Where to buy MX-980 from an authorized dealer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I want to get a MX-980 from an authorized dealer who will supply the "updateable" software (I won't buy from Best Buy as I learned the hard way with my MX-850 my hubby bought). I checked Surfremotecontrol.com (based on Mike's great posting) and he doesn't carry it and neither does B&H. Can somebody help with a recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't think any authorized dealers have it yet?

I did a net search but couldn't find anyone selling it. But you could try the dealer locator function at the URC website. Just punch in your state and then net search the dealer names to find their website, or call them.

http://www.universalremote.com/pro/dealer_locator.php

These guys are running a pre-order on it:

http://www.proremotes.com/product_in...roducts_id=139

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #3 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franztini View Post

Hi,
I want to get a MX-980 from an authorized dealer who will supply the "updateable" software (I won't buy from Best Buy as I learned the hard way with my MX-850 my hubby bought). I checked Surfremotecontrol.com (based on Mike's great posting) and he doesn't carry it and neither does B&H. Can somebody help with a recommendation?

Post your location.
Plenty of dealers helped build these forums, they are all around.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #4 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I am in the San Francisco Bay area but I think CZ Eddie nailed it and that URC hasn't shipped them yet... Anybody selling them ????

I want a remote with hard buttons and extensive flexibility in programming (so no harmony) and I was leaning toward the 950 but the color screen of the 980 had me swayed as I thought it would be easier on the eyes than the text UI of the 950 (similar to my 850). So the $64k question - should I wait? Or more importantly, is it worth the wait since I don't care for touch screen?
post #5 of 67 Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Wait for the 980. It looks to be the type of product people expected from URC.

I am not prepared.
post #6 of 67 Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 PM

It has not shipped in volume to resellers yet. Based on past history, Mike at Surf will have them as soon as they hit the street. You might want to call or send him an email to get on a notification list when they are released.

I buy all of my remotes from Mike and have never been let down.
post #7 of 67 Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 AM

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/univer...ml?cPath=10_25

Worth making a phone call at very least.

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #8 of 67 Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

eddielives-thank you! I just ordered it and they are shipping today! They are a new URC dealer and they got 20 units last week which shocked them...they have 6, well make that 5 left, so if any one else is interested - call them - the price is right and free shipping!

ThomasV555 - I agree - Dillon at HiDef said it is a sweet hard button remote - simple logical layout, clean lines, and the screen is easy to see. I will let you know what my first impressions are when I get it.
post #9 of 67 Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

I'm just disappointed that all AVS sales go to HiDef and SurfRemote.

Internet trunk slammers are destroying this hobby and don't be deluded, they're shilling you through PM's and other means.

I am not prepared.
post #10 of 67 Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Damn sold out!
post #11 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

I'm just disappointed that all AVS sales go to HiDef and SurfRemote.

Internet trunk slammers are destroying this hobby and don't be deluded, they're shilling you through PM's and other means.

I don't understand. They're an authorized dealer, and this is a hot product. What's the problem? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, I'm just curious. Please elaborate, or PM me.

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #12 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM

What sort of price are these going for?

Cheers
John
post #13 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives View Post

I don't understand. They're an authorized dealer, and this is a hot product. What's the problem? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, I'm just curious. Please elaborate, or PM me.

I'm no angel, but I "generally" help people here when I can. I don't do it to line the pockets of Hi Def and Mike at Surf Remote (in Mike's case he does his own legwork.)

I do it hoping that people will support their local economy. If my free advice and information is causing people to devalue their local guy, then I will stop. I won't personally actively participate in that. I actually like this A/V Hobby. I don't want it Walmarted.

I feel some of you guys manipulate the "community" feel of these forums. It happened at the SPot, then HTF, and AVS had tried to keep it under control, but they appear to be failing IMO. I'm just sick of it and don't care if the owners get a cut.

Aren't you the guy that PM'ed me about preordering the MX980 who I subsequently had some choice words for..?

I am not prepared.
post #14 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM

This whole thread deviation is a bit strange. There are a good number of us on AVS (and Remote Central, SPot, etc.) who enjoy programming our toys and do not need the services of an Installer. I would not have any issue buying the URC line locally but the prices at B&M stores are beyond ridiculous. I have a handful of options in the DC-area but they all try for MSRP on these remotes. I won't comment on your wallet, but there is no way in hell I am going to pay >$300 more than Surf Remote for the privilege of buying it at Magnolia/Meyer-Emco/other URC B&Ms. Mike's advice and assistance (and that of other vendors as well) with programming intricacies is an added bonus that puts a feather in his cap to go along with his Authorized reseller status. This is not a case of eBay grey market vendors or guys flipping remotes out of their trunks -- Surf, ProRemotes, HiDef Lifestyle are volume outlets for URC. It would not surprise me in the least if they were among URC's Top 10 product movers.
post #15 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmascatello View Post

there is no way in hell I am going to pay >$300 more than Surf Remote for the privilege of buying it at Magnolia/Meyer-Emco/other URC B&Ms.

Yep, you pay full price and still don't get the updateable software.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #16 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Aren't you the guy that PM'ed me about preordering the MX980 who I subsequently had some choice words for..?

No. I have a total of 12 PMs. And you're not one of them.

