Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Thanks T-Bone for that link (still good!). Just downloaded it. I have a few installation files around 6MB, the latest version from late 2004. Do you know when this 11MB version was released? I'm not confident that URC would honor my purchase, I bought mine off ebay from a guy whose handle is audiovideoman, paid $170 including $12 shipping. I can just install this 11MB version and I'll be OK? Of course, I'll back everything up first! I'll be able to download codes and stuff? I haven't done that in ages, but I got a new projector and will be buying a new BD player, it would be nice to have some preprogrammed stuff, although I suppose I can create what I need using learning and brainstorming macros. I do love my MX-700.

Sorry, getting to your post late. I cannot recall when I downloaded it. I bought my MX-700 late 2004 from newegg, and they vouched for me at URC so that I could get access to the up-datable software - sometime in 2005/2006 I think. Just install it. It has everything you need. Do a Live Update as soon as its installed.

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that this is an ancient thread, but it appears that this software is no longer supported by URC. Instead it has been supplanted by something called the 'Complete Control Suite', which is supposed to be able to program all products. However the popup states that it is on a 'password protected, dealer only website'. Does anyone know where a copy might be available for end users? I've had my MX700 for years now and don't relish the idea of having to replace it just because the codes aren't available for newer hardware.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Why not just use the learning functionality? I've never gotten much mileage out of downloading codes or other people's control sets. If you have the original remote for a device, learn all the codes into your MX-700, then write a few macros. That's what I've done for the most part. I have no reason to abandon my MX-700. The other day, however, I discovered that one of my devices is not recognizing the commands from my MX-700, don't know what's up with that.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 633
What you need if you want a current database is an updateable version of the mx-700, mx-800, mx-850 Editor or the CCS(Complete Control Suite), The CCS is just a wrapper for a bunch of the original editors.

If you can't get a hold of one of those, a good option is the NX-RM820 editor. It is widely available for download and is the same thing. The IR database is a little out of date(2008-ish) but honestly, most manufacturers don't change their codes very often and you can always learn them from the original remote or use the universal browser to bring in the hex codes if you need discretes not available elsewhere.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do most of you people use your MX-700 with rechargables? I always have and am getting really long life using Eneloops, however the button illumination even in a very dark room isn't great unless the batteries are freshly charged.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM

I didn't see the tail end of this thread before i posted a new topic. But I can tell you the RM820 does work and has more codes than the other editors I found on the web. I just wish i could get the current control suite. My dad had this thing setup with the same equipment for about 8 years or so, and never needed to change it. So the software he had is older than not and not update-able either apparently. but the MX editor still doesn't list blue-ray devices. Or my Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV device. But it is a start. Hopefully URC will come through for me and give the software.

Thanks

Woody
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoanstic View Post

URC will come through for me and give the software.

Thanks

Woody

I'm not trying to burst you bubble of hope. But due their past dealings with such with requests from people, it's highly unlikely that they will.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The radiphare link expired. I placed the file in my Google Docs (AKA Drive) account. As of this moment, the 11 MB file is uploading over a 400 kbit upload connection. Link to folder is here:
- https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6aa_MMwGD0FSVE5VVNnaEdrZWs/edit

-T
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

The radiphare link expired. I placed the file in my Google Docs (AKA Drive) account. As of this moment, the 11 MB file is uploading over a 400 kbit upload connection. Link to folder is here:
- https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6aa_MMwGD0FSVE5VVNnaEdrZWs/edit

-T

I love you man!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 PM

I have a harmony one remote (which I love), but I was researching URC remotes for my home theater since their is uncertainty with what will happen with the harmony line. This thread has ensured I won't touch anything from URC.

I can't believe they refuse to let consumers have the updateable software for their higher end remotes.

I'll just pick up another refurbished harmony one.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
You can get the updateable software, providing you purchase the remote from a authorized dealer that also provides you with the software. There are several authorized dealers that will do this.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 AM

Doesn't look like there are any dealers close to me. I wonder if any of them will let you buy over the phone and ship the software with the remote.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I've heard good things about surfremotecontrol.com.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasburath View Post

I can't believe they refuse to let consumers have the updateable software for their higher end remotes.

I'll just pick up another refurbished harmony one.

There is a learning curve, especially if one has no programming experience, for the CCP software. It would be a disservice to the customer to supply the software under the illusion that everyone would be able to successfully program the remotes. Not to mention the tech support nightmare that would take place. To cover the cost of the additional tech support would require raising the price of the remotes so high that nobody would buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

You can get the updateable software, providing you purchase the remote from a authorized dealer that also provides you with the software. There are several authorized dealers that will do this.

