post #211 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershawn View Post

Sorry, that really was not a rant at you...just repressed anger over URC's idiotic tactics slipping out. Combined with DVDO's lack of addressing thier VP issues, it's getting hard to enjoy my own home theater right now.

I, too, tried to justify their (URC) initial move. But after recently seeing IP addresses and sources of multiple posts (coming from the same few posters registered under multiple names) at other forums, I have decided that URC is acting out of greed and not concern for thier "image" or dealers. If you need to "lie" to justify your own decisions concerning your own product- well, something is fundementally wrong.

I have a feeling (although retail branding is far from my area of expertise) that this move will end up being a proverbial shot in the foot that will ultimately be reversed. However, I think the damage has already be done in most peoples minds.

/end rant, tangent, and thread hijack

Hey no problem, I wasn't aware of their practices but I think that every time Harmony makes a leap in technology and innovation such as with the 880, 890, and now the 1000 and that one can get 80% of the functionality of one of the URC remotes, the writing may be on the wall for their business practices or even their business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by househusband36 View Post

Just set it up tonight and tested it once. I am going to sell my 880 so i just overidden in the options. easy enough, it would have been a pain to start from scrach. but doable. I played with it for about 10 mins, in that time it was very easy to use since it is well laid out and just enough hard butons to make things easier. Cant speak to RF dont have it but it seem it would be an easy upgrade. also the manual is in the software program. once you set it up you click on more help and then manuals its right there

steve

Thanks, I've been looking for that! but in all honesty, like 12 pages is not enough, its really just an overview. For instance, it does not tell you how to change the signal time, and lots of other features.

It's all about 1080P/24 & HD audio
Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #213 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post

Could the manual be sent via email then? Any chance someone who already has it could pm me and send it my way if it is possible? I've got mine on order but would love to read up on it before hand.

PM me your email if you want the user manual......please only if you truly plan on buying one. I can't send out too many, too much time to uoload PDF file. they will be sent after 8pm EST.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #214 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 02:10 PM

i've received mine finally. was able to get it for $450 from amazon a few days ago. they also had a $75 rebate on the extended RF so it ended up only being $37 for that... pretty great deal but looks like they took it down already

this review may sound negative, but thats probably because i already had the 880 so the basic features of a harmony i was already used to

a negative i've noticed already is when swapping from play/pause menu to favorites or number menu there is about a second delay, its a little annoying as you think you didnt push the button. probably not a problem once you get used to it.

i cant seem to find anyway to add pages to the play/pause menu of my scientific atlantic 8300 HD. it looks like you can add more pages to the favorites section though. you can't change the text of the "hard wired" buttons for example on the play/pause page there is a guide, menu, etc buttons on the right. but you cannot change the names of those at all. the menu button does not even make sense as it just opens up the guide same as the guide button. instead menu should be list. so its frusterating you cant change simple things like that.

i also wish they'd allow at least a few custom buttons on the play/pause page for example. its obviously the main page you'll leave up on the remote, yet you'd have to go to the favorites button to do some basic tasks.

nintendo wii, playstation 3 cannot be operated of course since they are bluetooth controlled. most already know but just in case. it seems the xbox 360 is no problem to control.

i cant find anywhere in the harmony remote software to add a zwave device, which concerns me as a big selling point of the remote for me was zwave control. just sounds great.... but i cant find anywhere to add a zwave device, etc. might call logitech suppot about it, but i'm guessing that perhaps the remote is not updated for zwave just yet. which is very stupid considering it says on the box it can control lightning via zwave.

anyways, just one persons review. the remote is very cool of course and looks great my main complaint is having to figit to another menu to control basic settings as they did not provide any space for custom controls on the default page. which is something you can do on the earlier versions such as the 880 by using the buttons in the customizeable display. and of course the lack of zwave as far as i can tell (though i could just be missing it somehow)

but the remote looks very sleek, well made and has good weight.software and all is easy to use.

will post more info as i check it out more
post #215 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciner View Post

i cant seem to find anyway to add pages to the play/pause menu of my scientific atlantic 8300 HD. it looks like you can add more pages to the favorites section though. you can't change the text of the "hard wired" buttons for example on the play/pause page there is a guide, menu, etc buttons on the right. but you cannot change the names of those at all. the menu button does not even make sense as it just opens up the guide same as the guide button. instead menu should be list. so its frusterating you cant change simple things like that.

