Harmony 890 first impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't see as many threads on this remote as the other harmonies, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on my first day with the Harmony 890.

I was leaning towards buying one of the cheaper Harmony remotes (particularly the 670) and then buying a cheap RS IR extender, but then I saw the notable discounts on the 880 and 890 Amazon had. I was all but ready to buy the 880 + IR extender since I only currently have one component (my receiver) out of view, but ultimately decided to go 890 for native RF support since in the future I may have more and more components out of normal remote view. Plus the nearly half price from Amazon made the decision easier.

Anyway, it arrived yesterday. I had heard repeatedly in the forum that the web site was a much more preferable way of configuring/updating the remote, but I didn't really find that to be the case. One of the first things I wanted was to rename one of my activities, but I couldn't figure out how to do it on the web site. Doing it with the regular software was trivially easy. I also didn't like the look and feel of the website. It seemed less polished than the normal software. Anyway, I have found configuring the devices and actvities to be pretty intuitive. I was tickled that when adding the devices, three of the example model #'s after entering the manufacturer were my exact model!

One thing that I am irritated with is the need to plug in the extender for an update any time you update anything on the remote. This is tedious since often I am not changing anything that should involve the extender. It's made worse by the fact that the power supply for the extender can not be removed from it, so you have to unplug it every time you do an update.

I found setting up activities to be quite easy over all. For the most part, the remote sets up the buttons by default very well. The only things I had to change for watching cable was mapping the replay button (rewind 7 seconds) and the fact that the MENU button was mapped to MENU for my SA 8300HD, which is just a duplicate of the GUIDE button instead of the correct function (SETTINGS).

One gripe I have is with the remote itself. It just feels very cheaply made. Several buttons seem to be very "loose" and can be moved around in their positions. I also would have liked a more tactile feel to the buttons rather than the simple click. The buttons are very close to each other with little space seperating them, making it a bit harder to navigate the remote by "feel". It feels very fragile as a whole. I am terrified of dropping it. I am not in love with the layout of the buttons. The volume and channel up/down buttons are very skinny and I would really like them in a more central location rather than on the edges on the remote. I also don't like the numeric keypad being at the absolute bottom of the remote as it makes them a bit harder to access. A little bit of space between the bottom of the remote and the numeric pad (ala the SA 8300HD's remote) would have been welcome. A lot of these issues will lessen once I learn the layout better, but the physical properties of the remote are a bit of a disappointment.

As far as how well the remote works, I love it. The RF functions work perfectly with my receiver which is off to the side. Plus, its IR range is much, much better than that of my regular remotes. We have an ottoman which really blocked a lot of my components that sit low on my tv stand from receiving signals, but with the harmony it has proven to be no problem. Also, it does a great job of controlling them from my dining table without having to point to a precise location. I am very impressed and pleasantly surprised by how well it sends the IR signals. After a few failed first attempts at performing activities, the remote assistant seemed to figure out the issues itself and now all my activities are now working perfectly (with further testing needed). It really has allowed me to put all my other remotes in a drawer and control everything at one time with one remote, which of course is the goal.

I really don't think this is very user friendly for the non-tech savvy. There is almost no documentation included with the remote. I haven't seen an electronic user guide yet either, though I am sure there is one. If my parents had bought this, I know they wouldn't have figured it out.

So far, my experience is largely positive. It seems to perform all the functions I bought it for. I know there are reliability problems reported, so I will be watching out for them.

For those wondering my devices are:

Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma
Pioneer 1015-TX receiver
Sony SLV-N750 VCR
Samsung 850 DVD player
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box
And, while not being controlled by the harmony, I have a Nintendo Wii and PS2 connected and added activities for switching to playing them.
I'll be connecting one or more CD players to the receiver soon as well.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful for anyone considering this remote!

