2Likes

post #301 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerII View Post

Where did you get this rebate? I didn't see it on Logitech.

I found it in another post on page 5 #124.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

latest icons requested have been uploaded. tmc was a trick and had to be redesigned from scratch. there're 3 versions each of standard and hd tmc. let me know how it turns out on the remote.
big ten (his), hallmark (hers), and the weather channel also included along with a whole slew of others. also added to the xm zip.
i won't post any more new today, but if i see any more requests than look for those plus more tomorrow.
also, confirmed that the icon resize bug is present in both tron and polymer themes. my icons will look good in the default diode theme and absolutely horrible on the other two. i'll bring that up with support tomorrow.
i'll also bring up the lack of margarita mixing functionality. i'm a little peeved that this remote does not also prepare food. for $250.00 you'd think it could whip up an egg sandwich or something.
thanks to all for your kind icon kudos. i'm having alot fun tweaking this remote.
,randy

Awesome work! If you are taking any requests, I am a huge NFL fan & subscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket & Super Fan package. The regular season is over so I have no immediate need for an icon, but if you could find the time I would love to have "The Red Zone Channel" & "Sunday NFL Ticket" Icons!

Thanks
post #303 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

Are you sure you're customizing the buttons for the ACTIVITY rather than the Tivo DEVICE? Activities and devices are independent of one another and are customized separately.

That's exactly the problem. I was changing Device when I wanted Activity.

I'm finding the instructions lacking on some customization features, but I'm figuring it out.
post #304 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Liked: 10
I just wanted to chime in on the battery issue. I got my One last Friday and charged it for probably 4 hours. Exactly one week later, the battery indicator was low (orange), so I charged it.

I don't know how much longer it could have gone because I didn't care to try (a full week is more than enough for me). But I hope others will start posting their experience with how long the charge lasts for the One.

squareeyes, I can confirm that the One has actual images for the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down commands for TiVo. They look nice and resemble the buttons on the actual TiVo remote. If Logitech would allow 1) custom icons for activities, and 2) 6 activities per page, I would be delighted.
post #305 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk10 View Post

I just got a Harmony One and am trying to set it up to control my TiVo HD. However, it's trying to learn the "." button for my digital channels, which the TiVo remote does not have. Does anyone know how I can program the "." into the Harmony One for the TiVo setup? Thanks in advance.

lk10,

I also have a TiVo HD. Do you have a problem with the "LiveTV" button acting as a previous channel button (takes you back to the last channel you were on)? It shows that it is configured correctly on my setup but doesn't act properly. Any ideas?
post #306 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

I found it in another post on page 5 #124.

I saw it too thanks, but I was one day too late.. doh...
post #307 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

latest icons requested have been uploaded. tmc was a trick and had to be redesigned from scratch. there're 3 versions each of standard and hd tmc. let me know how it turns out on the remote.
big ten (his), hallmark (hers), and the weather channel also included along with a whole slew of others. also added to the xm zip.
i won't post any more new today, but if i see any more requests than look for those plus more tomorrow.
also, confirmed that the icon resize bug is present in both tron and polymer themes. my icons will look good in the default diode theme and absolutely horrible on the other two. i'll bring that up with support tomorrow.
i'll also bring up the lack of margarita mixing functionality. i'm a little peeved that this remote does not also prepare food. for $250.00 you'd think it could whip up an egg sandwich or something.
thanks to all for your kind icon kudos. i'm having alot fun tweaking this remote.
,randy

They look AMAZING, can't wait to use them! Soon, I hope.
Dare I ask for a local channel. KCAL, Channel 9 Los Angeles is not affiliated (sort of) the others I can use a network logo.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #308 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 PM

I took the 10% Best Buy coupon that was posted on here (thanks!) but I was one day too slow for the Logitech rebate.... oh well. I've never had a programmable remote like this so I'm a noob, but this device is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. The instructions aren't very comprehensive, they mostly just tell you how to set it up, you basically teach yourself and there is help. I set it up with my Sony RPTV, Pio AVR, DirecTiVo, Sony DVD player and an ancient VCR I never use. 90% of the default set up suggestions worked but there was no "DVD" input option for the Pio AVR, but I figured out how to add it myself. I also need to refine the "logic" of when to turn things on/off since apparently my Sony RPTV does not have discrete commands and it toggles the power on/off when switching between activities and I don't want it to do that. The screen is really nice and sharp and bright. No problems with touching the right part. My only complaints are minor. I wish the texture on the top was not so slick. It is so shiny and smooth it is almost slippery. The response is a little slow when using my TiVo. I guess I need to check the "delay" but I thought it was set to "0" already. I'm still learning about it and I'm sure I'll be tweaking it for some time. So far I give it "two thumbs up."