This is the key. Talk to an authorized dealer and confirm that the CCP software will be included in the purchase. Buy from some place like eBay for 1/2 price and you are out of luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

This is the key. Talk to an authorized dealer and confirm that the CCP software will be included in the purchase. Buy from some place like eBay for 1/2 price and you are out of luck.

If you are buying from some place like eBay (or anywhere online) then the best you can do is have the software in hand before clicking the buy-it-now button.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello all.

Well, I'm sure Im the 80,000th person to ask this question or ask help on this matter.

I just bought a URC MX-780 remote from Magnolia. I really just wanted a NON-Logitech remote that can simply control my home theater system. However, I and knew this before I took it home, that the remote needs to be programmed with CCP software. And I believe this software is for PC only, and I have a Mac. (no I'm not DLing Parallels or Windows on my Mac)

Is this the ONLY way to do this? Would it be easier for me to return the remote and get something more simple? I need an RF remote becuase my system is in a cabinet that I'd "like" to keep the doors closed on.

I really don't want to pay a tech $100+ to come out to my house to set up the remote.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!

Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Hello all.

Well, I'm sure Im the 80,000th person to ask this question or ask help on this matter.

I just bought a URC MX-780 remote from Magnolia. I really just wanted a NON-Logitech remote that can simply control my home theater system. However, I and knew this before I took it home, that the remote needs to be programmed with CCP software. And I believe this software is for PC only, and I have a Mac. (no I'm not DLing Parallels or Windows on my Mac)

Is this the ONLY way to do this? Would it be easier for me to return the remote and get something more simple? I need an RF remote becuase my system is in a cabinet that I'd "like" to keep the doors closed on.

I really don't want to pay a tech $100+ to come out to my house to set up the remote.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!

Thanks guys.

You may find more help in the official MX-780 thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484731/official-urc-remote-thread-for-mx-780-mx-890-and-mx-1200

But yes the URC software (CCP) only runs on Windows and if you don't want to set up Parallels or Bootcamp then you're going to either have to pay someone to program your device for you or return it and get something else. You can always get a Logitech Harmony if you want something simpler, but in my opinion the Harmony's have much inferior build quality and they are also not capable of nearly as much as your MX-780 can do.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are the Harmonies likewise less powerful than my MX-700? I hear about the Harmonies all the time in threads, never see people talking about the MX-700.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both are powerful remotes... the MX-700 is superior (actually, most of the URC remotes) because the buttons are large and can pressed in a dark room without taking the eyes off the screen.

-T
Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Both are powerful remotes... the MX-700 is superior (actually, most of the URC remotes) because the buttons are large and can pressed in a dark room without taking the eyes off the screen.

-T
IIRC, two reasons I went with my MX-700 are that the placement of the frequently used navigation buttons (e.g. <<, >>, >, | |, [stop]) are in good accessible locations, and that it's easier to determine which end of the remote is facing which-ever way. IOW, the top of the remote has a fat head like a cobra whereas the Harmony is pretty much the same shape on both ends. In a darkened room this matters.

Myself, I've always been pleased with the MX-700. I don't much care about downloading codes. I did some of that, found it not as helpful as anticipated even when they were available. I just learn codes into the MX-700 using the COM port connection and write whatever macros I want. You can do very powerful things with the macro creation facility. Granted, it's the only universal remote I've used worthy of the designation, but I see no reason to abandon my MX-700. It has occasionally somehow (don't know why) stopped working for a button or two and I have to relearn from the original remote, don't know what's up with that.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Why not just use the learning functionality? I've never gotten much mileage out of downloading codes or other people's control sets. If you have the original remote for a device, learn all the codes into your MX-700, then write a few macros. That's what I've done for the most part. ...
I just got everything set up in my HT and was going to get my MX-700 remote all set up and programmed like my living room MX-500's. Lo and behold I cannot do it as easy. Can someone please help me to understand what I need to get all my other remotes "learned" into this or should I just ditch it and go with another MX-500. I don't mind learning each remote and in fact I like doing that better because I know it's done right. Seems I need:
1. the Serial Cable (ebay I'm guessing).
2. Software ... the one from the beginning of this thread I've downloaded and got it working (it's dated 2002-2005 and does not include codes for a WDTV Live media player).

I can probably find an old computer with a serial port and I'm guessing that will be it.

Thanks for any help in this.

Last edited by miamijoe; 10-29-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The 3rd post in this thread links a detailed review of the MX-700 vs the MX-500, and has a link to the old MX-700 editor software.

I think the remote needs to be connected to the PC in order to learn.

As for the cable, make sure it's a URC cable or a verified URC-compatible cable. The pinouts on generic non-URC cables are often different and the remote won't be recognized by the PC.

