Liked: 10
Mx-3000?
post #3 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry I don't have that file.

I want to welcome all those who are here from the remotecentral website. There has been unbearable attacks by Custom Installers there. Atleast here we can discuss the topic and share our files without URC oversight.
post #4 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
URC looks at this forum too, but I can't argue with your feelings on this. This post is a classic example of why I was against this policy being retroactive.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #5 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi Rad,

I would discourage you or anyone on this forum from violating US copyright law. Universal Remote Control, Inc. does not permit anyone but an authorized dealer to distribute our software.

And yes, of course we monitor AVS forum and have for years.

Best Regards,

-Eric

Eric Johnson
VP of Technology
Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Phone - 1-800-247-7001
post #6 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 PM

LOL....Freaking Busted!!!

If you have a URC remote and bought it from an Authorized Dealer, Call or email them for a copy of the programming software. If you bought it on Ebay or from any other unauthorized dealer you might be screwed unless URC decides to sell copies of it

Thanks for keeping an eye our Eric!
post #7 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Hey Eric, You and the Authorized Retailers gloating over at remotecentrals have a great attitude. As VP of engineering I must commend you on an outstanding technical product...however, maybe you should stop by the office of the VP of Marketing and let him know that this new policy is going to lose alot of customers. Or maybe stop by the office of the VP of Communications and give them a lesson on how to write a more condescending press release:

"Our remotes are powerful and quite advanced, and in the hands of a trained programmer they can be configured to exploit all of the rich features that provide maximum consumer benefits. While it may be possible for a hobbyist or Do-It-Yourselfer to derive partial functionality, it is our strong conviction, based upon extended experience, that our products will not deliver their maximum potential unless they are professionally programmed."

good one, that.

-mark
owner of 2 Mx-700's purchased from those filthy ebayers
post #8 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_sd
Hey Eric, You and the Authorized Retailers gloating over at remotecentrals have a great attitude. As VP of engineering I must commend you on an outstanding technical product...however, maybe you should stop by the office of the VP of Marketing and let him know that this new policy is going to lose alot of customers. Or maybe stop by the office of the VP of Communications and give them a lesson on how to write a more condescending press release:

"Our remotes are powerful and quite advanced, and in the hands of a trained programmer they can be configured to exploit all of the rich features that provide maximum consumer benefits. While it may be possible for a hobbyist or Do-It-Yourselfer to derive partial functionality, it is our strong conviction, based upon extended experience, that our products will not deliver their maximum potential unless they are professionally programmed."

good one, that.

-mark
owner of 2 Mx-700's purchased from those filthy ebayers
Yeah, the guy who puts the remote in the shipping box at 6th Avenue Electronics (an authorized dealer) is going to somehow "professionally program" the remote he just shipped

Eric, we are not fools. Just rewrite your "justification" to reflect reality, say - As a result of our failure to ensure that all sellers charge the same high price and as a response to constant CI whining, we have decided to make it more difficult for unauthorized sellers. Dealers who wouldn't know how to program an egg timer are okay as long as they charge full MSRP."

Selling your remotes through Best Buy and 6th Avenue, gives lie to the "maximum potential unless they are professionally programmed" nonsense.
post #9 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson
... And yes, of course we monitor AVS forum and have for years.
Eric Johnson
VP of Technology
Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Phone - 1-800-247-7001
Nice curt message to all of us end-users who were just screwed by your company, Eric (if that's really you.)

There are a lot of us who purchased your product on good faith, and will now go out of our way to trash your company, service and product at every opportunity. The Internet is a wonderful thing!

I sincerely hope that you, and those around you, find yourselves jobless in a year or so.

Between the bad publicity, bad word of mouth, new products from Harmony and OpenPeak (http://www.openpeak.com/products.php) and hefty legal fees defending this swindle, hopefully URC will buckle. It sure deserves it.
post #10 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 04:51 PM

I dont understand the negativity of this action.

I see this as a big step in trying to eliminate unauthorized dealers selling the product at mush less than MSRP...sometimes less than dealer cost. No one will buy it from them if it doesnt come with the software and you cant get it online anymore. This will force people to buy from authorized dealers who will be able to get and possibly distribute the software. No harm done here.
Watch URC's next financial report. I doubt they will lose any business by this.
post #11 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
I dont understand the negativity of this action.... This will force people to buy from authorized dealers who will be able to get and possibly distribute the software. No harm done here....
What part of "I am an EXISTING customer, who has ALREADY PURCHASED the MX remote, and made my purchase decision based on the AVAILABILITY of downloadable SOFTWARE and updated DATABASE, and on URC's advertising on their site that this is an "EASY TO PROGRAM" remote," don't you understand?
post #12 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 05:15 PM

Call URC's service department and rationally explain your situation. If you do so with any amount of respect, they will likely accomodate you.

