MX-700 software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 199 Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an MX-700 that I haven't reprogrammed in a long time (since I got my new computer anyway). I've recently acquired a new TV and DVD player and need to update the programming.

I've been on the manufacturer's website, and while I can find some editor software for some remotes, I can't seem to find any for mine. Anyone have the software downloaded, or know where I can? Many thanks in advance.

Jeff

Just my 1.4 cents (after taxes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 Old 11-12-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.r.k.i.v.e.r View Post

I have an MX-700 that I haven't reprogrammed in a long time (since I got my new computer anyway). I've recently acquired a new TV and DVD player and need to update the programming.

I've been on the manufacturer's website, and while I can find some editor software for some remotes, I can't seem to find any for mine. Anyone have the software downloaded, or know where I can? Many thanks in advance.

Jeff

I'll tell you where to get a copy in my next post(I am new here and to post a link I need 5 posts).

- Tony
post #3 of 199 Old 11-12-2006, 05:16 AM

This guy has an older copy for download.
Here's the link:
http://www.prillaman.net/mx700_review.html
I also read that if you register you are allowed to download the latest by registering here(make sure you list an authorized dealer as your place of purchase):
http://www.universalremote.com/pro/registration.php
Just use their site to find an authorized dealer near you.
Good luck.

- Tony
post #4 of 199 Old 11-13-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for that. I was able to get the slightly older software working and got 95% of the programming that I wanted done (minus the discrete change to input 5 on my new TV). I'm working with URC to try and get the latest software that actually can be updated vis the web. We'll see how that goes :P

Just my 1.4 cents (after taxes)
post #5 of 199 Old 11-19-2006, 02:27 PM

I'm having the same problem for my MX-800. I tried going to the link provided, but when I enter all my info and hit submit, it says "Serial number not valid for MX-800". Any idea how I can get the software?

I just got a new receiver, and desperately need to reprogram the remote. I rely on the RF functionality, as my A/V equipment isn't in my line of sight to be able to use IR. So currently, it's a little annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help!
post #6 of 199 Old 11-19-2006, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
At the beginning of August, URC made a "policy change" about the downloading of their MX-Editor software. They removed it from their site and eventually offered the link above. That link does work because I downloaded from it today. HOWEVER (and it is a BIG however)....

The version you download from the link Tony posted is NOT a fully functional version. That "consumer" version has Live Updates turned OFF. That software does not allow you to pull down the very latest IR codes from URC.

The ONLY way to get the fully functional (Live Update) version of the software is from an AUTHORIZED retailer that sold you the remote. As best I can tell, URC will not send it to you unless you can prove you bought the remote from an AUTHORIZED retailer.

Those of us that purchased our PC-programmable URC remotes from non-authorized sources like Amazon or eBay can only get the software that was up-to-date as of July 31. Any new IR codes added to URC's database since July 31 are not available to us.

And, yes, URC is applying this retroactively. The software we loaded PRIOR to July 31, which is the very same software we previously used for Live Updates, has had the Live Update feature turned effectively turned off. URC's site refuses to update those software versions.

The ridiculous part about this retroactive business is that URC got their money from me no matter WHERE I purchased the remote. They sold the remote to a custom installer or VAR and then the CI or VAR turned around and sold it to Amazon. URC probably forced the VAR to buy more than he needed or could sell so he just sold them off at cost to reduce inventory costs. So, regardless where I purchased the remote, URC got their asking price from the CI or VAR. Their gripe is with the CI or VAR. Yet, they have chosen to punish the consumer.

And, to be real clear... I'm not talking about a warranty issue. This is very different than the company refusing to honor a warranty on an item purchased from a non-authorized dealer. While I still think that stinks, it is not the same issue. This is about retroactively turning off functionality of a product that was previously FULLY SUPPORTED from a functional point of view.

