Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1732 Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 View Post

Was the price at Costco the same as their website? If not, can you PM me the price.

I wasn't able to find it at any local Walmarts and Target only had it for MSRP.

The in store price is $10 less than online...cause the online price includes shipping..but not all Costcos carry it...I have 3 within 15 miles of where I live and of course the closest one which I went to first does not carry it... paid $169.99 + tax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1732 Old 10-15-2006, 05:54 PM

Thanks I saw that but I have 8 "custom" button labels and I want to be able to select which appear on page 1 I thought it was alphabetical but I changed some to see if I could get them to appear as the first 6 that did not work I tried moving them around in the list and that did not work...unless I need to delete all of them an start all over again???
post #183 of 1732 Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

You can customize anything in the display as part of an activity. You CAN'T change whatever appears when you select a particular device.

You can in fact change the commands displayed in DEVICE mode. Just select Device -> More options -> Customize device commands. (This is using the web interface.)
You can delete/move/add commands as required.

GScharoff: You can change the order LCD commands are displayed as you have found, with the(rather annoying) proviso that commands for a particular device are always grouped together. ie all TV commands in one group, DVD player commands in another group etc.
You can get around this by learning the commands you want listed first to the device that is grouped first. ie If you want DVD player commands listed first, but TV commands are listed first on the LCD, learn the required DVD player commands to your TV device.
post #184 of 1732 Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I purchased my 720 at Walmart today in Sarasota Florida for $8o on clearance. Their normal price sticker said $194. I had bad experience with the earlier one (probably the 520) so I was unsure, but willing to give it a try. The setup is annoyingly vague. Trying to set up Xbox function gets a Media Center PC input prompt, etc. Talked to level 1 tech who was...tolerable, but I had to keep saying "Hello, are you there?" So after hours..it was semi-ready. BUT the middle button to the left of the screen did not work. I was irate. Calling up Support number to inquire about replacement (no wal-marts in area have any more..) got me "Sorry, warranty department is closed after 5..blah blah" so I called Tech and eventually talked to level 2 tech support. He helped me fix some problems that I saw as hopeless and was killing the useablility of the remote. So I will see if my replacement order goes through. The transport keys are annoyingly same-sized and similar. Loading my previous software from the website, I noticed my rating was POOR on the old remote. I have not changed it, yet. I have used many remotes. Setting up macros on those were alot easier and quicker than plugging this into my pc and clicking NEXT 200 times. And don't bother calling wal-marts for info..half the clerks have no idea what a Harmony is and will not check. After several "no, we ain't got no harmonies" I called the Walmart I purchased this one from (because I KNOW there were 3 520s on the shelf) and they swore they had none. Ha! If you wanna save $120 then go ahead and spend the $10 in gas to check.

"The well-placed coin changes much - even itself." - Lao-Tse
post #185 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. Don't spend the $10 in gas. Don't even accept the remote as a gift. If you do, you should treat the giver as if they had just offered to sell you crack and then pimp your daughter out to pay for it. I had almost a full day with it and that was enough. Now, for those of you who like the Harmony Remotes then this remote will be good for you (except for the non-working button). For all others who are used to the array of options given by OneForAll and the URC Automators, you should look elsewhere. Yes, a $17 Oneforall outperforms this remote. Last night when I went to bed, I turned off all my equipment manually. The Harmony "smart" remote was unaware of this and in the morning would not turn on my television, because it had determined that my television was already on. My satellite (which goes into power off after several hours), well, THAT was on too according to my new "smart" remote. After cursing, I hit the help button, and the "smart" remote proceeded to ask me 10 questions before it decided that No, it could not do what I wanted it to. Ah yes, we are in a world of discrete codes for power, but the Harmony will hear nothing of it. It prefers to guess whether it's on or not. That's fine, if I have my equipment under lock and key and NEVER touch it physically. I suppose I could please the Harmony by inseting a disk into my DVD player and then powering it down before using the remote to power it on, but I guess I feel that's silly. It would think the Dvd players off when I put the disk in, and then turn it off while trying to turn it on. Ah, that's what discrete codes are for. My level 1 tech flatout told me that it was impossible. The level 2 tech helped me, but the discrete codes for on were at the end of the command sequence. Oops, the change inputs for the tv are near the beginning. Oh well, after an hour of adding more commands, I now have an unwieldy command that takes 10 seconds to perform. And can they put the discretes at the end, or God forbid, use THEM instead of guessing? Nope. The software for this is atrocious. I gave them a chance with this new model, hoping for improvement, but I was wrong. I liked the screen and the tilt sensor. And the recharging ability. But seriously, when the techs tell you "this is a syncing remote, and why would you EVER want to touch your equipment? Macros? Ha! Macros...", and there are $20 remotes that do that, what's the point? I'm very sad. Forgive me if I'm venting, but I spent many hours getting this to NOT work. If you like the way Harmony Remotes work, buy it. If you're used to remotes doing what you tell it to do no matter how silly the request, then don't buy it. Mine went back today. I cancelled the warranty service, who called me AFTER i had called them and cancelled it.

