please help me program my URC MX-810 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-22-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just started out with my new URC MX-810. First of all, it is great. I didn't think I would like the feel of it, but it is comfortable to hold, and pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

My wife tried it out, and although I only have the most basic commands in there, she was able to use it right away, and she liked it. Previosly we were using the comcast supplied "universal" remote, which required you to change components to change volume on our receiver, because i could not program a punch-through for the volume control.

The last programmable remote I have is the old pronto, which I use for volume and light control, but you can't really beat the hard button remotes for cable control. There are so many buttons needed, and nobody likes to move from screen to screen on a touchscreen.

I find the URC software to be fairly unintuitive. It was faily easy to set up the components, although it did not have codes for my 1 year old panasonic projector (pt-ax100). I selected an older model that works, but it doesn't know that 2 power signals are needed for OFF. Is there a way to update the controllers database?

Anyway, the first 'advanced' feature I am looking to program is this. When I press 'pause' on a dvd, I want the player to pause, and I want the lights to come up to a pre-defined level. I have the lights working, and there is a command to do this, so

My question is : How do I add this command to the existing 'pause' definition, without overwriting the actual pause command?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, ar
post #3 of 17 Old 12-26-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
First, there's no way to alter the database. If you need additional commands, you need to learn them from your original remote.

To program a macro other than an activity (like your "Pause" button), you can add commands to a button via the Universal Browser. Open your file, higlight the button you want to program and drag commands into the Action List window.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #4 of 17 Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Mike. I am slowly starting to see how this works. I think that the software is a little dis-organized, but I can see that it is very capable if you know where to look.

ar

HELP!!! actually I take it back. I cannot figure out how to use the browser to add commands. I see where you can see the commands that are in there, but the only field that allows entry is the hex field. I there a copy/paste or a text entry field you use to add commands?

thanks again,

ar
post #5 of 17 Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

well I am gonna update as I go here, since I am all full of coffee. I just read a little on remotecentral, and now I see one of my mistakes. I did not "open" my file using the browse button. I AM going to figure this out before my wife gets home.......

thanks again,

ar
post #6 of 17 Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Have you downloaded the programing manual from the universal remote website? There is also a training video that I could send you. I sent you a PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W C View Post

Have you downloaded the programing manual from the universal remote website? There is also a training video that I could send you. I sent you a PM.

Are you thinking of the MX-850? At this time, there is no programming manual or video for the MX-810.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #8 of 17 Old 12-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Thought that the software might be the same!
post #9 of 17 Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W C View Post

Thought that the software might be the same!

Other than the RF control and partially the Universal Browser, they're not even close I'm afraid.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #10 of 17 Old 12-28-2007, 02:05 PM

Just thought that I would try to help if i could. Sounds like you are the guy he needs help from.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-04-2008, 04:54 PM

guys, im thinking of getting this remote. You say you have the lights programmed. How does that work is it Z-wave or something else?
What type of switches are you using and do they work well?
thanks
post #12 of 17 Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King244 View Post

guys, im thinking of getting this remote. You say you have the lights programmed. How does that work is it Z-wave or something else?
What type of switches are you using and do they work well?
thanks

I have the MX-810 working with X10 but you need the X10 Pro IR543 IR to RF Convertor to make this work. I have heard this also works with ZWave but I can't confirm that.

I am using X10 and Leviton Receivers/Switches. The X10's works as good as X10 works, the Leviton work great.

I do want to upgrade to ZWave or something else sooner or later to be able to use "Scene Lighting"

I am able to create a quasi Scene Lighting with this remote by creating a Activity which turns on many lights in my Family Room and sets to a preset dimming on each light by using LM14 Lamp Modules with (soft fade and dim set).

If anyone has any advice .....
I am looking for suggestions as to upgrading to ZWave, UPB, PLC, HAI Insteon, or any other solution?

My needs are:
- Computer Programming (PC does not have to be on to use)
- Controls X10 also (so I can use my existing X10's or slowly phase out)
- Scene Lighting
- Relibility
- Cost is also a consideration

Thanks in advance

Supie
post #13 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi mike - I just ordered an MX-810 & MRF-350 from Surf Audio Video last night, looking forward to it!! Understanding there are no programming manuals, can you suggest the best way to attack this with least aggravation, maybe someone has a write-up, or tips/hints on how to program the MX-810 software?
Thanks,
Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post

Are you thinking of the MX-850? At this time, there is no programming manual or video for the MX-810.

