Harmony 720 Official Thread. For all info and FAQs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1732 Old 05-25-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please use this discussion thread for posting info specific to the Harmony 720 remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

According to AVS member "disgruntled1", the Harmony 720 is available online at Costco

Strange that the the U.S. Logitech website continues to offer no sign whatsoever of the remote's existance.

The U.K. Logitech website has photos and information on a model 785 that is almost, but not quite the same as the 720 shown in the photo above (there is a row of colored buttons between the transport buttons and the number buttons).
post #3 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, here is a link to it...
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=
Haven't seen it in the store though.
post #4 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
are the buttons backlit, especially the # buttons ?
post #5 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 01:15 PM

Was at Wal-Mart last night. They had the 520 in stock on the shelf, and also had a tag for this 720, but it was apparantly sold out. I believe the price was $199 if I remember correctly.
post #6 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled1 View Post

Yes, here is a link to it...
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

Yup, same link I provided by clicking the word "Costco".

Note: if anyone's browser doesn't highlight the active links in my above posting, "Costco", "U.S. Logitech site" and "U.K. Logitech site" are clickable links going to the respective site.

Went to my local Target today and no sign of the 720 as has been reported in another discussion thread, although they did have the 520. Didn't think to try Wal-Mart (and I was even there, in the garden section), 'cause it never occured to me they would sell a remote so expensive.

I'ld love to see one of these remotes as I will most likely purchase either a 676 or a 720.
post #7 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Yup, same link I provided by clicking the word "Costco".

LOL! I see that now. The word "Costco" cunningly disguised as a link. I need to figure out how to that.
post #8 of 1732 Old 05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Is the only difference between the 720 and the 880 (other than the layout) a smaller LCD screen and two fewer activity buttons?

Thanks!
post #9 of 1732 Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Checked my local Wal-Mart this evening and they do, in fact, have the Harmony 720 hanging right next to the 520. Price was $194.

The package does mention "backlighting" but I couldn't find a "glow" button on it. Perhaps it has a tilt sensor like the 880?

The transport buttons seem like they might be a bit low, but I guess that would be decided by where the balance point is.
post #10 of 1732 Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

My local Walmart has the new 720 next to the 520 (that I have) and I tried to play with it today despite the packaging and I would tend to agree that the buttons, especially the transports, are not laid out very well and not as good as the 520.
post #11 of 1732 Old 06-03-2006, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As noted in my post above, I agree that the transport buttons appear to be a bit low - and given that 99% of my TV watching is either cable-supplied DVR or my own TiVo, transport control usage is at the top of my list.

I'm still guessing that the weight of the battery and the resulting balance point is important to know. There is plenty of room for one's hand to grasp the remote so that the fingers fall naturally over the transport keys -- if the remote is balanced when holding there, then that might be OK.

We'll just have to wait until someone can actually hold a 720 in their bare hands outside of the packaging and offer a report.

I'm not a big fan of the cradle-charging requirement either, although I could see it being convenient to folks who have an easy place to put the crade. I have several NiMH chargers and a drawer full of batteries, so keeping batteries charged and swapping them out wouldn't be an issue for me.

This (and price and location of transport controls) is one of the reasons I'm still considering the purchase of a 676. As you like your 520, it's time for me to review that one again too.*

I am drawn to the color screen, however, as I'm finding that the impending doom of old age is making it increasing difficult to see things close** and I am thinking that the color icons would make it easier for my lovely bride and myself to "read" which button is the "play DVD" button without memorizing the location. Wife Acceptance Factor, ya know?

*Checking the Logitech site, I see that, like the 720 there is no info on the 520, only the 550. Which one is now the current model?
UPDATE: I see that the 520 is listed on the Canadian Logitech Site .

**It will NOT be advisable to ask my wife to put on her reading glasses every time she wants to change activities!
post #12 of 1732 Old 06-05-2006, 12:07 PM

I too was at Wal-mart in Derry, NH last night and saw the 720(no price on the peg hook). They also had the 520 next to it. I went to look for the info on Logitech's website today and found squat. Found the link to this page via Google.

I have a Denon 3806 and a 2910, Moto 6412 DVR, Mitsubishi 52725 DLP RPTV, and some other gear I want to get one remote for. The Denon remote is crappy to say the least. I want to be able to control all the functions of the TV, Receiver, and the Cablebox with one remote.
post #13 of 1732 Old 06-10-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

We'll just have to wait until someone can actually hold a 720 in their bare hands outside of the packaging and offer a report.

