Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #541 of 11376 Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the best solution is Logitech stepping up and sending every new model of Harmony to Squareeyes for development purpose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 11376 Old 02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

I think the best solution is Logitech stepping up and sending every new model of Harmony to Squareeyes for development purpose

Or maybe if Logitech paid for him to get round eyes (like the rest of us) the icons might be even more superb!
post #543 of 11376 Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM

When I switch activities from "Watch DVD" to "Watch TV", part of the sequence is to switch my CRT TV to channel 3 which is an unnecessary step. I tried to re-run the setup and was not able to find a way to get rid of that step. It causes a brief flicker when going to channel 3 which is not a big deal but I would still like to delete it. Any suggestions would be helpful. This remote is incredible! My last remote was the Marantz RC2000MKII which was one of the best at one time but got too cumbersome after a while. Great icons squareeyes...let us know where we can contribute.

"Maybe poker's just not your game...I know, lets have a spelling contest."
post #544 of 11376 Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Anyone with an 8300 HD have this happen? Everything else works great but I have an Activity to listen to Music Choice (which not only turns on my bedroom speakers and turns off ProLogic, but also gives me a whole new set of Favorite channels) and have it set to tune in one of the channels which is a 3 digit number. No matter how I seem to set the delays, the One never sends out all 3 digits fast enough before the 8300 tunes in a 1 or 2 digit channel.

Also, I have an older Yamaha receiver (RX-V992). The presets for the Direction Up/Down/Left/Right were not working, and when I tried to Learn the Command from both the original remote AND my MX500, the One won't see the IR signal! I have learned plenty of commands from other remotes. A puzzler.

Squareeyes, like you don't already have enough on your plate! How about BET Jazz and Ovation? Also, a local station here - NYC TV. Thanks for all your awesome work!
post #545 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitweight View Post

Anyone with an 8300 HD have this happen? Everything else works great but I have an Activity to listen to Music Choice (which not only turns on my bedroom speakers and turns off ProLogic, but also gives me a whole new set of Favorite channels) and have it set to tune in one of the channels which is a 3 digit number. No matter how I seem to set the delays, the One never sends out all 3 digits fast enough before the 8300 tunes in a 1 or 2 digit channel.

Also, I have an older Yamaha receiver (RX-V992). The presets for the Direction Up/Down/Left/Right were not working, and when I tried to Learn the Command from both the original remote AND my MX500, the One won't see the IR signal! I have learned plenty of commands from other remotes. A puzzler.

Squareeyes, like you don't already have enough on your plate! How about BET Jazz and Ovation? Also, a local station here - NYC TV. Thanks for all your awesome work!

i'm having the same problem in both regards:
my 8300 is slow to change channel when in "listen to radio" activity
-and-
as of tonight... i cannot 'teach' my harmony one any ir codes! can a third party on the forum confirm this with their remote? i will contact support via phone tomorrow and post a note as well.

p.s. bet jazz and ovation added to list.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #546 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve View Post

Hey Randy,

When you get a chance, can you post your settings for your 8300? My other guess could be the software in the STB.

Also, great site! I'd donate a couple of dollars if all of the traffic is using up your limit. Rather not see your page go down.

Is donating the same as selling...thats a fine line...LOL.

radyoactve,

my 8300hd settings as follows:
power on delay
inter-key
inter-device

channel switching is very fast, although now that you mentioned it, i compared the channel browsing in the guide to my original 8300 remote. there is definitely a lag even with inter-key at zero. it results in the latent 2-3 commands continuing after button-mashing has stopped. the original remote is much more accurate with speed of command.

i'm wondering if this is a limitation of the one's transmission speed of ir signals.
can anyone else confirm?

post #547 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:

The same thing happened to me the other night. See post #485 on page 17.

I was trying to learn a command for my PVR that wasn't working as it should. The H1 was saying it captured it but it didn't do what it was supposed to on my PVR. I went back into re-learn it and the Harmony software (v7.4.1 Mac OS X) stated it couldn't capture the signal this time. Tried restarting computer, H1, and even capturing the RAW command with no luck. So I posted here, with no responses.

Went back to it last night to see if I could get it working and tried a RAW capture first of and it took! The command even worked properly with my PVR this time. Not sure what the difference was but I did notice that my Harmony software is now at 7.4.2.1 which I think I may have upgraded to after my issue from the other night.

