FYI: New URC policy on MX series....no updates... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 508 Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
I think it's fun to speculate and debate the hows and whys, but I get the feeling that some some are just here on this forum to trash URC and CI's. :(
I can live with the trash talk....some of it is warranted based on the posters' personal experiences IMHO (i.e., if I were in some of their shoes, I might be as upset). What gets me is that some of the ones doing the trash talking seem to be even more outraged that there are actually people who arent as pissed off as they are...if at all. It almost sounds like they are trying to convince everyone who doesnt see it from ther point of view to "follow" them and completely turn our backs on URC and CIs (even though that might mean turning our backs on ourselves in some cases). :)

I love the internet. THANK YOU AL GORE!!! Im super duper serial!
Audiophiliac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cruzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sherman Oaks,Ca
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"What comment, and what form? I think this form you speak of will possibly be filled out by URC in the near future, maybe not. URC remotes will still be available online and fleabay, but I think the MX line may get pinched off over a period of time."

Look on the Ebay site.Its a simple enough form to find,and yes,it requires a company officer to fill out the form ,then place a phone call.Go look for yourself.URC could have done this months,if not years ago..

As to what comment of your's regarding Ebay,
Look at my last post then look at your post above that.You clearly mention ebay unauthorized sales.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

Cruzin is offline  
post #183 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno13
You say something that is flat out untrue and my pointing out the falsity of that statement makes me "cranky?" Not at all.

Frustrations? Guess again. I had the software from an unathorized source shortly after the policy change. I'm just laughing at the gullibility and dishonesty of some who post here.

Feel free to point out where I've shown "animosity" towards CIs. I'll be waiting.

Again, pointing out a false statement is not animosity.
hanno,

I'm not making statements to perpetrate some kind of fraud on you or anybody else, you're paranoid. I'm merely stating my opinion. Stating that what I say is 'false' implies deceit, of which it isn't. You could say I'm wrong, or incorrect, or whatever. You could merely disagree with me, that's fine. Let me clarify further; I think the MX line was supposed to be CI only, and URC's actions are trying to corral that line to CI only channels. I still think that. Implying that I'm gullible and dishonest does nothing effective other than show antagonism. Add to that statements about my "CI only Dreams" and my delusional reality, it's quite clear that you have a negative constitution to put it politely. I'm not really expecting much of a debate with you since it's clear you're looking for a fight, but at least I'm trying. ;)

If you have the software, and aren't frustrated, you could have fooled me. I, again, THINK, you have an axe to grind over URC's policy. Yet, you're still here complaining about what a bad company URC is and willingly getting in pissing matches with anybody who doesn't agree with you.

You have the remote, the software which you gleefully got illegally... what are you missing here to be a satisfied URC customer? The Live Update?
bigpapa is offline  
post #184 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,963
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Life is about control...Good for URC in reigning in their products to select dealers. This is a good step towards QC. In the end, it is the best thing for legitimate buyers. These gray market sellers simply cheapen the product.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #185 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin
"What comment, and what form? I think this form you speak of will possibly be filled out by URC in the near future, maybe not. URC remotes will still be available online and fleabay, but I think the MX line may get pinched off over a period of time."

Look on the Ebay site.Its a simple enough form to find,and yes,it requires a company officer to fill out the form ,then place a phone call.Go look for yourself.URC could have done this months,if not years ago..

As to what comment of your's regarding Ebay,
Look at my last post then look at your post above that.You clearly mention ebay unauthorized sales.
What does this from do, cut off sales of all URC remotes? URC doesn't intend to cut off all internet sales on fleabay, nor should they. They're trying to regain control of their channels. They have their consumer lines of remotes, closeouts, and legitimate sellers of used remotes, all of which are supposed to be available on fleabay. This isn't an all or none proposition as some seem to think. How is fleabay supposed to keep track of what's authorized and what's not? That ultimately relies on URC, and that's why URC is enacting these policies.
bigpapa is offline  
post #186 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
hanno,