I am surprised your first reaction was to bitch about it on the internet. A simple phone call might be all you need to be happy.

Anyone who already has the remote, should already have the software anyway. If you lost the remote software disc, or simply lost the program, I am sure URC will assist you.

Furthermore, most of what the updates are going to give you is pre-programmed IR codes for new products. These are available by other means and are learnable as well.
post #13 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have no plan to violate any copyright laws but is it illegal to email a copy of the files if I have them. Also it really doesn't matter as these will be all over ********** in a few days.

I'm al set with my remotes.
post #14 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 PM

My sentiments exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1
What part of "I am an EXISTING customer, who has ALREADY PURCHASED the MX remote, and made my purchase decision based on the AVAILABILITY of downloadable SOFTWARE and updated DATABASE, and on URC's advertising on their site that this is an "EASY TO PROGRAM" remote," don't you understand?
post #15 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 08:44 PM

To All,

This announcement from URC is simply a clarification of policy. I'd like to remind everyone that for years, I have posted here and warned consumers that buying from unauthorized dealers is not a good idea.

Additionally, URC has always advertised our PC programmed products via our Custom Professional division. We make products for Consumers via our Consumer division. Our website and all advertising reflects this. When we speak about easy programming for a custom product, we have always been speaking to custom installers. When we speak about easy programming of a Consumer product, we are speaking to consumers. Easy programming means different things in different markets.

We do not warrantee product that is purchased from unauthorized dealers for a number of very good reasons:

1) The product may be stolen. As evidence, I would point out that we have purchased product every month from Ebay and other unauthorized sellers to trace their source of supply. In a few cases, we were able to trace and cut off their source. However, in too many instances, the seller has REMOVED the serial number!

2) The product may be sourced from a bankrupt custom installer. It may be old. It may be defective. It may be counterfeit. How is a consumer to know? Should consumers have to ask for photos of the serial number before they buy, then email us to ask if this is current, legal stock? No, they should be able to ask the dealer, "Are you an authorized URC dealer?"

3) Unauthorized dealers tell everyone who asks that the software is EASY, ANYONE can do it. SOME of the people who buy from unauthorized dealers ARE NOT prepared for the learning curve. These people obviously are not satisfied with advice on avsforurms, not satisfied with the manuals, and they call our custom profession technical support lines asking for step by step instructions over the phone. ALL TO PROGRAM ONE REMOTE. On the other hand, a custom professional , who programs fifty or more remotes a year and has a real issue (he can't get paid until the job is finished) can't get his question answered until technical support finishes with the consumer.

Yet the numbers of remotes sold through these unauthorized dealers are a tiny fraction of our custom professional business. An authorized dealer honestly explains whats involved and gladly offers the software to a consumer who is, as most of the poster here are, extremely intelligent professional people who wish to do it themselves.

We at URC want to make one point perfectly clear. We do not disrespect the DIYers here at remote central. We intend to continue to support this wonderful web site and a great group of enthusiasts.

An AUTHORIZED dealer is the right way to get honest answers and good advice. We give over 300 all day trainings a year to train our dealers on how to exploit the flexibility and customization capabilities of our software. They can advise you on how to unleash the software for your system.

AUTHORIZED DEALERS WHO GO OUT OF BUSINESS

For those of you with remotes that were purchased from an authorized dealer,

Fax me a copy at:

1-800-247-7002

We will arrange for another authorized dealer to support you.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED DEALERS:

I'd like to hear your stories. Do your remotes have serial numbers? Who did you purchase them from? Do you have a copy of the original purchase receipt?

Please email or fax me at the above numbers. We do care about anyone who purchases our products or who has purchased our products. We simply want to ensure that every customer gets good advice and is well protected by a FACTORY warranty, not a shallow promise from a fly by night con man/woman on the internet!!!

Best Regards,

-Eric
post #16 of 188 Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 PM

Well said Eric. :)
post #17 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Most of the people who bought off ebay don't want URC's advice or support. We don't want any warranty. We don't call any CI or URC for help. Why because we know we bought from an unaurthorized chain so save significant dollars. For instance I paid $370 for my MX950 where as authorized dealers are selling them for $699. BAsically I can buy two and have the second in case one was bad for nearly the same price as an authorized dealer.