Great move there URC! You can be assured that the MX-800 will be the LAST URC remote I ever buy and you can also be sure I will cease recommending them to friends.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 199 Old 11-20-2006, 06:16 AM

Right.... but can anyone tell me where I can get older software? I don't care if the live update is off. ALL I want is to be able to open my last saved file, make some changes, and upload those changes to the remote. In specific, I had version 1.12 before... so if someone can guide me to that version of the software (or newer I guess), you'd be a lifesaver!

And yes, URC stinks for doing this... big time...
post #8 of 199 Old 11-20-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

goatload,

The site worked perfectly to download the software yesterday. Were you careful to set the appropriate remote model from the drop down menu, and also set the appropriate serial number prefix from that drop down menu ("K", "KR", etc.)?

Hard to understand why it isn't working for some folks. Unless, of course, you don't have an actual serial number. Some of the CIs and VARs that sold them off to third parties (or on eBay) removed the serial number stickers before selling them. Without that serial number, you're dead in the water.

Mark

post #9 of 199 Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 AM

Mine doesn't have a "prefix", so I leave that drop down to "none". Mine just has the two sets of numbers on the sticker. :-/

Maybe I should try the serial with every one of those "prefix" dropdowns...
post #10 of 199 Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Looks like if i use "K" for my prefix, I get no errors about invalid serials... but I also don't get anywhere. It just reloads the same form. That's it. Ugh... this is incredibly annoying and frustrating.
post #11 of 199 Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

The first time I tried, it reloaded the same form for me too. That was because I left one of the other required fields blank. I persisted, and it let me download. But it is still the version with Live Update turned off!!!!!!

Mark

post #12 of 199 Old 11-20-2006, 07:03 PM

I don't remember exactly how I formatted the serial number when I plugged it in but the fields they have on the website do not correspond to how the serial number on you MX-700 is probably broken up. They have a phone number on the website - call them and tell them you are having difficulty inputting your serial number and they will help you put the right numbers in the right field to be able to download the software.
post #13 of 199 Old 11-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Liked: 14
This move by URC has got to be the biggest corporate screw-up ever made by a manufacturer. If they have such a big issue with "unauthorized dealers", here's a clue: don't sell to them!

Make your distributers sign an iron-clad agreement limiting the sales and marketing of the product, with hefty fines for not playing by the rules. It works for Paradigm.

Does URC really believe this is the best solution? Or are they simply enjoying the best of both worlds: reaping smaller profits from high-volume sales from the low-ball unauthorized distributors, and only supporting the high-profit, low volume dealers.

From here on out, I'm going out of my way to ensure no-one I talk to buys a URC product.

...just my $.02 - GST included.
post #14 of 199 Old 11-24-2006, 08:43 AM

goatload, I have software that is about 2 yrs old, I will have to transfer it off of my old windows me laptop and then email it you, pm me your email address and I will get it to you sometime this weekend.

also tried to register my remote to download but it is telling me my serial# is not valid, I have a 10 character serial on the inside of my battery door, is this the serial #???

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
-Bruce Lee
post #15 of 199 Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 AM

On the older MX Remotes there is a different serial number format that cannot be directly entered on URC's Site. Try the following if you have a serial number in the format xxxx yyyyyy. I believe that the x's denote the manufacture date and the y's denote the serial number. An example would be 0703 012345.

When you input the serial number choose a letter in the drop down menu and enter your serial number twice (once in each blank). The above example would be entered as K 012345 012345. If this doesn't work try one of the other letter combos such as KR, KB12 or KB13 in the drop down menu or leave it blank.
post #16 of 199 Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sunstar,

Thanks for the tip. I hope it works out for those that have the older serial numbers.

But, as a reminder, that will only get you the version of the Universal Database that was up-to-date as of July 31. Live Update will be turned OFF for the software you download from URC's site.

BTW, I wrote URC about my situation and that led to a telephone conversation with one of their support reps. Despite the fact that I got my remote from Amazon, he agreed to send me the newer version of the MX-Editor with Live Update turned ON. I just finished installing that newer verson of the software and Live Update is once again working. My Universal Database is now up to version 1.78 with a date of November 6, 2006.