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Glad you are enjoying...I'm going between this and the 1000...

question for you, re: the panny plasma, i have a 9uk series...did you have to program macros for the aspect ratios?

thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo16 View Post

Glad you are enjoying...I'm going between this and the 1000...

question for you, re: the panny plasma, i have a 9uk series...did you have to program macros for the aspect ratios?

thanks

No. When I added the "Watch CABLE" activity, one of the soft keys (by the screen) was set to aspect and toggles between the tv's (not the cable box's) various stretch and zoom modes. Since the TV has more options than the box, I found this to be preferable, but I really doubt I'll use the function much anyway. Not sure if this button is on by default for the other activities. Now if you want to automatically switch aspects for different activities, you'd probably have to configure it somehow. From what I hear this shouldn't be too difficult.

-John
Old 02-02-2007, 09:29 AM

perfect...thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just wanted to amend that I was looking at the web site today, and renaming an Acivity IS quite easy on the site. I am not sure what my problem was yesterday. Either I was having a brainfart, or the site was not behaving correctly (probably the former). I do still prefer the look of the regular software.

-John
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Another question for anyone else with one:

I'm a Mac household...one thing keeping me away from the 1000 is apparently, though it says it's mac compatiable, it isn't...so, hows the 890 with a mac?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM

I really want one of these to control my projector's equipment rack, but this thread isn't the first time I've heard complaints about the remote's build quality. Someone had a button fall off I believe.

For peace of mind I could get it at Costco, but it's $100 more than Amazon!

Also, does the remote work with X10 devices?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm using it with a PowerMac G4...works great. Less glitchy through the website than with the local software it seems, but I usually end up using the software.

Removing the IR reciever is a HUGE pain though. Thankfully, I think I'm finally done programming it.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 PM

@Soybean

I don't think it's X10 ready out of the box (although it IS Z-Wave ready) I would think you could program it from an X10 remote though...the learning capabilities are good.

Also, I'm not as down on the construction as pwr is. It is light...which i don't think is a bad thing, but I guess it does give it a fragile feeling. I've dropped it a couple times though on a wood floor (from around 2-3') and it's no worse for the wear...not even a scratch. Not something you want to leave around kids though, but that probably goes w/o saying.

I agree w/ pwrmetal about the # buttons though, it's unfortunate they're that far down...it's awkward to change channels..., but out of all the functions I use these the least anyway.

Panasonic TH-42PH9UK
Kenwood VR7070
Oppo 970
SA 8300HD
Old 02-02-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, here at the end of day 2, my honeymoon is over. Today I added a CD Jukebox as a 2nd RF device. Everything worked just fine. Went out tonight and came home and decided to watch some tv. Turned everything on and things were fine (remote turned on my receiver (via RF) with no issues). After a while decided it was bedtime and hit the off button. Everything turned off except the receiver. All of a sudden none of my RF devices (receiver or CD Jukebox) can be controlled. I changed nothing. It was working when I turned things on, and then just stopped. I have tried all the various troubleshooting suggestions and done several updates (my last ditch effort tonight is removing the CD Jukebox device). I'm giving up after this, but anticipate a long, painful, irritating call with Logitech support in the morning. I am quite bummed.

-John
Old 02-03-2007, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, sadly I have been upgraded to the dreaded "waiting for a call from tier 2 support" status. At least my initial waste of time call took less than 30 minutes. I am pretty sure that this will result in them shipping me a new extender and possibly a new remote. Looking at the devices, it's clear to me the remote thinks it's sending RF signals and that the RF extender just isn't receiving them even though they can connect to each other fine. I am guessing either the RF entender is broken or the remote's RF transmission capabilities are borked. I would definitely have to say "buyer beware" at this point since the RF functionality failed barely 24 hours after I got it. Guess I'll have to do some remote "pointing" for the forseeable future....

-John
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 AM

I'm having a tough time choosing between the same two options you were looking at:
a.) Harmony 880 + IR repeater for $X
b.) Harmony 890 for $(X + 43)

I don't know which way to go on this. I like the flexibility of RF in that you needn't point it at a sensor, and the potential to control lighting when I get around to installing control modules. On the other hand, I can save $43, plus reviews for the 880 seem more solid than the 890. The fact that yours just died is a warning sign too.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, essntially what I have right now IS an 880 until I get my issue resolved. I am thinking of finding a store with a generous return policy and picking up another extender today to see if that is the issue.