All we want is the hardware. Again yes there are those who won't know how to maximize the programming but isn't that the business of the person who is using the remote to the less potential. This software way of controlling unauthorized sales WILL NOT WORK. Bitorrent will be flooded with files. Its been proven over and over again. When you make something illegal all that happens is it goes underground.

I do appreciate the VP of URC in taking the time to listen to our stories. But the most important story is that we all bought our remotes unauthorized because we wanted to save significant dollars knowing we would not have support or warranty but not knowing we would not have software upgrades.
post #18 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 AM

Exactly ^^

You took a risk, and now you see what happens when you buy something from an unauthorized dealer. You have zero claim to any support or future service or updates from the manufacturer. None...period. You saved a bunch of money, and you have the software. You should be happy.

And if the software will be available underground illegaly, then whats the big piss match for? For people who buy their remotes "illegaly" (through unauthorized dealers who may have got them that way in the first place), they can get their software the same way. Thats just how they are.
post #19 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You took a risk, and now you see what happens when you buy something from an unauthorized dealer.
Why would anyone know about this on a purchase from Amazon.com, Buy.com, or Costco? Less than 1% of potential customers read this forum or remotecentral.

The product comes in fancy -consumer- packaging and says absolutely nothing about authorized dealers or any requirement of professional installation or support. There is no disclaimer or warning on the box of any kind. Put the pretty box for a HTM remote in front of any court in this country and they will find that the remote was marketed toward consumers. Moreover, the remote packaging advertises live software updates; this is advertised as a feature of the product that customers are buying when they hand over their money.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Exactly ^^
And if the software will be available underground illegaly, then whats the big piss match for? For people who buy their remotes "illegaly" (through unauthorized dealers who may have got them that way in the first place), they can get their software the same way. Thats just how they are.

Now this is a personal attack on legitimate customers who may have purchsed URC products from some of the largest retailers in the US.

Here's a real world example:

Consumer looks into a product. Based on rave reviews and urging from friends the consumer decides that an MX-700 is just right for him. The consumer knows a holiday or birthday is coming up and decides to use Amazon.com to put the MX-700 on their wishlist. At this point the Consumer knows nothing of remotecentral.com, or message boards, or maybe didn't even go to URC's website. Just saw reviews and word of mouth that this was PC programmable (Just like Harmony) but more configurable for his growing theater.

So that special day comes, he opens his presents and WOW!!! A BRAND NEW IN BOX MX-700 just like they asked for on their Amazon wishlist.

OOPS, the software isn't included as they were previously informed. OOPS they can no longer obtain the software online as they previously read in a product review.

Wow, so now on that special day they just received a brick, or door stop or paper weight or whatever your favorite metaphore for a dead out of the box remote may be.

NOW, based on YOUR logic and statement above, either that person or their friend or family member that bought the remote from Amazon.com is a thief with no morals? Because as you put it
Quote:
That's just how they are
You sir need to go to the blackboard and write "I am a pompous a$$ who could care less about anyone outside of my world unless they are greasing my palms" about 1000 times until you learn to have a little respect for a consumer who may just not know any better becuase URC does a piss poor job of vendor control or printing this information on their packaging.

Thank you and have a nice day :)

-------------------------------------
He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any one I know. - Abraham Lincoln
post #21 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

What risk did I take. I have the new software up and running and my MX700 and MX950 are again good as new. I can update the software at will now.

Its just a matter of time before this software is available all over the net. Although I won't break copyright laws this is not containable.

The CI's have futher lost business from people.
post #22 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Update to All,

Over the past few days everyone here at URC has read these posts assiduously. We agree that to some consumers, contacting their authorized dealer has proven difficult. To ease this transition, we are temporarily adding a Serial Number Validation process to our website. For a limited time, this will allow those of you with original serial numbers (traceable products) to register your purchase with us and download the July 31, 2006 version of the software for the remote you purchased. This software will not support Live Updates, however it will allow you to program the remote you own with the latest software available.

Software available from your authorized dealer will support live updates. As always, if anyone is interested in purchasing one of our remotes, you will get honest advice and support from our authorized dealers.

There has been a lot of speculation in this forum that the reason we have made this move is solely to protect an imaginary pricing structure. Our authorized dealers set their prices without our influence. We only want to ensure that our products perform correctly.

