post #91 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty
I was talking "Buy it Now" Prices. I just won a pair of Maui Jim glasses for $89 the other day. I saw a pair just like them in a store for $289 yesterday. Should I tell them they should lower the price? The fact is, I got them for very cheap with no warranty. They aren't illegal to get at that price, but I can't expect Maui Jim or any local retailers to honor them if something happens.
The thing is that I don't expect URC to honor my remote...I just want the software and IR database updates like I expected in purchasing the remote.

Quote:
They will take a financial hit, but they probably don't care. I bet if they sold their remotes for $5 more than it takes to manufacture them, they'd sell a whole lot more to people like you. So should they do that?
Hey it works for Walmart...but they don't really make ANY money do they.

Quote:
This just goes to prove my theory that I'm dealing with a bunch of 3 year olds here. You have no idea how much money I make or my technical background. A technician in our company gets charged to a client less than what a local electrician costs while a programmer gets billed out at about 50% more. It truely amazes me how much hatred you guys have for CIs. Give it up, will you? I don't get pissed at my auto mechanic for charging me a bunch of money to fix my car. It's life...You can have an expert do work for you, pay them for it, and usually get it done faster and more proficient. Or you can do it yourself and save money. There is nothing wrong with doing your own work...But don't give guys that do it (to feed their families) grief because they charge for it. The funny thing is you're an engineer...what do you charge for your services? I bet if I DIY'd some local buildings or bridges I could save the town a whole bunch of money! Or is it that your "highly technical and super expensive expert mind" is over charging people for your services? ;)
I definitely don't HATE you, but I do think that you are just a bit bitter that many people are trying to do your work when you THINK you can do it better. Hey if you could figure out how to build a bridge I would lose customers...like you. But you can't so my job is safe. Simple as that. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
" I say adios. Please keep your word and don't buy another URC product."

And you wonder why some of us dislike the attitude of some CI's(no ,not all CI's).A word of mouth business run by someone who doesnt know when NOT to run at the mouth,swell.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #93 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin
" I say adios. Please keep your word and don't buy another URC product."

And you wonder why some of us dislike the attitude of some CI's(no ,not all CI's).A word of mouth business run by someone who doesnt know when NOT to run at the mouth,swell.
No kidding. It's amazing how poorly the CI community has represented itself here in the last few days (With a few exceptions). Instead of staying quiet regarding a decision that largely didn't require their involvement or input, some individuals have chosen to truly alieniate the DIY community. And have you noticed how the worst offenders don't even have the balls to list where they work? All in all, pretty pathetic.
post #94 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder how many eBay sales will come from this :-) Some CIs (not all) here and on remotecentral are giving themselves a bad name and I for one will gladly support my local eBay "unauthorized dealer"

I won't argue about the quality and ease of use of the URC remotes. I have a Harmony remote I purchased about 6 months ago, but I stuck it in a drawer after using it for a day so I'm not about to jump onto the Harmony ship. But after reading the responses from some CIs (who are representing URC since Eric is very scarce around here) I have no issues with buying from these bad bad men on eBay :p
post #95 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierht
I love this place. The funniest part in all of this is that all you whiners telling URC and the CIers how to run their businesses and what they should be doing are going to buy Harmonys. Thats great for all of us CIers. I say go ahead. Go to the Harmony forums. Get magnifying glasses so you can read the lcd screens and the buttons. Fire up your internet connection and get to programming... oh wait, you can't really program them. I say adios. Please keep your word and don't buy another URC product.

Do you really think URC that makes literally tens of millions of remotes a year will miss your diy purchases? Do you really think us successful CI shops will miss your incessant whining and complaining (we wont have to read it since we don't read the harmony forums)? The answer to both is no.

My favorite post here is the guy who told his parents not to go with a CI quote since it has URC remotes in it. LMAO you idiot. You think your parents are going to thank you later for you forcing Pronto or Harmony on them? Ha. And all because you're an expert who has programmed 20 remotes. I love this place.

This place is great.

Thank you! :) Well put.

