URC MX-810 problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 11-16-2007, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a MX-810 a few days ago and the appearance, layout, and build quality seem to be quite nice. I bought this to replace a Harmony 880 which I had very briefly and returned after finding the layout almost unusable. Now if I could only get the MX-810 to actually work!

A couple of issues I've run into so far. The device is not plug and play so you need to install the driver before a PC will see it. One loaded, the software recognizes the device correctly and says it is connected. Programming appeared to go smoothly including choices for multiple Tivo remote addresses but when finished I hit Send to remote and a dialog pops up that says Unable to obtain model ID.

Also, each time I launch the software it reports that updates are available and after downloading and relaunching, it reports updates are available again and the cycle repeats. This occurred a half dozen times or so on launches but no longer finds updates. Odd.

Any help getting the "send to remote" function to work would be much appreciated.

rcliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the software?

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #3 of 30 Old 11-16-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did but perhaps it doesn't like my install directory. I'll try it with the default.

rcliff
post #4 of 30 Old 11-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Hey rcliff,

I had the same exact problem. After talking with Tech Support, they had me do an Erase and Reset, then it worked fine.

Hold down "Devices" and "ENT" at the same time until you see the Settings Menu.
Page Right
Select "Erase and Reset"
Click "Erase"
After this completes your problem should be resolved, or at least mine was.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-01-2007, 12:45 PM

I need to recant the above. I still get it. However, if I keep sending eventually it takes.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 AM

after messing with this thing for two days (and having programmed numerous other remotes over the years) I finally have this thing setup to work at about 60% reliability. All of my components work with this thing well except for my Philips rear projection HD TV....the power command and input selection command does not work acceptably within any activity. I've tried the usual fixes such as moving emitter, verifying zero RFI at ID#0, using many different combinations of delays (for button presses as well as during macro activations), and even adding ferrite cores to no avail. Other attempts to solve the problem including learning the IR codes manually, trying alternative preloaded codes, noving the basestation away from components, and tearing my hair out, didn't help either.

I also found better success using Windows XP (until I switched from Vista, I was fairly confident I had bricked it)

Thanks for any suggestions.

FYI, I used to have my system running just fine with a Harmony 1000 (although this one ran at about 85% reliability)
post #7 of 30 Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedog View Post

after messing with this thing for two days (and having programmed numerous other remotes over the years) I finally have this thing setup to work at about 60% reliability. All of my components work with this thing well except for my Philips rear projection HD TV....the power command and input selection command does not work acceptably within any activity. I've tried the usual fixes such as moving emitter, verifying zero RFI at ID#0, using many different combinations of delays (for button presses as well as during macro activations), and even adding ferrite cores to no avail. Other attempts to solve the problem including learning the IR codes manually, trying alternative preloaded codes, noving the basestation away from components, and tearing my hair out, didn't help either.

I also found better success using Windows XP (until I switched from Vista, I was fairly confident I had bricked it)

Thanks for any suggestions.

FYI, I used to have my system running just fine with a Harmony 1000 (although this one ran at about 85% reliability)

For some reason with the 810 I always found that the first time I used an activity it would never work properly. I would hit help and go through turn on all the components, switch to the right inputs, etc, and after that the activity would work properly. It's wierd but it was only the first time using the activity after programming it that it would do this.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you are running vista right click the URC icon and run as administrator that should fix your problems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Samsung UN75-F6400 | Denon 2313CI | Def Tech BP8060 | Def Tech CS8060 | Def Tech SR8080 

post #9 of 30 Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJ View Post

If you are running vista right click the URC icon and run as administrator that should fix your problems

Does the 810 software work with vista. I couldn't get vista to recognize the remote via usb for the life of me. The software loaded fine and I could program fine. Does vista recognize urc remotes now?
post #10 of 30 Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

I got my remote the week it hit the consumer market and have never had any problems installing the driver with vista, it recognizes it as a different model (cant remember which at the moment) but it works none the less. The only issue I had was with updates as stated in this thread, but if you runn the software as administrator it will solve that problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Samsung UN75-F6400 | Denon 2313CI | Def Tech BP8060 | Def Tech CS8060 | Def Tech SR8080 

post #11 of 30 Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Just an update for those interested ... the new MX810 software (updated earlier this week) added Vista 64 support. Finally!! The program auto updates when you open it.

I had to add the driver manually, but now Vista 64 recognizes the MX810.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 AM

I just got the MX-810 (late comer I know) and worked through a number of issues expressed in this post. I'm running Windows Vista on one machine and Windows 7 64bit Beta on another machine.

1) Windows 7 does not recognize the remote even after the software is installed and updated to latest version. Not really surprising.

2) On Vista, to get the software to update to the most recent version, you must run as administrator. In fact, it looks like its good to always run the ProWizard software as administrator.

3) I ran into the same issue where the software was "unable to obtain model id". I can get it to work consistently if I download to the remote IMMEDIATELY AFTER it is connected over USB to my computer. If I wait too long it no longer can sync. This "feels" like to me to be a driver issue where it loses some sort of information over the life of the device connection. Keep in mind, I'm a software developer, and not a hardware guy... so my opinion here may be biased. Net result though, is if you sync as soon as it is connected it should work consistently.

