Schmart Solutions for PS3 IR Control (Discussion, Feedback, Q&A) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 951 Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Steve View Post

You have to have a "learning remote", i was fixing to drop a dime on the logitech 550. I understand that its not a learning remote? Just tell me whats the cheapest fix for a universal remote that will also control my ps3.

With my Harmony Remotes I did not use the learning function - the PS3 is already in the Harmony data base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 951 Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Steve the PS3 does not support IR and there is no universal remote on the market that can output Bluetooth commands to the PS3 at this time. So no matter what, if you want to use a universal remote (Harmony, Universal Remote Control, Pronto,etc) you're going to need an IR to USB dongle in order to use that remote to control the PS3.

At some point the future there may be universal remotes that can also output bluetooth (I'm actually AMAZED at least Sony hasn't offered one yet) but at this time the only solutions are the Nyko Bluwave, Logic3 remote, and Mike's PS3IRX1 dongle.

In terms of cheapest solution, it would be to buy whatever universal remote you want (ie Logitech 550) and then adding whichever of the dongles is the cheapest at the moment. Not to thread crap but the Nyko has been available as low as $9.99 with free shipping ($14.99 on Amazon at the moment). Having said that, there have been issues with the Nyko in the past (all resolved at this point but no guarantee the same or worse problems won't come up with a future Sony firmware update) and there's basically no after sales support. Mike has worked to make sure all the previous issues didn't apply to his unit and has said he'd update firmware in the future if needed (albeit at a cost).

Erik

post #93 of 951 Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:

You have to have a "learning remote", i was fixing to drop a dime on the logitech 550. I understand that its not a learning remote? Just tell me whats the cheapest fix for a universal remote that will also control my ps3.

Thanks,
Steve

I would bet that any Logitech remote will work fine.
post #94 of 951 Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to have a "learning remote", i was fixing to drop a dime on the logitech 550. I understand that its not a learning remote? Just tell me whats the cheapest fix for a universal remote that will also control my ps3. ...

Steve,

The 550 is indeed a learning remote. I have found it quite rare to need to learn any commands as I usually can find them in the Logitech data base.
post #95 of 951 Old 12-29-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Mike, glad to hear that you are feeling better.

I have just placed my order for the PS3IRX1, since I noticed your post saying that you have updated the firmware. Thanks a lot for keeping us informed, and for designing such a great product. I really am looking forward to receiving it.
post #96 of 951 Old 12-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Mike, glad to hear that you are feeling better.

I have just placed my order for the PS3IRX1, since I noticed your post saying that you have updated the firmware. Thanks a lot for keeping us informed, and for designing such a great product. I really am looking forward to receiving it.

Great! I'll do my best to get it out to you. I shipped 30 units today. That's pretty much as many as I can build, test, and ship on a good day here in my lab. Right now I have about a 120 unit backlog on the PS3IR+PWR and am current on the PS3IRX1. But, I'm getting as many as 20 new orders a day. The faster I go, the behinder I get! I'm in the process of getting them built in bulk here in Austin. That's about 3 weeks out from coming on line though. Until then... I'll be busy!
post #97 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 AM

I live in the UK and I'd love to get hold of a PS3IRX1 (I don't need the +PWR version). What sort of charge can I expect for shipping to the UK?

Apologies for the forum post but I couldn't see any mention of shipping options on www dot schmartz dot com
post #98 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vumad View Post

I live in the UK and I'd love to get hold of a PS3IRX1 (I don't need the +PWR version). What sort of charge can I expect for shipping to the UK?

Apologies for the forum post but I couldn't see any mention of shipping options on www dot schmartz dot com

Shipping via USPS is included in the price.
post #99 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 AM

No shipping charges, Mike sends international orders via US Postal Service (follow the instructions in his site)

Mine arrived (to Spain) 10 days after purchase, highly recommended.
post #100 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

I really hope that some of the Trade Magazines pick up on this product. I am a CI and have been looking for this solution since the PS3 came out. We strictly use URC remotes. This would be a great 'Little Guy' success story in our 'Very Big' world.

I wish you the best!!!!

Stephen
Remote Possibilities, Inc.

Stephen
'Lifestyles At The Touch Of A Button'
post #101 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooooth View Post

I really hope that some of the Trade Magazines pick up on this product.

I agree. Any idea which magazines?

FYI, I just added discounted bulk order options on the website. I'm not giving a big price break yet. My feeling is that VARs can charge more than I would anyway for the expertise and convenience they add for the customer. I want to keep enough margin so that I can afford to properly support the products and keep them working perfect in the future. There are cheaper products but their support is non-existent.
post #102 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke View Post

Shipping via USPS is included in the price.

Hi Mike,

Congrats for your new baby, it should rocks...

I've got a problem on your site either to register or to order, since I'm from France and your registration fields don't accept other country than US, could you please tell me how to do to place my order ASAP ?

Thanks,

Peloche,
post #103 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloche View Post

Hi Mike,

Congrats for your new baby, it should rocks...

I've got a problem on your site either to register or to order, since I'm from France and your registration fields don't accept other country than US, could you please tell me how to do to place my order ASAP ?

Thanks,

Peloche,

Done after reading again your site instructions and trying again with Firefox it worked, thanks.

Peloche,
post #104 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloche View Post

Done after reading again your site instructions and trying again with Firefox it worked, thanks.

Peloche,

I apologize for the website. I haven't had time to work on it myself and my last attempt to hire it done was a disaster. I will get to it someday soon.
post #105 of 951 Old 12-30-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

[quote=MMuecke;12629892]I agree. Any idea which magazines?