-John
Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am pleased to report I got the extender working again. I tried removing the extender from my list of remotes and then adding it back. After the update, this forced my remote to resync with it at startup (as opposed to me doing it through the system menu). I have no idea if this "auto" resync is better than the manual connect function, but it started working again afterwards. I also discovered due to my forgetting to plug in the emitter, that the RF extender blasts IR quite well. I had it sitting on my sub woofer sort of towards the side of my stero cabinet, and the receiver got commands beautifully. So I will probably be able to go without any emitters connected, which is nice. I am updating now with my CD Jukebox back in the mix (also as an RF device) so if all is well after this, I will return to being happy (with some worry) with my remote again.

EDIT: to update both (RF extender controlled) devices are working well again (knock on wood)!

-John
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger at Amazon for the 890. Gotta have the RF flexibility! Hope it works well for me.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Definitely experiment with the RF extender without the emitters. I actually have mine sitting on the cabinet to the side (towards the rear) of my receiver. The receiver gets commands and the CDJukebox which is on a shelf below the receiver gets commands without any of the IR emitters hooked up. Nice.

-John
Old 02-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Note for Pablo16 - I had the 1000... Returned it and bought an 890. The 1000 is beautiful - great eye candy. It looked great sitting on its stand. However, using a touch screen to control things like DVRs just doesn't feel "right" to me. I think this is something anyone trying to make this decision needs to consider. There is just something about the tactile feel of pressing a "real" button. It IS possible to program the few hard buttons on the 1000. But I much prefer having dedicated REC, FWD, REW, PLAY, etc. buttons on my remote.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, note that the 1000 does NOT include the RF Wireless Extender. So if you want to use components in a cabinet you'll have to buy the RF extender in addition to the 1000. The 890 DOES include the RF extender.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM

PWRMETAL: Can you tell me what button on the Harmony functions as the "last channel recall" button for your Panny? On the Panny remote, it is called "R-TUNE", located just to the left of the number 0 on the number pad.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"PREV" on the right side of the remote above the Channel up/down button.

-John
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmetal View Post

"PREV" on the right side of the remote above the Channel up/down button.

I'll have to go to Staples and get one of those "THAT WAS EASY" buttons!

Next, I have to find out what the MEDIA button does - although its not an issue right now. Maybe by the time I need it I'll have it figured out by then! I assume its for the MEDIA CENTER on computer, although I'm not sure why it would need its own button on the remote itself. Its a real pain paying all this money for a remote that doesn't come with instructions/manual!

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDi View Post

Next, I have to find out what the MEDIA button does

This one I had to look up on the user manual. (If you log into the logitech remote web page (same user id and password you use to log into the software) and look at the top of the page you'll see a link for the User Manual.)

For the media key it says:

Quote:

In the WATCH TV activity, press this button to view your Favorite Channels on the display.

-John
Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 PM

I received an 890 as a gift at Christmas. It's been a great addition to the household, but I have a configuration problem I'm wondering about. I have a Comcast DVR running into a Mits 65732. Last weekend I added a cablecard so that I can run the PIP (or side-by-side). The channel controls are running the DVR when I'm in TV watching mode. I can only control the channels on the TV (cablecard) by selecting the device "TV". Even then, the numbers only work if I'm not in PIP mode. In PIP, only the channel up/down keys change the cablecard channel. Does anyone have a similar setup? If so, any ideas on a better configuration? No problems at all controlling the other components.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:09 PM

I have an 890 and I love it. It controls our Panasonic Plasma, Yamaha Receiver, Panasonic DVD Player, and Directv HD DVR. Because all of the components are in a large closet (except for the Plasma).
Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

dcochran, I don't have a set up like yours, but I would suggest you go into that activity (in the software) and manually map some unused buttons to control the tv's channel up-down buttons (or map some screen buttons to do it). The #'s are going to be tricky. I think you'll have to choose one or the other for the numeric buttons for default use in the activity and then switch to the non default device to control the other.

