URC MX 3000 Software Update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 167 Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at MX 3000 on ebay and before thoroughly researching the remote and its need of live updates, I purchased one (not an authorized dealer). I know I am putting the cart before the horse but is there a link or does someone have the latest software I may down load. Thanks Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 Old 04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is why I won't buy another URC remote. They do not support the end user, they only support authorized resellers/installers.

You'll have to find someone who is an authorized reseller to let you get the update from them. Or possibly a member here can forward it to you. The latest version I have is well over a year old and for my MX-850. I don't know if you can use it for the 3000 or not.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #3 of 167 Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

You've got a PM with the software.
Both of you

-brien
post #4 of 167 Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you brien for the PM w/ the software

Tom
post #5 of 167 Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Just buy from a decent seller and you're all set as far as software, I got mine from surfremote.com and they were excellent. I overpaid a little and they actually took the time to refund me some of the price and give me a shipping discount, talk about great CS. They offer discounts so you don't pay retail which is great
post #6 of 167 Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 PM

How do I get a copy of the software??

Thanks in advance!!

Monkey
post #7 of 167 Old 05-06-2007, 10:13 PM

Any chance you could PM me with the software too? Thanks.
post #8 of 167 Old 05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

You have to PM me. I can keep track of everything that way.
post #9 of 167 Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
PM sent!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #10 of 167 Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM

You have a PM!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post

You have to PM me. I can keep track of everything that way.

post #11 of 167 Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 PM

URC is so lame with this crap. Just search the web for completecontrolsuite.exe or .zip and you will find their software. They act like people break into their factory in china and sell their "pain in the butt" remote for $5 on ever street corner. I wish I went with the Harmony 1000!
post #12 of 167 Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Geez guys, I am in a bit of a bind. I have been using the Pronto Pro TSU7000 for a few years, but now have new equipment, BUT!!!! I am now using Windows Vista, and their software won't install unless I go back to XP (NOT!). So I went and tried the Harmony 1000, and though it does have Vista software and works ok, it is no where near as good at my Pronto.

So now I am on a search for the perfect remote and was thinking about this MX3000 - but reading all these horror stories about software support, I don't know I want it now And if I buy from Best Buy, WILL I HAVE SUPPORT? Does the software install in Windows Vista? Or is there a remote similar to my Pronto that someone could reccomend?
post #13 of 167 Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 AM

It's real simple, if you buy from an authorized reseller, you get the software.
If you buy from a fly by night operator, you don't.

URC is just trying to keep their dealers happy, since they have invested in training and stocking for the product. I don't see what the big deal is with the software, it is NOT designed for casual, one time use.

disclaimer: I sell URC, but I've never had anyone ask for the software. That's why they paid me, they didn't want to program it themselves.
post #14 of 167 Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger View Post

I don't see what the big deal is with the software, it is NOT designed for casual, one time use.

I don't think is completely true. The MX3000 is very hard to program, I'll give you that. It takes awhile for a first timer to be able to tap into the graphics engine on the remote.

But it can be done.

Question: What would you do if you were asked for the software?
post #15 of 167 Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 AM

I give them a copy of the actual programmed remote if requested, or if I think it would be difficult for someone else to recreate it if needed. Just burned 3 remotes worth on cd for a client friday and placed it with the final documentation. I doubt it will ever been used, but they have it just in case.

If they wanted the actual package, I'd let them have it, as long as it is understood I'm not responsible for the outcome. Any "tech support" calls would be billed accordingly. I doubt any of my folks would ever even try and relabel a button.

Your comments about the 3000 are absolutely correct, it's not easy to get started with, especially if you are talking to a 400 base station. But once you've done a few it's not too bad. My comments on casual use are based on the non-intuitive nature of the software, it's just not friendly for 1 timers or 1st timers.

BTW: Poor, are you on the NICO forums?