Happy to oblige. I picked up a 720 from my local Costco a few days ago ($169) and figured I'd add a few comments.

Quote:

The U.K. Logitech website has photos and information on a model 785 that is almost, but not quite the same as the 720 shown in the photo above (there is a row of colored buttons between the transport buttons and the number buttons)

My sense is it's exactly the same, except for those odd colored buttons, which may have to do with "teletext."

Quote:

are the buttons backlit, especially the # buttons?

They are backlit, not quite as successfully as the keyboard of an aluminum Powerbook, but then the keys and symbols on the remote are smaller. If there is a way to adjust the brightness or turn it off I haven't come across how to, yet. In a dark room, once your eyes adjust, they're visible but not obnoxiously so. The LCD is very VERY bright in the dark.

Quote:

Perhaps it has a tilt sensor like the 880?

The transport buttons seem like they might be a bit low, but I guess that would be decided by where the balance point is.

It does have the motion sensor.

When I hold the 720 I like where the transport buttons are, the back of the remote slopes and protrudes in just the right places for it to seem acceptable, my thumb can reach them acceptably and still reach the channel and volume up and down controls, and it's nicely balanced considering the form. It does not seem in any way a natural extension of the hand though, a la Tivo or previous gen Harmony. I have a big hand, I suspect someone with small hands might feel that the 720 styling is too top heavy, and significantly less natural than the peanut/figure 8.

Normal use--hold it at the top--press your activity button--keep it aimed until it does it's business--then shift your grip down to the bottom for volume, channel, transport, etc.

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of the cradle-charging requirement either, although I could see it being convenient to folks who have an easy place to put the crade. I have several NiMH chargers and a drawer full of batteries, so keeping batteries charged and swapping them out wouldn't be an issue for me.

It's too new for me add anything substantive to this, except to say the battery does seem to be strong and have good life. I'm tired of swapping rechargeable batteries in and out of my remotes, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, frankly, so don't mind an odd lithium ion battery as long as it holds up fairly well over time. We'll see. I've left it off the cradle on purpose for several days and with intermittent but normal use the battery indicator still shows a full 3 bars. The day I programmed the thing (6 hours total testing and tweaking and experimenting) I tried to run it down and didn't get it below two bars. It doesn't fit so snugly--and obviously--in the cradle as some would probably like, but you do get used to sliding it in just so after a while, the sensor strip is grooved and you hear an audible beep when you drop it in there correctly. The three tiny brass sensors of the 880 have been replaced on the 720 by two much longer, wider sensors.

I'm going to live with it for a while longer.
post #14 of 1732 Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the 720 have a cradle charger or is it purely batteries like the 360/520/550?
post #15 of 1732 Old 06-11-2006, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Happy to oblige. I picked up a 720 from my local Costco a few days ago ($169) ...

Congrats for being the first person here to actually touch and try out one of these guys!

I just purchased one off eBay and if I'm lucky it will be here in a few days.
post #16 of 1732 Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled1 View Post

Does the 720 have a cradle charger or is it purely batteries like the 360/520/550?

Cradle. The remote easily "snicks" into place and appears to not have the problem that the early 880's did.
post #17 of 1732 Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can anyone offer a clue as to where I can search to find out how to set up the "Listen to Music" activity so that my Sony A/V receiver will go to one of the radio frequencies assigned to a preset?

My receiver has three groups of ten presets (A: 0-9, B: 0-9, and C: 0-9). Adding the command "preset" and "7" to the music activity changes the tuner to preset #7 in whichever group was active last time the tuner was used (i.e. preset A7 if the last preset was anywhere in the "A" grouping, B7 if the preset was anywhere in the "B" grouping, etc).

There are no device commands available for "A", "B" or "C", so there must be some other way to tell the receiver which preset group to use.

I suppose I could try to do a direct entry sequence, but having the remote shoot out all the numbers individually (i.e. 1-0-7-.5-0) is awkward...
post #18 of 1732 Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A minor inconvenience is how to direct tune HD OTA TV stations.

There is no "." hard key, so if I want to go to my local CBS HD OTA station, there appears to be no easy way to punch in "9.1" ...

I'll try mapping "." to the "record" transport key, since I don't think I'll be using the "record" function while watching TV.
post #19 of 1732 Old 06-15-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BTW: when registering the remote and going through the intial setup, I was instructed to select from two categories -- is my remote an "880/890" or "all others".

I selected "880/890" because the 720 has a color screen. I don't know what would happen if you selected "all others".

