Harmony 720 Official Thread. For all info and FAQs - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whats a good cheap MCE ir receiver from ebay to use with the 720? I have two HTPC's one in the theatre, and in the parlor (connected by a large archway)

Is it possible to have independent control?

Ive been using a cheap chinese ebay'd remote for htpc control and want to toss them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by compumanus View Post

Whats a good cheap MCE ir receiver from ebay to use with the 720? I have two HTPC's one in the theatre, and in the parlor (connected by a large archway)

Is it possible to have independent control?

Ive been using a cheap chinese ebay'd remote for htpc control and want to toss them.

There are some HP branded ones on Ebay for $10 that work fine (I have one). As far as independent control, you could configure the 2 pcs as 2 different devices, and then modify the button mapping on one of them to use alternate commands for play, rewind, etc. Would be a bit of a pain to setup, but would work. Curious though, if the 2 systems are in different rooms, would it matter if they used the same key commands?
post #1683 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 AM

They are in seperate rooms, theatre about 20x14 and parlor about 12x16 they are connected along the long wall, be a large archway.

In some locations you could easliy send ir to both on accident.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Infrared-Rece...item2a045c2cb2

That one?
post #1684 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compumanus View Post

They are in seperate rooms, theatre about 20x14 and parlor about 12x16 they are connected along the long wall, be a large archway.

In some locations you could easliy send ir to both on accident.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Infrared-Rece...item2a045c2cb2

That one?

That's it
post #1685 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM
jes

My 720 has what has become a chronic problem. It randomly reboots spontaneously... I seem to have narrowed it down to when the Play button is pressed while skipping forwards or backwards. Has anyone else seen this or is it time for a new remote?
post #1686 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes View Post

My 720 has what has become a chronic problem. It randomly reboots spontaneously... I seem to have narrowed it down to when the Play button is pressed while skipping forwards or backwards. Has anyone else seen this or is it time for a new remote?

Haven't seen it, but have you tried updating the firmware lately?
post #1687 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post

Haven't seen it, but have you tried updating the firmware lately?

+1. It's good to check the firmware periodically on these remotes.
post #1688 of 1732 Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I've seen this behavior on mine but it has nothing to do with what buttons you press, but rather the battery and/or battery cover is loose (or not as tight as it was when new) and the battery can briefly get disconnected from the terminals. Probably the way you grip it when you press that button combination is causing this behavior.

Open up the battery cover and take a small piece of paper and fold it over a couple times to get the right thickness and shove it between the end of the battery (without the contacts, at the bottom) and bend it over the top side of the battery about a third of the way up the battery. The battery shouldn't be able to move now and when you try and close the cover with the paper on the backside of the battery it will be *much* harder to close since the paper makes it snug.

Try running it like that for a week or so and see if it is any better.

-Matt
post #1689 of 1732 Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

This remote rocks. Everything works very well and you can tweak functionality until your eyes fall out of your head.

I wanted to be able to control the room's main lights, so I tracked down an IR dimmer on eBay. It's a 3BM Smart Switch. I thought I may need to get some sort of IR blaster thing as well, since my screen is in front of me, my AV equipment beside me and the light switch behind me at the back of the room. Much to my surprise and delight, the dimmer switch has a super strong IR receiver... or something like that, because no matter where my 720 is pointing, the lights work perfectly. So, if anyone is looking for a fairly cheap IR dimmer that works very well from anywhere in the room, check this one out.

Can't find much info on this dimmer. Can you set a "favorite" level of brightness (say 40% or something) and then hit a button for the lights to climb slowly to 40% like you can with the lutron maestro, or are these limited to either just holding a button until you get to the light level you want or alternately hit a button to run to full-on or full-off?
Do you have any regrets with these switches at this point?
Thanks.
post #1690 of 1732 Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM
jes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

I've seen this behavior on mine but it has nothing to do with what buttons you press, but rather the battery and/or battery cover is loose (or not as tight as it was when new) and the battery can briefly get disconnected from the terminals. Probably the way you grip it when you press that button combination is causing this behavior.

Open up the battery cover and take a small piece of paper and fold it over a couple times to get the right thickness and shove it between the end of the battery (without the contacts, at the bottom) and bend it over the top side of the battery about a third of the way up the battery. The battery shouldn't be able to move now and when you try and close the cover with the paper on the backside of the battery it will be *much* harder to close since the paper makes it snug.