Unauthorized dealers never attend our trainings, never have any official communication with our company. We have had product recalls in the past, no unauthorized dealer would ever be able to communicate a recall to you, the consumer. In addition, unauthorized dealers who remove serial numbers are in violation of many states consumer protection laws.

The new validation process will not be active until the evening of Monday August 7, 2006.

Best Regards,

-Eric

Eric Johnson
VP of Technology Universal Remote Control, Inc. Technical Support: 1-800-901-0800 Direct Line to Eric: 1-800-247-7001
post #23 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Eric -

I spoke at length with Magnolia/Best Buy and they seem quite confused as to how to help me get the software version that allows live updates again, as you alluded to in your last post and as my product originally promised. It seems that your new policy has not been communicated well with your authorized dealer base.

I am all for protecting one's business and customers from unauthorized dealers; I have dealt with grey market items and have decided they are certainly not worth the hassle. When I make any major purchase, I always ensure that the dealer is factory-authorized. A big reason I do that is knowing that the manufacturer will support me. However, I question your execution. It seems that you have charged your customer with the awkward task of seeking valid URC software from a third party. This I assure you is not a simple thing; my "authorized dealer" has no idea of your policy change and after several phone calls I have gotten nowhere. I am even a bit embarassed for URC in that I have to explain to your dealer about your new policy.

Why can't you go the extra step and allow those who have validated their products on your web site to download the live update-enabled software directly from URC? It seems that as allegient and responsible "authorized" customers we should at least be entitled to direct support from URC to help us through your new policy transition. If your concerns about authorized purchases have any altruistic intent for your customers - as your post clearly implies - then having us do this legwork for you belies that fact.

Really, Eric, it seems that although the intent of the policy was smart (and I do in fact support it), the execution of that policy makes me feel more like an unauthorized user and an outlaw of sorts. It's an ironic and perhaps unintended result of how you are implementing this change, and I would think you would find that - at least from a business aspect - very disturbing.

lee
post #24 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson
Update to All,

Over the past few days everyone here at URC has read these posts assiduously. We agree that to some consumers, contacting their authorized dealer has proven difficult. To ease this transition, we are temporarily adding a Serial Number Validation process to our website. For a limited time, this will allow those of you with original serial numbers (traceable products) to register your purchase with us and download the July 31, 2006 version of the software for the remote you purchased. This software will not support Live Updates, however it will allow you to program the remote you own with the latest software available.

Software available from your authorized dealer will support live updates. As always, if anyone is interested in purchasing one of our remotes, you will get honest advice and support from our authorized dealers.

There has been a lot of speculation in this forum that the reason we have made this move is solely to protect an imaginary pricing structure. Our authorized dealers set their prices without our influence. We only want to ensure that our products perform correctly.

Unauthorized dealers never attend our trainings, never have any official communication with our company. We have had product recalls in the past, no unauthorized dealer would ever be able to communicate a recall to you, the consumer. In addition, unauthorized dealers who remove serial numbers are in violation of many states consumer protection laws.

The new validation process will not be active until the evening of Monday August 7, 2006.

Best Regards,

-Eric

Eric Johnson
VP of Technology Universal Remote Control, Inc. Technical Support: 1-800-901-0800 Direct Line to Eric: 1-800-247-7001

Mr. Johnson,

You are offering us a crumb?

You and your company are going to provide us with honest advice? Why does this not make me feel warm and fuzzy? I purchased my remote from an authorized dealer. I am hoping to hear back from him that I will get the new software for my MX-800 that I purchased a couple of years ago.

Why are you requiring me to do the leg work on a product that you changed the rules on in mid stream?

I just wanted to let you know that I will NEVER purchase another product that is associated with your company and of course I will NOT recommend your company to anyone else.

Now, I am certain that this makes very little difference to you or your company since your tactics are less than customer focused.

You and your company will not hold me hostage

Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GndPrx
You sir need to go to the blackboard and write "I am a pompous a$$ who could care less about anyone outside of my world unless they are greasing my palms" about 1000 times until you learn to have a little respect for a consumer who may just not know any better becuase URC does a piss poor job of vendor control or printing this information on their packaging.

Thank you and have a nice day :)
Thank you.....another person putting words in my mouth. Gotta love it.

