Remote Code for Logitech Z-5500 Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I would like to connect my Logitech Z-5500 speakers to my Sony Av3000 Universal Remote but I am having trouble finding out the code for the speakers. I have looked through google and I am unable to find it. If anyone knows it please help

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I doubt the Sony has the Logitech speakers in it's code database. Can't you learn the commands from the original remote?
post #3 of 27 Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

The AV3000 can learn buttons from the remote but I need to have it linked to the speakers console to be able to use those buttons. Reading through the Instruction Guide it says nothing about learning remote codes from the components themselves
post #4 of 27 Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 PM

hi,

does anyone have this code for the logitech z-5500 speaker system? i want to program my comcast remote with it. thanks.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokidd View Post

hi,

does anyone have this code for the logitech z-5500 speaker system? i want to program my comcast remote with it. thanks.

Do you have the silver remote with the RED "Select/OK" button or the one with the grey button?
post #6 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM

i have the comcast remote with the red "ok/select" button. could you help me out?
post #7 of 27 Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofogo View Post

i have the comcast remote with the red "ok/select" button. could you help me out?

According to the upgrade file for the speaker at JP1 remote site, it uses NEC1 protocol, device #8 , and subdevice #8. There is a setup code in the new Comcast remote (like yours) that matches that protocol, but it's for a TV (TV/11958), and you have to program in all the functions using advanced codes. Try the following to see if it works.

First set the TV mode (not AUX) temporarily to TV/11958 (make sure you know what setup code you originally had for your TV so you can set it back after the test).

Then press and release SETUP and then point the remote to the speaker's ir sensor and type 44517 on the remote's keypad. When you press the last digit, the speaker should power on or off. If that works (try a couple of times if it doesn't work, just to make sure you typed the numbers correctly and in time), you can program that and other functions on the AUX mode by doing the following:

First set the AUX to accept TV setup code:
1. Press and hold SETUP until the remote blinks twice
2. Type 992
3. Press and release TV device key
4. Press and release AUX device key

Now, set the AUX to setup code 11958

Finally, you need to program each of the function using advanced codes. For example to program the power function:

1. Press and release AUX
2. Press and hold SETUP until the remote blinks twice
3. Type 994
4. Press and release SETUP
5. Type 44517
6. Press and release POWER

The remote should blink twice and now power should work. For the other functions repeat steps 2-6 using the advanced code below in step 5 and pressing the key you want to assign the function to in step 6.

Test = 61669
Power = 44517
Direct = 28645
Optical = 29669
Coax = 27877
Effect = 12517
Settings = 13029
Sub + = 62437
Sub - = 61925
Center + = 61413
Center - = 61157
Surround + = 60901
Surround - = 60645
Volume + = 12261
Volume - = 28389
Mute = 44773
post #8 of 27 Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 PM

holy crap that is a lot of steps, at least if I wanted to program all functions to it. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the reply.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

holy crap that is a lot of steps, at least if I wanted to program all functions to it. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the reply.

That's why I suggest trying the test in the beginning first. Actually, you can test any of the advanced codes by setting the TV setup code to 11958 and pressing SETUP and then the advanced code to test the function.

The reason why there are so many steps is because you are "borrowing" a setup code that happens to use the same ir signals as what the speaker uses and reprogramming all the functions for it. If you have a JP1.3 cable, you would be able to use upload that upgrade file above to the remote using a computer, instead of typing in all those codes.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 PM

hmm...seems that it has created more problems than it has fixed. The volume up and down worked fine mapping it to the volume buttons, but the other ones such as power, optical, coax, and direct seem to have mapped but they don't actually do the operation. The receiver blinks like it is recognizing that I'm pushing a button but it doesn't do it.

Also, it has limited the ability of the remote to operate the TV like it did before. Power button, volume and changing the input have all lost functionality now, even after using the original setup code I used to make it operate the TV.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hmm...seems that it has created more problems than it has fixed. The volume up and down worked fine mapping it to the volume buttons, but the other ones such as power, optical, coax, and direct seem to have mapped but they don't actually do the operation. The receiver blinks like it is recognizing that I'm pushing a button but it doesn't do it.

Did you first set the AUX to accept TV setup codes and the set the setup code for AUX to 11958? Try sending the advanced codes directly in AUX mode by pressing SETUP and then the advanced codes for those functions to see if they work.

Quote:

Also, it has limited the ability of the remote to operate the TV like it did before. Power button, volume and changing the input have all lost functionality now, even after using the original setup code I used to make it operate the TV.

