Harmony 676 for X-Mas Should I keep it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the title says. I got a Harmony 676 for X-Mas and do not know what to do. I have found very little info about this remote. I was thinking of taking it back and getting the 880. I have done some looking around this forum and have seen many people say remote other then Harmony are better. What would you guys do?

Thanks

BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad bimr View Post

As the title says. I got a Harmony 676 for X-Mas and do not know what to do. I have found very little info about this remote. I was thinking of taking it back and getting the 880. I have done some looking around this forum and have seen many people say remote other then Harmony are better. What would you guys do?

Thanks

BP

I got the same one. I've already had a lot of problems with the Harmony web server and help desk. You will need to update the firmware first and then download the latest software. I couldn't do either (or I should say Harmony wouldn't let me do either) and had to call the help desk. The tier one guy couldn't help me after an hour and the tier two guy almost gave up after two hours. I downloaded the firmware and software, then saved and installed it from my HDD. The tier 2 guy (sounded Indian) had to send me my configuration file via an email attachment which finally installed and worked except, after I modified it, I found that I could still not download any updates from their server. Every time I launch the software or try to update my file I get redirected to some obscure web page that the tier 2 guy told me was on an obsolete server at Harmony. He couldn't explain why. Yesterday I tried the help desk again several times but the phone rang once and disconnected each time. To make matters worse my wife bought the POS from Amazon but I opened it for Christmas after their 30 day return period. My next move is to take it down to the garage and flatten it with a maul. My advice? Send it back and get an MX-500. Takes a little longer to program but you are not dependent on some flakey web service.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I love my 676. I've had it for 2 years now. I went with Harmony because it's easy to configure, easy to use, and I like the activity feature. If you have issues setting it up, customer service absolutely rocks. Unless you know of a remote you'd rather have, there's nothing wrong with the 676.

Harmony's web service has been 100% stable and usable for me. I have two Harmonies and have had no issues with either remote and Harmony's website. Actually, Harmony's website/software is the reason my next remote will be a Harmony as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post

Harmony's web service has been 100% stable and usable for me. I have two Harmonies and have had no issues with either remote and Harmony's website. Actually, Harmony's website/software is the reason my next remote will be a Harmony as well.

I knew I was in trouble when I inserted the installation CD and immediately got a dialog box indicating my Firefox browser was not approved with the software. I switched to IE 6.0 and got the same message. I don't have any other browser choices.

Also, the tier one support guy told me he already had 4 complaints that morning of not being able to download from their server and that he advised his supervisor. I tried to configure both from the Harmony software loaded on my PC (ver 7.0.2) and also from the members web page with the same results (or lack of results as it happens).

badbimr wanted to know if he should keep it. I'd have to vote "no".
post #5 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

My next move is to take it down to the garage and flatten it with a maul

I have a better idea: sell it to me for a reasonable amount.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew I was in trouble when I inserted the installation CD and immediately got a dialog box indicating my Firefox browser was not approved with the software. I switched to IE 6.0 and got the same message. I don't have any other browser choices.

Also, the tier one support guy told me he already had 4 complaints that morning of not being able to download from their server and that he advised his supervisor. I tried to configure both from the Harmony software loaded on my PC (ver 7.0.2) and also from the members web page with the same results (or lack of results as it happens).

badbimr wanted to know if he should keep it. I'd have to vote "no".

Curious, you could not update your remote from their web site? I have never installed their CD software, I use the web interface without hitch. I just added an A2 and PS3 to my system and added both, created new activities without any problems. What exactly are you having issue with? Updating the firmware? Is this a brand new remote?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 AM

I got one for Christmas also and could not be happier. Took 20 minutes to load the new software and I am a moron when it comes to the computer. Took another 20 minutes to set everything up and it all works perfectly.

I wonder if they weren't having server problems from the number of people trying to get in at once.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post

Curious, you could not update your remote from their web site? I have never installed their CD software, I use the web interface without hitch. I just added an A2 and PS3 to my system and added both, created new activities without any problems. What exactly are you having issue with? Updating the firmware? Is this a brand new remote?

Yeah, brand new. I just spent another hour with tier 1 support. The problem I have now is that none of my configuration changes ever take effect. I've tried downloading from the version 7.0.2 software loaded onto my PC and also directly from the Harmony web site. Both indicate "download complete" but none of the changes I've made appear to work. Last night I made several changes in both "device" and "activities". The changes still appear there in my configuration file but they don't seem to stick in the remote. I don't see how Logitech can make any money here. I've had at least four hours of tech assist. If they pay their support folks $15 an hour they've spent over half what I paid for the damn thing.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

I have a better idea: sell it to me for a reasonable amount.