WRX: The URC software does NOT work in Vista today. They are still recoding for the new Mobile Device Center changes in Vista. So you'd need XP to program the 3000. If you are familiar with Pronto, the new 9600 is NICE. Might be easier to reuse your skills on that model. I missed the last training on it, but just playing around with it, it is VERY cool. Love the Escient integration out of the box.
post #16 of 167 Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WRX: The URC software does NOT work in Vista today. They are still recoding for the new Mobile Device Center changes in Vista. So you'd need XP to program the 3000. If you are familiar with Pronto, the new 9600 is NICE. Might be easier to reuse your skills on that model. I missed the last training on it, but just playing around with it, it is VERY cool. Love the Escient integration out of the box.

The problem I am finding now, is that I can't seem to find a retail store that sells the 9600. Any ideas for the Dallas, Texas area? When I go to the Phillips website, they only show a place called ADI, and there is no product literature there at all. Thnx
post #17 of 167 Old 05-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW: Poor, are you on the NICO forums?

Yep. You? I use this name on all forums
post #18 of 167 Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Well Poor,
I guess we should just get q45tech interested in projectors and remotes, he'd have all the answers.

WRX,
The 9600 is not in retail AFAIK, ADI is a distributor so that's why they don't have any lit.
PM me with your email and I'll see what I can dig up. I think I can just download it from the dealer site. To be honest, I haven't see any lit on it, but I've spent some time with the remote itself and it's damn nice. Especially if you already understand Pronto programming.
post #19 of 167 Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, here is a perfect example of too little, too late.

I had bought the MX3000 from Magnolia HT (Best Buy) over the holiday weekend. I was able to register it just fine (I thought) on their website and downloaded the software. Could not install the software on Windows Vista (won't allow Active Synch, uses a new system). Also found out this was NOT the live update SW. Even more problems was the handset woud not charge! So I went to return it. The salesman there was already to refund me because he talked to his installer, who informed him that I would not be able to get the correct software anyway. So I returned it, and got the Harmony 1000 again - but again hate it cause I have NO control over what is on most pages when in an activity likie I do with the TSU7000. So now, when I wake up Tuesday morning and check my E-Mail, Universal had sent me a message saying that yes, Magnolis IS a recogniced dealer, and sent me a link to the correct SW!

NOW what to do???? I have tried messing with the ProntoEdit SW, but its a real pain (and older as well), the Harmony is horrible. So, now that I CAN get the right software for the MX3000, can anyone tell me if it is any better than the TSU7000 I have now, and is the SW any bit easier to program with? I looked at the first version I got during the weekend, and it seems way much easier to import the IR codes into the pages, and I would imagine than the better live update version is better yet and more up to date? I just can't hack that Harmony, no matte how easy to just click away, and the Pronto is a pain
post #20 of 167 Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I personally find the MX Editor software to be more logical than Pronto's but if you ask 20 people you'll probably end in a split decision. It's really comes down to which one you get used to. Invest a few hours with either and you won't understand how you ever thought it was difficult. Before you re-purchase at Magnolia you may want to check out some of the online authorized dealers that support this forum because they'll provide the correct software immediately and be there for tech support. Not to mention that they'll also give you a better price if you ask nicely.
post #21 of 167 Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 AM

WRX,
As Jberger mentioned earlier, the MX3000 will not sync with Vista; the MX950 also has this problem. URC is apparently working on this but who knows how long it will take them to resolve it.
I have heard horror stories about purchasing URC products through Magnolia. Apparently most stores will not give you the updateable s/w but per your post it sounds like URC is finally taking care of this problem. I would personally take remoteshoppes recommendation and purchase through one of the online ad's. Just be sure to talk with them first and verify that they supply the updateable s/w; I'm sure the pricing will be much better.
post #22 of 167 Old 06-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Jim and Sunstar, you both give great advice, thank you very much!

As for the software, as I stated, URC stood behind their product and sent me the link stating that Magnolia is in fact a registered retail outlet, so now I have the correct software, just was too late for when I had the unit. And I will NOT give out the link or the sw, so folks, don't ask please.