Once the computer actually connects to remote and uploads the info, the Logitech website accurately displays that I have a 720 and shows the appropriate photo.
post #20 of 1732 Old 06-18-2006, 10:36 PM

I took delivery of a Harmony 720 last Thursday. I got it from Costco. Other than Costco's slow turn around processing the order, I had no problem getting it.

It feels really good in my hand. Well balanced and solid constuction. The activity buttons beside the color screen require a little too much effort. The rubber buttons have a little too much travel and I don't always press them far enough.

The set up was frustrating because the new version 5.2 software didn't want to load my settings to the remote. At some point, the remote screen said "go to website to update remote." So I went to the website, and the update was flawless. Since then, I've confined my tinkering to using the web software, which seems about as intuitive as the Harmony software on my computer. After getting familiar with the device and after tweaking a few configuration and function issues, it works better than I would have imagined.

It not only passed the wife acceptance factor, it earned her praise and I even got a kiss! My wife is generally good with technology but she resisted getting a new remote. Once I showed it how easy it would be to use - especially to switch from watching TV to watching DVD or listening to CD, she was sold on its simplicity and ease of use. She likes the way it looks too.

So, I would rate this a 4.25 out of 5 (mainly because the buttons need refinement in their tactile quality and the software was initially frustrating).

post #21 of 1732 Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also get the "go to website to update the remote" error about a third of the time. I figured out the problem (at least with my setup).

I have the Harmony software set to "watch the download folder" so that after the hex file is downloaded to the computer, the harmony software will automatically upload the data to the remote. For some reason, I believe the software tries to upload the data to the remote before the file is fully downloaded to the computer.

After the upload fails with the "go back to the website" error (which I'm guessing is a generic way of saying "the upload did not successfully complete, please try again"), simply double-clicking on the fully-downloaded data file on my desktop always results in a successful update of the remote.

I can tell if the automatic upload is going to fail, because the "thermometer bar" that measures the upload of the data to the remote goes much faster than what you see if the upload is successful.

Since this "upload failed" issue didn't crop up until near the end of my initial configuration of the remote (probably 40 uploads over a span of two days), if I was a gambling man, I'ld guess the problem has some relation to the downloaded data's file size.

I started remote configuration by listing every component I had on the website and after spending more than a short while drowning in the bazillion options offered by the website when selecting the "let me show you all actions available for your group of components", I deleted everything except the TV and the A/V receiver. Then I always selected the "let me add the Actions I desire manually" option and started to slowly add the specific actions I wanted. This way I had a much better idea of what to do and how to go about it when later adding additional devices one at a time (TiVo, Cable DVR, DVD player, etc.) and adding Actions that pertain to those devices.

Since I didn't get the "please go to the website to update the remote error" until after I had added numerous components and configurations*, I'm guessing the downloaded file size got to a point that it triggered something on my end so that the upload to the remote started before the file was fully download. The first thing I would test is if my automatic anti-virus scan of downloaded files, even though quick on such a small file, is somehow gumming up the works by introducing some sort of delay between the time the file is fully download and the time that it is "ready" to be uploaded. Perhaps this delay is confusing the Harmony software update process.

But I haven't tested this because the problem didn't occur until almost the end of my configuration process and now that I'm rarely updating the remote anymore, there is no annoyance. And since I can just turn off the Harmony software "watch for downloaded files" option and start the remote update manually by double-clicking the downloaded hex file, it's just not a bother anymore.

I can also confirm the high WAF -- after getting the remote mostly configured, I presented it to her as the gift of being able to actually use the home theater system in the living room (i.e., listen to FM and CDs). My lovely bride narrowed her eyes and said "and how much did this cost?" Five minutes later she was saying, "well, this is cool" and "that HELP feature is very nice" and "so we can program in the buttons for my favorite radio stations?"

*I could try removing the photos from the slide show to reduce the downloaded file size -- it's possible that the update error began around the time I added them. Perhaps it is as guessed simply a matter of download files size, perhaps it is more specifically related to having photos in the configuration.
post #22 of 1732 Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was stunned to see today that after only six days of use, numerous text labels printed on the case under the Transport Control buttons have worn off completely. There is no text label left at all under the SKIP BACK, PLAY, SKIP FORWARD or PAUSE buttons, and the word "Skip" that is printed on the case under the SKIP button is almost completely gone.

Yes, I use the transport control buttons almost exclusively, but that's what they are there for. I don't see how I could have overused the buttons in only a few hours of use. I don't have chemicals, hand cream or sandpaper on my fingers.