I have an 8300 HD also and was trying to do the same thing you are. What i ended up doing was changing the "menu" button to the DVR list. Even though it says menu on the remote when i press it the DVR List comes up.
post #216 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 PM

i was able to see how you'd add a device for lighting control. guess just need to play around in that area for controlling it. it seems pretty cool though. but i believe zwave control is also on the 890, so if you have that already not sure if the upgrade is worth it
post #217 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridell View Post

I have an 8300 HD also and was trying to do the same thing you are. What i ended up doing was changing the "menu" button to the DVR list. Even though it says menu on the remote when i press it the DVR List comes up.

i did the exact same thing lol. there is no point for menu opening up the guide also, so might as well code it for list
post #218 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM

My 1000 arrived today. Fresh from Ebay (in a BestBuy box). My pre-order (since October) still said backordered so I went elsewhere.

Can't wait to dig in tonight and get it set up (great excuse to not get the tax stuff together for the accountant). I'll post a review of the process as well as what I think of the product. So far, the form factor is actually quite pleasant and the wife even gave it a thumbs up (on looks).

-Shawn

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
post #219 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

I got my 1000 yesterday and can confirm one thing that it does work with my zwave lighting system. Very easy to add. I will play more, once the kids are off to bed.
post #220 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordong11 View Post

...I was having an issue with my XA2, not turning on when pressing DVD activity. BUT you can actually edit the duration of the signal (in ms) from the 1000, now I have no issues...

I am having the same issue with my SONY DVP-NC85H 5-Disc DVD/CD Player.

Would you share how to edit the duration of the signal from the 1000 -- perhaps that will fix?

Thanks!
post #221 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is Lutron's "spacer system" lighting controls listed as an available component?
Does it have the four (4) scene buttons as well the other remote control features on the Lutron remote?
post #222 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver View Post

Would you share how to edit the duration of the signal from the 1000 -- perhaps that will fix?

Thanks!

Devices menu, settings on the device you want to change, then adjust the delays
post #223 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

I got my 1000 yesterday and can confirm one thing that it does work with my zwave lighting system. Very easy to add. I will play more, once the kids are off to bed.

m1fuller68, would love any information and reviews on zwave performance! i think lots here would... also what zwave lightning switch are you using?
post #224 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver View Post

Thanks!

OK, what you need is Press troubleshoot at the top, pick the device. then "responding too slowly. I think that does it.

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #225 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

For those with the Harmony 1000, can you check compatibility for:

The monoprice 3 HDMI switcher. In the setup (of the demo) it does list the Monoprice 5 x1 but not the 3 x1.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Does the Harmony 1000 automatically detect the HDMI input? I selected the 5 x1 switcher anyway (as it's a demo right) but it never showed up on any of the lists for setup.

Also is PVR the same as DVR? I choose the same model (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) for both cable set top box and PVR. Then when the demo ran each group of settings it showed only the PVR, not the set top box.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #226 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simple, and works beautifly with DVR functions.

So for a cable box with DVR you just set up the Harmony 1000 for the cable box not the PVR correct? And you prefer that and use the manual functions on the remote?

I'm wondering how far the remote signal travels when bouncing off a projector's screen.
As an example, I have the remote for Toshiba's HD-DVD A-1. Point it at the screen and the signal bounces back across the room to the unit. Try it with the remote for the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) and it doesn't reach.

Will the Harmony 1000 be able to reach the cable box?

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #227 of 1504 Old 01-31-2007, 11:28 PM

anyone had any success at remaping the replay hard button on the remote? trying to make it into a simple play button as i find it very difficult to fast forward properly without being able to press play with a hard button. this is for the scientific atlantic explorer 8300 HD. dont know why they didnt at least put hard buttons for fastforward, rewind, play. big weakness - fastforwarding and then playing at just the right second with a touchscreen is not very easy.

if i go into devices, PVR and edit buttons for some reason it makes the "hard" reply perform the "last" function instead of a simple "play". seems like it could be a bug with the software? dont know why there isnt a simple map of the "hard" buttons so you can customize them easily.
post #228 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if i go into devices, PVR and edit buttons for some reason it makes the "hard" reply perform the "last" function instead of a simple "play". seems like it could be a bug with the software? dont know why there isnt a simple map of the "hard" buttons so you can customize them easily.

You should be doing your button customizing to the "Watch PVR" ACTIVITY rather than the PVR DEVICE....they are customized independantly of each other.
post #229 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

m1fuller68, would love any information and reviews on zwave performance! i think lots here would... also what zwave lightning switch are you using?

