Help me choose my remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-01-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I want a universal remote. I am familiar with the Harmony models and I am leaning in the direction of the 880. I might consider the 720, but I can't find one anywhere. These are my components that will need to be controlled:

Mitsubishi WD-52825
Onkyo Receiver TX-SR503
Directv HR20 DVR
Pioneer DVD player DV-588A
Near future upgrade Sony PS3

I like the on-screen features of the Harmony remotes, but it is not a necessity. Is there a remote that would give me really good reliability? I would like to stay under $300 for this purchase. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am very happy with my 880. Set up is a breeze and to be honest some remotes i have had in the past have just been way to complicated for me to enjoy. This one is well thought out and very easy to use.

Tim
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM

So, until today I was surfing over week in forums and webpages (avs, remotecentral, URC, CNET only name it ) but I cant choose right universal remote for myself. Possible choiches seems had at least one deficiency.
But in first place my items, what I want to control
- Sony KDL-46X3500
-Technics SA-DX950 5.1 receiver
-DVD player OPPO-980H
-Amino digibox
-And finally it would be nice when I might control my MacBook Pro while I watch movies with that (my OPPO doesnt play avi files over 720x576).
I was conseider next choiches:
-Harmony 555, minus seems that quality is very bad.
-MX-500, minus is that there are only 3 action possibility buttons (or I missing something) But MX-500 have Punch Through feature!!! Very big plus for me.
- MX-810 seems have some delay progamming issue and that cost is little out of my budget.
Can somebody seduce for me universal remote (cost would be until 150USD littele higher is not problem when it is worth that)?
post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Really no one idea? :O
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Frankly, I have tried lots of universal remotes and for me, you really do get what you pay for. I know that 300-400 is a lot to shell out for a remote, but the amazing abilities and versatility that they provide makes it worth it to spend at least that much. Otherwise, you end up with a remote that will likely be difficult to program and will likely not be capable of fully replacing your other remotes. I have tried many Harmony remotes and a number of URC remotes and I really like the URC's. I have a mx-810 right now that I like and it has a wizard based software that does a pretty good job with basic setup and then a built in browser feature that allows pretty in depth tweaking. At $400 it may be a little too much for your budget though. Maybe try to find a deal on a mx-850 or even a mx-700 (discontinued but a very good model).

As an added note, if you do end up adding a PS3 to your system, keep in mind that it uses a bluetooth remote and there are some necessary workarounds to this to use a universal remote for it.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Thank You for answering! I'm understand that point of view. Yes this is little out of my budget but as You can see almoust all my items are pointed to quality. I was just thinking that my system isnt so sophiscated that I might even consider so expensive remote (but if I wil honest I like MX-810 or MX-900 how they looks like and I believe that these are worth of that money, I just dont know will I use these capabilities). Does MX-810 have punch through capability? It means that if I'm watching TV then volume button operates receiver volume (cos tv speakers is turned off and signal goes to receiver) not TV's?
And You can consider that programming is quite easy? Because from Balticum I dont find nobody who might help me There are Logitech dedicated sellers only.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny16 View Post

Does MX-810 have punch through capability? It means that if I'm watching TV then volume button operates receiver volume (cos tv speakers is turned off and signal goes to receiver) not TV's?
And You can consider that programming is quite easy? Because from Balticum I dont find nobody who might help me There are Logitech dedicated sellers only.

- There are a lot of URC and Harmony fans on this site and the Remotecentral forums. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I'm sure that there will be programming help for either brand on one of these forums.

BTW, punch through should be available on EVERY programmable remote out there (cheap Sony, One For All, URC, Harmony).
post #8 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny16 View Post

Thank You for answering! I'm understand that point of view. Yes this is little out of my budget but as You can see almoust all my items are pointed to quality. I was just thinking that my system isnt so sophiscated that I might even consider so expensive remote (but if I wil honest I like MX-810 or MX-900 how they looks like and I believe that these are worth of that money, I just dont know will I use these capabilities). Does MX-810 have punch through capability? It means that if I'm watching TV then volume button operates receiver volume (cos tv speakers is turned off and signal goes to receiver) not TV's?

Give AVS a call for URC's MX900. You might be surprised at the price. It's a *FANTASTIC* remote. It is **SO** much better than the Harmony 880 that it's not even a fair contest. The dedicated buttons, the feel/heft of it, easy programming, customization available, macro support, on and on and on. It did the one thing no other universal remote did. It got rid of *all* my remotes (Marantz 8001, SA8300HD, Samsung 1400, Toshiba XA2, Samsung HLT6756, and some stupid Panasonic VCR that my wife refuses to get rid of!

Thanks,
Hansang
post #9 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM

So I was try MX-810 wizard soft. Seems that in database isnt Oppo 980 and Amino IPTV items. There are Oppo 981 and 970 (i hope some of them will be ok). Wizard seems for me little clumsy.
I will search now is there somebody who wants sell brand new MX-810 or MX-900.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 AM

The mx-810 software is a bit clunky (though still better than Harmony software). Once you get the hang of it though it isn't too bad. Plus, the inclusion of the Browser feature allows pretty in depth tweaking of the remote without dealing with the wizards. I bought my mx-810 at a best buy; don't know if you have one close to you or not.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Little offtopic but is that worth to buy that item: http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=tab%3DBidding He wants trasaction over Western Union. Somehow seems WU in ebay contecst very suspicious. In same time he have many customers. But in same time all customers are 1-20 issues buying and almoust all are priv ate listnings.
Problem is that I cant buy that remote from EU or I cant search.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Never buy anything on eBay via Western Union.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM

anything that's not a harmony.

we had to replace over a dozen 880's a couple of years ago, because of flat out death.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page