AVS Forum banner

IR/RF remote - projector screen problem

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  shah993 
#1 ·
I'm going to post this in a few forums, so I apologize if you find it more than once. Here's the problem:

I have a motorized projector screen but I believe the remote that comes with it is RF, and the universal learning remote I have is IR, so it can't learn the signal from the screen remote. This is important to me, because I want to set up a macro to have my screen drop, lights dim, and projector fire up all with one button. I suppose the only solution would be to find a new control box for my screen, or a new universal remote that learns RF signals as well as IR. Does anybody have any suggestions on good remotes or where I can find a new control box?

The screen is an off brand, sorry...I don't know the manufacturer. The remote is an Acoustic Research ARR1540. Thanks!

Zoso~

#3 ·
That pretty much narrows it down! That's what I needed though...thanks for your help. Does anybody know of where I can find an IR control box for my screen so I don't have to buy a whole new screen? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this problem.

#4 ·
Zoso,

I Have A Stewartscreen Trapdoor 100" Diagonal Electromask Screen. It Has Three Control Modules: One To Open/close The Trapdoor; One To Raise/lower The Screen; And One To Raise/lower The Upper Masking Screen. I Figured Out A Way To Use X-10 Universal Modules To Activate The First Two Controllers So That I Can Do Exactly What You Are Trying To Do. I Also Use X-10 Lamp Modules To Control 4 Table-type Lamps Around My Media Room. I Use The Harmony 890 Remote And Its Rf Extender And A X-10 Ir-543 Control Remote To Control The Lights And The Universal Modules. So, When I Hit The Activity ' Big Screen Movie', The Lights Dim, The Screen Trap Door Opens And The Screen Lowers, My 7 Channel Avr Turns On And Selects Dts Audio, The Secondary Avr That Powers My Bass Shakers Under The Viewing Sofa Turns On, The Power Outlet That Provides Power To My Ceiling Mounted Projector Is Activated, The Projector Is Given The Turn On Command, And My Home Theater Pc Is Told To Go To 'my Movies'. From There, The Viewer Can Select The Movie That They Want To Watch And Hit The Watch Button And Life Is Good. At The End, I Hit The Off Button On The Remote And Everything Undoes Itself. So Maybe You Should Find A Schematic For The Controller Of Your Screen And Figure Out Where You Need Relay Closure Type Signals To Perform The Functions That You Want To Perform, And See If You Could Use Some X-10 Devices To Perform Those Functions For You Using A Rf Remote With Receiver Talking Ir To Your Devices.

#5 ·
If your projector has a 12v trigger then the projector can trigger your screen.I have a Draper screen and the switch is available as an accessory.It can also be done with your processor.Global cache may also have something which may help though I am not sure.

#6 ·
I have a Panny AE900U, so the 12v trigger is out. The dealer I bought the screen from says he may be able to get an IR box from the manufacturer sometime in May, so I'll probably just wait and see what happens with that. I did find this little baby in my searches though, and I wanted to see what everybody thinks. It looks like what I'm looking for:

http://www.saaria.com/remoteU2/default.htm

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso /forum/post/0

I have a Panny AE900U, so the 12v trigger is out. The dealer I bought the screen from says he may be able to get an IR box from the manufacturer sometime in May, so I'll probably just wait and see what happens with that. I did find this little baby in my searches though, and I wanted to see what everybody thinks. It looks like what I'm looking for:

http://www.saaria.com/remoteU2/default.htm

Check out the draper screen site.They have an optional interface for rf and ir.Works well and save you a lot of hassle with screen adjustment etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.