Ciner, Not much time to play with it last night, but a few highlights.

I currently have 5 zwave switches throught out the house

Each had to be setup individually. Very easy

I am now able to turn off, on and dim each light.

Thats about it, I won't have time to work with it unitl the weekend.
post #230 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 AM

I have a 1000 preordered, its currently listed as March 1st in the uk. Can anyone confirm how many background photo's you can add? I have heard you can only upload 2 images! I hope thats not true, I would like to have a photo of each device as the background for each device. I would also like to be able to add photos to buttons, for instance I have 5 remote dimmable lights, I would like to be able to add a photo of each light to each button controlling these lights. Somehow I think that isn't going to be possible which seems a pity with a remote with a screen this nice.

Has anybody tackled Panasonic px60 inputs with the 1000 yet? not looking forward to that!
post #231 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanesq View Post

So for a cable box with DVR you just set up the Harmony 1000 for the cable box not the PVR correct? And you prefer that and use the manual functions on the remote?

I'm wondering how far the remote signal travels when bouncing off a projector's screen.
As an example, I have the remote for Toshiba's HD-DVD A-1. Point it at the screen and the signal bounces back across the room to the unit. Try it with the remote for the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) and it doesn't reach.

Will the Harmony 1000 be able to reach the cable box?

Just the opposite, setup using "PVR Device" not a "cable box".

Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony KDL-40XBR4
Elite VSX-92TXH (w/7.1)
post #232 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

PM me your email if you want the user manual......please only if you truly plan on buying one. I can't send out too many, too much time to uoload PDF file. they will be sent after 8pm EST.

Thanks for the PDF
post #233 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Any issues with the unit charging correctly? That's the one complaint I have about my 880 - doesn't want to charge consistently in the cradle.
post #234 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomachine View Post

Any issues with the unit charging correctly? That's the one complaint I have about my 880 - doesn't want to charge consistently in the cradle.

charges good, no issues like my 880 used to have. sits tightly in bottom of cradle
post #235 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Ciner, Not much time to play with it last night, but a few highlights.

I currently have 5 zwave switches throught out the house

Each had to be setup individually. Very easy

I am now able to turn off, on and dim each light.

Thats about it, I won't have time to work with it unitl the weekend.

m1fuller68, sounds great. was hoping it would be easy. are you intending to try and make an activity that turns off all the lights or whatnot? how do you access them to control as is, under devices on the remote?
post #236 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

You should be doing your button customizing to the "Watch PVR" ACTIVITY rather than the PVR DEVICE....they are customized independantly of each other.

czzer,

i know, i tried first to customize buttons for watch PVR but there is actually no button at all for the "replay" hardbutton that is on the remote. i open up Watch TV's customize buttons and it just has no standard buttons called replay. so how can i customize it there if there is nothing? seems like a flaw in the software. anyone else with an Explorer 8300 HD been able to edit the command for the replay hardbutton on the remote?
post #237 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting caught up on this remote and am I correct that you have to buy the RF extender seperate from the remote itself? So it's initially just IR and you have to pay for the RF feature?
post #238 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I'm getting caught up on this remote and am I correct that you have to buy the RF extender seperate from the remote itself? So it's initially just IR and you have to pay for the RF feature?

Yes, and thats how it should be. I don't want or need the RF extender so I wouldn't want its inclusion to push the price up for me. I'm guessing most people wouldn't actually need one.
post #239 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately for me, my components are in a closet across the hall from the HT - no line of site, so it's either an IR repeater or RF for me. Still priced well, but adding the RF repeater takes it up another notch. Gotta give this some more thought and wait on a few more reviews before deciding on the 1000 vs the 890.
post #240 of 1504 Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately for me, my components are in a closet across the hall from the HT - no line of site, so it's either an IR repeater or RF for me. Still priced well, but adding the RF repeater takes it up another notch. Gotta give this some more thought and wait on a few more reviews before deciding on the 1000 vs the 890.

honestly if price is a big concern i'd go with the 890, cant see any real huge improvements with the 1000. and i think some people will find the touchscreen display a weakness as far as a remote goes as you really have to look to do some tasks instead of just feel. astetically it looks fantastic but its definitly a tradeoff as far as function in my mind in some ways. and since you can get an 890 for about half the price with the extender its hard to say if its worth it really.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 1000 Advanced Universal Remote Silver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page