Try running it like that for a week or so and see if it is any better.

I checked the battery and found the contacts are spring loaded. Mine actually makes contact before the battery "snaps" in. I cleaned all the contacts, hopefully that makes a difference.

My remote firmware is V 4.5... I assume the firmware updates when you update the remote with any changes... The Harmony site doesn't tell you what the latest version is, it just downloads a file, Connectivity.EZHex.
post #1691 of 1732 Old 02-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I checked the battery and found the contacts are spring loaded. Mine actually makes contact before the battery "snaps" in. I cleaned all the contacts, hopefully that makes a difference. [/u].

Mine is like that too. But the battery can still easily break contact with the terminals. When the battery is in place, if there is *any* space at the bottom of the battery (if you can move it at all) you need to shim it or it will lose contact over time. I've never had a problem in over a year since I've done the paper trick.

-Matt
post #1692 of 1732 Old 02-14-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm having trouble trying to use a Harmony 720 to control a Dell Studio Slim running Windows 7 x64.

The IR receiver is one of the "5070-2584 NEW HP Media CENTER Remote IR RECEIVER" ones without the remote from ebay, and it seems to install properly and appears in the device manager under "Human Interface Devices/Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver."

In the Harmony setup, I've tried all of these selections:

Media Center PC/Microsoft/Windows Media Center
Media Center PC/Microsoft/Microsoft Media Center (v2)
Media Center PC/Microsoft/Windows Media Center SE
Media Center PC/Microsoft/MCE-1039

Before I found and tried any of those, the Harmony setup interpreted my first guess as a "Microsoft 1014," so I've also tried that one.

All of these attempts got the same result, which is that none of the remote buttons has any effect in Windows Media Player or Media Center, which I would expect to work pretty reliably.

The red LED on the receiver does flash, but only when I use the volume up, volume down, and mute buttons. None of the other buttons on the remote gets a response from the LED. Even though the LED flashes, the volume buttons have no effect on WMP, MC, and the system volume.

There is a Logitech diNovo Mini also plugged into the system, but removing it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Am I missing something obvious in the setup? If this receiver isn't a good option, can you suggest another one?
post #1693 of 1732 Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc1024 View Post

I'm having trouble trying to use a Harmony 720 to control a Dell Studio Slim running Windows 7 x64.

The IR receiver is one of the "5070-2584 NEW HP Media CENTER Remote IR RECEIVER" ones without the remote from ebay, and it seems to install properly and appears in the device manager under "Human Interface Devices/Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver."

In the Harmony setup, I've tried all of these selections:

Media Center PC/Microsoft/Windows Media Center
Media Center PC/Microsoft/Microsoft Media Center (v2)
Media Center PC/Microsoft/Windows Media Center SE
Media Center PC/Microsoft/MCE-1039

Before I found and tried any of those, the Harmony setup interpreted my first guess as a "Microsoft 1014," so I've also tried that one.

All of these attempts got the same result, which is that none of the remote buttons has any effect in Windows Media Player or Media Center, which I would expect to work pretty reliably.

The red LED on the receiver does flash, but only when I use the volume up, volume down, and mute buttons. None of the other buttons on the remote gets a response from the LED. Even though the LED flashes, the volume buttons have no effect on WMP, MC, and the system volume.

There is a Logitech diNovo Mini also plugged into the system, but removing it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Am I missing something obvious in the setup? If this receiver isn't a good option, can you suggest another one?

I would suggest installing EventGhost so that you can see if the system is recognizing each command that is being sent. As you said, there shouldn't be any issue using it as a media center compatible remote with WMC. Mine is setup as a HP Pavillion 9200, but that's only because that was the PC I had when I first configured it. I've since changed HTPCs to one I built, and use the same IR receiver you have - just never bothered to change the settings in Harmony as it worked fine.
post #1694 of 1732 Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:

I would suggest installing EventGhost so that you can see if the system is recognizing each command that is being sent. As you said, there shouldn't be any issue using it as a media center compatible remote with WMC. Mine is setup as a HP Pavillion 9200, but that's only because that was the PC I had when I first configured it. I've since changed HTPCs to one I built, and use the same IR receiver you have - just never bothered to change the settings in Harmony as it worked fine.