URC changed a policy. Deal with it. They have no obligation to satisfy the people who buy their product at places they encourage you not to. They will openly tell you the risks involved in purchasing from places other than their authorized dealers. If you go against such advice, you are taking a risk that you have to live with the consequences of. Its called research. Look into it before you buy something. Especially electronics. How many people start buying home theater gear on a whim on the internet without doing one bit of research or asking knowledgable people a few questions?

If you bought a car, and realized a month or 2 down the road that it doesnt have a ski pass through in the rear seat, would you take it back to the dealer and bitch because they should have told you it had one? Hell no you wouldnt. That is something you should have thought of and researched before you bought it.

If you think URC has an obligation to people who buy their products from places that shouldnt be selling them, even though they warn them not to buy them there, sorry. But they have a much larger obligation to their authorized dealers and CIs and their customers, of which there is a much larger number.
post #96 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch
I definitely don't HATE you, but I do think that you are just a bit bitter that many people are trying to do your work when you THINK you can do it better.
I'm not bitter at all towars DIY people. I just can't stand the way they bad mouth people that do this for a living. I bet there are some DIYers out there that could do a remote as well as I can. To be honest I don't do many of them...I specialize in Crestron programing and touch panel design. I'm not the best at that either, but I'm pretty good, and my clients seem to be really happy with my work.. That's all that really matters to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch
Hey if you could figure out how to build a bridge I would lose customers...like you. But you can't so my job is safe. Simple as that. :D
I bet I could design a bridge...It just probably wouldn't be very stable, and probably wouldn't necessarily be designed for optimal traffic to flow through smoothly. ;) The same goes for remotes. ANYONE can program a remote...When we sell our clients remotes they are not just programmed and very easy to use, but they come with our service as well.
post #97 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

"If you bought a car, and realized a month or 2 down the road that it doesnt have a ski pass through in the rear seat, would you take it back to the dealer and bitch because they should have told you it had one? Hell no you wouldnt. That is something you should have thought of and researched before you bought it."

I would complain if it had a ski pass through when I bought it,but now months later, that pass through is sealed off,yes.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

LittleBear tube preamp

post #98 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine
No kidding. It's amazing how poorly the CI community has represented itself here in the last few days (With a few exceptions). Instead of staying quiet regarding a decision that largely didn't require their involvement or input, some individuals have chosen to truly alieniate the DIY community. And have you noticed how the worst offenders don't even have the balls to list where they work? All in all, pretty pathetic.
You do realize that it isn't the CI's actingporrly here, right? If people would stop attacking each other this conversation would be a little bit more constructive. FWIW, I don't blame CI's for not saying where they work. Their opinion is just that...Their opinion. It doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of the company they work for.
post #99 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'll agree with you to a point Mcnasty.Where I take exception is with the CI's who's only response is,now you're getting what you deserve attitude.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

LittleBear tube preamp

post #100 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Could someone pass the popcorn please?

*ashu*
post #101 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Look, there's no way any CI could have done a better job than me at programming my MX-800, since it's basically perfect and does everything I want it to. And I have a 14 device HT system that's ungodly complex. I actually enjoy programming my remotes; it's fun and I don't want anyone else but me to have that kind of fun with my system. It's pretty funny to hear from URC and the CI cabal all this nonsense about how only a CI can possibly extract all the potential from a URC remote.

This whole fiasco was done for one reason and one reason only: to protect the profit margins of the CI community, the "authorized" dealers. And frankly, us DYI'ers don't really care about that. We just want to get our devices at the best possible price and have a hard time paying twice as much for something as we need to. Period. To think that URC and the CI community are going to "man-up" and admit this is kind of silly, but it would be refreshing.

Me, I'll just buy any future products from another manufacturer with a more customer-friendly policy. URC probably won't miss me; and I won't miss them either. After the MX-1000 fiasco, I've been quite aware of who and what they are for some time now.
post #102 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You do realize that it isn't the CI's actingporrly here, right?
No, no I don't realize this. You've got some CI's on here spewing such vitriol and contempt towards regular folks who are upset with this impromptu decision, that it's hard to comprehend that they be allowed to deal with the general public in their work at all.

It's one thing to agree with what URC has done, it's quite another to revel in the fact and continuously rub it in their faces.

