New version of Harmony software HORRIBLE - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 12-20-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having problems with the new Harmony software that has been out for the last few months? I have gone through so much grief trying to simply program these things. Since they made the switch to the new software, it has been nothing but problems. I am trying to help a coworker install one right now over the phone. He can't even get the remote to update it's firmware. I grabbed a remote out of my truck and tried to update the firmware, and its been sitting here for 20 minutes and its up to 9%. I am on a cable internet connection with no speed issues. I really am beginning to hate Harmony. Strike that, I am beyond that point now. Anyone else having these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
sorry if i'm stating the obvious but check for running antivirus & firewall programs that may be interfering. I just did some upgrades recently on a 688 and 880 and they both went very quick.

Jim
post #3 of 49 Old 12-20-2006, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I just updated my 2 remotes last week, worked the same as it did when I bought them months ago. I did not notice any changes or anything negative if they did change or update their software. This is news to me.
post #4 of 49 Old 12-20-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Works fine for me, too.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #5 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Don't use the software setup....try the web based setup at http://members.harmonyremote.com
post #6 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh wait, by software update, I thought he was referring to the software that Harmony runs on it's website and your computer uses to sync commands? I use the web for my remotes, not any app on a CD or anything.
post #7 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 07:12 AM

My 720 (costco) set up perfectly. I returned a Sony touch screen RM AX 4000 because the sofware was so clunky. The Harmony software is light years ahead of Sony.
post #8 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

No problems with either of my 670's. Check security programs. I have AVG running but it's not causing any problems.
post #9 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 AM

My 880 & 520 both went fine last night when I was tweaking them

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #10 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I use both the Web-based setup and the standalone Harmony app (depending on the mood I'm in). Both work fine for me, but the standalone app seems to be better. I using it on a Mac G5 running OS 10.4.8.

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #11 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was having trouble updating my 680 via the web site after the last update, I would get that little wheel turning and a message saying "Please wait" and nothing would happen. So I started using the software to update the controller, 7.2.1 I believe. I find that this works fine and is faster than using the web site, especially if their servers are busy. I use the local software for all my changes except the ones not available through it, i.e. adding commands at the start or end of an activity.

I have found that the verbage in the new update is really screwy tho. For example when modifying commands for changing inputs on my TV, to add more commands you have to check the box that reads "My device requires more commands to turn it on or off". Obviously they don't have anyone proof reading their interface, or it's someone for which English isn't their native language.
post #12 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I've found the current Logitech desktop software to be a little unstable. It's crashed a few times during normal operation.
post #13 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Logitech has to solve those memory holes. It's quite ridiculous.

The new software at least has the added functionality for favorites by Wireless Extender.
post #14 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update, I had to call Harmony to get some support. There were several problems. One of which is that we were trying to get a H659 programmed. According to the guy at Harmony, the updated software searches for a 24 hour clock upon the initial setup. The H659 as a 12 hour clock. I had no idea actually that they had any sort of clock, but this is what I was told. Also when setting up the account, for some reason or another, the software set it up as a "trial account". This allows you to basically program a remote, but not update it in any way. I have had a lot of issues, like I said, ever since the update. We basically do all our programming via the site, so we can store everything in a dealer account and so that it is easy should we need support, either from Harmony or just if one of us with a little more experience can help out, like last night. At this point, I have informed them I will not be installing any more Harmony's, at least while this version of software is out. I will stick to the Universal Remotes.
post #15 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

I had problems from the get go with my new 659. First thing it tried to do was update its firmware before proceeding. No go - again and again and again. I then tried it on my other computer and it went perfect and worked great. I figure I wasn't able to do what I wanted on the first computer because I connected to a USB port on the face of the computer that is a 9 in 1 memory card USB reader. The second and successful computer had its own dedicated USB port.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #16 of 49 Old 12-21-2006, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post

I had problems from the get go with my new 659. First thing it tried to do was update its firmware before proceeding. No go - again and again and again. I then tried it on my other computer and it went perfect and worked great. I figure I wasn't able to do what I wanted on the first computer because I connected to a USB port on the face of the computer that is a 9 in 1 memory card USB reader. The second and successful computer had its own dedicated USB port.