Who is responsible for making sure you buy your remote at a proper authorized dealer? Well, sadly, you are, because the unauthorized dealer are surely not going to inform you. URC would love to, but as explained, it is difficult sometimes to control where products end up. Unless they hand deliver each remote to each dealer or customer, there are going to be people who whore them out on the internet with no warranty, and no concern for the customer after the sale. URC isnt responsible for the consumer being informed of policy and distribution regulations. And if you look at their website, it states their policies clearly. You dont see warnings on the boxes of any other electronic gear do you? I agree....maybe a "surgeon generals" type warning should be on everything so people are aware that they are taking a risk.

So in the end, today's consumer needs to be mindful enough to research before they buy. Especially on the internet, because there is so much garbage out there, that filtering the legit, from the non-legit can be difficult for some people. Its unfortunate that this is the only way to be "safe" when shopping for such things, but thats how it is.

I think the serial number validation method could work....but maybe if URC did give those who have valid serials the updatable software, it might make this transition period a bit easier to bear for some.

But ultimately, this will not effect the sales of the remotes, nor the CIs (like myself) who program them. We sell a ton of the remotes, and I have only had 1 client that wanted to "tweak" it himself, and he is smart enough to do it....and he hasnt called for help since. But the other 99.9% of the clients I have done remotes for are completely satisfied and will continue to be.

The only people who this will effect will be the ones who purchased from unauthorized dealers. And I still have faith that a person who calls URC and politely explains their situation (like the one mentioned above), will likely be accommodated.
post #26 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 187
As a CI, your comments are pretty much irrelevant, as they're biased in favour for yourself due to monetary gains.

Myself, as a end user and consumer have more relevent opinion.

The same thing has happened to Marantz, Arcam, Klipsch and Kef speakers. It's all about people like you and the distros keeping prices articially high. If all shops are retail price there is no competition. But then I guess you're happy, as you can rip people off as much as you like, you don't need to bother with giving discount for a HT system as other shops wouldn't.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #27 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I dont understand the negativity of this action.

I see this as a big step in trying to eliminate unauthorized dealers selling the product at mush less than MSRP...sometimes less than dealer cost.
You are right. Consumers should never be able to buy products for less than MSRP. The very idea! What is this, the capitalistic, free market United States? :rolleyes:

The actions of URC (especially the insulting press release) and the installers defending them make my complaints about Logitech/Harmony seem insignificant by comparison. Glad I never invested in one of these remotes!

Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #28 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.....another person putting words in my mouth. Gotta love it.
Oh this ought to be good...please tell me how I put words in your mouth by quoting your exact post above?

Frankly, what you are saying is biased and insulting and I'm simply calling you on it.

If people keep calling you on your posts, then maybe you should read them from our side of the keyboard ;)

-------------------------------------
He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any one I know. - Abraham Lincoln
post #29 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 PM

Your comment on what I need to write sentences about is what I was referring too....if you can find your quote in my post, I will concede.

People can "call me" on whatever they want. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion and expression. Whether someone is bent out of shape because they bought their remote at an unauthorized online outlet, bragged about how cheap they got it for, got the perk of free software from URC to program (or attempt to) it, and now because URC is enforcing, more strictly, their dealer protection, they somehow feel cheated....OR, someone who can sit and laugh at this and then go back to watching the X Games using their URC remote, comforted by the fact that they wisely bought their remote from an authorized dealer (whether they paid to have them program it or not), and have uninterrupted access to software updates and technical support.

You only see the former voicing their opinion obviously. Which is a very very very small amount of URC "Custom Professional" customers, most of which will be unaffected by this business decision, if they even are aware it happened. I am sure URC will sorely miss the patronage of the people who vow to return, sell, give away, or destroy their products, and never to purchase them again, and tell all their friends.....oh...wait....no they wont miss them.

I know this is like preaching war to the anti-war crowd, but its my opinion. And like in war, civilian death is imminent, in this case, there is bound to be some "civilian deaths"....i.e, those who "unknowingly" bought their remotes at unauthorized dealers or were given them as gifts...yada yada yada.....thats how the cookies crumble. I feel some sympathy for those likely rare cases, but overall, I am sure this will be a move forward for URC. But only time will tell, and I am sure they calculated the risks into their decisions.
post #30 of 188 Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Does this software create a project file that is loaded to the remote or does it configure the remote on the fly with the config file residing on the remote itself?

If it's just a file it's probablly fairly easy to reverse engineer another software tool to support the format and simply bypass UMC's software.

If it's configured through a connection with a computer thats even easier. All you have to do is sniff out the transmissions between the two devices.

Maybe I'll pick one up just to dissect it. =)
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page