But whatever. If you can't see that, then I'm wasting my breath discussing it with you.
post #103 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHSJason
The difference being that Crestron and AMX is highend equipment not meant for consumers. Good luck finding either companies hardware at a retail store.

Trust me when I say programming a actual control system is a lot more complex then a simple remote; no offense.
post #104 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
Look, there's no way any CI could have done a better job than me at programming my MX-800, since it's basically perfect and does everything I want it to.
I never said they could...I said "I bet there are some DIYers out there that could do a remote as well as I can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine
No, no I don't realize this. You've got some CI's on here spewing such vitriol and contempt towards regular folks who are upset with this impromptu decision, that it's hard to comprehend that they be allowed to deal with the general public in their work at all.

It's one thing to agree with what URC has done, it's quite another to revel in the fact and continuously rub it in their faces.

But whatever. If you can't see that, then I'm wasting my breath discussing it with you.
I almost thought you took what I said out of context until I re-read what I wrote. What I meant to type was "You do realize that it isn't JUST the
CI's acting poorly here, right?"
post #105 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 AM

This information should be posted directly on URC's website, Eric. I think it would help a lot in letting people know that they haven't been abandoned completely.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson
To All,

This announcement from URC is simply a clarification of policy. I'd like to remind everyone that for years, I have posted here and warned consumers that buying from unauthorized dealers is not a good idea.

Additionally, URC has always advertised our PC programmed products via our Custom Professional division. We make products for Consumers via our Consumer division. Our website and all advertising reflects this. When we speak about easy programming for a custom product, we have always been speaking to custom installers. When we speak about easy programming of a Consumer product, we are speaking to consumers. Easy programming means different things in different markets.

We do not warrantee product that is purchased from unauthorized dealers for a number of very good reasons:

1) The product may be stolen. As evidence, I would point out that we have purchased product every month from Ebay and other unauthorized sellers to trace their source of supply. In a few cases, we were able to trace and cut off their source. However, in too many instances, the seller has REMOVED the serial number!

2) The product may be sourced from a bankrupt custom installer. It may be old. It may be defective. It may be counterfeit. How is a consumer to know? Should consumers have to ask for photos of the serial number before they buy, then email us to ask if this is current, legal stock? No, they should be able to ask the dealer, "Are you an authorized URC dealer?"

3) Unauthorized dealers tell everyone who asks that the software is EASY, ANYONE can do it. SOME of the people who buy from unauthorized dealers ARE NOT prepared for the learning curve. These people obviously are not satisfied with advice on avsforurms, not satisfied with the manuals, and they call our custom profession technical support lines asking for step by step instructions over the phone. ALL TO PROGRAM ONE REMOTE. On the other hand, a custom professional , who programs fifty or more remotes a year and has a real issue (he can't get paid until the job is finished) can't get his question answered until technical support finishes with the consumer.

Yet the numbers of remotes sold through these unauthorized dealers are a tiny fraction of our custom professional business. An authorized dealer honestly explains whats involved and gladly offers the software to a consumer who is, as most of the poster here are, extremely intelligent professional people who wish to do it themselves.

We at URC want to make one point perfectly clear. We do not disrespect the DIYers here at remote central. We intend to continue to support this wonderful web site and a great group of enthusiasts.

An AUTHORIZED dealer is the right way to get honest answers and good advice. We give over 300 all day trainings a year to train our dealers on how to exploit the flexibility and customization capabilities of our software. They can advise you on how to unleash the software for your system.

AUTHORIZED DEALERS WHO GO OUT OF BUSINESS

For those of you with remotes that were purchased from an authorized dealer,

Fax me a copy at:

1-800-247-7002

We will arrange for another authorized dealer to support you.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED DEALERS:

I'd like to hear your stories. Do your remotes have serial numbers? Who did you purchase them from? Do you have a copy of the original purchase receipt?

Please email or fax me at the above numbers. We do care about anyone who purchases our products or who has purchased our products. We simply want to ensure that every customer gets good advice and is well protected by a FACTORY warranty, not a shallow promise from a fly by night con man/woman on the internet!!!

Best Regards,

-Eric
post #106 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk
The difference being that Crestron and AMX is highend equipment not meant for consumers. Good luck finding either companies hardware at a retail store.

