Any minimalist learning remotes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a super simple learning remote?

Ideally, it would have number keys, channel and sound up/down, power and perhaps just two more keys to set the input to regular TV and digital TV.

This is for my mid-80 year old parents-in-law to use with a Vizio LCD TV I bought for them. The original remote has waaaaay too many keys many of which will result in a phone call starting with "Help, the TV doesn't work any more."

Their TV is hooked up to cable and nothing else. But the stupid Vizio does not combine analog and digital listing into one so I need the analog/digital selector buttons.

I programmed up my old, now obsolete Harmony 659 (I now use an 890,) but that still has too many keys and, even though they can't get into trouble, I would like to know if a minimalist remote exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
How about the cable's remote? Depending on the model of the remote and the TV, there might be a way to add TV's commands without having a learning ability. Which cable remote do you have and which model of Vizio LCD are you trying to control? Did you already find a working code (other than the "TV" button) for the TV on the cable's remote?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupakai View Post

How about the cable's remote?

No such thing. Cable is plugged directly into the TV (actually through a splitter as the stupid TV has separate input for analog cable and digital cable.)
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 978
I can't exactly recommend one, but Best Buy has some $30 learning remotes (Universal Remote brand) that must be pretty simple.

In fact, I seem to recall one of the local chain drugstores nearby was selling a learning remote for under $9.

Of course they were also selling a Home Theater in a Box including upscaling DVD player, receiver, full speaker set, and all cables for $70. I can't recall if it came with a remote though. (grin!)

Caveat emptor.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!