The problems we have been seeing have been on multiple computers.
post #17 of 49 Old 12-24-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I just installed the new desktop software on my new laptop. This is a joy to use compared to before. This worked seamlessly with my laptop. On my other desktop computer I always had problems with pop up blocker, antivirus, and firewall stuff. So far no problems with new software on new laptop. Now I look forward to tweaking my remote while before I was mad as hell.

Scott
post #18 of 49 Old 12-26-2006, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I am installing another H659. Again the remote will NOT update the firmware. I am on hold yet again with Harmony to get support so they can correct the error. I have not tried a different model as of late, but these 659's obviously do not work with this new software. Everytime I install one, I have to call up to get them to correct the issues. I have to get to another job about 20 miles away and this is really holding me up. I have to install a URC MX-700 there, THANK GOD.
post #19 of 49 Old 12-26-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovemd View Post

I am installing another H659. Again the remote will NOT update the firmware. I am on hold yet again with Harmony to get support so they can correct the error. I have not tried a different model as of late, but these 659's obviously do not work with this new software. Everytime I install one, I have to call up to get them to correct the issues. I have to get to another job about 20 miles away and this is really holding me up. I have to install a URC MX-700 there, THANK GOD.

I just did an update to my 720 - no issues, worked like a champ.

It's a little strange that you are the only one having issues. I'd check your computer - something is mucking up the software. I doubt very highly that it's a Harmony problem - too many people are more than pleased with how it all works, including me
post #20 of 49 Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

I just did an update to my 720 - no issues, worked like a champ.

It's a little strange that you are the only one having issues. I'd check your computer - something is mucking up the software. I doubt very highly that it's a Harmony problem - too many people are more than pleased with how it all works, including me

Every single person that has come here and said they have had no issue did NOT have a h659. That is the most common ones that we install. I have had another discussion with harmony, and it IS a known issue. There are actually several issues according to them. The H659 comes with firmware version number 2.7. The updated firmware on the site or the local software is currently version 4.1. According to the techs at harmony, you cannot upgrade directly from 2.7 to 4.1. I was able to get them to email me a copy of firmware version 3.0 so I can upgrade to this firmware first. I still had to boot the remote into safe mode in order to get it to accept this update. And for the record (I believe I mentioned this already), the issues I have been seen have been from multiple computers.
post #21 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 AM

Any chance the multiple computers are loaded with the same software? For example, your anti-virus program could be interfering with the installation. If you have the same anti-virus program on all of the computers you tried, you'd experience the same problem.

From what you've described it does sound like a Harmony problem, but I'm just trying to help you rule out other possible causes.
post #22 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo Bird View Post

Any chance the multiple computers are loaded with the same software? For example, your anti-virus program could be interfering with the installation. If you have the same anti-virus program on all of the computers you tried, you'd experience the same problem.

From what you've described it does sound like a Harmony problem, but I'm just trying to help you rule out other possible causes.

Computers have different software. The one I have been using most recently, including yesterday, has a clean install of Windows XP without any anti-virus software or firewalls. Wanted to rule out everything.
post #23 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Every single person that has come here and said they have had no issue did NOT have a h659. That is the most common ones that we install. I have had another discussion with harmony, and it IS a known issue. There are actually several issues according to them. The H659 comes with firmware version number 2.7. The updated firmware on the site or the local software is currently version 4.1. According to the techs at harmony, you cannot upgrade directly from 2.7 to 4.1. I was able to get them to email me a copy of firmware version 3.0 so I can upgrade to this firmware first. I still had to boot the remote into safe mode in order to get it to accept this update. And for the record (I believe I mentioned this already), the issues I have been seen have been from multiple computers.

I'm not trying to goad you, but why are you fooling around with 659's if you know they have a firmware problem? Why not recommend other Harmony's that work?
post #24 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman View Post

I'm not trying to goad you, but why are you fooling around with 659's if you know they have a firmware problem? Why not recommend other Harmony's that work?