This person seemed like they wanted the remote, and wanted to buy from an authorized dealer. The local guys don't seem to have it, so I simply suggested an option. Settle down. You're acting like the guy bought one on fleaBay.

Kettering
post #17 of 67 Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Relax.
The way I'm acting is based on your interpretation of tone, meaning it's just text. You don't have to agree, I'm just providing my viewpoint.

I personally don't see a difference between the Ebayers and the authorized guys. They sell for the same pricing and most likely have similar suppliers.
In fact what bugs me is that if I keep naming the usual suspects they just get more business.

Am I settled down enough for you? <--condescending tone to me, but who knows

Sorry about mistaking you for the guy who PM'ed me. It was someone from
Hi Def and it was basically
"Pssss.. you can get a preorder for that remote you were posting about with us for a good price."
I replied..

If others can push their online dealer of choice why am I getting rained on for rec'ding people buy local? The MX980 will be in full circulation in a week. I know I checked it out.

I am not prepared.
post #18 of 67 Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 AM

Point taken. What do you say we end this thread? I wasn't looking to start any s*#t here. I was simply making a suggestion, and the original poster had the option of making their own choice to buy online or wait for a B&M store to get them. FWIW, I have NO affiliation with any remote control Co..

Kettering
post #19 of 67 Old 12-06-2007, 06:46 PM

You might want to hold off a bit on the 980 and see more reviews and opinions of it. I got one a few days ago. I am very familiar with the line but I have to say, the Editor software is somewhat cumbersome. Not at all the ease to program of say a MX-850. Of course , the 980 will run rings around that, more then likely. At any rate, be ready for a pretty high learning curve to really get it to do exactly what you need. It may not be for the true newbie.

For what its worth... mine got returned to URC as it locked up after just a few hours. Wierd. I'd bet it is an isolated case but again, might make for another reason to hold up a bit before buying.
post #20 of 67 Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Any 980's in stock anywhere at an authorized dealer?

WS
post #21 of 67 Old 12-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

The rumor is that internet sales will not be allowed on this remote. I'll update this once I know, but I'm sure one of the dealers can confirm or deny this.

I am not prepared.
post #22 of 67 Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:

The rumor is that internet sales will not be allowed on this remote. I'll update this once I know, but I'm sure one of the dealers can confirm or deny this.

It looks like in addition to the MX-980, the MSC-400 won't be available via internet sales either. I guess at least the CI's will be happy. As a DIYer I guess I will avoid the MX-980; too much uncertainty on whether the updateable s/w is provided.
post #23 of 67 Old 12-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar View Post

It looks like in addition to the MX-980, the MSC-400 won't be available via internet sales either. I guess at least the CI's will be happy. As a DIYer I guess I will avoid the MX-980; too much uncertainty on whether the updateable s/w is provided.

That is silly.

Just ask the dealer or installer if they provide the updateable software.

It's more than just CI's. Local dealers will be happy that they finally have a fair shot at offering URC to their customers.

The MX980 + MSC400 is about the best you can do w/ URC, but I hope you are very experienced or extremely patient when it comes to DIYing those units.

I am not prepared.
post #24 of 67 Old 12-08-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

No rumor, it's true. It includes the MX-980, MSC-400 and MSC-400 accessories. Any authorized dealer, internet or not, cannot sell these products outside of their territory.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #25 of 67 Old 12-08-2007, 03:06 PM

I have an MX-700 and an MX-900. I purchased the MX-900 about a year ago after URC's policy change regarding updateable s/w. I did a lot of research and had multiple conversations with URC directly. At the time URC stated that it was up to the AD or CI as to which version they supplied; this worried me. My local dealer was less than knowledgable about the whole situation. I even questioned whether they were authorized since they weren't listed as such on URC's site. I brought this to URC's attention and they are now listed as authorized.
There were many posts a year ago from individuals who purchased from AD's and did not get the updateable s/w. I am referencing individuals that had existing remotes when the policy change was made. Tbh, I believe in most cases URC took care of these individuals.
A mentioned above I did a lot of research and ended up purchasing from Pro Remot*s; and would do so again. I am not so sure that I would trust my local dealer should URC make some other change down the road, let's say in 3 years.
I have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of the MX-980 but will hold out for a while and see what happens.
Regarding programming, I would much rather program one of the MX Series (MX-850 and above) vs the consumer R or RF Series.
post #26 of 67 Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

No rumor, it's true. It includes the MX-980, MSC-400 and MSC-400 accessories. Any authorized dealer, internet or not, cannot sell these products outside of their territory.

Thanks for the clarification!
Btw Mike, I would not hesitate to purchase a remote from you. You have many informative posts both here and at RemoteC*ntral and I have never read a bad thing about you. You seem to want to genuinely assist those with problems.
post #27 of 67 Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Any updates on in stock availability?

ty,
WS
post #28 of 67 Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 AM

URC has stock on both the MX980 and the MSC400. They told us yesterday they have filled all their open orders now and have inventory left in house. If you find your local authorized dealer they should either have stock or be able to order them in for you.

Aaron S.
HIDEF Lifestyle
post #29 of 67 Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is silly.

Just ask the dealer or installer if they provide the updateable software.

You go ahead and give that a try at Magnolia. Be ready for the "deer in the headlights" look.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #30 of 67 Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Can you believe you can't order this remote online anymore....

WS
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page