Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1504 Old 01-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c View Post

What are your main reasons for updating? Is it simply the cool factor or do you see any improved operation? I am a bit concerned about how easy it is to change channels, etc. without the hard buttons. It will drive me crazy if it takes twice as long to find and execute the major functions such as mute, pause, FF, rewind, skip, etc.

I also spent time on the phone with smarthomeusa.com today at lunch and they suggested to wait until mid February when Leviton comes out with their entire linup of Z-wave dimmers. They are supposed to be about $75 and have a lot of the normal Leviton features such as LED on the sides and remember previous setting etc. Mid February meets my construction schedule and if they are late, I will put in dummy units until they are released.

Mainly because the people that use it are people that are really not technology-friendly, and the most basic controls are the best ones. Also, they're 60+, so the touchscreen should be much easier to see then the 890. On top of that, it's just cool .

Hopefully it'll be pretty easy to control after a small learning curve? I can't see it being too bad, as touchscreen remotes are considered to be the "best" in terms of ease of use. I can't see the Harmony being any different.

Thanks for the Leviton update. Does Leviton make Z-Wave dimmers now, and what's different about these new models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1504 Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM

I just wanted to say that I really love it, having never owned Harmony before it's hard to tell how much of an upgrade it really is. I can say that it's hard for me to imagine a remote control working any better. It is different, and needs tweaking so maybe not all will love, but for pure functionality it controls my 12 devices extremely well, but I have nothing exotic. My advice is this: If you can afford it and have a need buy it, if you can afford it and only have slight need or want, buy it from easy retirn store. If money is tight, then use your instincts.

It's all about 1080P/24 & HD audio
Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #183 of 1504 Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral View Post

Mainly because the people that use it are people that are really not technology-friendly, and the most basic controls are the best ones. Also, they're 60+, so the touchscreen should be much easier to see then the 890. On top of that, it's just cool .

Hopefully it'll be pretty easy to control after a small learning curve? I can't see it being too bad, as touchscreen remotes are considered to be the "best" in terms of ease of use. I can't see the Harmony being any different.

Thanks for the Leviton update. Does Leviton make Z-Wave dimmers now, and what's different about these new models?

Leviton makes the dimmers for the AVL-300 unit from Monster Cable that they rebrand under Monster for $130 each. They only have released a wall plug in unit at this time. Their full line up releases in mid February supossedly as you know that product releases tend to slip behind schedule so we will see.

I would sell out all harmony users as technophobes. I switched from a Home Theater Master MX500 after I was sick of spending more time doing macros than using the system after upgrading to new units all the time (ie new Directv DVR, new Yamaha reciever, new TV etc.) There are not many things that I can not do with the 880, although the power user setup items are far too hidden in the software.
post #184 of 1504 Old 01-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordong11 View Post

I just wanted to say that I really love it, having never owned Harmony before it's hard to tell how much of an upgrade it really is. I can say that it's hard for me to imagine a remote control working any better. It is different, and needs tweaking so maybe not all will love, but for pure functionality it controls my 12 devices extremely well, but I have nothing exotic. My advice is this: If you can afford it and have a need buy it, if you can afford it and only have slight need or want, buy it from easy retirn store. If money is tight, then use your instincts.

Yes, the activity based programming with state memory of the harmony remotes is pretty nice. Most if not all of the features you mentioned are already available in the 890, so I will have to wait for somebody who upgraded from an 880 or 890 to get their detailed impressions. It is nice to hear that surfing is not that hard on the unit though. I am going to have to buy a fully capable RF remote with Z-wave technology for my Home Theater project in my basement, so I will spending a $200 - $400 anyway. As far as I can tell my only real choices at this point are the 890, 1000 or Monster Cable AVL-300.
post #185 of 1504 Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So anyone think it would be worth the $500 bucks to upgrade to the MX-3000 IR/RF Color Touchscreen Remote, over the Harmony 1000?

Thanks
post #186 of 1504 Old 01-29-2007, 08:43 PM

pricegrabber.com has mx3000 remote under $600. who knows thopugh.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #187 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordong11 View Post

pricegrabber.com has mx3000 remote under $600. who knows thopugh.

Yeah, but you should read some of the posts from those of us who bought a URC product at a discount. URC is a sleazy company, I'd stay away from their products.

Plus, the MX-3000 has got to be one of the tackiest designs for a remote anyone (well, apart from some of the new Monsters:-) ever dreamed up. It would stick out like a sore thumb in any half-way stylish house.
post #188 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Not to defend URC but what they are trying to do is control the integrity of the brand and to prevent unauthorized sellers from undermining their MSRP like Denon does with their receivers. URC has said that they will not release updates to software for programming unless the remote was purchased at an authorized dealer, yeah it sucks for those of you who want to program a MX-3000 but I have neither the time, expertise, or patience to program one myself. I have been quoted $400 to program one in addition to the $999 price
this is why the Harmony 1000 looks atractive to me.
post #189 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 AM