Once I got the MX-810 and MRF-260 up and running, I must say this combo ROCKS. Very responsive based on my testing so far.

Hope this helps for anyone setting up the MX-810 these days.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpetersen View Post

Once I got the MX-810 and MRF-260 up and running, I must say this combo ROCKS. Very responsive based on my testing so far.

Same combo and I agree!
post #14 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHUPP01 View Post

Same combo and I agree!

Me Three!
post #15 of 30 Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
>> I ran into the same issue where the software was "unable to obtain model id". I can get it to work consistently if I download to the remote IMMEDIATELY AFTER it is connected over USB to my computer.

I have Vista 64 and I get the "..model ID" error even when the remote isn't plugged in.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 AM

I have Vista 64 and I get the "..model ID" error even when the remote isn't plugged in.[/quote]

CORRECTION - The error I get is "CONTROL ID not found"
post #17 of 30 Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 AM

I just tried my first download and got the error "disconnected please try again" after the download was about 2/3 complete.

Now the remote has no software and I cannot

I tried again - and same thing.

Looks like I need to get my XP computer fired up and not use Vista.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post

I just tried my first download and got the error "disconnected please try again" after the download was about 2/3 complete.

I get that error all the time on XP. I just keep retrying it until it works. I've had to retry it 10+ times in the past. I do really like my MX-810, but that programming software really sucks for it.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First, make sure your software is updated to the latest version. If so and you still can't connect, you will probably have to manually install the USB driver for it to work properly with Vista. The drivers folder is subfolder in your Program Files directory.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #20 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 AM

Well, the horrible has happened....I had a Windows XP laptop and the hard drive did a Lois Lerner on me.....now all I have left is one Vista and everything else is either MAC or Windows 8.

Did anyone ever get the software to work with anything other than XP ????
post #21 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have it working on Windows 7. I think I have to run it by right clicking and saying run as administrator for it to connect to the remote correctly.
post #22 of 30 Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM
jgb

FWIW,

Coincidentally I was working with the MX-450 Archiver software on a Dell Ultrabook w/ Windows 8.1 last night. The software would run, but live update kept failing. I was able to get it to work by selecting properties on the executable and running the compatibility troubleshooter. Windows 8.1 was able to figure out what it needed to do to get the program to run properly.

Updating the IR DB and firmware worked through the USB connection (which is all you can do with the MX-450).

Incidentally, do you know where to get the URC programming software? I can't seem to locate it on their web page.

thanks...Josh

jgb
post #23 of 30 Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Which version or for which remote are you looking for it for? You won't find it on their website because URC does not provide the programming software to the end consumer.
post #24 of 30 Old 08-15-2014, 12:21 PM
jgb

thanks for the quick reply. I saw from another post you might have some equipment for sale. PM me if you think it might help me. Here is what I'm trying to do: (pasted from remote central forum)

My home set up is 9 TV's with 6 sources using an HDMI Matrix Switch in the basement. Recently I migrated two of the sources from Comcast Motorola STB's to the Pace X-1 STB's so my current sources are - (3 TIVO's, 2 Xfintity X-1's, Roku)

Today I have 8 MX-350's 1 MX-450 and an MRF-350 which all worked great except for the fact that when I moved to the X-1 boxes I found that the MX-350's do a poor job of controlling the X-1 units. The preset code of 113 works, but often creates double button presses that is driving my family crazy. Learning from the X-1 remote produces even worse results.

So, this creates a great opportunity for me to upgrade.

I love the simplicity of the MX-350 so I'm inclined to stick with URC. However, I understand that URC has changed their policies and require dealer-only software to program all their non-consumer remotes. I am very comfortable using software to program a remote, but I'm not inclined to rely on someone else to do it for me. The fact is I am always tinkering and am uncomfortable with having to rely on a third party when I want to make changes.

Basically what I need is:

1. A remote with :
a). good learning capablilities
b). RF/IR simultaneously
c). Macros
d). Control of 8-10 devices
e). Computer based programming, firmware upgrading & configuration backup would be a bonus.

2. RF base station with IR routing (to handle multiple sources of similar type)

I know that moving forward IP vs IR control will become more standard, however I am leery about going to an iOS/Android or purpose built hardware Wifi remote solution for a few reasons:

1. Lack of battery life of Wifi remotes requires rechargeable remotes with charging stands vs AAA batteries that last for months right now. (admittedly not a huge obstacle)

2. Typically Wifi devices associate and disassociate with the Wifi network regularly and I'm assuming they won't be as responsive. (maybe the app guys/gals have figured this one out)

3. Not as intuitive. For example, a guest in the guest bedroom picks up a bedside Itouch that has been sitting there for a month unused and tries to turn on the TV. My guess is that won't be nearly has user friendly as it is with the current MX-350 setup. For one thing the user will have to find and launch the App. (again, maybe the app guys have figured this one out)

4. Additional gadgets (e.g. Global Cache, etc.) required for legacy devices. (again, not a huge deal, but add it to the list)

FYI, I'm not opposed to paying someone to do the initial setup. However, once that's done I'd like to have complete control (no pun intended) over my system. I understand if I screw it up that's my problem.