Do you have paypal? Make me an offer. I'll just get me another MX-500. I've been very happy with it for three years until the backlight went kaput.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah, brand new. I just spent another hour with tier 1 support. The problem I have now is that none of my configuration changes ever take effect. I've tried downloading from the version 7.0.2 software loaded onto my PC and also directly from the Harmony web site. Both indicate "download complete" but none of the changes I've made appear to work. Last night I made several changes in both "device" and "activities". The changes still appear there in my configuration file but they don't seem to stick in the remote. I don't see how Logitech can make any money here. I've had at least four hours of tech assist. If they pay their support folks $15 an hour they've spent over half what I paid for the damn thing.

Did you update the firmware directly to version 4.1? If memory serves correctly, the 676 is basically the same remote as the 659, which I have had a lot of issues with lately. For the record, I install these remotes for clients, so it has been several remotes from several different computers. I actually started a tread about the issues, you can read them there too if you like. If the remote is indeed the same, you may have to update the firmware to version 3.0 first. Also, did they have you try to update the firmware from safe mode (on the remote, not the computer)? I can help you with that if you wanna give it a try. Maybe we can salvage it for you.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As KidRed mentioned, the actual web interface is the way to go. I've found the software to be very difficult to use and not very useful in getting consistent downloads.

http://members.harmonyremote.com
post #12 of 16 Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovemd View Post

Did you update the firmware directly to version 4.1? If memory serves correctly, the 676 is basically the same remote as the 659, which I have had a lot of issues with lately. For the record, I install these remotes for clients, so it has been several remotes from several different computers. I actually started a tread about the issues, you can read them there too if you like. If the remote is indeed the same, you may have to update the firmware to version 3.0 first. Also, did they have you try to update the firmware from safe mode (on the remote, not the computer)? I can help you with that if you wanna give it a try. Maybe we can salvage it for you.

Thanks. I went through the firmware update process at the web site. It seems to me that it updated in two stages (that there was an intermediate stage). The help desk guy took me through the safe mode process too. I should also mention that I initially couldn't download ANY configuration. The tier two guy actually sent me my configuration file as an executable attachment in an email. That loaded okay but I still cannot change anything. Maybe the hardware is just NFG. I'm still not totally sour on the concept here of custom remotes however, if the 659 and 676 generally suck....what is a better alternative?
post #13 of 16 Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I went through the firmware update process at the web site. It seems to me that it updated in two stages (that there was an intermediate stage). The help desk guy took me through the safe mode process too. I should also mention that I initially couldn't download ANY configuration. The tier two guy actually sent me my configuration file as an executable attachment in an email. That loaded okay but I still cannot change anything. Maybe the hardware is just NFG. I'm still not totally sour on the concept here of custom remotes however, if the 659 and 676 generally suck....what is a better alternative?

Personally, I prefer the URC line. I really like the MX-700 and MX-850. If you feel there is a problem with that remote however, which it sounds quite possible, I would talk to Logitech about replacing it either with the same model or if they are willing, a different one.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovemd View Post

Personally, I prefer the URC line. I really like the MX-700 and MX-850. If you feel there is a problem with that remote however, which it sounds quite possible, I would talk to Logitech about replacing it either with the same model or if they are willing, a different one.

I've been using an MX-500 for the last three years. I just thought the Harmony gigantic database and the online configuration would be easier and more convenient than all the individual macros I have to create on the MX. Its just another PC pain in the ass so far.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got this 676 to work properly after round two with the Tier 2 support. To recap: my 676 would not take any updates. The update file would download and install but none of the changes would take effect. In one final test I was asked to remove the interchangeable face plate on the 676 and try the updates again. This time it worked! It seems the face plate was partially holding button(s) down which prevented the remote memory from accepting any changes even though the download completed successfully. The remote control came with the silver face plate installed. I tried the others but the red one wouldn't completely lock down on the right side and the blue one could not be applied at all without depressing several buttons. I put the silver one back on but one of the tape drive buttons stuck down and I had to manually pull it back up.

So I was right in one respect. This thing is a POS from the manufacturing standpoint. I haven't decided whether or not to send it back but my recommendation right now to anyone considering the purchase of a 676.....DON"T. You are in for a BIG hassle.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 AM

I have owned two Harmony 676 remotes, and I'm going to buy a third one today. I haven't had any problems remotely like the ones mentioned in this thread. I have several separate A/V set ups in my house, thus the need for the multiple remotes. Also, having all the remotes being the same type make things easier on the mental workload.

The Harmony website will work fine with FireFox, they just show that stupid message. I can also put in my vote that the web site is a lot better than the software, which actually just looks like a version of the website in a separate little window.

While there are definately flaws with the devices, and I admittedly don't have much experience with other types of remotes, I really like the Harmony 676.

Todd

!todd erases a red dot!
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page