Harmony 880 Charger Problem - fixed yet? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This can be fixed with a Phillips screwdriver, a butter knife and a piece of double sided tape or even folded paper.
1 - Peel off the four pads on the bottom of the charger (you can stick them back on again).
2 - Remove the four screws
3 - Separate the top from the bottom, there are two contact points at the center that keep it from just falling apart, use a butter knife and gently pry the edges, it will come apart.
4 - Cut a small piece (1/2 inch) of double sided tape, or single sided foam tape, or anything handy that will prop up the three contacts by about 1/8th inch (the foam tape works perfect as it acts like a spring).
5 - Use the butter knife and gently insert it underneath all three contacts.
6 - Angle the butter knife up slightly and insert your cradle of choice underneath
7 - Re-assemble the remote. Remember to be gentle with the two middle contacts, it will click right in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I solved this problem when I found that the charger was not charging the remote by doing the following. First I cleaned the terminals with a
alcahol wipe which worked for about 10 minutes but then it quit charging so then I unplugged the charger, removed the 4 rubber feet to expose
the 4 small screws then separated the base. The two charging pins had the gold plating worn off of the top so I applied a dab of soldering paste
to the contacts then heated up my soldering iron and put a dab of rosin core solder on the iron then briefly touched it to the charging pins. One must be careful not to put too much solder on the pins or they will not fit bach in the holes on the plastic top of the charger. After reassembly the charger worked again like a charm. The problem is the gold plate on the pins wears away and there is no conductivity so when soldering, make sure that the solder contacts some of the existing gold.
post #33 of 34 Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
You don't have to take the cradle apart if you are a careful solderer and have a very thin solder coil. Briefly heat the iron and touch it to each contact on the cradle with very little solder to leave just a bit on each contact. Don't put too much and don't melt the plastic. That's why I said "briefly". It worked for me. Charging like new. Don't have to jiggle it or put a weight on it anymore.
post #34 of 34 Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been using the jiggle method for years. I have three systems in house, I use a Harmony One, Harmony 900 and Harmony 880. My biggest complaint about any of them is the 900 doesn't hold a charge as long as the 880 which doesn't hold a charge as long as the One. All three use the same battery type so I have exchanged batteries and that fact doesn't change. I am delighted with all three, even though I have to put the 900 on the charging cradle every week and have to jiggle the 880. If one of these break, I have a Harmony 700 I found at a garage sale as a back up. If two break, I am going to go back to the JP-1 remotes in the closet, even though that is very difficult for me.

I love the fact the batteries have such a long life, I am getting 5 years out of these batteries and replacement batteries are easy to find and inexpensive. I haven't paid any attention to the new Harmony remotes but I assume those are even better. Harmony is my first venture into expensive remotes and so far I think it has been worth the cost. I don't have a single button or light bad and other than the minor battery charging nuisances, not the slightest complaint. Still, all of the remotes need to last a long time, many years before I am going to conclude an expensive remote is worth the cost.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote , Logitech Harmony 880 Remote Control Refurbished , Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote Control , Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote Universal Remote Control , Original Logitech Battery Door Cover Lid For Logitech Harmony 880 885 Remote Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page