BTW mine came with version 7.4 software in the box.
post #309 of 11315 Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:

happy birthday hbanzon!
so far it appears that the only custom buttons are the "favorites". the graphical a, b and c buttons, as well as xbox 360 and playstation 3 controller buttons are included w/in the harmony database. they are preset and not editable. i also saw a post on one of the forums with tivo "thumbs up/down" graphical buttons coming up under a user's "watch tivo" activity.
i'm hoping that harmony will eventually release a software update that will allow us to edit all of our own custom buttons. i'm not holding my breath though.
,randy

My One had the TiVo Thumbs Up and Dn icons show up as the default in the LCD screen. Maybe because I have the 7.4 software in the box??? I actually removed them since I don't do the Suggestions thing. If you want a custom setup for a device, you might want to do what I did.... there are a lot of commands on my AVR remote that I wanted access to. So I made a new activity called "Control Receiver" and I made a custom mapping of the One buttons and LCD buttons to the AVR remote commands that I wanted quick access to. Like the surround settings for example. I didn't even see them under the "device" soft menu until after I did this, but there are so many commands you have to page through several pages to get what you want.

EDIT: Okay you CAN customize the "device" buttons through the software. You just have to select the "devices" tab vice the "Activities" tab... must be a noob mistake. And I found discrete ON and OFF for my Sony RPTV. I'm getting there... this is getting better and better.
post #310 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 04:15 AM

squareeyes: Thanks for the great Icons!! Is there anyway to get more HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channel Icons. Would love to have more of them beyond their main channels. Many thanks again they look great.. Hope they will update so you can have Icons for your alternative buttons as well Beyond the A, B, Thumbs up and such.
post #311 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerII View Post

I took the 10% Best Buy coupon that was posted on here (thanks!) but I was one day too slow for the Logitech rebate.... oh well. I've never had a programmable remote like this so I'm a noob, but this device is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. The instructions aren't very comprehensive, they mostly just tell you how to set it up, you basically teach yourself and there is help. I set it up with my Sony RPTV, Pio AVR, DirecTiVo, Sony DVD player and an ancient VCR I never use. 90% of the default set up suggestions worked but there was no "DVD" input option for the Pio AVR, but I figured out how to add it myself. I also need to refine the "logic" of when to turn things on/off since apparently my Sony RPTV does not have discrete commands and it toggles the power on/off when switching between activities and I don't want it to do that. The screen is really nice and sharp and bright. No problems with touching the right part. My only complaints are minor. I wish the texture on the top was not so slick. It is so shiny and smooth it is almost slippery. The response is a little slow when using my TiVo. I guess I need to check the "delay" but I thought it was set to "0" already. I'm still learning about it and I'm sure I'll be tweaking it for some time. So far I give it "two thumbs up."

BTW mine came with version 7.4 software in the box.

I had two Sony RPTVs before my current Mits and I can tell you there are LOADS of discrete controls for it. First tell the Harmony in it's software you turn the TV on with separate "on" and "off" commands not a toggle. that should fix that issue. Next, with the remote set to watch TV and you in front of the TV go into the TV "device" you should now see a listing of discrete commands that you can try out and scroll through. Some will be obvious some may be mislabeled. Inventory them by trying them. Make notes as to which will be extra helpful. You can now go to the software and assign them to appropriate buttons or the LCD screen.
Have fun!

Update: I missed your last post, I see you found this feature. Enjoy!

post #312 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4ndyj View Post

Kickass Logo Pack made by r4ndyj (that's me)

r4ndy's Logitech One Logos
password: avsforum

I put these all together because the resolution of all the ones in the packs I downloaded sucks. Either that or they were the wrong size. These are all 75x44 and look great on our remotes. There's 35 total of all the better channels. Enough to fill up your 24 favorites. Enjoy.

Randy for ease of use can it be redone a a zip file? I think many will have problems with rar files??

post #313 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've started updating Post #1 with icon links. Please PM me if I missed any or need to update a location or you see a new review. I'll try to keep it current as we enhance our experience with this remote!

post #314 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi all. Got a question for you Harmony gurus........
I have "eyeball" lights in the ceiling over my fireplace. A while back I installed a remote controlled dimmer for them. I created an activity for them, which I labeled "Fireplace Lights" (clever, huh?). Tested, and it worked fine. I then added two buttons to this activity's screen, "brighter" and "dimmer". Tested again, and all is well; works like a charm.
But, if I'm in an activity such as watch TV (TV and cable box are on), and I want to turn the lights on, I go to that activity and when I turn the lights on, everything else turns off.
How do I get an activity, such as my fireplace lights, to ignore all other equipment that's already on (or off)?
Also, is there a way to get back to the previous activity without going to the activities screen and having to press that activity again, as I would when using the fireplace lights and then back to the watch TV?
Thanks.
post #315 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Assuming it's the same software as other harmony remotes:

1. settings -> change options -> select "leave on" for "turn off unused devices".

