-second skips. I can get audio back quickly by toggling the "DVR Mute" -- much faster than a power down and back up.

I sometimes have that very problem as well. I find that stopping (not pausing) the playback and then restarting it solves the problem for me.
post #1266 of 1732 Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks scout101! I'm at work now but I'll give this a try when I get home in the morning. That's what I was hoping for as pushing the macro 6 or 7 times to get through hockey intermissions/halftimes sometimes knocks out the audio on the 6416, requiring a power toggle of the STB.

I've got the DCT3416 and this doesn't work with either the 720 or the original remote. The only way i can find to get forward or back is the the FF buttons which can take some time if i'm trying to move a good amount of time. If i push the FF button then the directional buttons it just speeds up the FF.

Darn, i hoped this would work too, i never heard about this trick.
post #1267 of 1732 Old 12-13-2007, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I've got the DCT3416 and this doesn't work with either the 720 or the original remote. The only way i can find to get forward or back is the the FF buttons which can take some time if i'm trying to move a good amount of time. If i push the FF button then the directional buttons it just speeds up the FF.

Darn, i hoped this would work too, i never heard about this trick.

Didn't work for me either. scout101, which cableco do you use? I wonder if this feature might be enabled by some and not by others.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #1268 of 1732 Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't work for me either. scout101, which cableco do you use? I wonder if this feature might be enabled by some and not by others.

I have comcast and they have a lot of the features on the DVR disabled. I just looked into AT&T U-Verse. Actually, just ordered it. All digital cable with HD and DVR that records up to 4 shows at the same time.
post #1269 of 1732 Old 12-14-2007, 07:00 AM

Anyone using the Harmony 720 with a HTPC running Girder?

I have an ATI Remote Wonder which works well, but since it is a discontinued products, the supply of plug-ins seems to be drying up. For example, no update for the latest version of WinDVD.

Using Girder between the IR receiver and the applications seems a power and flexible way to go, and would allow one remote for everything, including PC based viewers.

If this is being discussed elsewhere, please provide a link - I have done a search or three, but not found anything directly related.

Thanks!
post #1270 of 1732 Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 PM

just an FYI to those looking for the 720.. i saw it on sale at my local Target for $143 until Saturday
post #1271 of 1732 Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Which is the best client to use?
The installed executable or the web interface?
post #1272 of 1732 Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Have just got my 720 the other day. Could someone tell me difference between a power toggle and on & off. When I set up my PVR it asked me to send the power toggle from my PVR remote but I didn't know how to do that so I skipped that procedure.
Thanks
post #1273 of 1732 Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computer222 View Post

Could someone tell me difference between a power toggle and on & off.

A power toggle is when you press the button it toggles the state. Put another way, if the device is on, it turns it off. If the device is off, it turns it on.

On and off (discrete codes) are just that. When you send the "on" signal it turns the device on; if the device is already on it does nothing. Likewise for off.

If you're not sure whether you have discrete codes for your device, it's probably safest to go with the power toggle and let the remote track the state of your devices.
post #1274 of 1732 Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM

Thanks Craig. That's exactly what I wanted to know
post #1275 of 1732 Old 12-17-2007, 01:11 PM

My receiver (Onkyo 605) has only 2 HDMI inputs and now I'm getting 3rd HDMI enabled device. Could somebody recommend an HDMI switcher that is controllable by Harmony 720?
Thank you.
post #1276 of 1732 Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asburrows View Post

My receiver (Onkyo 605) has only 2 HDMI inputs and now I'm getting 3rd HDMI enabled device. Could somebody recommend an HDMI switcher that is controllable by Harmony 720?
Thank you.

I've got this one and it works good. Good price too.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #1277 of 1732 Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Is Walmart.com the cheapest place to find this remote ATM?

I noticed people in the first few pages of the thread were getting it much cheaper, but those may have been early sales.

BTW, is this a pretty substantial step up from the Harmony 360 remote? That's what I have right now, and have noticed the screen starting to flicker and it's also began to reset itself. This is after putting new batteries in. I've had it for a couple years now.
post #1278 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 08:10 AM

someone mentioned costco has it $43 cheaper than target and $49 cheaper than walmart in their stores even though their online price is higher.
post #1279 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't h8 View Post

someone mentioned costco has it $43 cheaper than target and $49 cheaper than walmart in their stores even though their online price is higher.