I'm not making statements to perpetrate some kind of fraud on you or anybody else, you're paranoid. I'm merely stating my opinion. Stating that what I say is 'false' implies deceit, of which it isn't. You could say I'm wrong, or incorrect, or whatever. You could merely disagree with me, that's fine. Let me clarify further; I think the MX line was supposed to be CI only, and URC's actions are trying to corral that line to CI only channels. I still think that. Implying that I'm gullible and dishonest does nothing effective other than show antagonism. Add to that statements about my "CI only Dreams" and my delusional reality, it's quite clear that you have a negative constitution to put it politely. I'm not really expecting much of a debate with you since it's clear you're looking for a fight, but at least I'm trying. ;)

If you have the software, and aren't frustrated, you could have fooled me. I, again, THINK, you have an axe to grind over URC's policy. Yet, you're still here complaining about what a bad company URC is and willingly getting in pissing matches with anybody who doesn't agree with you.

You have the remote, the software which you gleefully got illegally... what are you missing here to be a satisfied URC customer? The Live Update?
You say something that is provably false:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
The MX line was meant to be a CI only line.
and my pointing out the falsehood of your statement somehow makes me "paranoid." You do have fantasies. Interesting that since you can't back that falsehood, you have started backtracking - now it is (I think the MX line was supposed to be CI only,).
Before it was "meant", now it is "supposed."
Keep trying.

One more time, any remote that is sold through internet sites that don't provide CI support to the buyer is not meant to be "CI only." When URC stops selling through 6th Ave, J&R, etc., get back to us about how "URC's actions are trying to corral that line to CI only channels."
Until, then, enjoy that particular delusion and keep projecting
Vain effort.

Oh, and you use the word "illegally." Id' love to see you prove that I did anything illegally. Which state law did I break? Seemingly another delusion for you to enjoy.

Still waiting for you to show the post where I expressed animosity to CIs. You said it, back it up. Waiting...
Oh, wait a minute, here's an easy out for you - you can just say that was your "opinion." But then, does saying something like that not supported in fact, make you paranoid? :rolleyes:

As regards "pissing matches." (and yet, you keep responding) I don't care if you agree with me or not, it doesn't impact my life at all. You can have any opinion you want. You saying something untrue, doesn't somehow make it true. I'm more than happy to point out when your statements are not grounded in fact or truth.

Sorry, keep trying, I've got the live update software and had it before many who bought from "authorized" dealers did. Yeah, it cost me a few minutes of effort. No big deal.

I'm not really mad at URC. Surprised and disappointed they could do something so stupid and then not be forthcoming about their rationale for doing so but it hasn't slowed me down. I'll continue to use my remotes and software until it's time to buy new ones. Then I'll look around to see who has the best deal.
hanno13 is offline  
post #187 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
jim_arrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They should have made the new policy applicable to an all-new line of products at introduction (even if they're the same products with new model numbers). Those products should not be made available to the general public, only through the authorized dealers who would fully program the remote for the customer as part of the purchase price (since they say their products can only realize their full potential when professionally programmed).

I'm done with them, I own 3 (mx-500, mx-650, and mx-850 + mrf-300 base station) and also gave my father an mx-500 as a gift a couple years ago. They lost this customer as a result of how they handled this, all future remotes will be Harmony's or some other competitor.

So, does anyone know where to download the software?
jim_arrows is offline  
post #188 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_arrows
So, does anyone know where to download the software?
On their website.
bigpapa is offline  
post #189 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hanno,

It's too bad you're so upset. It's clear to me I can reason with you, let alone debate you.

I stand by my position that the MX line was supposed to be CI only. The fact that some MX remotes are available at sites you noted isn't proof that my statement is false, that logic in and of itself is complete fallacy. You're assuming, as is others, that the supply chain is bi-leveled; it isn't. While your logic may be that way, the real world and distribution chain for URC isn't.

Maybe it's proof that URC wasn't effective at controlling their market, yes. But, their recent actions are proof that they are doing something about it. It's too bad some here are so irate about it, over, it seems, not much. All the cries about 'not supporting' and 'screwing thier customers' is a bunch of hot air propagated by the vocal minority. When all is said and done, few are minimally impacted.
bigpapa is offline  
post #190 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
Hanno,

It's too bad you're so upset. It's clear to me I can reason with you, let alone debate you.

