post #1 of 13 Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

My MX-500 got accidentally dropped after which the backlight button no longer works and there seems to be something loose inside the remote; there are no visible screws on the casing so I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how I would go about opening it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the same problem for a year now. Not sure how to fix it.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you have an older MX-500, the backlight button often broke over time. You can open it up and fix it, but you'd be better off to give URC a calll at 800-901-0800 and send it in to them for proper repair. I think they charge about $15-20 for the backlight repair.

If you must do it yourself, the way to open the MX-500 is to grasp the top and bottom of the remote with each hand, then twist each end in opposite directions to pop the snaps between the two halves of the case. This is not easy and you'll have to twist it so hard you'll think you're going to break it (and you may if you're strong enough), so it's not recommended.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #4 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM

You can also use a really thin flat head screwdriver with risk of marring the edges (you probably will). Wrap some tissue around the end, insert where the top and bottom meet until there's some daylight in between, and twist. Repeat until all the clips are free.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

I felt brave and decided to open up the the mx-500. First step is to remove the batteries. Second, pry the end opposite from the IR sensor using a flat-head screwdriver, then along the sides until it pops open. It WILL mar the plastic, but try to insert the screwdriver as far as you can to minimize the damage.

I think the internal light switch fell off with excessive use, because it is held by only the soldered joints. There's no brace to hold it in place. Check out the pix attached.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #6 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

If you have an older MX-500, the backlight button often broke over time. You can open it up and fix it, but you'd be better off to give URC a calll at 800-901-0800 and send it in to them for proper repair. I think they charge about $15-20 for the backlight repair.

If you must do it yourself, the way to open the MX-500 is to grasp the top and bottom of the remote with each hand, then twist each end in opposite directions to pop the snaps between the two halves of the case. This is not easy and you'll have to twist it so hard you'll think you're going to break it (and you may if you're strong enough), so it's not recommended.

My MX-500 developed the same problem recently, and, after finding these posts, I called the 800 number above. URC will indeed attempt to fix it, but the price quoted to me was $75 - and you can probably find a new one on-line for that amount. Problem with the new ones is that the backlight is dimmer, with poorer contrast and less sharp lettering. So it's pretty much a lose/lose proposition.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 AM

I discovered my remote rattling this morning and confronted my kids and my seven year old daughter said that she slammed the remote when she was angry with her mom.

Since the backlight no longer works, I suspect that this what happened. I think I might open it up to re-solder the switch.

Gary
Toronto, Canada
post #8 of 13 Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Google is your friend. See this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912876
post #9 of 13 Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsfield View Post

Google is your friend. See this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912876

Kinda brings us right back to this thread, doesn't it?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-05-2010, 03:01 PM

I too have had the EXACT same failure. I really appreciate the prior posts and photos. I opened the case and sure enough that new rattle stopped as soon as the light switch fell out. After resoldering all is working perfectly!
post #11 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM

I had no light and a rattle-y remote but when I opened it up, it looked different from the pics here. The light switch in mine has its button parallel to the board and there's a little arm on the outer light button that rocks and pushes down on the switch. There weren't any discernible solder lugs on the switch - it looks surface mounted. So, no joy for me. Oh well, the rattle's gone (it was one of the screws that attach the board to the front cover) and the remote still does its remote action.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrHix View Post

I had no light and a rattle-y remote but when I opened it up, it looked different from the pics here. The light switch in mine has its button parallel to the board and there's a little arm on the outer light button that rocks and pushes down on the switch. There weren't any discernible solder lugs on the switch - it looks surface mounted. So, no joy for me. Oh well, the rattle's gone (it was one of the screws that attach the board to the front cover) and the remote still does its remote action.

I have the same issue as mrhix, loose screw was rattle, but backlight went out at same time, surface mount switch looks ok, anyone find a solution to this version?
post #13 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM

The backlight is powered from some contacts at the bottom of the remote. In mine, the boss that one of the screws went into at the bottom of the remote broke.

This prevented the backlight from making full contact. I put in some hard foam where the screws used to be and snapped the remote back together. Amazingly, everything is working!
Reply Remote Control Area