I see a wide disparity on e-bay in the serial cables. A URC cable being $28 and generics are $10ish or less. I'd like to do this with my laptop and would rather connect via USB. I'm guessing USB to Serial Adaptor, then the cable to the remote.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamijoe View Post
I just got everything set up in my HT and was going to get my MX-700 remote all set up and programmed like my living room MX-500's. Lo and behold I cannot do it as easy. Can someone please help me to understand what I need to get all my other remotes "learned" into this or should I just ditch it and go with another MX-500. I don't mind learning each remote and in fact I like doing that better because I know it's done right. Seems I need:
1. the Serial Cable (ebay I'm guessing).
2. Software of some type? If I'm learning button by button, does the software have to be completely up to date?
The 3rd post in this thread links a detailed review of the MX-700 vs the MX-500, which also has a link to the old MX-700 Editor software and the MX Editor Programming Manual.

I think the remote needs to be connected to the PC in order to learn.

As for the cable, make sure it's a URC cable or a verified URC-compatible cable. The pinouts on generic non-URC cables are often different and the remote won't be recognized by the PC.

Oops, i accidentally deleted my post instead of editing it so now it's out of order LOL

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 10-29-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: accidentally deleted my post instead of editing it so it's out of order
Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamijoe View Post
I see a wide disparity on e-bay in the serial cables. A URC cable being $28 and generics are $10ish or less. I'd like to do this with my laptop and would rather connect via USB. I'm guessing USB to Serial Adaptor, then the cable to the remote.
I've seen detailed discussions about the Serial Cable-to-USB adapter topic, and also detailed discussion about the pinouts on the cable so the info is out there somewhere, i just don't remember if i saw it here on AVS or on Remote Central. Google around and search RemoteCentral.com and AVS and you should be able to find it.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 10-29-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still love my MX-700. I have found, however, that once in a great while one of the learned codes does not work and I have to relearn it from the original remote. This happened to me around a month ago. I took my serial connector to one of my laptops, not the PC I usually use when learning to the MX-700 because that box was down at the time. The laptop didn't have a serial connector but it's attached to a minidock (Lenovo) that does. I installed the MX-700 software and also the alternate software gotten here: http://www.bkcomp.com/products/acces...ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=80&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=18&cHash=56efd2d960

Both softwares seem to work.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
You can teach directly to the mx-700, but if you don't want those learns wipe clean the next time you use the software, you would need to upload from the remote, save and than download back to remote. And of course you can't edit the keys to match the learns directly on the remote.

So to learn, press and hold MAIN & ENT for a good long time until the menu options appear, there are only two, Learn & Fav. Pick a device, and than a key, teach.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
You can teach directly to the mx-700, but if you don't want those learns wipe clean the next time you use the software, you would need to upload from the remote, save and than download back to remote. And of course you can't edit the keys to match the learns directly on the remote.

So to learn, press and hold MAIN & ENT for a good long time until the menu options appear, there are only two, Learn & Fav. Pick a device, and than a key, teach.
Hmm. I don't comprehend what you're talking about here. I'll have to open the software and see if I can figure it out. I always thought that once learned and saved, when you open your saved application all the learned codes are retained. In general I've had no problem with the remote remembering all the previously learned and saved IR codes. There are two components in getting those into the software. One is getting the software and remote synched into a "LEARN" mode for a particular key for a remote, blasting the MX-700's receptor/transmitter (the red thing on the end) with the signal from the original remote you are learning from, then pressing the SAVE button in the software (that's the first phase). The second phase is saving your application before exiting. Of course, at any time you can DOWNLOAD everything in the application to your MX-700 after making all your changes/LEARNs/macros/whatever. When doing so you have two choices -- one is just learned stuff IIRC, the other includes new macros along with learned stuff.

How does my description not consider your explanation? I don't understand the reconciliation.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was referring to teaching the remote directly without the software or the remote connected to the computer. Just remote to remote. If later you want to keep the commands the computer has no idea of, you have sync with the computer. But its best to use the software to teach, lets leave it at that.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
I was referring to teaching the remote directly without the software or the remote connected to the computer. Just remote to remote. If later you want to keep the commands the computer has no idea of, you have sync with the computer. But its best to use the software to teach, lets leave it at that.
Oh! I didn't know that was possible. How did you learn that?

I could use that right now, it turns out. Last night I watched a movie and the subtitles button on my MX-700 for my BR player wasn't functioning. I'd prefer to relearn the software but a quick fix would be to do as you indicate, evidently.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been playing with universal remotes for decades, there's little I miss about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Remotes And Controllers