Neat trick to hide IR flasher on Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a MRF-300 RF base station for my MX-900 remote to send IR signals to control all my gear which is mounted in the wall, off to the side of my home theater. I didn't want to point and press any more. The Panasonic plasma has nearly a 5 second startup delay before you can start switching inputs. So the macros are fairly long and can be messed up by not pointing the remote at the right angle so the IR hit's the TV. So rather than use IR from the remote to the TV and RF to the equipment, I decided to go all RF. This presented me with an asthetic delema. I would have to stick an ugly black IR blinker on the front of the silver plasma. I decided that painting the blinker silver to match the TV and sticking over the IR receiver window would be the best thing. So while I was laying on the floor looking up at the underside of the TV to route the wires, I got a "bright" idea. Looking through the ventilation slots in the bottom of the TV, I could see the PCB where the IR sensor was mounted. I thought it would be worth a shot to try cranking the IR output all the way up on the MRF-300 and flood IR into the area INSIDE the TV where the sensor was. It worked! It controls the TV perfectly. Now I don't have to look an an ugly IR flasher stuck to the front of my beloved plasma. Here's a picture of it:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which plasma is this? I have the 42PX600U and opened up the unit and fed the emitter through a vent hole in the back. If I had thought about your idea, that would have saved me some time!

Great idea!

-D
post #3 of 4 Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
It's a TH-50PX60U. I forgot to mention that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post

I got a MRF-300 RF base station for my MX-900 remote to send IR signals to control all my gear which is mounted in the wall, off to the side of my home theater. I didn't want to point and press any more. The Panasonic plasma has nearly a 5 second startup delay before you can start switching inputs. So the macros are fairly long and can be messed up by not pointing the remote at the right angle so the IR hit's the TV. So rather than use IR from the remote to the TV and RF to the equipment, I decided to go all RF. This presented me with an asthetic delema. I would have to stick an ugly black IR blinker on the front of the silver plasma. I decided that painting the blinker silver to match the TV and sticking over the IR receiver window would be the best thing. So while I was laying on the floor looking up at the underside of the TV to route the wires, I got a "bright" idea. Looking through the ventilation slots in the bottom of the TV, I could see the PCB where the IR sensor was mounted. I thought it would be worth a shot to try cranking the IR output all the way up on the MRF-300 and flood IR into the area INSIDE the TV where the sensor was. It worked! It controls the TV perfectly. Now I don't have to look an an ugly IR flasher stuck to the front of my beloved plasma. Here's a picture of it:

Thanks for the post. I'm going to try the same with my IR emitter from the RTI RP6 and will report back. I LOOOOOVE this TV btw! Great pic and I paid less than $1900 for the 50" - AMAZING

Jim

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page