Trust me when I say programming a actual control system is a lot more complex then a simple remote; no offense.
I agree

I program a lot more AMX than I do URC and there is no comparison(exepct maybe comparing the space shuttle to a bottle rocket). My point was that people on this fourm tend to like things like DIY type solutions as opposed to professional ones. The attitude tends to be that if they cannot do it themselves, then there must be some sort of corporate conspiracy going on. People on here like to say things like "this XYZ system can do anything AMX/Crestron can!". I find these posts very humerous.

PHSJason on RC , AVS ,IP, BT , XBL, and elsewhere
Jason Gillette on Cedia and elsewhere
post #107 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree

I program a lot more AMX than I do URC and there is no comparison(exepct maybe comparing the space shuttle to a bottle rocket). My point was that people on this fourm tend to like things like DIY type solutions as opposed to professional ones. The attitude tends to be that if they cannot do it themselves, then there must be some sort of corporate conspiracy going on. People on here like to say things like "this XYZ system can do anything AMX/Crestron can!". I find these posts very humerous.
Oh good. The thread so needed the arrogant snot factor added.
post #108 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I agree

I program... I find these posts very humerous.
Great, you can't spell at a third-grade level, but you want to program my control system....

Plus read the thread again, it has to do with a fairly simple to program remote line (the MX,) the software for which was freely available for download on the manufacturer's site, while touting "live updates," in order to entice end-users to try it and hopefully purchase the hardware.

By pulling the software and crippling the "Live Update," URC effectively screwed all the end-users, whom it initially enticed to purchase their product.
post #109 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
Oh good. The thread so needed the arrogant snot factor added.
I doubt he meant it to be arrogant. The Crestron and AMX systems are very good at what they do.

You can use them for but not limited to security, home/office automation, and general entertainment center uses. These remotes are limited to IR, right?

What makes the systems so powerful is the ability to expand the systems and how many ways they can be incorporated into systems.

You can control the systems with either wired touch panels, wireless touch panels, through the network using computers, or with no actual interface at all (100% automated).

These systems can add as needed serial ports, IR ports. They come with digital IO ports for more specialized uses. In addition they come with relays for relayed controlled devices like screens, lifts, shades, and the occasional Extron floor box.

Don't take it as anybody being arrogant and looking down on these remotes. They are nice, but they are not in the same class. The price reflects this as well.

Edit:

Ryan1, neither he (that I am aware of) or I have condoned URC's actions. I personally believe that as a consumer electronic device the remotes programming software should be available straight on the website. IMO the reasons behind their recent actions are BS.
post #110 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk
Ryan1, neither he (that I am aware of) or I have condoned UNC's actions. I personally believe that as a consumer electronic device the remotes programming software should be available straight on the website. IMO the reasons behind their recent actions are BS.
Correct. The only reason this action was taken was due to endless whining from the professional installer community. They simply want to protect their high profit margins and eliminate any competition on price, and URC is a willing accomplice. It's disgraceful, and all their self-righteous blathering to the contrary about how the end user will benefit by paying twice as much for programming services he often doesn't need isn't fooling anyone. :rolleyes:
post #111 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

OC-Nighthawk,

My compliments on your post and your honesty.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

LittleBear tube preamp

post #112 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
Correct. The only reason this action was taken was due to endless whining from the professional installer community. They simply want to protect their high profit margins and eliminate any competition on price, and URC is a willing accomplice. It's disgraceful, and all their self-righteous blathering to the contrary about how the end user will benefit by paying twice as much for programming services he often doesn't need isn't fooling anyone. :rolleyes:
I can't say how the home market CI companies are handleing this. I don't deal with any home jobs where I work. The few home jobs I've done on the side have been in mansions where the whole house is wired up.

In my professional opinion the remote is ment more for simple AV systems controled with IR that can easily be setup by the person who purchased it. In that respect it makes no sense for a CI to even bother with it.

I believe it should simply be sold retail and if URC (I guess you see how little I deal with them. I can't even get the name straight lol) is truely concerned about the custmers they should offer pay for classes where the programming is taught in detail over the course of a day or two. That's really the only service I can see that this remote would really need if any.