That sounds like maybe you programmed some keys on the TV mode. Do the following to remove all advanced code programming on the TV mode.
1. Press and hold SETUP
2. Type 994
3. Press and release TV, twice.
That should clear any advanced code programming just in the TV mode and all the keys should be back to default.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Did you first set the AUX to accept TV setup codes and the set the setup code for AUX to 11958? Try sending the advanced codes directly in AUX mode by pressing SETUP and then the advanced codes for those functions to see if they work.

Yeah, I did the steps like you said. I even cleared out both the AUX and TV with the 994 code and at least reset the volume back to the logitech receiver but the remote is still not taking anything else so far. As far as reclaiming the TV functionality, I was using the wrong remote codes b/c I had the wrong model number.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupakai View Post

According to the at JP1 remote site, it uses NEC1 protocol, device #8 , and subdevice #8. There is a setup code in the new Comcast remote (like yours) that matches that protocol, but it's for a TV (TV/11958), and you have to program in all the functions using advanced codes. Try the following to see if it works.

I don't know how you found all that info, and sorry for trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about almost the same setup.

I have a comcast DVR remote (gray OK button though) and the Logitech Z-5500 system. I have it connected to the TV using digital coax. I was expecting that the comcast remote, programmed to change the TV's volume, would therebye control the speaker system's volume, but that's not the case.

So my question is, can I individually program the volume button on the comcast remote, so that, when set to cable mode, it controls the logitech's volume?

When you hit the volume button when in cable mode, the remote uses the TV mode volume control, so clearly the remote can switch modes on the fly for special buttons. Can I program the AUX button on the remote for the Z-5500 and then somehow have the remote use the AUX settings for volume?

Thanks for any help!
post #14 of 27 Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM

I am in a similar boat as above.

I have a Comcast 3-in-1 remote with the gray ok/select.

I just recently purchased the Logitech Z5500 speaker system. I really would like to get this controlled by my Comcast remote(s) as I have three of them within the house and all users have grown quite comfortable in using them. Switching to a Harmony would be costly and annoying to control just three devices (TV/STB/Sound).

When I try to go through some of the steps in Kupakai's post #7, I get an invalid code long blink or nothing. Now I realize that his post was for a slightly different Comacast remote, so it may not apply directly to what I have.

I also have tried to set an 1408 or 142x code as seen from a post on Logitech's forum, but same thing happens when entering both under the AUX button. I get the long single blink for invalid code.

Anyone have any more thoughts or glimmer of hope for me?
post #15 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post

I am in a similar boat as above.

I have a Comcast 3-in-1 remote with the gray ok/select.

I just recently purchased the Logitech Z5500 speaker system. I really would like to get this controlled by my Comcast remote(s) as I have three of them within the house and all users have grown quite comfortable in using them. Switching to a Harmony would be costly and annoying to control just three devices (TV/STB/Sound).

When I try to go through some of the steps in Kupakai's post #7, I get an invalid code long blink or nothing. Now I realize that his post was for a slightly different Comacast remote, so it may not apply directly to what I have.

I also have tried to set an 1408 or 142x code as seen from a post on Logitech's forum, but same thing happens when entering both under the AUX button. I get the long single blink for invalid code.

Anyone have any more thoughts or glimmer of hope for me?

There isn't a code that will work with the speaker built in to the remote. However, you can get a JP1.2 cable to hook up the remote to a PC to make it a PC programmable remote. You can then upload the upgrade file I linked to above to control the speakers.

If you don't want to get the cable, there's a remote possibility another code might work. The upgrade file I linked to above says the speaker uses NEC1 protocol, but there is a built in setup code that uses something similar but not exact NECx1 protocol. If the speaker's ir is not picky enough, it might work. Try setting the TV setup code to TV/0180 (remember what you have originally for the TV so you can set it back after this test. If you don't remember the code for your TV, there's instructions in the manual on how to get the remote to blink back the codes for you to jot down), then in TV mode, press and release SETUP and the type 00117 and see if that powers the speaker. If that works, I post the rest of the advanced codes, and instruction on how to permanantly set those to your remote.
post #16 of 27 Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the response. I programmed the TV to 0180 and verified it with the 990 command.

Then I pressed TV then one blink on Setup and 00117 and then pressed the PWR button. No change on the Logitech Z5500. Repeated the process one more time and no response with numerous PWR button presses.

I have been Googling like crazy regarding this issue with no success...

I am willing to spring for a JP1.2 cable. But what is entailed in the process? Is it pretty straight forward or is it a lot more trial and error? Reason I ask is while I don't want to dump a lot of money into fancy remotes... I don't want to kill a lot of time and some additional sanity chasing the dangling carrot. Kind of a Catch 22 but I don't want to be penny-wise and dollar-foolish.