Thanks! I installed EventGhost and collected more info. It definitely detects when I plug in the IR receiver, producing 9 lines in the log:

System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\\\\\?\\\\USB#VID_0471&PID_060C#CNOB#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}']
System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\\\\\?\\\\HID#IrDeviceV2&Col01#2&2818a073&1&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}']
[...]
System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\\\\\?\\\\HID#IrDeviceV2&Col08#2&2818a073&1&0007#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}']

I added the "Plugin: Microsoft MCE Remote," but nothing else appears in the log when I press the remote buttons.

I dug up an old Hauppauge remote, and every button on that one causes the LED on the IR receiver to light up, but still, nothing comes out of the EG log when I do that. I tried to add the "Plugin: Hauppauge IR," but EG immediately gave an error because the WinTV IR package is not installed, so the irremote.dll is missing. I suppose I could try to install WinTV to see if I can get ~something to work, but I'm really not looking forward to that option.

I don't know if it matters, but the EG log does display "System.Idle" and "System.UnIdle" messages as the diNovo Mini sleeps and wakes. Maybe it just logs everything HID-related...
post #1695 of 1732 Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! I installed EventGhost and collected more info. It definitely detects when I plug in the IR receiver, producing 9 lines in the log:

System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\\\\\?\\\\USB#VID_0471&PID_060C#CNOB#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}']
System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\\\\\?\\\\HID#IrDeviceV2&Col01#2&2818a073&1&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}']
[...]
System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\\\\\?\\\\HID#IrDeviceV2&Col08#2&2818a073&1&0007#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}']

I added the "Plugin: Microsoft MCE Remote," but nothing else appears in the log when I press the remote buttons.

I dug up an old Hauppauge remote, and every button on that one causes the LED on the IR receiver to light up, but still, nothing comes out of the EG log when I do that. I tried to add the "Plugin: Hauppauge IR," but EG immediately gave an error because the WinTV IR package is not installed, so the irremote.dll is missing. I suppose I could try to install WinTV to see if I can get ~something to work, but I'm really not looking forward to that option.

I don't know if it matters, but the EG log does display "System.Idle" and "System.UnIdle" messages as the diNovo Mini sleeps and wakes. Maybe it just logs everything HID-related...

The System idle and unidle messages are normal - as you stated, the EG window shows everything HID related. Really stupid question - you did update the remote after adding the HTPC device right? Have you confirmed the buttons are mapped to commands in the Harmony software? You mentioned previously that only the volume and mute buttons would cause the LED to flash - when you press those does Event Ghost show anything?
post #1696 of 1732 Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:

The System idle and unidle messages are normal - as you stated, the EG window shows everything HID related. Really stupid question - you did update the remote after adding the HTPC device right? Have you confirmed the buttons are mapped to commands in the Harmony software? You mentioned previously that only the volume and mute buttons would cause the LED to flash - when you press those does Event Ghost show anything?

Yes, I defintely updated the remote after setting up the device each time and assigning it to my "Use HTPC" activity. The volume and mute buttons still cause the LED to give feedback, but the EG log doesn't show any activity when I do that. I also checked the mapping for basic buttons like [Stop] and [Play] in the Harmony software, and they are properly assigned to stop and play as one would expect.

I've just ordered the HP remote that goes with the receiver, so I'll be able to more easily compare its behavior against the 720 soon. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #1697 of 1732 Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM

It seems that when I am riding my bike on the trainer and watching my DVDR, I have a hard time getting the signal from the 720 to run the DVDR. Are there any extenders that Logitech has that make the 720 beam go a lot farther, or do I just need to aim it better. I have to aim it at a wall that bounces it to the box, kinda of like pool.

Any suggestions.
post #1698 of 1732 Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I've just ordered the HP remote that goes with the receiver, so I'll be able to more easily compare its behavior against the 720 soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally tried an HP remote that goes with the HP Tranceiver. Every button on the HP remote gave proper "red light" feedback from the receiver, but had no effect in WMP or WMC, and nothing came out of the EG event log.

I changed the EG shortcut to "Run as Administrator" and now I can finally see output in the EG log for every button on the HP remote. This trick doesn't seem to help WMC and WMP, which still ignore all remote input like they did before. I also disabled UAC and rebooted, but that didn't improve anything.

So, I could use the HP remote and EG to set everything up manually -- but I'd still like to figure out why Windows 7 isn't recognizing the same inputs that EG can see and taking the default actions in WMP and WMC.