As far as profit margins go in the government world there is a thing called GSA. That dictates the price of everything.

In the corporate world the dealers get the hardware for a lot cheaper. The bigger companies sell the hardware for a couple hundred over cost, which isn't that bad. It's still way under MSRP. The actual money is made in providing the services for the hardware. Be it service contracts, programming, and on site support post sale. The hardware only exists to meet the needs of the client.
post #113 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Wow, glad I was doing my research before picking up a MX-900 off ebay. This will definately make me think about getting a Harmony instead.

I find the attitude of some of the resellers or CI as they're called odd. Here is a chance for them to maybe pick up some buisness but the way they talk down about people who like to DIY or those who like to shop for a good deal, why on earth would someone who read these threads have incentive to buy from them?

They look like nice products, but I really can't support a company that abuses legitimate customers (maybe not in their minds, and as I see definately not in the mind of a CI). Ebay is what it is, and the way to compete is to value add, not value remove.
post #114 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM

I just want to clear something up, because I really am suprised how the CI industry is looked at in this thread. CI companies have no issues with DIY people (at least the good companies). In the case of URC remotes, the CI companies were upset because any Joe could go on eBay or other on-line stores and buy a brand new remote for cheaper than the CI company could them for through their distributer. What this led to was smaller companies trying to sell the remotes, and the client saying "You're ripping me off...I can get the same remote from eBay for $100 less" Most reasonable clients would still buy it when they realized that the price not only included the remote, but we would come anytime they called to fix issues or update the devices when they got new equipment. Anyhow, this ended up causing many CI companies to wonder if they should go with another brand. I'm sure that when URC heard this they decided to do what they did. In My opinion, I believe the bulk sales of URC remotes are to the CI industry, and they did what they thought was best for their company. I think they could have handled it much differently, but I had nothing to do with how they handled the situation...neither did any of the other CI's you guys think are out to screw you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakbrak
I find the attitude of some of the resellers or CI as they're called odd. Here is a chance for them to maybe pick up some buisness but the way they talk down about people who like to DIY or those who like to shop for a good deal, why on earth would someone who read these threads have incentive to buy from them?
DIY people are not lost sales to a CI firm. Most of the profit that a CI firm makes comes from labor. If the client is a DIY person then we would make no money, and obviously not take the job.
post #115 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I just want to clear something up, because I really am suprised how the CI industry is looked at in this thread. CI companies have no issues with DIY people (at least the good companies). In the case of URC remotes, the CI companies were upset because any Joe could go on eBay or other on-line stores and buy a brand new remote for cheaper than the CI company could them for through their distributer. What this led to was smaller companies trying to sell the remotes, and the client saying "You're ripping me off...I can get the same remote from eBay for $100 less" Most reasonable clients would still buy it when they realized that the price not only included the remote, but we would come anytime they called to fix issues or update the devices when they got new equipment. Anyhow, this ended up causing many CI companies to wonder if they should go with another brand. I'm sure that when URC heard this they decided to do what they did. In My opinion, I believe the bulk sales of URC remotes are to the CI industry, and they did what they thought was best for their company. I think they could have handled it much differently, but I had nothing to do with how they handled the situation...neither did any of the other CI's you guys think are out to screw you.

DIY people are not lost sales to a CI firm. Most of the profit that a CI firm makes comes from labor. If the client is a DIY person then we would make no money, and obviously not take the job.
From my point of view I can't follow that reasoning. If the DIY ebay sales do not effect the CI, why would the CI (as you're implying) push for a change that seems to punish the DIY most?

I buy computer equipment for work. It costs a lot more for my company to buy a computer than it would for me to buy the exact same compter off ebay. The reason for that is the value added services, like better support, better warranty, quicker response, product integration, ect ect. Thats why theres such a thing as a white box or oem. It keeps everyone happy. Is that not a proper analogy? This kind of change midstream is only going to annoy people, at least short term.

Anyways, I can't afford, or more precisely, am unwilling to pay an 'authorized' price, and also unwilling to spend a ton of time looking for leaked software, so I guess its time to look for something else.