For one, we are not going to just leave a stack of remote piled on our shelf at our warehouse when we can offer it to customers. Second, people do have the choice, but it comes down to price for many people and they don't want to spend more. It is hard to tell someone they have to pay several hundred for a remote. We also offer URC remotes, that take a bit of time to program, but people do not realize the amount of time and effort that can go into this. If they want a remote that can control the system at a low cost, that is what we give them. Trust me, I have talked to the powers that be about trying to send back these 659's, but so far it has laid upon deaf ears. Until that time comes, or we simply run out, I have to still deal with them, and it is a headache to say the least.
post #25 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For one, we are not going to just leave a stack of remote piled on our shelf at our warehouse when we can offer it to customers. Second, people do have the choice, but it comes down to price for many people and they don't want to spend more. It is hard to tell someone they have to pay several hundred for a remote. We also offer URC remotes, that take a bit of time to program, but people do not realize the amount of time and effort that can go into this. If they want a remote that can control the system at a low cost, that is what we give them. Trust me, I have talked to the powers that be about trying to send back these 659's, but so far it has laid upon deaf ears. Until that time comes, or we simply run out, I have to still deal with them, and it is a headache to say the least.

That's what I suspected all along: culprit is profit margin and not Harmony's software or hardware. Your company has a batch of old remotes to sell (yeah, 2.7 is old).
But as I understand from your posts you just need one extra step to upgrade firmware to 3.0 and, then, as usual. Actually, you should praise Logitech for continuing support.
post #26 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

That's what I suspected all along: culprit is profit margin and not Harmony's software or hardware. Your company has a batch of old remotes to sell (yeah, 2.7 is old).
But as I understand from your posts you just need one extra step to upgrade firmware to 3.0 and, then, as usual. Actually, you should praise Logitech for continuing support.

Please. Profit margin? I love how so many here love to bash all dealers and always bring up the same lame points. The fact is that for MONTHS, we have had issues. Until yesterday, not one of the techs are harmony could fix this issue with a lengthy (over an hour each time) call in for support. Only yesterday did a tech finally offer to email me the missing firmware update. Now I like Harmony's support, but with this latest software update, combined with this issue with the firmware, it has been hellish getting these to work. This has NOTHING to do with profit margin as you speak of. You think this because we offer options to the customer, and they tend to choose the cheapy? Trust me, I have had conversations on why they need to spend a little more. Human nature, spend the least amount possible. Unfortunately, that is what happens. A large part of our customer base are middle age and older men/families who do not know the difference between coax and component, let alone a harmony 659 and a mx-3000. Some people you just cannot talk into spending the extra cash. Either way, none of that changes the fact that we have had these problems, there has been no light at the end of the tunnel until (hopefully), now. I have had some other suggestions by techs in the last couple months that worked while I was on the phone with them, but later had no effect. I am hoping this firmware update will fix the issues, as it seems more logical then any of the other fixes. I guess time will tell.
post #27 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please. Profit margin? I love how so many here love to bash...

Please, Bashing? Actually, I like "profit margin" myself and used it in a positive sense. We work to make money, that the American way. And I can relate to your pain. Just recently I went through a few tech support levels to get firmware which D-Link kept out of their website (1.02 for G600) for a while . I just tried to set record straight.
post #28 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Every single person that has come here and said they have had no issue did NOT have a h659....

My 659 works just fine with the standalone Harmony application. It will NOT update with the Web-based software (I'm using a Mac, and Logitech says that's a problem). I can make changes to my configuration with both the standalone and Web, but can only update the remote with the standalone program. So, you see, the 659 WILL work with the standalone application.

post #29 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

Please, Bashing? Actually, I like "profit margin" myself and used it in a positive sense. We work to make money, that the American way. And I can relate to your pain. Just recently I went through a few tech support levels to get firmware which D-Link kept out of their website (1.02 for G600) for a while . I just tried to set record straight.

First I want to apologize. I was a bit brash. I had just gotten off the phone arguing with someone and I guess I let the aggravation spill over into that post. Sorry about that. And yes, I think what was most annoying is not having all the needed info readily available. I do not mind having an issue here and there, that just comes with the territory. It's just been a long struggle with these remotes, and I am just hopeful this latest fix will solve all the issues.
post #30 of 49 Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

My 659 works just fine with the standalone Harmony application. It will NOT update with the Web-based software (I'm using a Mac, and Logitech says that's a problem). I can make changes to my configuration with both the standalone and Web, but can only update the remote with the standalone program. So, you see, the 659 WILL work with the standalone application.

Your remote had already been updated. This problem occurs upon initial setup, when you try to update from firmware 2.7 to what is now available through Harmony, version 4.1. Whether you go through the web based software or the standalone software, you cannot program the remote at all, until you update the firmware. You cannot jump from 2.7 to 4.1, but you can jump to 3.0, which is what was available previously. If you aleady had a remote that was already updated to 3.0, then you should not have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page