Does Windows need a driver or service that might not be installed by default in the Dell distribution of Windows?
post #1699 of 1732 Old 02-28-2010, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I finally tried an HP remote that goes with the HP Tranceiver. Every button on the HP remote gave proper "red light" feedback from the receiver, but had no effect in WMP or WMC, and nothing came out of the EG event log.

I changed the EG shortcut to "Run as Administrator" and now I can finally see output in the EG log for every button on the HP remote. This trick doesn't seem to help WMC and WMP, which still ignore all remote input like they did before. I also disabled UAC and rebooted, but that didn't improve anything.

So, I could use the HP remote and EG to set everything up manually -- but I'd still like to figure out why Windows 7 isn't recognizing the same inputs that EG can see and taking the default actions in WMP and WMC.

Does Windows need a driver or service that might not be installed by default in the Dell distribution of Windows?

EventGhost disables the internal IR recognition so that commands aren't interpreted twice. Simply uninstall EG and it will re-enable the built in functionality.

I always run as an Administrator so I don't see the issues like what you experienced. I'd suggest to get everything working under an administrator account, then work on locking it down if necessary.
post #1700 of 1732 Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:

EventGhost disables the internal IR recognition so that commands aren't interpreted twice. Simply uninstall EG and it will re-enable the built in functionality.

I always run as an Administrator so I don't see the issues like what you experienced. I'd suggest to get everything working under an administrator account, then work on locking it down if necessary.

Right, I always log in using an adminstrator account too, but EG seemed to require that the program itself be launched with the "run as adminstrator" option in order to work.

In any case, I disabled UAC, uninstalled EG, and rebooted, but no luck. The receiver still gives red-light feedback, but none of the programs seem to be getting the input. Something in my installation is either missing or eating the inputs before they can get to the programs.

Incidentally, I also found my problem with the 720, so this thread probably doesn't belong here any more. When using the remote, I was selecting activity/htpc instead of devices/htpc. Apparently, the activity is not set up properly to make the htpc device receive the presses, although I didn't have this trouble with any of the other activities and devices I've set up in the past.
post #1701 of 1732 Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 AM

One of our two Harmony 720's won't update. It begins the process but gets stuck at 0%. Any ideas?
post #1702 of 1732 Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post

One of our two Harmony 720's won't update. It begins the process but gets stuck at 0%. Any ideas?

Try to do a firmware upgrade. If that also sticks at 0%, I'd suggest contacting support. Are the batteries removable? I don't remember - if so, could try pulling the battery for a 1/2 hour or so, see if that resets it.
post #1703 of 1732 Old 04-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Try to do a firmware upgrade. If that also sticks at 0%, I'd suggest contacting support. Are the batteries removable? I don't remember - if so, could try pulling the battery for a 1/2 hour or so, see if that resets it.

Battery is removable. We'll try both ideas, thanks!
post #1704 of 1732 Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post

Problem solved. The 720 that wouldn't update had a dirty USB connector.

Couldn't see anything with the eye, but after blowing out the connector with compressed air it would mostly work, sometimes not. Then I plugged/unplugged the connector about 30 times (thinking it might help remove any oxidation on the connectors) and it seems to work every time now. Was able to update the firmware and then the regular update.
post #1705 of 1732 Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Is anyone having a problem with their 720 Remote, I'm having to press the buttons on my remote with such force I fear it will soon break
post #1706 of 1732 Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilynch View Post

Is anyone having a problem with their 720 Remote, I'm having to press the buttons on my remote with such force I fear it will soon break

Join the club, happened with both my 720's and there's nothing you can do about it.

However, call Logitech and complain - they gave me 50% off on any new remote. Picked up the Harmony One for $125.
post #1707 of 1732 Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 AM

I have only one 720.
It's still working fantastic, but for a 50% off on an H1, maybe I should be wishing for button failures?
post #1708 of 1732 Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Mine works fine. But it may be good if it did not work to get the H1.
post #1709 of 1732 Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM

I've had the same issue w/ my 720. The buttons must be pressed extremely hard to fuction properly so I was able to get the 50% off and ordered the Harmony One as well. In 2 years my new remote will probably do the same thing and I'll order the harmony 2 (or whatever the next model is named) - LOL! We are junkies!
post #1710 of 1732 Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 AM

Mine works ok. There are times that certain buttons will do something other than what they are supposed to do. I just correct them and go on with life. But that would be nice to the the H1 at 1/2 off.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page