I stand by my position that the MX line was supposed to be CI only. The fact that some MX remotes are available at sites you noted isn't proof that my statement is false, that logic in and of itself is complete fallacy. You're assuming, as is others, that the supply chain is bi-leveled; it isn't. While your logic may be that way, the real world and distribution chain for URC isn't.

Maybe it's proof that URC wasn't effective at controlling their market, yes. But, their recent actions are proof that they are doing something about it. It's too bad some here are so irate about it, over, it seems, not much. All the cries about 'not supporting' and 'screwing thier customers' is a bunch of hot air propagated by the vocal minority. When all is said and done, few are minimally impacted.

Right. Buy a remote from 6th Ave and let us know when the CI shows up to program it. Same for J&R. Tell us again how these remotes were meant for CI only when both dealers are authorized dealers advertised on URC's site. Read this real slow - both places are URC authorized sellers. Both places sell remotes without CI support. These remotes are not intended to be CI only. So much for your claim of "fallacy.":rolleyes:

Since you have demonstrated your difficulty with the truth you seemingly project your own shortcomings onto others. Nothing I have said is false in any respect - facts or logic. You cannot claim the same. Keep trying.
hanno13 is offline  
post #191 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Oh, and you use the word "illegally." Id' love to see you prove that I did anything illegally.
I don't have to. You stated before that you recieved the SW from an 'unauthorized source.'

THIS SOFTWARE MAY NOT BE SOLD, TRADED, DISTRIBUTED FOR A FEE OR DISSEMINATED TO OTHERS BY ANY MEANS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL, INC.

I doubt anybody is going to jail over this, but what you did sure isn't legal, unless you have the 'express written consent' of URC. If you got the SW from an authorized source, then there wouldn't be an issue.
bigpapa is offline  
post #192 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
I don't have to. You stated before that you recieved the SW from an 'unauthorized source.'

THIS SOFTWARE MAY NOT BE SOLD, TRADED, DISTRIBUTED FOR A FEE OR DISSEMINATED TO OTHERS BY ANY MEANS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL, INC.

I doubt anybody is going to jail over this, but what you did sure isn't legal, unless you have the 'express written consent' of URC. If you got the SW from an authorized source, then there wouldn't be an issue.
As pathetic as the rest of your drivel. Have a grown up explain the difference to you between "unauthorized" and "illegal". Nothing I have done is illegal (and I know a bit about the law).

I said I got the software. I didn't say I "SOLD, TRADED, DISTRIBUTED FOR A FEE OR DISSEMINATED TO OTHERS"
And even if I had, which state law did I break?
One more time for the slow - "unauthorized" is not the same as "illegal" (a violation of the criminal law).

Keep trying. Pathetic but funny.

Still waiting for you to point out my "animosity" to CIs.....
Delusion?
hanno13 is offline  
post #193 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hanno,

Can you just disagree with me without calling me a liar, delusional, having shortcomings, etc et al?

The fact that an MX 850 is available at a website does not exclude the statement I made about them being meant to be CI only. There are many reasons why the one fact and the one statement can exist. I don't know why you can't understand that. You can merely disagree with me, that's fine. You can say "Yeah, but URC didn't do a very good job controlling their market," and I might agree with you. But the existence of one fact (MX remote available for purchase online) does not exclude my statement (MX was meant to be CI only). That has been URC's position on and off record for a long time, but MX remotes have been available to non-CI's for a long time. So, factually, you are incorrect.

Unless, of course, you can prove that URC all along was full of it and blatantly lied. You have no proof of that, or even subjective reasoning, all you have is your suspicions. I have my reasons why I've come to my opinoins I do, and it's based on a lot more than a URC press release.

The only reason I can think of that explains why you're so locked onto this point is that you think URC is playing both sides, and it's all some big conspiracy to propagate some big lie. Therefore, anybody who states 'MX was supposed to be CI only' is propagating the Big Conspiracy.
bigpapa is offline  
post #194 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_arrows
They should have made the new policy applicable to an all-new line of products at introduction (even if they're the same products with new model numbers). Those products should not be made available to the general public, only through the authorized dealers who would fully program the remote for the customer as part of the purchase price (since they say their products can only realize their full potential when professionally programmed).