Mark

post #17 of 199 Old 11-29-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Sunstar,

Thanks for the tip. I hope it works out for those that have the older serial numbers.

But, as a reminder, that will only get you the version of the Universal Database that was up-to-date as of July 31. Live Update will be turned OFF for the software you download from URC's site.

BTW, I wrote URC about my situation and that led to a telephone conversation with one of their support reps. Despite the fact that I got my remote from Amazon, he agreed to send me the newer version of the MX-Editor with Live Update turned ON. I just finished installing that newer verson of the software and Live Update is once again working. My Universal Database is now up to version 1.78 with a date of November 6, 2006.

Mark

Here, here - fully agree. I'd highly recommend people look elsewhere and only if URC remotes do so much more than others available, buy it. With this policy, the consumer is being screwed and I'd certainly not recommend their products to any other person.
post #18 of 199 Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar View Post

On the older MX Remotes there is a different serial number format that cannot be directly entered on URC's Site. Try the following if you have a serial number in the format xxxx yyyyyy. I believe that the x's denote the manufacture date and the y's denote the serial number. An example would be 0703 012345.

When you input the serial number choose a letter in the drop down menu and enter your serial number twice (once in each blank). The above example would be entered as K 012345 012345. If this doesn't work try one of the other letter combos such as KR, KB12 or KB13 in the drop down menu or leave it blank.

didnt work for me, can someone who sucessfully downloaded the software make it available.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
-Bruce Lee
post #19 of 199 Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am in the same boat here too, and I bought from an Authorized Dealer, but they wont give me the software to update, so I too am looking. I think they just want $$ for changes.
post #20 of 199 Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM

URC is really intent on alienating the people who pay the bills, aren't they? They're clearly putting the interests of custom installers and authorized dealers far ahead of consumers. This short-sighted business plan will come back to haunt them. Count me as another user who will strongly recommend against buying ANY URC product in the future.
post #21 of 199 Old 12-12-2006, 04:19 AM

I agree with it being horrible that URC has gone the route of not supporting their products to non authorized dealers and installers.
But I am a programer and I love the customization of the mx remotes.
If it wasn't for that I wouldn't get one either.
But I was SO impressed with the software customization of the mx-950, that against advice, I just bought one(from an un authorized dealer too, but with an extended warrenty).
I wish harmony or Monster(I like their AVS-300 somewhat), would make stand alone programs like Universal does to fully customize their remotes too.
Until then , the Universal remotes are STILL programable as long as Universal keeps their software up, and the only ones that seam to offer full customization to the consumer.
The only problem is that you are stuck with older copys without the IR database updates.
I have found a way around that registration process on Universal's site to directly download the software.
But , as Mark stated, it's only updated to July 2006.
Here's my thread listing the direct downlaod links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=764715
Enjoy

- Tony
post #22 of 199 Old 12-12-2006, 06:49 PM

thanks for the links tony.

-Bruce Lee
post #23 of 199 Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
URC's policy shift is working.

They wanted to combat grey market sales since they couldn't control them. Now, they have a SW policy that is making the SW more difficult to get, and people are complaining and taking their business elsewhere.

I'm honestly not here to gloat, but this was the intention; to make it a CI only remote. It's obviously working. I'm sorry you guys had such a tought time getting SW, but URC isn't going to change it.
post #24 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 10:52 AM

And they won't be getting any more of my business either. Why do they care who buys them? Same money in their pocket. Actually it is probably less these days since in the HT enthusiast community they are pissing off more people than they are pleasing. The whole concept of being an "authorized" dealer is just retarded to begin with. I've never utilized any "services" an authorized dealer is supposed to provide. I don't need any hand holding. Just sell me the damn thing and I'll be on my way.

