Closed Thread

post #181 of 188 Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm kinda late to this party, but for what is worth:

I purchased an MX-500 from Newegg 2 years ago, and upgraded to the MX-700 a few months thereafter....... I was just about to start looking for 3 MX-850 or 950 remotes, when I started reading about this new change by URC.

To Mr. Eric Johnson:
I'm sorry sir, but this is not the kind of business I want to get involved with...I will proceed to shop for Harmony 880 or equivalent Remotes at this point, and since I work very closely with ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) here in Boca, and their numerous ISF calibrators, rest assured that I will recommend that NOBODY ever buys a URC product until this new rule is reversed.

I'm sure the few tens of remote sales that you will lose from this is probably insignificant in the bottom line of your company's profits, but at least I will be able to sleep comfortably at night knowing that I did my part in boycotting such consumer unfriendly practices.

good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 188 Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You know what sucks? The MX series of remotes are so ergonomically superior (IMO) to other remotes, that I don't think I would ever purchase any of the current competitors to URC. Harmony is out, and I am not a fan of the big hand-helds with touch screens.

So what to do? Find a different brand, or skirt around the new rules... that is the question...

-T
post #183 of 188 Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone
You know what sucks? The MX series of remotes are so ergonomically superior (IMO) to other remotes, that I don't think I would ever purchase any of the current competitors to URC. Harmony is out, and I am not a fan of the big hand-helds with touch screens.

So what to do? Find a different brand, or skirt around the new rules... that is the question...

-T
I was nervous about getting my URC from eBay (because of the new policy), but on remotecentral.com there was a thread dedicated to this..

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ead.cgi?9300,1

So I gave it a shot and 2 days later I got my new remote. Great service and I received the live software. The CIs were bitching about it, but the thread ended up pointing me to eBay :-)
post #184 of 188 Old 08-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541
I was nervous about getting my URC from eBay (because of the new policy), but on remotecentral.com there was a thread dedicated to this..

So I gave it a shot and 2 days later I got my new remote. Great service and I received the live software. The CIs were bitching about it, but the thread ended up pointing me to eBay :-)
Good for you. Welcome to the dark side. ;)
post #185 of 188 Old 08-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sure seems to me the vast majority of bitching of late isn't CI's, but people who might or might not be affected by a certain policy changes implemented by URC. I assume you know of the policy changes, so either all these people are bitching about nothing, or you will soon be bitching about something. Or, you will just accept the terms of the situation and deal with it.
post #186 of 188 Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541

Just don't complain if you don't get the support you need in the future.
post #187 of 188 Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM
Just don't complain if you don't get the support you need in the future.
That's the point.. I know I'm taking a chance. I also know you may get a better deal than the MSRP by asking, but it's easier to hit "Buy Now".

If they really wanted the sales to stop, they could have. My remote has a serial number so it wasn't stolen out the warehouse. URC got their money. I may have gone through an AD if they advertised the best price, but URC supposedly doesn't allow that.
post #188 of 188 Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty
Wow...The tunnel vision you guys have in the whole matter is AMAZING! So I because 1 CI has said he has not seen this happen, then I guess it doesn't happen? The fact is it DOES happen, and it happens very often. Does it happen with the company I currently work for? Nope, but it the reason is because we are a high end company that mostly deals with Crestron for control. When we spec in an MX-Series remote, it is usually for a room in the house where the client has a stand alone system off of the Crestron system. Now, the last company I workd for, all the control sold was Prontos and MX series remotes. They were a company that did systems for the "upper middle class" people. It happened all the time in that company. What we did at first was allowed the clients to buy the remote online and we did the programming with the understanding that whe would not warranty the product in any way. A few people got glitchy remotes, and it always came back on us. To be honest, the larger CI companies that cater to mostly wealthy people were not affected by this. But who was affected the most were the smaller companies who have a hard enough time getting by as it is. As much as you think CIs are ripping you off, this is a very hard industry to succeed in.

I'm just a computer guy, but this one seems pretty much the same in my arena, but with a different result because there is not enough competition in the remote business. If there were 8 serious companies, none of this would have happened. I laugh at all of the posts, but most of all the CI's and auth retailers, like the one above and Audiophiliac(at first). If you are serving wealthy people, just ask them for more money for your services, then it won't be so hard.

I think of it like this. I can go and buy a completely built computer, or I can buy each part seperately and DIY. Do the companies withhold drivers to their components because I bought them seperate or from my next door neighbor? The answer is 99.9% of the time, no.

By building my own PC, Did I also put some computer builders out of work? Of course!, and guess what they did? They went out, got their A+ certification and started working on a helpdesk, because that is the way the industry went. Seems to me, if the industry was too hard, one would get into a different part or a different industry entirely.

Alright, I've had enough fun for tonight. Thank you all for the humor. :) I think earlier in this thread someone even had the cajones to compare purchasing a remote to being at war. My hope is that this is not the way life really is now.
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page