I'm done with them, I own 3 (mx-500, mx-650, and mx-850 + mrf-300 base station) and also gave my father an mx-500 as a gift a couple years ago. They lost this customer as a result of how they handled this, all future remotes will be Harmony's or some other competitor.

So, does anyone know where to download the software?
Here is another point to look at. Now I havent seen the "new" software bundle yet. So this is hypothetical. If it is a different application all together, and not a separate Editor program for each remote, then those "old" versions of the software are likely not being further developed. So there may never be another update for the MX850 Editor, or the MX900 Editor software. If they switched to a different app. all together, then the latest update (July 31st) may have well been the last for some or all of the "old" Editor programs......

So maybe having the ability to perform a Live Update on your MX700 Editor may mean nothing since there may never be another update since they arent doing any further development on it. Like Microsoft. They only support and update older OSs for so long...they cant afford to continue developing patches and updates for Windows 98.

Just a thought.
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #195 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
hanno,

Can you just disagree with me without calling me a liar, delusional, having shortcomings, etc et al?

The fact that an MX 850 is available at a website does not exclude the statement I made about them being meant to be CI only. There are many reasons why the one fact and the one statement can exist. I don't know why you can't understand "that. You can merely disagree with me, that's fine. You can say "Yeah, but URC didn't do a very good job controlling their market," and I might agree with you. But the existence of one fact (MX remote available for purchase online) does not exclude my statement (MX was meant to be CI only). That has been URC's position on and off record for a long time, but MX remotes have been available to non-CI's for a long time. So, factually, you are incorrect.

Unless, of course, you can prove that URC all along was full of it and blatantly lied. You have no proof of that, or even subjective reasoning, all you have is your suspicions. I have my reasons why I've come to my opinoins I do, and it's based on a lot more than a URC press release.

The only reason I can think of that explains why you're so locked onto this point is that you think URC is playing both sides, and it's all some big conspiracy to propagate some big lie. Therefore, anybody who states 'MX was supposed to be CI only' is propagating the Big Conspiracy.

What a load of crap. 6th Ave and J&R are "authorized' dealers advertised on URC's own web site. This has nothing to do with URC "controlling" their distribution chain. URC sells through these "authorized' dealers. URC's position "on the record" is that these remotes can be bought online through a URC "authorized" dealer, without any CI requirement whatsoever. Period. So much for your "CI only" tripe.

Still waiting for you to point out where I expressed "animosity" to CIs. That was a lie. One you have neither retracted or corrected. Or was it just a delusion? :rolleyes:

Keep whining. Keep posting untrue statements. Keep trying.
hanno13 is offline  
post #196 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Here is another point to look at. Now I havent seen the "new" software bundle yet. So this is hypothetical. If it is a different application all together, and not a separate Editor program for each remote, then those "old" versions of the software are likely not being further developed. So there may never be another update for the MX850 Editor, or the MX900 Editor software. If they switched to a different app. all together, then the latest update (July 31st) may have well been the last for some or all of the "old" Editor programs......

So maybe having the ability to perform a Live Update on your MX700 Editor may mean nothing since there may never be another update since they arent doing any further development on it. Like Microsoft. They only support and update older OSs for so long...they cant afford to continue developing patches and updates for Windows 98.

Just a thought.

I think some folks are upset that new codes will be added to the MX Editor that will not be available to them. Indeed, the ability to update codes was a selling point for URC. From the URC web site:

"Windows Based PC Software
The MX Editor software contains over 1,500 "code sets" of Brands/Models, including hard to find and specific discrete codes that allow for precise control of all system components. MX Editor software also has the ability to learn new commands and Live Update the IR database over the internet, guaranteeing compatibility with any component you may add to your system in the future. MX Editor can be used on a Mac if the user has a Windows 98, XP emulator, or ME, 2000."
hanno13 is offline  
post #197 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whoa now, you must read that whole sentence in context.

"MX Editor software also has the ability to learn new commands and Live Update the IR database over the internet, guaranteeing compatibility with any component you may add to your system in the future."