2. I assume that you could add the lights to your watch tv activity so you don't have to leave the activity or go to device mode to change the lights instead of into a different activity so that when you hit activity again you'd be taken back in the watch tv activity.
post #316 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by userb View Post

Assuming it's the same software as other harmony remotes:

1. settings -> change options -> select "leave on" for "turn off unused devices".

2. I assume that you could add the lights to your watch tv activity so you don't have to leave the activity or go to device mode to change the lights instead of into a different activity so that when you hit activity again you'd be taken back in the watch tv activity.

Thanks userb. The settings did it.
I also found that the dimmer with the appropriate dim/bright buttons was added to the devices screen. So if I'm in an activity I can select the devices screen and there they are, and then pressing the current activity button brings me back.
This thing is getting better the more I play with it.
Thanks again!
post #317 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
icons updated this morning.

included:
-sunday ticket and red zone (several versions of each)
-all second-tier for showtime, hbo, starz and cinemax (the image quality on the cinemax is dismal. i'll update those when i can find better high-res or vector source art. encore's 2nd-tier to come)
-kcal's included

you may also find new and cleaned-up versions of some of the previously uploaded icons
-new cinemax as 3d
-new tmc version with words spelled out and stacked
-all mojo, hbo, starz and show cleaned up
-mhd cleaned up

i'll update old ones periodically as i find better source art.

spoke with harmony t2 this morning about the polymer and tron theme "favorites" image bug. an engineer will call me next week with information or resolution.

have a great weekend and have fun updating your remotes.

,r

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #318 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Liked: 22
Those of you who went from the 880 to the Harmony one... was it worth it?
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger tonight.

John Burton

post #319 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylucky View Post

I picked up mine yesterday from BB (they honored the 10% off coupon!), took it home, and used the "Upgrade Remote" option in the new software to convert my 880 over. Everything worked as expected, I had to go and re-do all of my custom buttons, etc, but I'm having a problem with duplicate entries showing up on the remote for several activities and not in the software. Multiple updates to the remote did not remove these duplicates.

As an example, for my Xbox 360, I have buttons 1-7 set to "On/Off", "MCE", "A", "B", "X", "Y", "Eject" in the software, but when I select the activity it shows 3 pages of buttons that effectively duplicate what I have set up, as well as add a couple more that I don't even have configured. The buttons also appear to be randomly placed and do not show up as I had arranged them.

The only thing I can think of is to completely remove the activity, update the remote, add the activity and re-do my configuration, then update the remote again. Has anyone else had this problem and can offer any other suggestions before I start from scratch?

jay,
spoke with harmony t2 this morning about this. a sw engineer will contact me next week with info or resolution. i'll let you know what comes of it.
also spoke with them about the possibility of placing the button icons for this and other activities on all lcd screens for that activity. this would allow us to have access to the buttons no matter what screen we're on and would be a boon for those of us with colored buttons on our devices' remotes. hopefully it would clear up the debate a bit on the colored-button issue.
i'll follow up on that too.
,r

post #320 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfixitBIG View Post

Depends how much you dislike the hard button layout of the 880. If you are fine with the hard buttons on the 880, then I see no reason to upgrade. You actually lose some functionality on the One because of the reduced information on the LCD screen.

But if you can't stand the hard buttons on the 880 and can live with the mentioned LCD problems on the One, then I'd upgrade if money was of no concern. Software is the same, so don't expect anything new there.
post #321 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Absolutely!
post #322 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i switched from a 720- 100% hard-buttoned like the 880- and i have to admit that my fingers still twitch occaisionally as they instinctively search for those ol' llcd hard buttons. and i still have to look down at the new remote sometimes to see what i'm doing.
all that said, switching was definitely worth it. my fingers are slowly getting used to the touch screen layout and the screen resolution itself yields nice-looking images. the hard-button layout of the one is superior to the 720 w/o a doubt.

post #323 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I went to my local CC today and picked up a Harmony One for 149.99. Dont know if its a mistake but I left there feeling like I stole something

I am having issues when turning my Pioneer 5080 on. I mean it turns on OK but does not want to switch inputs. Any ideas?
post #324 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Absolutely. Now, granted, I only had the 880 for one month, but here are my thoughts:

The 880 overall just felt cheap. The buttons felt like extremely cheap plastic. The buttons on the side of the LCD screen were not only wiggly, but very small (and I have small hands). The shape of the 880 was ok, but the One is a definite improvement. The weight on the 880 was ok, but the One is weighted perfectly (majority of the weight in in the back where your palm is). The layout is much better on the One, it just seems more logical to me. The LCD screen is of a much better quality on the One than on the 880. The beautiful logos squareeyes created would look like garbage on the 880.