post #186 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Correction: I typed wrong. They CAN put the discretes at the end. I meant to say They cannot put them at the beginning. I don't want to be accused of lying. Heh.

post #187 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattardo View Post

Last night when I went to bed, I turned off all my equipment manually.

Well, there is your problem. You didn't use the tool properly. If you had used the remote to turn off all your devices, there would not have been an issue.

It is certainly your choice if you wish to use the tool properly or not, but if your lifestyle requires the freedom to turn off your devices manually in addition to simply pushing a single button on your remote, then you are correct that any Harmony remote is not the remote for you.

Complaining about the tool not working properly is like saying that you purchased Phillips-head screws and you are pissed that your standard slot-type screw driver doesn't work and damn those people for inventing a tool that doesn't meet your needs.

But I can see how simply offering an analysis of how the remote doesn't work for you (which might possibly be a point of interest for other folks who may be considering a Harmony purchase) might have been less satisfying than a rant.
post #188 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I probably shouldn't rant and rave, you are correct. It's just very disheartening to become excited about something, spend time acquring it, setting it up only to find that it is less feature-laden than lesser-priced remotes. I like remotes. My girlfriend swears I have a "remote fetish" and she always catches me eyeing them whenever we are out and about. I have owned many remotes from many different manufacturers, so I feel I am a tad qualified to coment on them. Maybe not rant on them, but that's just my love of new technology being spited. As you say, if I expect a "tool" costing $200 to perform worthy of it's price, and this particular "tool" is a Harmony remote, then I am expecting too much of it. The good part of all this is that when I told Harmony I was returning their remote, they asked me why and listened. They then asked me for suggestions to forward to their engineering department. Will this accomplish anything? I do not know. If they can add simple features that lesser-priced remotes offer, then I will use their product. Granted, the price I paid was not the full $200, but it didn't even perform to the discounted price. And again, I wonder what they expect someone to do if they need to insert a cd or a dvd. Powering on the player manually and inserting the disc runs contrary to "using the tool the right way". That is one of the simplest and most basic functions of an entertainment center, yet it baffles this remote. Does that make me insane to complain about that? Nope. If enough people do it, it brings about change and improves the product eventually. Surely improvement is good? Of course, if everyone has your mentality and says "you are using the tool improperly", well then it will never improve. Of course I'm using it improperly: I want to use it as a $200 remote that simplifies my home theater. Good lord.

post #189 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Well, there is your problem. You didn't use the tool properly. If you had used the remote to turn off all your devices, there would not have been an issue.

It is certainly your choice if you wish to use the tool properly or not, but if your lifestyle requires the freedom to turn off your devices manually in addition to simply pushing a single button on your remote, then you are correct that any Harmony remote is not the remote for you.

Complaining about the tool not working properly is like saying that you purchased Phillips-head screws and you are pissed that your standard slot-type screw driver doesn't work and damn those people for inventing a tool that doesn't meet your needs.

But I can see how simply offering an analysis of how the remote doesn't work for you (which might possibly be a point of interest for other folks who may be considering a Harmony purchase) might have been less satisfying than a rant.

