Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New owner -- overall love the remote...

1) Can I get rid of the "Remote Assistant" messages that I have to scroll through every time I start an "Activity". In other words, I have a satellite HD DVR (DirectV HR20) and a cablebox (SA 8300 HD DVR) I routinely switch between. The activity button works fine but before I can control the devices, all of these other messages come up you must "OK" through in order to use the remote. Its tedious for me but I can live with it, but its a "showstopper" for the "boss"

2) Anyone have an overview of which buttons do what for the HR20?? For example, the "jump back" function? For now, I still use the HR20 remote for many things because I can't figure out where the functions are on the Harmony (not on the main remote OR in the "device" list).

3) Similar for the SA 8300 -- button layout? For example, "jump back"?

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. It should ask if you want to "hide" it after a couple of activity switches after updating. If it doesn't do that for whatever reason, you can turn it off under "preferences" in the software.

2. Here's how mine is set up for my HR20 (w/ a H/K AVR 347 and a Panny 58PZ700U):

Standard Buttons
Mute - AVR - Mute
Volume Up - AVR - VolumeUp
Volume Down - AVR - VolumeDown
Down Arrow - Satellite - ChannelDown
Up Arrow - Satellite - ChannelUp
Channel Down - Satellite - ChannelDown
Channel Up - Satellite - ChannelUp
Prev - Satellite - ChannelPrev
Up - Satellite - DirectionUp
Down - Satellite - DirectionDown
Left - Satellite - DirectionLeft
Right - Satellite - DirectionRight
OK - Satellite - Select
Menu - Satellite - Menu
Exit - Satellite - Exit
Guide - Satellite - Guide
Info - Satellite - Info
Stop - Satellite - Stop
Skip Back - Satellite - SkipBackward
Skip Forward - Satellite - SkipForward
Play - Satellite - Play
Record - Satellite - Record
Rewind - Satellite - Rewind
Fast Forward - Satellite - FastForward
Pause - Satellite - Pause
1 - Satellite - 1
2 - Satellite - 2
3 - Satellite - 3
4 - Satellite - 4
5 - Satellite - 5
6 - Satellite - 6
7 - Satellite - 7
8 - Satellite - 8
9 - Satellite - 9
Plus - Satellite - "-"
0 - Satellite - 0
E - Satellite - NumberEnter

Additional Buttons Page 1
Now Playing List - Satellite - List
Red - Satellite - Red
Aspect Ratio - TV - Aspect
Green - Satellite - Green
Sat Format - Satellite - Format
Yellow - Satellite - Yellow
Back - Satellite - Back
Blue - Satellite - Blue

Additional Buttons - Page 2
TV Menu - TV - Menu
TV Up - TV - DirectionUp
TV Enter - TV - Select
TV Down - TV - DirectionDown
TV Return - TV - Return
TV Left - TV - DirectionLeft
TV Info - TV - Display
TV Right - TV - DirectionRight

3. Don't have an SA 8300, so I don't know.

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THANKS!!! So "SkipBackward" is supposed to work -- I'll try again, but I don't think so on mine???

Also, I will get rid of Remote Assistant in Preferences and see if I like that better....
post #4 of 19 Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous View Post

THANKS!!! So "SkipBackward" is supposed to work -- I'll try again, but I don't think so on mine???

Also, I will get rid of Remote Assistant in Preferences and see if I like that better....

It worked on mine, but if worse comes to worse, you can always "learn" it.

--Mav

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-26-2007, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The "skip" buttons you outlined above do not work on my Harmony -- are you sure they work on the main display or are you describing the "Skip Back" that's in the "device" menu??
post #6 of 19 Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

What I outlined above is precisely how my button setup appears in the software when looking at the button layout for the "Watch DirecTV" Activity (not when looking at the HR20 device menus). The above description is laid out as follows: [Button] - [Device] - [Command], so for Skip Back, the Button is [Skip Back], the Device is [Satellite], and the Command is [SkipBackward]. I have an HR20-700. I hope that helps.

--Mav

post #7 of 19 Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The "skip" buttons you outlined above do not work on my Harmony -- are you sure they work on the main display or are you describing the "Skip Back" that's in the "device" menu??

You might have to assign some commands yourself. They aren't all done automatically during the setup.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

You might have to assign some commands yourself. They aren't all done automatically during the setup.

Sorry, I should have made that more clear. That is how my buttons are set up after I specifically assigned them in the "customize buttons" section of the "Watch DirecTV" Activity portion of the software. Most of them are set up automatically, but several of them needed to be specifically assigned (particularly, the "Additional Buttons"). If memory serves, the Standard Buttons I had to specifically assign was "skip forward", "skip backwards", and the "+/Clear" button.