The One is just a much more polished and complete package in my opinion. It's very elegant for those who care about form matching function. I have said before that I have no problems using the touch screen. I suspect that people who have problems hitting the right buttons either have very large fingers or, more likely, the are touching the screen with the remote held out in front of them at an angle, which means they're not actually touching where they think they are. For example, if they put the One on a table and looked down at it from directly above, they would have no problem touching the right areas of the screen. But because it is held at an angle, you actually touch a little lower on the screen than you think you are. Obviously, this may not be the case, but I seem to recall iPhone users reporting similar problems right after the phone was launched. It just takes a little time to get used to.

My complaints about the One are that you can't have more than 3 activities on screen at once (hopefully not for long). I would love to be able to choose a 3, 4, 6, or even 8 button layout. Also, I don't like the piano black finish. I despise that consumer electronics companies decided this was a cool new look to introduce. I hated it when Sharp did it with their new Aquos series in 2006 (which I still bought). And I don't like it on the One. This is more just a pet peeve of mine and obviously not a deal breaker. But the underside of the One has a matte look and feel to it that I think looks really nice and I would have preferred this on the top also.

The One isn't a big leap forward in functionality, the 880 can do everything the One can do. But it is a big leap forward in design. Whether it's the layout of the hard buttons or the versatility of the touch screen, the design makes the function that much better and easier to use than the 880.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask more specific questions and I'll do my best to answer. One thing I can say, I would be kicking myself right now if I was stuck with the 880. The One is much, much better in my opinion.
post #325 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

I am having issues when turning my Pioneer 5080 on. I mean it turns on OK but does not want to switch inputs. Any ideas?

It probably just doesn't have the correct input switching commands and/or method for your TV. Go into the software and on the TV's settings go to Adjust inputs...give us info on which "Method" it is set to use, and the source list, and the button(s) used to cycle through inputs...I've seen several TVs where this had to be changed in the software.
post #326 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:

jay,
spoke with harmony t2 this morning about this. a sw engineer will contact me next week with info or resolution. i'll let you know what comes of it.
also spoke with them about the possibility of placing the button icons for this and other activities on all lcd screens for that activity. this would allow us to have access to the buttons no matter what screen we're on and would be a boon for those of us with colored buttons on our devices' remotes. hopefully it would clear up the debate a bit on the colored-button issue.
i'll follow up on that too.
,r

Fantastic! Thank you. Did they acknowledge it as an issue? My thoughts are that it's a bug with the "Play a Game" activity... someone probably accidentally duplicated a function call to put the icons on the screen. I haven't been able to get duplicate icons with any other activity. At least yet

I'll give them a call also, just to get another ticket in their system. Hopefully this can be easily fixed with either a FW or SW update.
post #327 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, now my story, as if you cared...

I got my One today!

Some of you may have received an email from Logitech asking about your experience with Harmony Remotes. The first 100 responders would get a $50 coupon for the Logitech Store. I wrote a story and submitted it and got said coupon. Got a Wave Keyboard Set. Figured I could do better for the One on Amazon or Best Buy. Well I don't have to. A few days to a week after I submitted I got a phone call from Kristin with the ad agency for Logitech. They loved my story and were interested in me coming to a studio in LA to be interviewed, I'd get $100 for my time and rights. I thought it'd be fun so I said yes. Long story short I went in today and was previously offered the opportunity to trade my cash offer for a One.
The interview/taping was fun and it (if I didn't break the camera) will be on the Logitech site in a few weeks. They are interviewing other folks too.

I'll have time to play with the One later today!!
My fifteen minutes are ticking!

post #328 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I would say yes, definitely. I'm still getting used to the layout, as I had my 880 for a little over 2 years, but it's definitely a superior remote. Once my fingers get their memory updated to the new locations and feel of the buttons, I know I won't have to look at it as often as I did with the 880.

If you do pull the trigger, try and get it at BB with the coupon, if you can.
post #329 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Liked: 24
After a post I found on SlickDeals, you guys might want to try your local Circuit City.

I just called my local CC (Las Vegas) and the associate told me no stores in the valley had them in stock but the price was 149.99.
post #330 of 11315 Old 02-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

icons updated this morning.

included:
-sunday ticket and red zone (several versions of each)
-all second-tier for showtime, hbo, starz and cinemax (the image quality on the cinemax is dismal. i'll update those when i can find better high-res or vector source art. encore's 2nd-tier to come)
-kcal's included

you may also find new and cleaned-up versions of some of the previously uploaded icons
-new cinemax as 3d
-new tmc version with words spelled out and stacked
-all mojo, hbo, starz and show cleaned up
-mhd cleaned up

i'll update old ones periodically as i find better source art.

spoke with harmony t2 this morning about the polymer and tron theme "favorites" image bug. an engineer will call me next week with information or resolution.

have a great weekend and have fun updating your remotes.

,r

Thanks for the NFL Logos squareeyes.....You are the man!!!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page