Agreed - sounds like he has no idea how to use the 720 nor understands the concept of activity based remotes. I just re-programmed my 720 to add some codes to the display and it took me all of 10 minutes. That's because I understand how to use the tool as designed.

I've had lots of simple remotes and the 720 blows away any of those URC's. My kids (7, 9, 11) all know to push the off button to turn everything off. They have yet to say "Daddy, what's wrong with the remote?"
post #190 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand perfectly the concept...NOW. It's primarily for children and older folks who can't asssign macros without the help of a web page. It takes me all of 30 seconds to program most other remotes to do extra functions. My girlfriend (who is not 7 or 9) told me this morning "this was a lot easier when I didn't have to hit a Help button 10 times". I understand you're obviously Harmony fans. Great. But don't tell me I don't understand it. It's perfectly understood what it is after having used it for a day. It thinks it knows whether your devices are on. Well, with discrete power codes, it doesn't have to "think". I have tried it, am not pleased with it and voiced my opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

post #191 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wonder what they expect someone to do if they need to insert a cd or a dvd. Powering on the player manually and inserting the disc runs contrary to "using the tool the right way".

I now see one reason why you are frustrated -- it appears that something in your setup is not working properly.

For my Activity "Watch DVD", the Harmony changes the TV to the appropriate input to receive the DVD video signal, switches the AV receiver to the appropriate input to play the 5.1 audio from the DVD player, powers up the DVD player and opens the tray so that all I have to do is drop the disc in.

I can then either close the tray manually or via an LCD button on the remote or by simply pushing "play" on the remote.

We would need more input from you as to what is or isn't happening (and when) for your "Watch DVD" activity to try and determine why this functionality isn't working for you.
post #192 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

The Harmony will use discretes if they are available. If they are not available, it will attempt to keep track of power and input states. No other "lesser priced remote" will do this. If you don't have discretes for your devices and you manually power things on or off, it will fool ANY macro using remote. The Harmony is one of the cleverest remotes available for the price, but even so, it can't read your mind! To say it is less feature laden than cheaper remotes is just plain wrong.
post #193 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Can the Harmony remote be programmed so that it will turn off the desired components after a certain amount of time?

For example, can you program it to turn off all your "play a game" components after 120 minutes?

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #194 of 1732 Old 10-17-2006, 11:32 PM

sorry guys...new to universal remotes...but what "discrete codes"? i hear this a lot but i don't know what it means! my 720 from costco should be coming any day now.
post #195 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrooveLA View Post

sorry guys...new to universal remotes...but what "discrete codes"? i hear this a lot but i don't know what it means! my 720 from costco should be coming any day now.

A discete code is an IR command that performs one specific function, and only that function.

The most common discretes required are for Power and input selection.
eg most standard remotes will have one button which turns the device both ON and OFF(ie it toggles the power), where ideally for a macro you would want a command for ON, and a different command for OFF.

A lot of devices have discretes available even if they are not on the factory remote. The Harmony will use discretes if they exist, but if they don't exist it uses "Smart State" to keep track of power and input states of your devices, so it won't turn off a device that's meant to be on by issuing a "Power toggle" command. They are the only universal remotes that can do this(apart from some other expensive options that use "variables", however variables are much more difficult to program with).
post #196 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Alright, yes, the Harmony will use discrete codes, but let me be more clear: according to 4 different techs, the discretes will NOT be used in the beginning of the command sequence. It will try to guess and THEN use discretes at the end of the command sequence. This is the effect it had on me. If you think about this, it will make sense. 1)Go through wizard and add activity, choose inputs on tv and av receiver and what device to turn on. 2)Add discrete power on for tv at the end of each Start Activity. Sounds good, right? Even if I manually turned off my tv, it should turn it on. But one more step is needed: 3)Add Input select on tv AFTER the discrete power on. But this makes no sense, because I already used the wizard to add the tv inputs initially. So the command sequence is now something akin to a)make sure tv is on, b)make sure tv is set to right input, 3)make sure av receiver is on, 4)make sure AV Receiver is set to correct input, 5)make sure Switcher is on, 6)make sure Switcher is set to correct input, 7)turn on device, 8)send discrete POWER ON code to tv, 9)send INPUT select to Tv. That's 9 steps totalling to about 10 seconds of pointing the remote. THIS is where discretes and their placement come in. Instead of a)make sure tv is on - it should send the discrete power on for tv. No guessing. b)make sure tv is on right input - good. So far I've eliminated the last 2 steps. c)make sure receiver is on and d)is on correct input - could be reduced to the Input Select discrete code being sent, for a savings of 1 step. The same applies for (5) and (6), one discrete code can do it. and (7) make sure device is on...again a discrete code. (8) and (9) are not needed, as it should already have taken care of that. If this remote used discrete codes LIKE IT SHOULD (I know several people above keep saying, Yes they use discretes...but they don't use them properly), then this 9 step 10 process would be a mere 5 step process taking a few seconds. So that's it: the placement of commands that can be manually added are not able to be chosen. It's at the end of the command sequence or nowhere. I've tried to make this as clear as possible. Options should be available.