If what I previously described is easily accomplished once I possess a JP1.2 cable, then I am game.

Otherwise maybe someone can recommend a URC remote or cheaper Harmony that will get me to my goal with less hassle. I think the Harmony 550 would accompolish my goal, but to buy three at roughly $100 a piece seems a little outlandish when the people using them generally won't have any appreciation of it.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, with the procedure I outlined, you press SETUP-0-0-1-1-7 and when you press the last "7", a signal would be sent, so point the remote then (no need to press power after that). That procedure is used to test the advanced codes. As I said, there's an outside chance that might work, but see if that works if you hadn't pointed the remote when you pressed "7".
post #18 of 27 Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 PM

Ahhh.. Gotcha. Tried it and no difference.
post #19 of 27 Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Ended up purchasing a Sony RM-VL600 Learning Remote Control. Set me back $25+tax for a single unit. GE has a 5 function learning remote for $13, but it was smaller overall with smaller controls to match. Not a good choice for users with arthritic hands. Those were the only two Learning remotes at my local Target store. Could have chased around more but my area got a fair amount of snow today, so my interest in chasing in circles was low. Normally I won't buy a Sony product, but a remote control is one of the few exceptions to the rule. If I had found a similar Philips or some other brand I certainly would have jumped ship.

Currently I believe I have the Sony configured to do 99% of what I use on a given day under the Cable command button. Now the big part is to see if the two other users can handle the switch to this remote. Hopefully so, because I really want to nip this one and hopefully use these remotes for another 5 years or more.

I'll keep my eye on this thread if anyone else happens to solve the Comcast/Logitech puzzle.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
See this thread for directions on how to manually program the Comcast remote with a red OK/Select button so that it controls the Z-5500.
post #21 of 27 Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 PM

I found the code for my Cogeco Remote (click to see picture) to control the Logitech z5500 Speakers - this is what I did.

Press the AUD button (for audio)

press and hold the setup button till it blinks twice

Press 1370 and it should blink twice if it worked (it did for me)

tho oddly, the buttons are weird, when I press the power button, it changes the surround sound option (lowering it) and in order to turn the speaker on/off, I have to press the "Last" button on the remote - but im happy I can at least turn it on/off without having to use the logitech remote or having to always go up to it ^^

If anyone knows how I can change the buttons tho so that by pressing the red power button will actually turn on/off the speaker, that would be great ^^
post #22 of 27 Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkz Jr View Post
I found the code for my Cogeco Remote (click to see picture) to control the Logitech z5500 Speakers - this is what I did.

Press the AUD button (for audio)

press and hold the setup button till it blinks twice

Press 1370 and it should blink twice if it worked (it did for me)

tho oddly, the buttons are weird, when I press the power button, it changes the surround sound option (lowering it) and in order to turn the speaker on/off, I have to press the "Last" button on the remote - but im happy I can at least turn it on/off without having to use the logitech remote or having to always go up to it ^^

If anyone knows how I can change the buttons tho so that by pressing the red power button will actually turn on/off the speaker, that would be great ^^

try the following:

1. aud
2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 4
4. tap SETUP for one blink
5. press LAST key
6. press POWER
post #23 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

try the following:

1. aud
2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 4
4. tap SETUP for one blink
5. press LAST key
6. press POWER

Tried it a couple of times, it didn't switch ^^
post #24 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkz Jr View Post

Tried it a couple of times, it didn't switch ^^

On some UEI made remotes you can't do anything with power key, no learning or advanced code mapping, just whatevers mapped via the preset codes, sorry.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Thank you for posting this. I managed to get this to work perfectly with my comcast remote.

I just swtiched to Verizon FiOS and now I need to program my new remote with the Logitech codes. How can I individually program these codes on the FiOS remote? Is this possible?

Thank again!
post #26 of 27 Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Since the FiOS remote can't learn or take individual function codes, there's nothing you can do. I recommend getting an RCA RCRP05B and program it for your speakers like you did with your cable remote and use is for FiOS as well (I think it's cable code 2378). You also gain learning and macros which the FiOS remote can't do.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 AM

Use this website - everything worked first time for me and I am more than excited to get rid of another remote.

http://dranem05.blogspot.com/2013/07/programming-comcast-xfinity-remote-to.html

Directions are really we laid out.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Speaker Systems , Logitech Z 5500 Thx Certified 5 1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System , Sony Rm Av3000 Universal Remote Control With Touch Key Lcd Screen
Gear in this thread - Av3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page