-Tom
post #14 of 17 Old 09-06-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Hi mike - I just ordered an MX-810 & MRF-350 from Surf Audio Video last night, looking forward to it!! Understanding there are no programming manuals, can you suggest the best way to attack this with least aggravation, maybe someone has a write-up, or tips/hints on how to program the MX-810 software?
Thanks,
Tom

The MX-810 was designed to be a straight forward programming remote for installers. While URC does offer a training class for it, end users may find it kind of difficult in some area when trying to tweak as some of the functions and "tips" are embedded in the program itself. So, the perception is that because it's a wizard based programming remote it's a DIY remote - but that's not the case. URC has designed this model in the pro series category. We do a fair amount of business for people that request this remote for their control system. It's not that it's difficult to program - its just that certain resources are only available to installers.

My best advice is to just ask the forum base and the rest of the remote world for specific questions you have. That would be a great way to get through this. I would be happy to answer any questions you have - you can find my contact information at www.totalcontrolremotes.com

Vincent

Total Control Remotes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalcontrol View Post

The MX-810 was designed to be a straight forward programming remote for installers. While URC does offer a training class for it, end users may find it kind of difficult in some area when trying to tweak as some of the functions and "tips" are embedded in the program itself. So, the perception is that because it's a wizard based programming remote it's a DIY remote - but that's not the case. URC has designed this model in the pro series category. We do a fair amount of business for people that request this remote for their control system. It's not that it's difficult to program - its just that certain resources are only available to installers.

My best advice is to just ask the forum base and the rest of the remote world for specific questions you have. That would be a great way to get through this. I would be happy to answer any questions you have - you can find my contact information at www.totalcontrolremotes.com

Vincent

Thanks Vincent- Do you believe I have had this for over a year and still not set it up. I took it out of the box a few times and hooked it to my PC but it just seemed so overwhelming so always put it away. I will try again soon.

-Tom
post #16 of 17 Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Hi Tom- Just want to reiterate for end users the software differences between the MX-810 and other remotes in the URC line. The MX-810 programs like a Harmony, but the wizard is much more advanced and less organized. What does this mean? It means that if you learn the ins and outs there are many "back-doors" for lack of a better word that will allow you to customize it outside of the wizard. When you are programming a Harmony remote the experience is that the software is controlling YOU - telling YOU what to do next. The 810 is wizard based but allows you the flexibility of accessing various wizard functions (out of order) to allow you to customize a bit more deeply. Installers don't like it because if they are going to have a non-sequential process they would just prefer to program it with the regular software. End users dont like it because it may appear to be disorganized and vague - that is because it's really made for installers who can have the luxury of training and accessing resources that unauthorized dealers have.

So you see this was made by URC to kind of allow an installer to program a system without having to do a lot of the dragging, dropping, thinking, etc but in fact that is what goes into most of the systems (at least most of the systems I program). Would I recommend an MX-810? Probably, but depending on what is being controlled. If it's a very straightforward setup in one room with some video and audio without getting too fancy sure. It's really a nice looking remote with some powerful RF features as well as highly customizable (once you learn). However, I would caution the person that it's best programmed by a URC programmer and hope he takes me up on it. Otherwise he may be surprised at the "what do I do next" factor.

The MX-700,850, and higher are programmable remotes that are set up on the first layer - not behind the scenes. I prefer them because what you see is what you get - I don't like programs making assumptions for me and then I have to go back to change them. I would rather build a configuration from the ground up based on what I want and don't want. Yes, there is more of a learning curve but I think that it's worth the investment in time and effort. I hope I helped answer some questions about how the MX-810 programs. Please feel free to PM with any questions.

Total Control Remotes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM

My suggestions:

- create a new page on the device and mark it as hidden (so it won't show up on the remote)
- move the existing pause button to that page
- on the page where you moved the pause button from, make sure the pause button is empty
- create a macro
- step 1: link to original pause you've moved
- step 2: link to code/macro for the light control
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page