post #197 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Ladd, thanks for the reply. " We would need more input from you as to what is or isn't happening (and when) for your "Watch DVD" activity to try and determine why this functionality isn't working for you" . My dvd activity works fine as long as I don't walk up to it and put a dvd in. I have to keep the same dvd in forever, because if I walk up and insert a dvd, then the Harmony still thinks my Dvd player is off. Right? Then I select Watch Dvd and it applies the power toggle command to the player, which it thinks is off. Now the player has turned off (thanks to the power toggle command), and the Harmony thinks it's on. Then I must use Help. All this, because I inserted a dvd. Now, if the Harmony sent a Power On discrete when I selected Watch Dvd, it wouldn't matter if it was on or off: it would turn on. Discrete commands integrated into the primary part of the command sequence would make this remote be even "smarter".

post #198 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Rocko, no the Harmony will not do the Sleep function that a $20 Onforeall or Radio Shack remote will do.

post #199 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

CZZER, that's the glory of discretes. The remote doesn't have to keep track of power states, it's not needed. I can program all my current remotes to "keep track of power states" using discretes. What does the Harmony do anyways with it's info? It applies toggle power commands. That's akin to a computer knowing how to print a document on a printer and then using a pencil on paper that might or might ot be there. Just use the damn printer, it'll work.

post #200 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry Mattardo, you've got it all wrong.

When you set up a device, you can tell it to use discretes(if available), OR toggles. If you set it up with discretes, it will use discretes just like any other universal remote.

It sounds like you added extra steps to the activity start sequence to send discretes after everything else is set up. This is absolutely not required. All you had to do was go to "Power options" for the device in question, then select "This device has a command for ON, and a seperate command for OFF". You then select the appropriate commands for ON and OFF, and the remote will use them whenever you select an activity.

The sequence when starting an activity is to send all power commands first(assuming those commands are setup in the "Adjust power settings"), whether they are discretes or toggles. Next, Power On Delays are invoked, followed by setting of inputs(once again, using discretes if available and setup, or toggles if discretes aren't setup). After this is done, the extra activity start commands are sent(this is where it sounds like you put your discretes, instead of the correct Power or Input setups).

I understand you might have been misinformed by tech support(which is unusual...they are usually very good), but the fact is the remote WILL use discretes if available just like any other universal remote...WITHOUT any extra steps. It is possible they didn't understand exactly what you were trying to do.

As for "CZZER, that's the glory of discretes. The remote doesn't have to keep track of power states, it's not needed. I can program all my current remotes to "keep track of power states" using discretes. What does the Harmony do anyways with it's info? It applies toggle power commands."

I know all about the glory of discretes. I use them wherever possible. However, some of my devices(like many on the market) don't have discretes available. In this case, the glory of Smart State means the remote keeps track of power and input states, which most certainly IS needed. You might be able to program a regular universal to do something similar, but it will be a hell of a lot harder than with a Harmony, if not impossible. And once again, it does not apply toggle commands if discretes have been setup properly.