On the CI side I would look at 'CEPro'
Julie Jacobson, Editor-at-Large, is a contributing member of AVS

On the Consumer side I would start with 'Sound and Vision'

Stephen

Stephen
'Lifestyles At The Touch Of A Button'
post #106 of 951 Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 AM

I simply cannot stress how much i enjoy Mike's effort in making this product, and my entire home is a buzz with expectation of this holy grail product arriving :-)

Mike's latest update in this thread makes me very happy, and as far as the product being late? well he's just a nerdy enthusiast giving other (nerdy) enthusiasts the tech fix they need :-)

i applaud you efforts mr Muecke
post #107 of 951 Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke View Post

[...]

I also have the discrete power commands working. Yay!

How does this work with a cheapo universal remote (which usually function as a toggle on/off)? Does it sense if it is on or off and just do the opposite, or it is a discrete command that must be programmed, of simply toggle?

THanks
Jeff
post #108 of 951 Old 12-31-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizaref1 View Post

How does this work with a cheapo universal remote (which usually function as a toggle on/off)? Does it sense if it is on or off and just do the opposite, or it is a discrete command that must be programmed, of simply toggle?

THanks
Jeff

I have mapped the number "0" IR command to off and the number "1" IR command to On. The PS3IR+PWR does the majic of ignoring ON when the PS3 is on and ignoring OFF when the PS3 is already off. The PS3 only has a power toggle but the microcontroller on the PS3IR+PWR is smart enough to do the right thing. The standard PS2 Power IR command still works also. But it will just toggle power On/OFF.
post #109 of 951 Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Mike, one suggestion. When you update your post add a quick reply to the thread that says:

I've made an update.

Then people that have subscriptions to the thread know when you've made an update. For example I've been following the thread but didn't know you'd updated the post until fumper had mentioned it.

Erik

post #110 of 951 Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Just got notice that mine is shipping (thanks!!)

....but I have a few questions. I understand that I am going to need to borrow a psp to set up the remote play option. (I am sure I can figure that out when I get it.) But I can't figure out what is the pronto code for power on and power off? It isn't in the table at the start of this thread, so I imagine it has something to do with the home button?

thanks!
post #111 of 951 Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 AM

oops...just read the post above mine. 1 and 0 look like they are my answers!
post #112 of 951 Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaciolo View Post

oops...just read the post above mine. 1 and 0 look like they are my answers!

Good point! In my spare time (lol) I need to add mappings and pronto codes for the PS3IR+PWR.
post #113 of 951 Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
MMuecke:

On the web site it states the PS3IR+PWR requires a PSP. "So, you must obtain a PSP (or borrow one temporarily) to enable the power On feature. " Is this typo? Did you mean PS2 remote. Can you explain this? Also is it returnable? What is the return policy/warranty? THANX!
post #114 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickape View Post

Hallo everyone,

Trying to understand. If i get PS3IRX1 and add a sony DVD code to my all 4 one controller, will i be able to use a subtitle button? What is home button?

Any answer?
post #115 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettech_gt View Post

MMuecke:

On the web site it states the PS3IR+PWR requires a PSP. "So, you must obtain a PSP (or borrow one temporarily) to enable the power On feature. " Is this typo? Did you mean PS2 remote. Can you explain this? Also is it returnable? What is the return policy/warranty? THANX!

No, you need a PSP to enable the remote start feature of the PS3. This allows the power on the USB ports to remain on when the PS3 is turned off.

The short answer is that I really don't want to have to accept returns so please shop responsively! I do however provide a 100% warranty on all products. They will work as advertised and exceed your requirements. I will speedily and happily repair or replace any unit in the rare event that it is defective. It has happened twice so far and both customers are quite happy (and surprised) with the response. I am determined to keep the high level of quality and support even as I shift to higher volume production by a contract facility. Perhaps the defect rates will increase slightly but my response will still be quick, friendly, and personal!
post #116 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickape View Post

Any answer?

Bottom line, the PS3IR devices can (only) do anything a game controller can do.
post #117 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 AM

All of a sudden i feel myself growing nervous, i have only yesterday received my ps3 40gb and to my horror the usb ports are placed at the opposite end of the powerbutton, when i look at the image of the standard ps3irx it is set at usb 4, the 40 gb only has 2, and they are placed further away, has anyone received the +pwr yet and can confirm that the wire for on/off is long enough to accomodate being placed in the number 1 or 2 usb?

Huge chills on my behalf there... however i feel confident that Mike has anticipated this, 100% confirmation would be nice though...

Anyone?
post #118 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumper View Post

All of a sudden i feel myself growing nervous, i have only yesterday received my ps3 40gb and to my horror the usb ports are placed at the opposite end of the powerbutton, when i look at the image of the standard ps3irx it is set at usb 4, the 40 gb only has 2, and they are placed further away, has anyone received the +pwr yet and can confirm that the wire for on/off is long enough to accomodate being placed in the number 1 or 2 usb?

Huge chills on my behalf there... however i feel confident that Mike has anticipated this, 100% confirmation would be nice though...

Anyone?

I guess I'm in the same boat. I assume the wire is long enough, but it would be nice to get some confirmation.

post #119 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumper View Post

is [the wire] long enough to accomodate being placed in the number 1 or 2 usb?

Yes the wire is long enough to reach any of the 4 USB port locations. I actually purchased the new 40GB model for my lab so I could test the PS3IR devices with the new stuff as well as the old.
post #120 of 951 Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM

I expected no less from you Mike :-)
i just had a nagging feeling that i had to adress, by now my thingy is in the mail, and i can do nothing to stop it, but glad to hear that you are ahead :-)
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page