I can not get the Harmony 1000 to communicate with a PPC iMac. I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support yesterday with no luck. I used my PC laptop to finally configure and get it working with my home theater with the RF extender and I love this set up. The 1000 work flawlessly with my theater. I have a Samsung LNS4696D LCD TV, a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi receiver, a Motorola HD Comcast box, a Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc player, a Sony HDPS501P DVD player, a Sony SDP-E800 surround processor, and a Tivo DVR. Everything is being controlled with the RF extender because all of the components are behind doors in my cabinet. I will try to set this up using an Intel Mac and see if it works with it. No go on a PPC iMac, 1.8GHZ, 1.25GB ram, OSX 10.4.7.
Samsung LNS4696D LCD TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi receiver, Motorola DTV-5100 HD Comcast box, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc player, Sony HDPS501P DVD player, Sony SDP-E800 surround processor, Tivo DVR
post #190 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 AM

On setting up the unit, it took me about 4 hours total to get it working counting the hour I spent to no avail using my mac. So 3 hours in total setting it up and tweaking it to do everything I wanted. I will probably spend another couple of hours fine tuning and really customizing everything when I get a chance this weekend. I have it controlling everything fine and all functions working now, I just want to personalize more.
post #191 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPro5GB View Post

On setting up the unit, it took me about 4 hours total to get it working counting the hour I spent to no avail using my mac. So 3 hours in total setting it up and tweaking it to do everything I wanted. I will probably spend another couple of hours fine tuning and really customizing everything when I get a chance this weekend. I have it controlling everything fine and all functions working now, I just want to personalize more.

So cool. Only with the 1000 can one spend 3 hours setting it up, and still not be totally customized. I think that speaks to the flexibility of the unit. let us know your thoughts once finished.

I did my setup differently. spent about 1 hour initially, got accustomed to to using it, then decided what customizations i wanted. in total i spend about 2 hours...but i have a few more i need to do. I just love it, more and more everyday.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #192 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Not to defend URC but what they are trying to do is control the integrity of the brand and to prevent unauthorized sellers from undermining their MSRP like Denon does with their receivers. URC has said that they will not release updates to software for programming unless the remote was purchased at an authorized dealer, yeah it sucks for those of you who want to program a MX-3000 but I have neither the time, expertise, or patience to program one myself. I have been quoted $400 to program one in addition to the $999 price
this is why the Harmony 1000 looks atractive to me.

URC and the "dealers" that support this move can get bent. It was bad enough when they cut off updates, but to flood many forums with fake "support" of their decision was just tacky.

I sold my URC remote's (had two) and will not buy another one of their products. I will get up, walk across the room (oh, the horror!), and change the channel manually before they see another dime of my money. That's even if they revert this incredibly stupid decision.

Extreme or not, I am even limiting the shopping of my new Sony 1080p projector to non-URC dealers.

-Shawn

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
post #193 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM

The Harmony 1000 seems like the way to go, for ease, price and on-par capability, seems to be a better solution. Unless there is a specific need that the 1000 can't handle. Plus Logitech is doing its firmware job well....I already have had 2 firmware updates!

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #194 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM

It sounds like a few of you already have the 1000. I'm seriously considering it, along with an extender, but I really want to review the complete user manual first before I spring for that many bucks.

The 1000 is the only HT all-in-one remote that the boss (my wife) will even consider. (she is intimidated by too many buttons, but also with too many remotes kicking around on our table now.

Harmony Remote Sales tells me the 1000 manual is on the Installation Disc, which means I would have to buy it first; so I called their tech support, but nobody there can help as they haven't seen the user manual and really know almost nothing about the 1000 - well, at least not yet.

I've been able to download a user manual for their 890 from their website, but the only thing there now for the 1000 is the two page "quick start guide" that comes packed with the unit.

Does anyone have a digital copy they could somehow share with me, say as an attachment to an email? If so, please let me know, perhaps in a PM, and I'll share my email address back the same way.

I hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks.

Bob VH
post #195 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Well, I have had my mx-3000 for about 15 months and I got it to work just enough to control most of my equipment, and that took me about a week of going back and forth from pc to theater. I got my 880 2 months after getting my mx and have used nothing else since. I just received my 1000 today and I will be putting it through its paces to make sure there is nothing im missing. The mx-3000 is a great remote if you have the time to really understand and program it. I understand urc position, but they should have grandfathered in anyone who had already owned one. Just my 2 cents

steve
post #196 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by househusband36 View Post

I understand urc position, but they should have grandfathered in anyone who had already owned one. Just my 2 cents

steve

Yes, i'll agree with you there. In my earlier post I wasn't trying to defend URC but to try to make sense of it. I did not have a dog in the fight so to speak. It is telling that you ditched the 3000 after your 880 came in and are moving on to the 1000. I'll let you early-early adapters iron out the bugs (if any!) but when I jump, it will be to the 1000.
post #197 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't think their is a manual. I think gordonng11 mentioned that awhile back in the thread.
post #198 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by househusband36 View Post

Well, I have had my mx-3000 for about 15 months and I got it to work just enough to control most of my equipment, and that took me about a week of going back and forth from pc to theater. I got my 880 2 months after getting my mx and have used nothing else since. I just received my 1000 today and I will be putting it through its paces to make sure there is nothing im missing. The mx-3000 is a great remote if you have the time to really understand and program it. I understand urc position, but they should have grandfathered in anyone who had already owned one. Just my 2 cents

steve

Househusband36,

You are just the guy I need to talk to. I currently have an 880 as well, but need to move to RF. I would really appreciate your comments about ease of use, programming and features compared to the 880. Most of the guys here are using a Harmony for the first time, so they have no previous Harmony experience. Also I hope you get a chance to play with the Z-wave capability if you have any dimmers now. I look forward to your impressions.
post #199 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

gordong11 - Can you confirm if this remote has learning capabilities? thx...