Sorry for the confusion.

--Mav

post #9 of 19 Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

Ahaaaaa!!! That explains it....thanks!!
post #10 of 19 Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster2 View Post

Sorry, I should have made that more clear. That is how my buttons are set up after I specifically assigned them in the "customize buttons" section of the "Watch DirecTV" Activity portion of the software. Most of them are set up automatically, but several of them needed to be specifically assigned (particularly, the "Additional Buttons"). If memory serves, the Standard Buttons I had to specifically assign was "skip forward", "skip backwards", and the "+/Clear" button.

Sorry for the confusion.

--Mav

OK!! It appears the skip forward works already, but the skip backward does not...will try to "assign"...sorry, this remote is brand new to me!!
post #11 of 19 Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

I recently got teh 890 and I have been programing it for a few days. What I can not figure out is how to re-arrange my device page? Also, I would like to be able to more easily re-arrange the buttons for each device, so that the power buttons are on the top of the very first page. I know that you can arrow up or down, but if you have something a couple of pages deep, it's kind of a pain.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speters View Post

I recently got teh 890 and I have been programing it for a few days. What I can not figure out is how to re-arrange my device page? Also, I would like to be able to more easily re-arrange the buttons for each device, so that the power buttons are on the top of the very first page. I know that you can arrow up or down, but if you have something a couple of pages deep, it's kind of a pain.

You can't rearrange the list of devices. This doesn't really matter as you should almost never need to select an individual device anyway...and you should NEVER use device mode to power things on or off...this is what Activities are for. Changing things outside of activities will confuse Smart State.

Concentrate on setting up your Activities properly and forget about device mode.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Here are a list of my devices:

Theta Casablanca III
DVDO VP50 Pro (video processor)
Motorola 6412 (cable)
Zenith SAT HD-520 (sat)
Toshiba HD A30 (hd dvd)
JVC 5U (DVHS)
Denon 3910 with sdi mod (dvd)
Sony ES9000 (with VSE level 5 mod) this is used for listening to cd's

I have not had enough time to play around with it yet, but lets say I am watching cable and then I decided I want to listen to a cd. If I selec the "Listen CS" activity, will the remote realize that my preamp is already on so that it doesn't think that it has to power up my Theta? So far all of my activities appear to be created from the point that everything is off. I want to be able to simply switch from watching cable to watching a dvd or the satellite and I don't want to have everything keep turning off and on.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here are a list of my devices:

Theta Casablanca III
DVDO VP50 Pro (video processor)
Motorola 6412 (cable)
Zenith SAT HD-520 (sat)
Toshiba HD A30 (hd dvd)
JVC 5U (DVHS)
Denon 3910 with sdi mod (dvd)
Sony ES9000 (with VSE level 5 mod) this is used for listening to cd's

I have not had enough time to play around with it yet, but lets say I am watching cable and then I decided I want to listen to a cd. If I selec the "Listen CS" activity, will the remote realize that my preamp is already on so that it doesn't think that it has to power up my Theta? So far all of my activities appear to be created from the point that everything is off. I want to be able to simply switch from watching cable to watching a dvd or the satellite and I don't want to have everything keep turning off and on.

Yes, that's the whole point of a Harmony and "Smart State". It has state memory so it knows what devices it has already turned on, and won't try to turn them on again.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

How do I use a .ccf file with the 890? Some one has posted a .ccf for the discrete codes for the VP50.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How do I use a .ccf file with the 890? Some one has posted a .ccf for the discrete codes for the VP50.

There are heaps of discretes for that device in the database already. Have you tried them and found they don't work? Or are there some missing?
post #17 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Where do you find this database, because the things that I need are not listed when I go to to the custom buttons page. Also, how do I program a script? For my satellite I need to create a script that would change the resolution from 480I to 1080I. To do this you have to first press the SD button, arrow right, enter. I do not see any way to do this?
post #18 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where do you find this database, because the things that I need are not listed when I go to to the custom buttons page. Also, how do I program a script? For my satellite I need to create a script that would change the resolution from 480I to 1080I. To do this you have to first press the SD button, arrow right, enter. I do not see any way to do this?

I just added the device to my account and looked at the "Additional buttons" page for the device (these would be on the remote LCD screen when you select "Device" then "Video processor". There are discretes listed for power on and off, and heaps of inputs.

For the script (called a "sequence" in Harmony-speak)...you create these in the activity, not the device. Look under "Customize buttons" for the Activity...there should be an option for "Create sequence".
post #19 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK!! It appears the skip forward works already, but the skip backward does not...will try to "assign"...sorry, this remote is brand new to me!!

Just to report in as the OP, everyting is up and running great!!! Thanks to all for help....
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page