Harmony remotes and PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So im looking into getting a harmony remote and I do have a PS3. I'm looking into getting either the 670 or 880, any opinions on those would be greatly appreciated as well. I know since the ps3 is bluetooth that the remote wont work with it. I have 2 questions though

1. Will the remote at least turn on the ps3 at all??

2. if it cant turn on the ps3, by putting in the codes for it, will it at least turn on my tv, put it on the right input(HDMI) and put my surround system on, and put it on the right video input

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I just got the 890 and also have a PS3, with a similar setup that you have: TV, A/V receiver, etc.

1. Out of the box, the 880/890 will NOT be able to turn the PS3 on or off. The reason is the same that you cited, PS3 uses bluetooth from the controller to turn it on and off. The 880/890 is IR, thus it cannot send the correct command to the PS3.

2. However, the Harmony will do everything else that you stated, and that's how my remote works now. I have a "Play PS3" activity on the remote, which, when pressed, turns on the TV and A/V receiver, sets all the proper inputs on the TV and receiver, and away I go. One button press and the system is ready minus having the PS3 on.

One positive development recently is that Nyko has released an IR-based remote for the PS3 which includes an IR receiver that you plug into a USB port on the PS3. This would enable us to use that Nyko remote to "teach" the Harmony remote all of the PS3 commands, and with an IR receiver then the Harmony could control the PS3 for movie watching or XMB navigation.

The only unknown with the Nyko remote is if it replicates the PS button functionality (used to turn the unit on/off mostly). I would hope that it does, but I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Take a look at this thread, as well as the other one on this forum.

Unfortunately, the Nyko remote doesn't have the PS button on it.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page