Not withstanding all the above, I am trying to keep an open mind and would love some input from the community.

Thanks...Josh

jgb
post #25 of 30 Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topp View Post
I have it working on Windows 7. I think I have to run it by right clicking and saying run as administrator for it to connect to the remote correctly.
Yes...I also can run the software on Windows 8 and get updates...but when I plug the remote in - it doesn't recognize it. There are Windows Vista drivers in the Program Folder but they fail in error.

SO---you can get it working with the USB port as well as the software??
post #26 of 30 Old 08-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Yea, with the usb too. However, to run the program and to be able to download I had to right click and run as administrator.

Do you get the error when you try to download to the remote or just when you plug the remote in?

I have never use windows 8. Does it have a right click menu when your over an icon?
post #27 of 30 Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
thanks for the quick reply. I saw from another post you might have some equipment for sale. PM me if you think it might help me. Here is what I'm trying to do: (pasted from remote central forum)

My home set up is 9 TV's with 6 sources using an HDMI Matrix Switch in the basement. Recently I migrated two of the sources from Comcast Motorola STB's to the Pace X-1 STB's so my current sources are - (3 TIVO's, 2 Xfintity X-1's, Roku)

Today I have 8 MX-350's 1 MX-450 and an MRF-350 which all worked great except for the fact that when I moved to the X-1 boxes I found that the MX-350's do a poor job of controlling the X-1 units. The preset code of 113 works, but often creates double button presses that is driving my family crazy. Learning from the X-1 remote produces even worse results.

So, this creates a great opportunity for me to upgrade.

I love the simplicity of the MX-350 so I'm inclined to stick with URC. However, I understand that URC has changed their policies and require dealer-only software to program all their non-consumer remotes. I am very comfortable using software to program a remote, but I'm not inclined to rely on someone else to do it for me. The fact is I am always tinkering and am uncomfortable with having to rely on a third party when I want to make changes.

Basically what I need is:

1. A remote with :
a). good learning capablilities
b). RF/IR simultaneously
c). Macros
d). Control of 8-10 devices
e). Computer based programming, firmware upgrading & configuration backup would be a bonus.

2. RF base station with IR routing (to handle multiple sources of similar type)

I know that moving forward IP vs IR control will become more standard, however I am leery about going to an iOS/Android or purpose built hardware Wifi remote solution for a few reasons:

1. Lack of battery life of Wifi remotes requires rechargeable remotes with charging stands vs AAA batteries that last for months right now. (admittedly not a huge obstacle)

2. Typically Wifi devices associate and disassociate with the Wifi network regularly and I'm assuming they won't be as responsive. (maybe the app guys/gals have figured this one out)

3. Not as intuitive. For example, a guest in the guest bedroom picks up a bedside Itouch that has been sitting there for a month unused and tries to turn on the TV. My guess is that won't be nearly has user friendly as it is with the current MX-350 setup. For one thing the user will have to find and launch the App. (again, maybe the app guys have figured this one out)

4. Additional gadgets (e.g. Global Cache, etc.) required for legacy devices. (again, not a huge deal, but add it to the list)

FYI, I'm not opposed to paying someone to do the initial setup. However, once that's done I'd like to have complete control (no pun intended) over my system. I understand if I screw it up that's my problem.

Not withstanding all the above, I am trying to keep an open mind and would love some input from the community.

Thanks...Josh
Sent you a PM.
post #28 of 30 Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topp View Post
Yea, with the usb too. However, to run the program and to be able to download I had to right click and run as administrator.

Do you get the error when you try to download to the remote or just when you plug the remote in?

I have never use windows 8. Does it have a right click menu when your over an icon?
YES....I also had to run as administrator - otherwise the download & update didn't work. It seems the USB driver for the remote isn't there..... This all worked fine with my old laptop with Windows XP !!! ...... One thing...I didn't have the remote plugged in when I ran the initial software setup.
post #29 of 30 Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Does Windows 8 have an XP mode like Windows 7 Professional has? Do you have a copy of XP or Windows 7 you could dual boot or virtual machine on? I have tried to stay away from Win8 as long as possible, I have heard several programs don't work on it.

Other then that I don't really have any good suggestions.
post #30 of 30 Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 PM

Windows 8.1

In order to load the MX-810 Prowizard software you have to use the administrator mode. When you first run it in this mode let it update and and save the profile.

The remote will show up in the Device Manager, Other devices: but you cannot even force it to use the Vista driver after you load it. URC USB Sync FW1 is the name in Device Manager and a message states: The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)
Driver File 6.0.6001.17121

If anyone has current drivers I would be grateful. The software works but is absolutely worthless as the drivers will not function in Windows 8.1

Regards,
Richard
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page