Schmart Solutions for PS3 IR Control (Discussion, Feedback, Q&A) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

None of the codes, mapping & especially installation photos are either posted on his site or included with the item. Sure, there is the one photo of the sticker. Now I can read...but did I buy the item here or from his place? There is no reference to 'the avs forums thread' on the site; in fact the help is only for sign in & shopping cart assistance. To make the point clearer, the instruction page in the box points you to avs forum for this info, not his site.

And from the site:
"This is not Wal-Mart or Target. It's more like an electronic version of the Soup Nazi Kitchen from the Jerry Seinfeld show. I reserve the right to do business only with fun, intelligent people that have some extra change in their pocket and at least some sense of humor."

Now I have no problem buying xyz cutting edge gadgets & going through all the 'fun', but Mike you know this needs to be cleaned up & handled better. I'll say it again...nice product, needs some work.

I agree with that, and I think he does too, because, to be fair, there is a reference (albeit not too clear) to the forum in his website, and he has said himself that the website is "lame" [his own words] and that it's not the final product.

Let me just say right now that you've been very polite in your criticism and I truly respect that. We should all handle these disagreements the way you are doing it.

Anyway, we can all agree (even Mike has said so) that the product is being polished and fine-tuned according to customer feedback, and your comments will definitely help there. Having said that, I believe you could have tried (if you haven't) contacting him, through the forum or the website, to let him know of the problems you are having. However, things like the PSP requirement and the wire going to the power button have been discussed here, and mentioned in the website since he even conceived the idea.

Ã

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

None of the codes, mapping & especially installation photos are either posted on his site or included with the item. Sure, there is the one photo of the sticker there. Now I can read...but did I buy the item here or from his place? There is no reference to 'the avs forums thread' on the site; in fact the help is only for sign in & shopping cart assistance. To make the point clearer, the instruction page in the box points you to avs forum for this info, not his site.

"This is not Wal-Mart or Target. It's more like an electronic version of the Soup Nazi Kitchen from the Jerry Seinfeld show. I reserve the right to do business only with fun, intelligent people that have some extra change in their pocket and at least some sense of humor."

Now I have no problem buying xyz cutting edge gadgets & going through all the 'fun', but Mike you know this needs to be cleaned up & handled better. I'll say it again...nice product, needs some work.

Well, I don't want to get into a debate on this. I get the general gist of what your saying even though you seem to contradict yourself in the last post. It's probably me. I did hire someone to add a forum and download area to my site but they didn't get it done. I have now arranged for another designer to do this. It should be started soon. Unfortunately, the good ones are busy.

I am peddling as fast as I can. Someday soon I will have everything setup so that it is appropriate for everyone and even go into the big box stores. For now I'm just doing this for people that kinda like buying bleeding edge devices. I wish you good luck but I'm guessing you aren't the kind of customer I am looking for right now. Peace.
post #183 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM

BTW, it's actually great that someone would take the time to ask me to tighten it up a little. That means things are going so well that the expectations are that high. At the first no one would have bothered because it was obviously such a Moonlight project. That is cool.
post #184 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
sd10000, I sent you a PM.

Does the PWR wire need to be routed upwards as shown in your pictures, or can it be routed downward? I'm thinking down and to the right might be less obvious.

Also, I use an RTI remote which is RF to its base station. From there I would like to run an IR emitter to the USB dongle. Does this have to go on the front, or is there room behind the unit to snake the emitter up from underneath? And, is the IR sensor visible from the back of the USB unit? Again, I'm trying to make it as discrete as possible.

Thanks,
-D
post #185 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke View Post

BTW, it's actually great that someone would take the time to ask me to tighten it up a little. That means things are going so well that the expectations are that high. At the first no one would have bothered because it was obviously such a Moonlight project. That is cool.

Congrats!

I just learned about this project yesterday (was in the HDDVD camp and for obvious reasons have jumped over) as I like to have my HT all perfectly controlled with my 880, and the PS3 seemed to be the best BD player with what I was looking for. I'm excited about this, and wish you luck with the PS3IR+PWR and your other in-parallel projects (especially the BT project)!

-Jax
post #186 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Mike,

I read on your site that orders from the 28th have shipped. Do you send out shipping emails? I placed an order on the 27th and my inbox has been empty

Currently looking for a PSP to borrow, but the more I look into it I may just buy one. Too many toys to buy...

post #187 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mike, appreciate you're using the input constructively. I looked at every other option out there & this was by far the most professional device which is why I paid $50 instead of $20 for bluwave. After going over it, some observations:

1. The ir receiver works fine with universal remote programmed as ps2 remote.

2. Most people are buying this for blu-ray movie playback control.

3. There is really no need for a pwr on function for movie playback as the disk must be inserted & powers device on automatically. (But it would be helpful for media center users, etc.)