This isn't meant to be a dig at you Mattardo...I understand you were lead astray by tech support(which is a shame...I think you would have been impressed if you had persisited). I'm just trying to clear things up for other potential purchasers...this remote is a lot smarter than a $20 OFA(apart from the sleep timer )
post #201 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

My dvd activity works fine as long as I don't walk up to it and put a dvd in. I have to keep the same dvd in forever, because if I walk up and insert a dvd, then the Harmony still thinks my Dvd player is off. Right? Then I select Watch Dvd and it applies the power toggle command to the player, which it thinks is off.

Yes, I can see how this order of events would be an issue for the Harmony if your DVD player did not have discreet ON/OFF codes.

However, is pressing the "Watch DVD" activity button BEFORE you put the DVD in the tray that much of an issue?

I realize that we all have our "hot button" issues and I grant you the right to have this one be one of yours, but in return you'll have to allow that the "solution" will appear to be easy to many other folks.

Kinda like picking one's battles with one's lovely bride. One learns early on that always putting the toilet seat down just isn't that hard to do and doing so comes with the reward of an overall improvement of the quality of life.
post #202 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

You both make valid points. But according to tech support (2 out of 4 understood me), the applying of a discrete code at the beginning of the sequence (by telling the setup wizard that it uses 2 separate power buttons) is overriden by the Smart Aspect of the command sequence. I was told that even if the device has a discrete code, the remote will NOT send it as part of the inital sequence: because it thinks it's on or off, so the application of the discrete is unecesarry. That is exactly what they told me. The techs are the ones who added the discrete codes (which were already programmed in from the wizard, by the way) AT THE END of the sequence. They knew what I wanted. But they chose to do it that way, because according to them, the remote does NOT use discretes at the beginning. It guesses. I spent HOURS on the phone with them determining this, and these were level 2 techs. The last tech was so condescending, he would whine at me "Matt, Matt. This remote is activity-based and just doesn't work that way." Okay, I get it. It can't do it, and I think you're mistaken in thinking that simply because a setup wizard asks me about the power buttons, that it will use them when switching activities. Try it, if you own something that has a discrete code (which is virtually anything nowadays that isn't Fisher Price based), and it is applied in the Wizard, try powering on your devices with the remote, turn them off manually and then use the remote to switch among them. It will not work correctly. I know, because I went through it for hours. The smart state overrides the wizard settings, because the wizard settings have no impact on it.

post #203 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

And yes, there are cheaper remotes that work better than this remote. A Oneforall remote is much more effective than a Harmony. I can set up a Oneforall remote to "keep track of power states" with discrete codes in less time than it takes to navigate a Wizard which makes me repeat steps. There have been at least one or two posters on this forum that have commented on the horrible design of the setup software. It takes me less than 5 minutes to apply macros for 7 devices. That's fast compared to the Harmony. The Home Automator URC remotes are another example. They take even less time than a Oneforall, but they cost more. I can set them up to "keep track of power states" and it takes less time, and no help button is needed. They are not perfect , but the only thing that separates this Harmony 720 from them is : the Harmony has an attractive color screen with nice button labels , the tilt function to enable lighting works extremely well , it has a recharging station , and the transport buttons are annoyingly similar sized and small . See, I'm not all jeers for it. Those 3 things attracted me. I figured it would ALSO mimic the great reliablity of those remotes. It does not. Look, I'm not out to make people angry. Yeh, I was a little incensed at first, and spoke out of anger, but there remains at the core a product that doesn't live up to it's price, unless you're older and can't program macros or your'e a small child. My girlfriend, who knows NOTHING of technology, understands the HELP button , but refused to use it out of the principle. She then went and got the URC remote and used it. She hit one button and everything worked. And yes, I put the toilet seat down for her, but she didn't cost $200 and wasn't hyped as being a great remote. Do I even have to bring up the broken button or the rubbed off letters people are experiencing? Or the tilt sensor having to be "reset"? It sounds like me with certain things. I want them to work. I want them to be awesome. They are not. So I make excuses for the product and jump through hoops and keep telling myself "It's worth it..it cost a lot of money..it must be worth it..." It took me a day to get over this. I will say it again: if you ALREADY have a Harmony and like it, then buy it. If you don't currently own a Harmony and are used to remotes working well, then don't buy it.

post #204 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Just got the last 720 at the local Walmart (had to pay $159, unfortunately), set it up in a matter of minutes, and I'm completely thrilled with it. I've had zero issues so far. This is the first "fancy" universal remote I've used (I had been using the Denon 3805 remote until now) and I've found everything to be extremely user friendly and intuitive. I just finished setting up favorite channels complete with icons. When my wife sees this she is going to be impressed to say the least...