Daniel
post #200 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmai View Post

gordong11 - Can you confirm if this remote has learning capabilities? thx...

Yes it does. If the software does not recognize the model, it asks you to point the manufacterers remote at it. Then f still is a problem is recommends alternative models.
Is this what you mean?

Also, mine Did NOT ship with auser manual, only getting started instruction pamphlet. Let's go pamphleteering!

Sorry I got stuck at work till 8pm.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #201 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Found another cool feature, not sure if other Harmony's do, perhaps you all can answer?

I was having an issue with my XA2, not turning on when pressing DVD activity. BUT you can actually edit the duration of the signal(in ms) from the 1000, now I have no issues. That is very cool!

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #202 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM
pdn

Yeah, I think you can edit not only the intra-device signal duration but also inter-device. Features like this that makes you keep tweaking to get rid of that last ms delay to speed up the activity actions.

I'm also interested in the opinions of previous Harmony owners on the 1000, particularly on the Z-Wave intergration and control.
post #203 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c View Post

Househusband36,

You are just the guy I need to talk to. I currently have an 880 as well, but need to move to RF. I would really appreciate your comments about ease of use, programming and features compared to the 880. Most of the guys here are using a Harmony for the first time, so they have no previous Harmony experience. Also I hope you get a chance to play with the Z-wave capability if you have any dimmers now. I look forward to your impressions.

Just set it up tonight and tested it once. I am going to sell my 880 so i just overidden in the options. easy enough, it would have been a pain to start from scrach. but doable. I played with it for about 10 mins, in that time it was very easy to use since it is well laid out and just enough hard butons to make things easier. Cant speak to RF dont have it but it seem it would be an easy upgrade. also the manual is in the software program. once you set it up you click on more help and then manuals its right there

steve
post #204 of 1504 Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Well, i have been playing around with mine on and off today trying to set it up. I have to agree with everything Gordan has said, the remote is definetly awesome.

I have never had a Harmony remote before but this one is great. It does take some time to set up and tweak it to your liking but it's so easy to do. I have not looked at the manual once yet. You can pretty much customize everything on the remote. I like how you can put your own pictures and put them as the background image, a very cool feature.

Overall i thinks it really is a great remote.
post #205 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Could the manual be sent via email then? Any chance someone who already has it could pm me and send it my way if it is possible? I've got mine on order but would love to read up on it before hand.
post #206 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Yes, i'll agree with you there. In my earlier post I wasn't trying to defend URC but to try to make sense of it. I did not have a dog in the fight so to speak. It is telling that you ditched the 3000 after your 880 came in and are moving on to the 1000. I'll let you early-early adapters iron out the bugs (if any!) but when I jump, it will be to the 1000.

Sorry, that really was not a rant at you...just repressed anger over URC's idiotic tactics slipping out. Combined with DVDO's lack of addressing thier VP issues, it's getting hard to enjoy my own home theater right now.

I, too, tried to justify their (URC) initial move. But after recently seeing IP addresses and sources of multiple posts (coming from the same few posters registered under multiple names) at other forums, I have decided that URC is acting out of greed and not concern for thier "image" or dealers. If you need to "lie" to justify your own decisions concerning your own product- well, something is fundementally wrong.

I have a feeling (although retail branding is far from my area of expertise) that this move will end up being a proverbial shot in the foot that will ultimately be reversed. However, I think the damage has already be done in most peoples minds.

/end rant, tangent, and thread hijack

-Shawn

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
post #207 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the 880 model and thinking of moving it upstairs and getting the 1000 for my theater room. Only thing that bothers me is that you have to buy the rf adapter sepertaly. that kind of makes me upset since the 890 comes with it.

Whats up with that.
post #208 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:07 AM

My wife used the 1000 yesterday for the first time and loves it. She hates the Comcast guide so she uses the Tivo set up. I use the Comcast set up since my Tivo is not HD. I set up "watch TV" and "Tivo". She also loves the one button push to set up everything to play her exercise DVDs. I also set up TV only so my sound system is not on, just the TV and internal sound. I have an analog audio laserdisc setting, and a digital audio laserdisc setting. This remote is awesome. It does take time to tweak it to your exact liking though but I am glad I can get the level of tweaking they allow. I will spend way to much time with this thing personalizing it but that is what I like to do.
post #209 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know where I can get one of these in Southern California, I am off from work for the day, and would like to play!
post #210 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

How about some pics?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 1000 Advanced Universal Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version