Good luck.
post #548 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

leitweight,
there is an update to the sa 8300 hd 'device' in the harmony desktop software. i updated it this morning and made sure under 'advanced settings' it knows to add the "enter" command after the numerical channel input.
the dvr now receives all three digits plus enter and it works just fine.
oh, and also have the dvr's inter device delay at 0.
hope that helps.
,r

post #549 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBee63 View Post

I was trying to learn a command for my PVR that wasn't working as it should. The H1 was saying it captured it but it didn't do what it was supposed to on my PVR. I went back into re-learn it and the Harmony software (v7.4.1 Mac OS X) stated it couldn't capture the signal this time. Tried restarting computer, H1, and even capturing the RAW command with no luck. So I posted here, with no responses.

Went back to it last night to see if I could get it working and tried a RAW capture first of and it took! The command even worked properly with my PVR this time. Not sure what the difference was but I did notice that my Harmony software is now at 7.4.2.1 which I think I may have upgraded to after my issue from the other night.

Good luck.

i'm calling support today and will bring up this issue.
will post update.
,r

post #550 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 AM

I had problems learning codes and called tech support a few nights ago and they are aware of the problem. They claim that a lot of electronic interference can be causing it. The tier 2 tech support asked me if i was using a laptop or desktop, how far away I was from the TV/receiver and microwave/kitchen appliances. Then he had me unplug my laptop and stretch the USB cord as far from my laptop as possible and try again. I was skeptical but it worked. I've done it that way since and have not had any problems.

Edit: I just remembered what was happening when I tried to learn a code. When I hit the learn button it would bring up the next page and it would say that the key was already detected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

i'm having the same problem in both regards:
my 8300 is slow to change channel when in "listen to radio" activity
-and-
as of tonight... i cannot 'teach' my harmony one any ir codes! can a third party on the forum confirm this with their remote? i will contact support via phone tomorrow and post a note as well.

p.s. bet jazz and ovation added to list.

post #551 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 AM

I have the current firmware and still had the same problem so i don't think the latest firmware fixed the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBee63 View Post

Good luck.

post #552 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve View Post

I have the current firmware and still had the same problem so i don't think the latest firmware fixed the problem.

sea, leit, eric,
i'm on hold w/ t2 support right now and of course the ir capture worked seamlessly right off the bat while talking with them a few minutes ago. went through and tested diff devices and all are fine. you may try to teach the ir again now to see if it's still an issue.
,r

post #553 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

all xm radio icons are now available to download only at the 'radio' link at my site.
,r

post #554 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Are favorite icons available when you set up a Listen to Music Activity? I cannot seem to find where you would configure the favorite channels for Listen to Music? Squareeeyes, how do you use your xm radio icons if the favorite channels are not available?

Also, does anybody know what the Listen Menu is? If you click on Settings on your Listen to Radio activity and click Change Options, there is an option to show or hide the Listen Menu. What is the Listen Menu?
post #555 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvezter View Post

Are favorite icons available when you set up a Listen to Music Activity? I cannot seem to find where you would configure the favorite channels for Listen to Music? Squareeeyes, how do you use your xm radio icons if the favorite channels are not available?

Also, does anybody know what the Listen Menu is? If you click on Settings on your Listen to Radio activity and click Change Options, there is an option to show or hide the Listen Menu. What is the Listen Menu?

sylvezter,
to be able to designate favorites on my 'listen to radio' activity i set up the activity as a renamed duplicate to 'watch tv'. i get my music through the dvr as music choice and local stations as channels. as far as i know the harmony software allows you to use favorites only with activities that utilize specific devices (my dvr being one of them).
i'm not sure what Listen Menu is. it is not available in my activity so i assume it is specific to your device being used.
hope that helps.
,r

post #556 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

not that i don't have enough icon requests to get to, but i thought i'd check out the resolution of the remote screen with some open domain images from nasa. if you're interested, check out the slideshow section of the iconharmony.com site for a hubble telescope photo slideshow. the resolution, color and contrast of the harmony one screen is absolutely amazing! i really like this remote.

post #557 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:

sea, leit, eric,
i'm on hold w/ t2 support right now and of course the ir capture worked seamlessly right off the bat while talking with them a few minutes ago. went through and tested diff devices and all are fine. you may try to teach the ir again now to see if it's still an issue.
,r

Thanks for everyone's input. Today, it IS learning and my 8300 HD problems seemed to be solved as well. (I used a 2000 ms Power-on delay. Also, I don't need to press enter on my 8300.). I don't know if it made a difference, but after all the discussion of signal interference, I switched back to the included USB cable with the big knob on it. I was using one without the knob but perhaps it's there for a reason, eh? Now if I could only get 2 more pages of Favorites so I could use all of squareeyes' icons, I'd be all set!
post #558 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

not that i don't have enough icon requests to get to, but i thought i'd check out the resolution of the remote screen with some open domain images from nasa. if you're interested, check out the slideshow section of the iconharmony.com site for a hubble telescope photo slideshow. the resolution, color and contrast of the harmony one screen is absolutely amazing! i really like this remote.