I do however have one question: Is there a way to get it to automatically bring up the favorite channels when I enter the "watch T.V." activity?

Thanks in advance.
post #205 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, I get it. It can't do it, and I think you're mistaken in thinking that simply because a setup wizard asks me about the power buttons, that it will use them when switching activities. Try it, if you own something that has a discrete code (which is virtually anything nowadays that isn't Fisher Price based), and it is applied in the Wizard, try powering on your devices with the remote, turn them off manually and then use the remote to switch among them. It will not work correctly. I know, because I went through it for hours. The smart state overrides the wizard settings, because the wizard settings have no impact on it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. In my case, the remote most definately does re-send discretes even when switching activities involving a device that it thinks is already on.

I have tried a URC MX-850, and I absolutely hated it. Programming was a pain, and there was no way to get it to work with my displays. I have 2 displays(CRT and projector) and neither of them have discretes for input or power. There was no way I could find to get an MX850 to work as an activity based remote with a display that doesn't have discretes for inputs. I then bought a Harmony and had it working perfectly with it in about 5 minutes.
post #206 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I'll take your word that your remote sends discretes when switching (though not for your tv and projector, I assume). Mine does not. Well, DID not, as it is now Walmart's property once again. I can see how not having discretes would hamper a URC from working for you. In the rare case that my URCs do not have an inbuilt discrete code, I simply add the discrete to a remote that takes direct input advanced codes and then learn it. I have all my discretes, so it's not an issue. So we will agree to disagree. Gee, if I had known there were so many Harmony fanatics out there, I would have SOLD one of you my remote instead of returning it. Heh.

post #207 of 1732 Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. In my case, the remote most definately does re-send discretes even when switching activities involving a device that it thinks is already on.

I have tried a URC MX-850, and I absolutely hated it. Programming was a pain, and there was no way to get it to work with my displays. I have 2 displays(CRT and projector) and neither of them have discretes for input or power. There was no way I could find to get an MX850 to work as an activity based remote with a display that doesn't have discretes for inputs. I then bought a Harmony and had it working perfectly with it in about 5 minutes.

I'm with you...my 720 sends discreet codes flawlessly every time. I push an activity button, everything fires up properly. My 720 display is set up with discreet codes for things like changing between 16:9 and 4:3, antenna/HDMI/component, all my DVR functions (OnDemand, Swap, MyDVR, etc.). ...works EVERY time. When it's time for bed, the off button does it's thing; when it's time to watch, the remote knows the state of all my components and turns them on. No guessing as long as the remote is used properly.

Programming is ridiculously easy (a little time consuming waiting for the Web to do its thing, but who cares).
post #208 of 1732 Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 AM

I am having issues with the Xbox360 and the 720. Especially turning it off. It rarely works on the first try, and even when I enter 'Help' mode it takes multiple attempts to turn off. I have also had problems controlling the 360 in 'Device' mode. I have tried experimenting with the delays. Any thoughts?
post #209 of 1732 Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Try taking the battery out and then waiting 10 minutes. Then reinsert the battery. Then try choosing another setup code for the 360 and making an activity. This should take 20 minutes. Then make sure the 360 is in a state that the remote can recognize. Then hit the help button 20 times until you're satisfied. Oh, I forgot, spend 5 minutes updating the changes to your remote. Then call tech support. After 30 minutes with level 1, you should be transferred to level 2 with a wait of 15 minutes, sometimes more. Then wait for them to change options in your setup. Then rehook your remote back up and update it again. 5 minutes. It's helpful to find something to do while waiting (I play half a sonata and it's usually ready). Then test. Don't forget to go back to your computer and tell the wizard you're satisfied. Mostly.

post #210 of 1732 Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry, I'm kidding. Okay, I'm done grousing. Lol.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page