Who knew remote controls was so political :rolleyes:
post #116 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In the case of URC remotes, the CI companies were upset because any Joe could go on eBay or other on-line stores and buy a brand new remote for cheaper than the CI company could them for through their distributer.
What CI's fail to comprehend, is that absent ANY complaints of MASSIVE thefts of these remotes (and subsequent injection into the purported MX remote black market), the ONLY reason the supply chain was selling these for less was because URC was making it available to the root of that chain for less? Interesting that URC was the one ripping off CI's, if they're to be believed, and has abruptly done an about-face. Perhaps the popularity of MX remotes was dropping ... at least as a CI-installed medium?

If anything, blame URC for their past idiocy and attempts to undercut CIs.

OR, and this is absolutely brilliant, sell the remotes and the setup/service separately, so your remote control HARDWARE price is consistent with the ebay price that URC is letting them go for.

Implying free*, offered service as part of the remote is a promise that inherently incorporates the expense involved in providing this support. IF CIs don't pay a cut of their LABOR charges for repeat housecalls to URC, then URC should have no problem making identical version updates available to the agnostic user-base (CIs AND DIY-ers)

<edit> Voluntarily edited to remove unfair, unsolicited personal attack. And to fix my plethora of spelling errors! Back to the popcorn & couch. We can let market forces show URC whether they made a sound or foolhardy decision :)

*ashu*
post #117 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Like I said before (but the URC-supporting CIs are incapable of comprehending), then SELL the LABOR as a separate billable item!

*ashu*
post #118 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshsm
Like I said before (but the URC-supporting CIs are incapable of comprehending), then SELL the LABOR as a separate billable item!
Who says they aren't? It still affects the total which is the value he is refering to.

But what you don't seem to understand is that there is no money in box sales. The installer would not bother just selling the box to you, because he could expend the same amount of time and money to selling the remote and service to someone else. Thus you are not lost income you are not even on the radar.

Don't take offense to this because if you're honest you'll admit that the same installer isn't on your radar either; two different worlds.

The question is, why are installers bothering with a consumer electronic device? Just leave it to Best Buy and their ilk to sell. It's right up the alley of a consumer electronics store to sell this hardware.
post #119 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidziti
Eric -

I spoke at length with Magnolia/Best Buy and they seem quite confused as to how to help me get the software version that allows live updates again, as you alluded to in your last post and as my product originally promised. It seems that your new policy has not been communicated well with your authorized dealer base.

I am all for protecting one's business and customers from unauthorized dealers; I have dealt with grey market items and have decided they are certainly not worth the hassle. When I make any major purchase, I always ensure that the dealer is factory-authorized. A big reason I do that is knowing that the manufacturer will support me. However, I question your execution. It seems that you have charged your customer with the awkward task of seeking valid URC software from a third party. This I assure you is not a simple thing; my "authorized dealer" has no idea of your policy change and after several phone calls I have gotten nowhere. I am even a bit embarassed for URC in that I have to explain to your dealer about your new policy.

Why can't you go the extra step and allow those who have validated their products on your web site to download the live update-enabled software directly from URC? It seems that as allegient and responsible "authorized" customers we should at least be entitled to direct support from URC to help us through your new policy transition. If your concerns about authorized purchases have any altruistic intent for your customers - as your post clearly implies - then having us do this legwork for you belies that fact.

Really, Eric, it seems that although the intent of the policy was smart (and I do in fact support it), the execution of that policy makes me feel more like an unauthorized user and an outlaw of sorts. It's an ironic and perhaps unintended result of how you are implementing this change, and I would think you would find that - at least from a business aspect - very disturbing.

Eric - a lot of very strong feelings are being expressed here, many from the very customer base in whose interests you claim to protect. Care to weigh in again?

BTW - I can't find the serial number authorization link on your web site.

lee
post #120 of 188 Old 08-08-2006, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidziti
Eric - a lot of very strong feelings are being expressed here, many from the very customer base in whose interests you claim to protect. Care to weigh in again?

BTW - I can't find the serial number authorization link on your web site.
From reading his few responses on this forum and RemoteCentral, isn't is obvious he and URC don't care. This was done for the CIs. They get their money regardless.

about the link..
It's on the download page or just click below
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...gistration.php
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page