4. If you don't want the wire & sticker messing up the clean look of the ps3 and can do w/o pwr off, get the cheaper unit.

5. Usb/bt to ir adapter will make these units obsolete.

6. Even if we get #4, you still need to program the universal remote with ps button code.

7. The product should ship with a pdf or link to download instructions with photos.

8. Your website needs forums, really.

I will be the first in line to beta test bt to ir adapter.
post #188 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

3. There is really no need for a pwr on function as the disk must be inserted & powers device on automatically.

What about those of us that use the PS3 as a media center? Power on the PS3 and browse to a movie or music on the network. In that case the power on isn't automated. You also forgot to mention the power off feature.

You should have just bought the $35 unit or another brand.

post #189 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Media center..good point. I got the pwr model for the on/off feature, but not going to get a psp just to get that working, and don't want the wire or sticker.
post #190 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... but not going to get a psp just to get that working ...

You only need to borrow one from a neighborhood kid (or adult) - ask a Co-worker? You'll need it for five minutes.

You've made it clear that you didn't realize what the details were of what you were buying... time to move on. lol
post #191 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just wanted to point out that I'm very happy with the PS3IR. I originally had a problem (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=143), but Mike helped me out, and it was my own fault. Rather than programming the Logitech 880 to use the IR "play" command for to perform a play, I thought I was being smart and had it send "x" (because that works from the gamepad). That worked for bluray, but not regular DVD. After programming the 880 correctly, the PS3IR has worked perfectly.

And for what it's worth, it was clear to me from the website that the PS3IR+PWR needed a PSP and had a sticker and had a wire. I went with the regular PS3IR because I decided I didn't need the power feature...

I still cannot believe Sony didn't include IR... I actually agree moving to Bluetooth for device control is a great idea, but not without some transition period where both are supported!

... Altan

Like pinball? Check out

post #192 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

For any sizeable home theater you need RF, or at least RF with IR blasters, bluetooth isn't that great if you have lots of devices.
post #193 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Is a discrete on/off even possible with a purely Bluetooth solution? I believe the Sony remote only supports power toggle, so I would guess that's all that would be available with an IR to Bluetooth solution. Unless, of course, some sort of power sense circuit is used in tandum to check power state.
post #194 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke View Post

I wouldn't waste any more time testing your devices. I am now certain I sent a couple of units out with test firmware installed. I even remember what happened in retrospect. Thanks for the invoice number, it does help to know where to send them! LOL

I went ahead and dropped off a ton of PS3IR+PWR devices at the post office Saturday. Now that I have help, things are going much faster so I won't have any trouble getting your replacements in the mail on Monday. and maybe I won't be making as many mistakes since I won't be dead tired and worn out

I believe I received one of these, as well. I initially sent an email to you via your website, but got an automated response telling me to come here, so I did, and I found this post. I also sent you a PM, in case my email was lost in the flood, so feel free to ignore whichever you don't get to first.

I left out my invoice number by mistake, so I'll go ahead and post it here. It's 0000001484. I hope to receive a working product soon, as the one I received is useless for most functions.
post #195 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm home now and I got a chance to check out my Harmony settings for the PS3. Right now I have them set like this:

Button --- Command
Up --- DirectionUp
Down --- DirectionDown
Left --- DirectionLeft
Right --- DirectionRight
Ok --- X
Menu --- Square
Exit --- Circle
Guide --- Triangle
Info --- Select
Stop --- Stop
Skip Back --- ChapterPrev
Skip Forward --- ChapterNext
Play --- Play
Rewind --- Rewind
Fast Forward --- FastForward
Pause --- Pause

All of the numbers are set for the matching number. (1 --- 1, etc)

Then for my additional buttons I added Circle, Square, Triangle, and X, so they will show up on the screen when I am in the activity. I found this makes it easier to naviagte the home screen etc, because it tells you what playstation button to press to perform certain functions, and its easier to use those than to try to remember that the guide button is the same as the triangle button, the menue button is the same as the X button etc.

However, if anyone else has any suggestions for changes to my settings I am more than happy to listen. This is just what I have figured out so far and it seems to be working well (assuming my problems are totally related to my PS3IRX1).
post #196 of 951 Old 01-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Any1 else notice that when you press "Stop" on the Harmony Remote it does NOT stop the movie.
It actually does soemthign liek what you do when you press the "Circle" Button.
It is like a close program command.

