Originally Posted by joe221
Also: I'm starting to wonder if this thread in the thread deserves a thread of it's own, if you'd like to start and host it?? It's gonna get busy! People are liking this remote and your work. Or maybe working with this guy http://squareworld.com/harmony/
it seems a natural fit!
I agree in principle, but disagree otherwise.
This is a thread geared towards discussing the Harmony One. The Harmony product line, and the "favorite" icons in particular are not new and favorite icons shouldn't be such a big discussion topic littering the One thread.
That said, I am a Harmony 880 owner that was already planning to purchase a One for the reasons everyone has been talking about (ergonomic redesign, etc.). I had been stalking this thread for information as I waited the One to become available for purchase. As someone that never used favorites on my 880 (not really sure why), all the chatter in this thread, got my attention when I got my One and WOW!
I think squareeyes has the right idea with seeing how much additional chatter comes, or if it quiets down. squareeyes' icons are geared specifically towards the One (with the black background) so this thread isn't necessarily wrong. After an initial flurry of "make me X!" requests, I figure it should quiet down here. I do hope that squareeyes implements some kind of website to showcase his work better -- the icons he's done are absolutely great and certainly has me hooked!
I do think Logitech could/should do better with marketing favorites and making them easier to use. There are some canned logos with the One, but there aren't enough included to be meaningful (unless I'm missing a button to click on in the software somewhere). For a $250 remote control, just selling the One on "universal remote" grounds isn't enough in my opinion. squareeyes has put together some really nice looking icons that I'm sure Logitech could have easily done as well for a real bonus (how many One users will come to sites like these to find custom icons?)
As for the One, as I mentioned, I am a longtime 880 user. I now have the 880 in the bedroom with the One in the living room. The One is a fantastic remote:
- the ergonomic feel of the unit in the hand is much nicer than the 880
- the weight of it in the hand feels better than the 880. I was using my 880 this morning in bed and almost dropped it.
- the feel of the buttons is GREAT! I got used to the layout of the 880 and could generally stop, pause, etc. things by touch, but the One is much better in this regards.
- the charger seems a bit better designed. There are many horror stories about charging the 880 (I originally had an early 880 and had issues too though my current 880 is better). The One has two contacts for charging instead of three on the 880. On the One itself, the contacts themselves are much larger as well.
- the touchscreen. I do kind of wish the left/right buttons to go to the previous/next screens were hard buttons but I figure I'll get used to it. Overall, it's pretty snazzy and easy to use.