Concerning the software, I did install it to take a peek at it, and it appears to me to actually be much better, and more updated (with codes!!!) than the Pronto editor. So for me to program the MX3000 looks to be way easier than the Pronto, cause unless someone has the codes I need at RemoteCentral for the Pronto, it would take me hours to program every button from 5 different remotes, into it. And that don't even include the discrete codes that it looks like the URC one has. So I am pretty much impressed with the live update for getting up to date codes, cause it looks like Pronto's last update was sometime back in 2006. As to the Active Synch problem, I think I might have that solved. I had bought a 2 GIG flash drive for Vista's ReadyBoost, but have since replaced it with a 4 GIG Corsair flash drive. So, I could install XP on the 2 GIG flash drive just for programming the MX3000, maybe??

And as I can not stand the limited funcionality of the Harmony 1000, the Pronto is outdated and harder to get the codes needed, looks like the MX just might be back in my hands again.

I know you both suggested buying online, and can appreciate all you said about that - but the local Magnolia's have them in stock, can get it the same day, and if I attempt to program it but end up throwing in the towel, they are right there to return it w/o messing with shipping and time lost. You dont know how many times a shipment was sent to me, needing my signature - but I am at work so can't. Thus it goes round and round as I try to get UPS to keep it at their center, and me find the time to drive quite a few miles to pick it up before they close. Its been a major hassle. But I will consider your suggestions. Again, thanks!
post #23 of 167 Old 06-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

May I ask why you are loking at the MX3000?

I used to work at tweeter. We used to get back about every 7 out of 10 3000s that were sold. People just couldn't get used to not have tactile feedback from the touchscreen.

Also, the 3000 is a lot harder to program then you think. It may have all the updated codes, but I'm telling you it will take you a very long time to access the full capabilities of the 3000.

I personally word recommend the MX-950
post #24 of 167 Old 06-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Hi Brien. Can i also get the software?

Thank you,
Chris
Quote:

You've got a PM with the software.
Both of you

-brien

If it's expensive, i'll buy it! (2004)
If it's expensive, i can't afford it! (2008)
post #25 of 167 Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not able to send the software anymore. If you pm me your email address I can help you with programming though
post #26 of 167 Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 AM

poormanq45,

I cannot for the life of me get the cable supplied to recognise my mx 950, or get liveupdate going. I'm using VIsta by the way. I am using in administrator mode but still no luck.

can you help me?
post #27 of 167 Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, the 3000 is a lot harder to program then you think. It may have all the updated codes, but I'm telling you it will take you a very long time to access the full capabilities of the 3000.

Is it really that hard to program?
If we compare to the MX-980?

Thanks,
Gui.
post #28 of 167 Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurean View Post

poormanq45,

I cannot for the life of me get the cable supplied to recognise my mx 950, or get liveupdate going. I'm using VIsta by the way. I am using in administrator mode but still no luck.

can you help me?

See the MX-950 thread. There is no way to get the MX-950 software to run on Vista. You'll have to install XP and run it in dual mode with XP.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #29 of 167 Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post

Is it really that hard to program?
If we compare to the MX-980?

Thanks,
Gui.

The greater freedom with graphics size and manipulation can make the MX-3000 more difficult to program. Also, macro programming is different than the 980, as it uses a spreadsheet where different things can occur simultaneously. Overall, I'd say it's slightly more difficult than the MX-980. You can set one up in a basic way pretty quickly (as you can with the MX-980), but as poorman said, it can take you a long time to fully access the capabilities of the MX-3000.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #30 of 167 Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM

I purchased the MX-3000 from Tweeter as a replacement for my Pronto TSU-1000 (1st gen Pronto). I've found the MX-3000 to be a snap to program but I am a software professional so your mileage may vary. The MX-3000 is moderately more complex than the the Pronto (variables are very handy for equipment that doesn't have discrete input among other things, and sometimes it can be a bit tricky to figure out the best way to send signal in a mixed RF/IR or multi-room installation).

What I find EXTREMELY irritating is that Tweeter wouldn't give me the updatable software, and that the software I downloaded from URC's website is not updateable and today after downloading the software again in hopes of an update, the editor version is no different than what I got 8 months ago. I'm going to have to call them and convince them to send me the updateable software. The policy is absurd.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Universal Remote Complete Control Mx 3000 Ir Rf Color Touch Screen Remote Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page