While I would not be happy that the text wore off after a year of use, at least it would be slightly understandable.

But SIX DAYS!?

Edit: The remote pictured above was cheerfully replaced by Logitech and the replacement remote has been in use for over a month with no apparent degradation of text labels.

Pure Speculation: as one of the first people in the U.S. to get one of these, perhaps there was a quality control issue with the first batch.
post #23 of 1732 Old 06-23-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No response from Logitech after three business days, regarding the issue of button label text from rubbing off almost immediately.

But for folks who might be interested, the large selection of "favorite channel" icons that are discussed at length in the Harmony 880 discussion threads work just fine on the 720.

post #24 of 1732 Old 06-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Does anyone know how to goto the favorite channels without clicking the favorite channel button whenever I select an activity ?

I would to click "Watch Directv" and goto the favorite channel automatically. Right now I have to click the an extra button to do this ...

Has anyone been able to do this ?

Also does the 720 have a tilt sensor or motion sensor or both ?

I had the 880 for a couple of days and whenever I picked it up the light came on automatically.

I verified that the "Enable tilt sensor" was selected in the software setup. I have to shake it really hard for the light to come on. I think it may be defective..

Thanks,

Rich
post #25 of 1732 Old 06-24-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Re: Tilt sensor vs motion sensor.

I think it's more of a tilt sensor than a motion sensor, but in any case, mine requires only picking it up or a gentle tilt of the wrist (along the long axis of the remote) to get the glow light to come on.

If getting the glow light to come on requires a motion that needs to be described as "shaking", then I might guess that something is not working correctly for you.
post #26 of 1732 Old 06-24-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Re: Tilt sensor vs motion sensor.

I think it's more of a tilt sensor than a motion sensor, but in any case, mine requires only picking it up or a gentle tilt of the wrist (along the long axis of the remote) to get the glow light to come on.

If getting the glow light to come on requires a motion that needs to be described as "shaking", then I might guess that something is not working correctly for you.

Thanks for the info.... I will go return it to Costco for another...

What about this ...

Do you know how to goto the favorite channels without clicking the favorite channel button whenever I select an activity ?

I have a older Pronto and I programmed this feature... It's kind of a pain that I have to click "favorite channels" every time I choose a new activity for my directv. (I have created multiple activities since I can only store a limited amount different channels per activity. So I created Directv (Networks), Directv (Sports) .. ect....
post #27 of 1732 Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmastbro View Post

Do you know how to goto the favorite channels without clicking the favorite channel button whenever I select an activity ?

I poked around for a moment and don't immediately find a way to do that. But I'll bet it can be done.

Try a search of the 880 discussion thread (lots of posts there) or as a last resort (or first, if you simply want to get the correct answer right away) simply call the Logitech support line and they'll set it up for you if not easily doable yourself.
post #28 of 1732 Old 06-25-2006, 05:17 PM

I got a 720 at Costco last week. I'm really impressed. My last universal was a Kameleon, which was waaaay too sensitive to motion. The 720 responds to 'true' movements. Setup took a good 30 minutes or so, but part of that was me futzing with the slide show that plays when you place it back in the cradle. I only had one thing to change after the initial setup, and there is still some more customizing to do, but overall I'm really happy with it. I have it set to control my TV, receiver, DVD, PS2, XBox, and HTPC.

I only wish there was an expert mode for tweaking. THose wizard interfaces annoy the crap out of me. There was some confusion during setup because there wasn't a full list of hardware at first. For instance, no HTPC option is visible during the initial setup, but after I went back to edit the activity, viola! That and I would like to change the activity icons, which isn't allowed (yet).

To Ladd: Call Logitech. I had the same problem with my Logitech G15 keyboard. Supposedly a prerelease batch was sent into retail of those, and I'm hoping teh same thing didn't happen here, sine the website still doesn't even list the 720. In the case of the G15, they sent out a new one that I recevied in 3 days, and I didn't even need to send the original back.

I posted this on the Logitech support forums, but its worth noting here, too.
post #29 of 1732 Old 06-26-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroking View Post

I got a 720 at Costco last week.

Did you buy it at a store or online? My local Costco told me these were only available online.
post #30 of 1732 Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not that you asked me specifically, but I'm pretty sure the 720 is only available from Costco via their online site. You can, however, return it to a brick and mortar Costco if you wish/need to.

The Harmony 720 remote is hanging on the hooks, available for immediate purchase at the three Wal-Marts I've been in over the last month.

And they can be purchase on eBay (new) for significant savings if you're lucky and/or not in a hurry.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page