Is this as intended or I need to tweak my remote commands?
So far the Stop button is programmed for the "Stop" Command ....

Why NOT to buy Expensive Cables:

post #197 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilim View Post

Any1 else notice that when you press "Stop" on the Harmony Remote it does NOT stop the movie.
It actually does soemthign liek what you do when you press the "Circle" Button.
It is like a close program command.

Is this as intended or I need to tweak my remote commands?
So far the Stop button is programmed for the "Stop" Command ....

My Harmony does the same thing. When I was using the Nyko IR dongle, it did the same thing as well. When I am watching HD DVD's (on my XA2), and press stop, the same basic thing happens. If I put a standard definition DVD in the XA2, it performs the 'stop' command like I would expect. I tried this in the PS3 with a standard dvd, and it tried to close the program just like it does with BD's.
post #198 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 06:54 AM

The Stop command is not available via USB-connected gamepads, therefore, is not available via IR dongles. The mapped Exit command is the best next thing.
post #199 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgp208 View Post

My Harmony does the same thing. When I was using the Nyko IR dongle, it did the same thing as well. When I am watching HD DVD's (on my XA2), and press stop, the same basic thing happens. If I put a standard definition DVD in the XA2, it performs the 'stop' command like I would expect. I tried this in the PS3 with a standard dvd, and it tried to close the program just like it does with BD's.

Thing is thats the only command that don't work right for me.
I also have a Toshiba A30 and a SA 8300 HD DVR.
When I click the "Stop" button on my remote that is program for the "Stop Command" it would act as the Circle button.
This would bring up the "Do you want to quit playback" or soemthing screen when trying to watch a movie.

Hmm I am gonna play with the Sixaxis Remote and see if there is a specific button that actually "Stops" playback and not just try to quit the program.

Ok After playing around and reading soem other posts.
Found that the Stop key is screwy on any remotes for the PS3 and PS2.
It tends to stop the whole playback and close the program, which is stupid.

While playing with the Sixaxis remote, I find that the "Square" button can stop the playback but put it back to the main menu screen.
Pressing the "Square" Button again will start the movie back at the exact spot you stopped it on.
So I guess an interim solution is use the "Square" Button as the "Stop" Button command.

Why NOT to buy Expensive Cables:

post #200 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those that do not have a PSP, I saw at Blockbuster the other day that they rent a PSP for $7. That could be an option.
post #201 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgp208 View Post

My Harmony does the same thing. ...

I'm setting up my new 890 PRO (replacing an older 680 Harmony.)

Just ordered my FREE Zwave module - you pay the $12.41 Shipping. I went to Zwaveproducts.com and saw the offer - sent Zwave Customer Service an E-mail saying I had the receipt for my new 890 PRO but Logitech hadn't given me a Coupon Code when I registered it. In their reply they gave me the Code - HAR100 . No proof-of-purchase needed.
post #202 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

PS2 cmds working fine with MX-850 by Universal Remote.
post #203 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what does this zwave module do? Does it work with IR or RF?
post #204 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post

what does this zwave module do? Does it work with IR or RF?

RF
post #205 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone explain BT to IR?

The Remote sends an IR signal, which the PS3-BT will repeat to the PS3?

Is there any lag in this process?
post #206 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:

For any sizeable home theater you need RF, or at least RF with IR blasters, bluetooth isn't that great if you have lots of devices.

I agree. bluetooth is not the panacea promised by the marketing folks. There is a limit to the device count, it really isn't a "standard" or the Harmony would work with the PS3 right away, it is extremely costly for anything but mega high volume products (I bet even Sony is selling the remotes at a loss), as a developer, the BT vendors won't even talk to you if you don't want millions of them, the standby power is pretty high so the drain on the battery is significant, then you still have to go through the full FCC certification crap anyway. Just my humble opinion.

IR with blasters is better. I don't understand why someone doesn't make a single IR receiver that has an unlimited number of IR senders connected via regular phone cord or something.

OK, breaks over, back to figuring out what is going on with the latest PS3IR release.
post #207 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

With the Schmart solution (PWR version or not), will I be able to fully control the "media server" features of the PS3 like music, pictures slideshow, etc.?
post #208 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM

I really hope Sony releases the home button. This is the only factor preventing me from purchasing the PS3IR+PWR. Until then I will continue to follow this thread with interest.
post #209 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

With the Schmart solution (PWR version or not), will I be able to fully control the "media server" features of the PS3 like music, pictures slideshow, etc.?

You can do anything that you can do with your game controller. The only caveat is that Sony hasn't enabled home key support for my device yet.

-Mike
post #210 of 951 Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't own a PS3 (yet) - what does the home button provide?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page