So with some tricky word placement and sentence structure, or just a technical writer who isnt to technical, they have provided an "out" for themselves, since you will always be able to learn new commands to the remote.

There is no way they can guarantee "any component" via just the IR database, since as of now there is a relatively small number of components in the database, and no one can expect them to ever have every code for everything ever made. :) So learning had to be a contingent piece of that statement.
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #198 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Still waiting for you to point out where I expressed "animosity" to CIs. That was a lie. One you have neither retracted or corrected. Or was it just a delusion?
I was wrong. You're just nasty with me, a CI. My bad. But, I point out again, you have a nasty constitution because I couldn't merely just be wrong, or mistaken. I had to be delusional, or I lied. That's either a projection or blatant paranoia. I merely the first to brunt your wrath. Do you feel better now that you got it all out?

Quote:
What a load of crap. 6th Ave and J&R are "authorized' dealers advertised on URC's own web site. This has nothing to do with URC "controlling" their distribution chain. URC sells through these "authorized' dealers. So much for your "CI only" tripe.
Dude, it has everything to do with URC controlling their supply chain! Are you kidding? This is the reason that URC has culpability here. They need to pinch off the MX series remotes to these retailors, which is easy to do if they are direct. But, there are many URC products which are meant to be available here too, but aren't CI only. I suspect that the MX 850's are just going to be sold out as is since they are considered a close out model, and upcoming MX products (900, 950) are going to have more stringent channels. I don't know what the plans are for the 3000.

Again, this is an opinion, if it's not factually correct that doesn't mean it's a lie or a delusion... over the next few months the older MX lines will be let to sell out, but newer lines will be harder to get from 'authorized retailers.' To get CI only (MX) remotes, you may have to go to an actual CI. I think (my opinion, not a fact, lie, or delusion) that if URC holds this process steady, you will end up with 'CI only' remotes coming from CI's, and consumer remotes coming from all the online vendors. This doesn't just happen in a day or a week. The SW control is the beginning of a process.

The DIY'ers will still be probably be able to get the 'CI only' remotes, but through different channels. They can buy them from CI's without the CI's programming them. Everyone is happy for ever after.

Except you, hanno. You'll still be thinking I'm lying to you for some reason or other. :(
bigpapa is offline  
post #199 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Whoa now, you must read that whole sentence in context.

"MX Editor software also has the ability to learn new commands and Live Update the IR database over the internet, guaranteeing compatibility with any component you may add to your system in the future."

So with some tricky word placement and sentence structure, or just a technical writer who isnt to technical, they have provided an "out" for themselves, since you will always be able to learn new commands to the remote.

There is no way they can guarantee "any component" via just the IR database, since as of now there is a relatively small number of components in the database, and no one can expect them to ever have every code for everything ever made. :) So learning had to be a contingent piece of that statement.

Context? Are you kidding? "...learn new commands and Live Update the IR database." Parse all you want about an "out" and "guarantee" (a word I never used, URC did - "guaranteeing"). Yes, one can learn new commands without the new software. One cannot update the IR database. The word "and" is key. Not "or" but "and." The bottom line is that folks were told (on URC's web site, no less) that they could use MX Editor to update the IR database. Now, folks without access to the new software, may not have access to new codes. Simple as that. That may explain some of the anger and disappointment here.
hanno13 is offline  
post #200 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel a bit bad for people who take personal attacks on the internet so personally. :) I have been attacked here as well by certain people, but I just have to laugh it off.

PS....there is a private message function provided for you to use as you wish ;)
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #201 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
I feel a bit bad for people who take personal attacks on the internet so personally. :) I have been attacked here as well by certain people, but I just have to laugh it off.

PS....there is a private message function provided for you to use as you wish ;)
Um... Aren't "personal" attacks meant to be taken "personally?"
Context and all that.

Not sure who you are referring to. As for me, I think the resort by some folks to outright falsehoods and by others to pathetic parsing, in vain attempts to support nonsense, is funny, yet sad.
hanno13 is offline  
post #202 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Disabling the Live Update feature doesn't constitute 'lack of support.' You'll be able to learn commands in the future right into the remote. That's a stretch, to say the least.