-John
Old 02-07-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:

dcochran, I don't have a set up like yours, but I would suggest you go into that activity (in the software) and manually map some unused buttons to control the tv's channel up-down buttons (or map some screen buttons to do it). The #'s are going to be tricky. I think you'll have to choose one or the other for the numeric buttons for default use in the activity and then switch to the non default device to control the other.

Thanks. That's how it's set up now and may be the best option given the lack of something like a shift key to redeploy the numbers. I haven't figured out why the cablecard numbers don't work in PIP mode, but that may be a display-specific issue.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM

I purchased the 890 several months ago and have been very happy with it. However, I agree there are several things that would greatly improve it.

First, having to disconnect the IR blaster and take it to my computer every time I update my remote is a pain and even trivial updates that should only concern the remote require both to be updated.

Second, the all silver remote is fancy looking but definitely impedes on functionality. I would prefer a black remote with rubberized buttons that have key functions in bright colors. All Symbols should be enlarged so when the family comes for a visit reading glasses aren't required to use the remote. Key buttons such as channel up and down and volume up and down should be tripled in size. Rubberize the bottom of the remote so when I try to slide down to the lower button it doesn't shoot out of my hand like a wet bar of soap (no comments from you Bubba).

Third, the softkey screen should give the option of large text with no screen image. Once again, the parents won't be scrambling for their reading glasses.

That covers my main gripes. It does a great job of controlling my equipment (Sony 50" SXRD, Yamaha Receiver, Sony DVD Player, Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD Player and DLO Deluxe IPod dock). There is the occasional glitch where it doesn't turn something off but I usually find it catches the problem the first with the help button.

Also, a little tip I learned in getting the IR tips to stick to my equipment is to use a hot glue gun. You can also use it to tack down the wires and make them less noticable.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Definitely experiment with the RF extender without the emitters. I actually have mine sitting on the cabinet to the side (towards the rear) of my receiver. The receiver gets commands and the CDJukebox which is on a shelf below the receiver gets commands without any of the IR emitters hooked up. Nice.

I have a cabinet in which my equipment is located. It consists of Directv HD H20 receiver, Toshiba HD DVD and a Denon 2307 AVR.

I haven't done anything yet in the way of setting up my 890. The cabinet is enclosed and is about 2 feet by 4 feet inside dimension. The Satellite Receiver will be on one side of the cabinet interior and the AVR and HD DVD on the other. There is no inside partition between the two sides.

1. Do you think the blaster of the extender might do the job?
2. How sensitive is the placement of the extender?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaxon View Post

1. Do you think the blaster of the extender might do the job?
2. How sensitive is the placement of the extender?

I haven't really experimented much with placement. My cabinet holding the CD player is not enclosed. I have only had the extender in the position I detailed above (beside and towards the rear of the receiver which sits on the top shelf) and on my sub woofer which sits to the side of the cabinet. Things worked fine in either position. You can experiment around yourself and see what works for you. Thankfully moving the RF extender around and plugging/unplugging emitters doesn't require an update, unless you want to assign emitter points to specific pieces of hardware (to be controlled - which I never bothered with when I was still using them).

-John
Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo16 View Post

Another question for anyone else with one:

I'm a Mac household...one thing keeping me away from the 1000 is apparently, though it says it's mac compatiable, it isn't...so, hows the 890 with a mac?

Thanks.

Huh? The 1000 isn't mac compatible?! That's the first I've heard of this. Why? It doesn't use the online database? I mean, I also have an intel MBP, so I can do the windows way also. Just surprised really.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 PM

omg this is the most painful experience. the remote will not update no matter how much I try. Ive removed the battery, used the website instead of the local program, rebooted the machine a few times, still no go. maybe I got a defective remote?? unbelievable. rant over.