-Dave
post #25 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM

Well the thing is that to someone that loves to tinker and tweek and customize things, THESE ARE STILL GREAT REMOTES.
After owning a harmony and hating that I have to be connected to the internet to program it, being limited by the activity states not tweekable(i.e. just have input states not pwr states, a much better way), etc., and the fact my harmony gave out in 3 weeks, I started looking for a better, fully consumer customizeable remote.
After figuring out how to download the mx software and playing with the mx-950's setups, I was extreemly impressed.
But I WASN'T going to pay $500-$700 to an authorized dealer for a mx-950, when I could get it cheaper elsewhere.
To cover hardware warrenty I bought a cheap $40 2 year extended warrenty.
I was able to fully program it with the non updatable software from Universal's site.
Right now I am awaiting a newer updatable version from someone I found over at remotecentral(I won't say who), for free.
So, once I receive that, I am good, saved a lot, and have a great remote.
Although it's a bit of a hassle, I feel others can and will do this too.
I am also willing to share what I have to help others too.

But if it wasn't for my research here and on remote central reguarding the software problem and figured out how to get it, I would have been out of luck.
I feel sorry for the uninformed consumer who buys this remote from an unauthorized dealer, and ends up not being able to program it because they don't know how to get the software, etc.

- Tony
post #26 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 PM

thanks again tony very good info. BTW I see the words "discrete codes" mentioned alot, what does this mean.

-Bruce Lee
post #27 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddk1 View Post

thanks again tony very good info. BTW I see the words "discrete codes" mentioned alot, what does this mean.

Anything to help others.
"discrete codes" usually refer to a "discrete" power on power off code vs toggle switches (serves for both on/off).
With discrete on/off you don't need a remote that needs to figure out what state the component was last at(on or off), you just send a discrete off or on to it.
These states are what make the harmonys great, but can also cause problems with other remotes, etc.
The mx-950(the only hard button remote with universal that has variables) has varibles to remember these states, and can be customized to use them or not(unlike the harmonys, which will always use them).
That's what I like about the mx-950 vs the harmony remotes:
It can be programed to do EVERYTHING the harmonys can(and more), but is fully customizable.
Hope that kind of explains it a bit.

- Tony
post #28 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn41 View Post

Anything to help others.
"discrete codes" usually refer to a "discrete" power on power off code vs toggle switches (serves for both on/off).

you mean like with the directivo's where you have to go into the menu to turn it into standby?

-Bruce Lee
post #29 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddk1 View Post

you mean like with the directivo's where you have to go into the menu to turn it into standby?

No.
It means that you have a way to send a discrete ON or OFF to a component.
A lot of components only have one button that "toggles" between ON or OFF.
With smart remotes(like the harmonys, or mx-950, if you program it in), they will KNOW which power state the component was last in(or which input it was on) by saving a variable.
That way when you switch to let's say from playing a VCR to playing a DVD player, which may have only toggle power switches, and no discrete ON or OFF codes, it will KNOW that the VCR was on, and turn the VCR OFF and the DVD ON, etc.
But:
If your VCR and DVD has "discrete" POWER ON and POWER OFF, you don't have to have the remote remember anything.
It just turns the VCR OFF and the DVD ON.
This is kind of getting into advanced remote programing.
The mx-950 is great to do that with, IF you fully understand it all.

- Tony
post #30 of 199 Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn41 View Post

No.
It means that you have a way to send a discrete ON or OFF to a component.
A lot of components only have one button that "toggles" between ON or OFF.
With smart remotes(like the harmonys, or mx-950, if you program it in), they will KNOW which power state the component was last in(or which input it was on) by saving a variable.
That way when you switch to let's say from playing a VCR to playing a DVD player, which may have only toggle power switches, and no discrete ON or OFF codes, it will KNOW that the VCR was on, and turn the VCR OFF and the DVD ON, etc.
But:
If your VCR and DVD has "discrete" POWER ON and POWER OFF, you don't have to have the remote remember anything.
It just turns the VCR OFF and the DVD ON.
This is kind of getting into advanced remote programing.
The mx-950 is great to do that with, IF you fully understand it all.

I think I understand , I have my components set so that if I want to switch to the dvd player, the macro button will switch on the dvd player, swicth the input to dvd, and audio on the reciever, and to go back it does the opposite.

-Bruce Lee
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Remotes And Controllers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page