Best Buy has the 880 for 30 bucks less than Costco wants for the 720.
post #1280 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Best Buy has the 880 for 30 bucks less than Costco wants for the 720.

that is the difference from costco's online price...in-store price is $50 less than the current BB 880 deal.

that aside, I have the 880...I was just trying to relay information from what I've seen. Given the fact that it is the holidays and people are spending money like it grows on trees, I thought I'd point them in the direction to save a little money.
post #1281 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't h8 View Post

that is the difference from costco's online price...in-store price is $50 less than the current BB 880 deal.

that aside, I have the 880...I was just trying to relay information from what I've seen. Given the fact that it is the holidays and people are spending money like it grows on trees, I thought I'd point them in the direction to save a little money.

So Costco has the 720 for a hundred bucks? I recently purchased the 720 but didn't get it that cheap. I was thinking of returning it and getting the 880. Other than having more devices, what advantage does the 880 have over the 720. I really want the 890 for the RF support but can't spend that much.
post #1282 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

So Costco has the 720 for a hundred bucks? I recently purchased the 720 but didn't get it that cheap. I was thinking of returning it and getting the 880. Other than having more devices, what advantage does the 880 have over the 720. I really want the 890 for the RF support but can't spend that much.

880 doesn't have more devices,the only difference is it has 8 soft buttons instead of the 720's 6 soft buttons, and the 880 has that goofy peanut shape, other than that they use the same software, have the same functionality

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #1283 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post

880 doesn't have more devices,the only difference is it has 8 soft buttons instead of the 720's 6 soft buttons, and the 880 has that goofy peanut shape, other than that they use the same software, have the same functionality

Oh, thanks for the info. I wish there was a way to re-order the devices. I have 7 programmed and one that i use often is on the 2nd page. I've tried everything to get it on the first page, even uninstalling and reinstalling the device but still no go. I can't figure how it orders, not alphabetical and if it orders by install i figured reinstalling it would bring it to the top. I seem to be using the devices more than the activities.
post #1284 of 1732 Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I wish there was a way to re-order the devices. I have 7 programmed and one that i use often is on the 2nd page. ... I seem to be using the devices more than the activities.

Then you're using the remote wrong.

If there is a feature you use frequently, you should put it on the LCD screen for the activity(ies) to which it applies.

For example, I often switch the aspect ratio of my HDTV (full, zoom, 4:3, dot-by-dot, etc). I do this when I'm watching a DVD (Watch DVD Activity), watching Blu-ray discs (Watch Blu-ray Activity), or watching TV (Watch TV Activity). Each of those three activities has an Aspect command on the LCD so I don't have to switch to the TV device to get at the feature.

The device buttons should only include features you use once in a blue moon. If you use a feature frequently, in should be on the activity screen.
post #1285 of 1732 Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 AM

I would sign-up at Costco just to get this remote for $100. I'll have to give them a call to see if that's the price they're selling for.
post #1286 of 1732 Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Horse View Post

I would sign-up at Costco just to get this remote for $100. I'll have to give them a call to see if that's the price they're selling for.

I paid 119 for mine at Costco (was 169 less 50 instant rebate).

~Bill
post #1287 of 1732 Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_wagner View Post

Then you're using the remote wrong.

If there is a feature you use frequently, you should put it on the LCD screen for the activity(ies) to which it applies.

For example, I often switch the aspect ratio of my HDTV (full, zoom, 4:3, dot-by-dot, etc). I do this when I'm watching a DVD (Watch DVD Activity), watching Blu-ray discs (Watch Blu-ray Activity), or watching TV (Watch TV Activity). Each of those three activities has an Aspect command on the LCD so I don't have to switch to the TV device to get at the feature.

The device buttons should only include features you use once in a blue moon. If you use a feature frequently, in should be on the activity screen.

Exactly.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #1288 of 1732 Old 12-26-2007, 08:05 PM

Does anyone know if the 890 RF unit (sold separately) can work with the 720? Or what does the 720 need in order for it to function with the RF.

"A Video Game Junkie At His Finest"
[700+ games and 26 systems]-updated 1.5.09
Video Game Calibration for Sharp 46" 64/62 series
Denon Help by Batpig
post #1289 of 1732 Old 12-26-2007, 09:30 PM

After reading over this thread several times I decided to pick up the 720. This remote is great. I didn't have any problems at all in programming the remote. It was pretty easy. The only set back now is that I have a PS3. The PS3 prevents me from having the ability to control everything with this remote.

Overall this remote is worth the investment as now it controls my HDDVD player, Xbox360, tv, reciever, and satellite. I give it 5 stars.
post #1290 of 1732 Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Pistol View Post

Does anyone know if the 890 RF unit (sold separately) can work with the 720? Or what does the 720 need in order for it to function with the RF.

The RF unit only works with the 890. I asked Logiteck about it. Too bad, i need a good RF unit too. I'm still using my URC-9910 for that.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page