I assume some here expect that there should be fully updateable support for a $200 to $300 dollar remote in perpetuity.

Philliac, the CI site doesn't have 'one for all' app, which is what I was expecting. Maybe they will in the future.
bigpapa is offline  
post #203 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dude...are you an english major or what?

They are guaranteeing compatiblilty with your future components via 2 methods. Learning and the IR database. If you can do either one, you have guaranteed compatibility.

There is no specific guarantee that the IR database will provide codes for ANY and/or EVERY component in the future. If thats what you read into the statement, you may be the gullible one. I cant see the URC techs 50 years from now still adding new IR codes to the database for all the new products so the 10 people who are still using MX remotes will be happy. Can you?
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #204 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Not sure who you are referring to. A for me, I think the resort by some folks to outright falsehoods and by others to parsing, in vain attempts to support nonsense is both pathetic and funny.
Hey philiac, tell hanno...

This is the best Saturday morning I've had in a long time! Thank you AlGore!
bigpapa is offline  
post #205 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Dude...are you an english major or what?

They are guaranteeing compatiblilty with your future components via 2 methods. Learning and the IR database. If you can do either one, you have guaranteed compatibility.

There is no specific guarantee that the IR database will provide codes for ANY and/or EVERY component in the future. If thats what you read into the statement, you may be the gullible one. I cant see the URC techs 50 years from now still adding new IR codes to the database for all the new products so the 10 people who are still using MX remotes will be happy. Can you?
Please point out where I ever said anything about "guarantee." URC did.

Also please point out where I did anything but quote URC's own langauge regarding the Live Update. Their words, not mine. They can stand by what they wrote or not.

Consider discretes. Some manufacturers nay not provide discrete commands for given piece of equipment. these discretes may however be available in the database. I have personally come across this. In the future, folks without the new software will be SOL regarding such things. Not a problem for me but I certainly understand how others are angry.
hanno13 is offline  
post #206 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno13
Um... Aren't "personal" attacks meant to be taken "personally?"
Context and all that.

Not sure who you are referring to. A for me, I think the resort by some folks to outright falsehoods and by others to pathetic parsing, in vain attempts to support nonsense, is funny, yet sad.
From someone who I have never met, and probably will never meet, and has no idea who I am, or what I am about, and is formulating opinions about my character and integrity based on a heated internet discussion is far from personal.
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #207 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
From someone who I have never met, and probably will never meet, and has no idea who I am, or what I am about, and is formulating opinions about my character and integrity based on a heated internet discussion is far from personal.
Really? What opinion do I have? Or, are you projecting?
hanno13 is offline  
post #208 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
Hey philiac, tell hanno...

This is the best Saturday morning I've had in a long time! Thank you AlGore!

Yep, the beauty of the internet is when someone tells lies ("animosity" to CIs, for one example) the lie just hangs out there for all to see.
hanno13 is offline  
post #209 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow.....maybe I paid TOO much attention in english class.

If you can read that quoted statement from URC, and only come to the conclusion that they are claiming that they will continue to add new IR codes for EVERY component FOREVER, which is what it sounds like you are implying, I am sorry.

Does anyone else read that and come to that conclusion?
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #210 of 508 Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Member
 
hanno13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Wow.....maybe I paid TOO much attention in english class.

If you can read that quoted statement from URC, and only come to the conclusion that they are claiming that they will continue to add new IR codes for EVERY component FOREVER, which is what it sounds like you are implying, I am sorry.

Does anyone else read that and come to that conclusion?
What a vain dodge. Please point out where I ever said:

"they are claiming that they will continue to add new IR codes for EVERY component FOREVER"

Never said it, never inferred it. Quoted URC's own language though. Their language, however one decides to parse it. Not mine.

"Windows Based PC Software
The MX Editor software contains over 1,500 "code sets" of Brands/Models, including hard to find and specific discrete codes that allow for precise control of all system components. MX Editor software also has the ability to learn new commands and Live Update the IR database over the internet, guaranteeing compatibility with any component you may add to your system in the future. MX Editor can be used on a Mac if the user has a Windows 98, XP emulator, or ME, 2000."

Keep trying.
hanno13 is offline  
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off