Really nice, Randy! Now you've added a new "activity" to my life. I watch paint dry, I watch grass grow, now I watch my remote control charge its batteries!
It is the most beautiful of the three, though.

On a side note, the graphics work on the 880 too.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #559 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Really nice, Randy! Now you've added a new "activity" to my life. I watch paint dry, I watch grass grow, now I watch my remote control charge its batteries!
It is the most beautiful of the three, though.

On a side note, the graphics work on the 880 too.

i hope they look alright on the 880. i know my 720 had a similar screen and i had to tweak those icons alot to make them look decent.

i'll go ahead and get started on creating slide shows of paint drying and grass growing. then you can kill two birds...

post #560 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

leitweight,
there is an update to the sa 8300 hd 'device' in the harmony desktop software. i updated it this morning and made sure under 'advanced settings' it knows to add the "enter" command after the numerical channel input.
the dvr now receives all three digits plus enter and it works just fine.
oh, and also have the dvr's inter device delay at 0.
hope that helps.
,r

How did you know there was an update to the sa 8300 hd device? I don't see anything in the software indicating there is an update, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
post #561 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One another note, while I was trying out the slideshow on the 880 I tried the icons too. While not perfect, sizing would help, it was usable. The thing with the 880 is it really likes blue backgrounds no matter what background image I choose. I get blue lines around the icons. I even used the darkest background I could find.

post #562 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post

How did you know there was an update to the sa 8300 hd device? I don't see anything in the software indicating there is an update, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

it notified me in the harmony software as i began making changes to that specific device. you may have already had the updated version if you recently set up your remote for the first time. for me, i've had that device in there for over a year- transferred over from my old remote. and it's been months since i had gone into that device to tweak it.

post #563 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

it notified me in the harmony software as i began making changes to that specific device. you may have already had the updated version if you recently set up your remote for the first time. for me, i've had that device in there for over a year- transferred over from my old remote. and it's been months since i had gone into that device to tweak it.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I received an 880 for Xmas from my children and set up the 880 Xmas night. As soon as the One was available, I bought one and returned the 880 to Amazon for a refund. I just used the replace remote button in the software to set up the One. All of this has happened within the last 1.5 months. I guess the 8300 update happened b4 I set mine up as I've never seen any update notification for that device.
post #564 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM

For what it's worth, I seem to have nailed down MY One's learning problem. I am working with it on a laptop (Apple G4 PowerBook), and it seems whenever I have the charger (also Apple) plugged into the laptop, learning doesn't work. As soon as I unplug the charger from the laptop, learning works just fine. The charger must be causing so much interference, the One can't learn the IR code properly. I should have thought about that earlier, because when I have that laptop charger plugged in, a PowerHouse IR-543 X-10 light controller on the same outlet doesn't respond. I have to unplug the charger from that outlet to get the X-10 to respond. X-10's seem to be sensitive to noisy electrical wiring, so my charger must be dirtying everything up! Just thought this might help somebody.
post #565 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what it's worth, I seem to have nailed down MY One's learning problem. I am working with it on a laptop, and it seems whenever I have the charger plugged into the laptop, learning doesn't work. As soon as I unplug the charger from the laptop, learning works just fine. The charger must be causing so much interference, the One can't learn the IR code properly. I should have thought about that earlier, because when I have that laptop charger plugged in, an X-10 light controller on the same outlet doesn't respond. I have to unplug the charger from that outlet to get the X-10 to respond. X-10's seem to be sensitive to noisy electrical wiring, so my charger must be dirtying everything up! Just thought this might help somebody.

Please mention the brands involved, it may help someone searching the thread later.

post #566 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I grabbed one of the icons off of their website and extracted the gradient bezel from one of Randy's other icons and tried to make a decent icon for the Logo channel. Hope this is useful and thanks a million to Randy for all of his hard work creating this artwork!
LL
post #567 of 11376 Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM

I had replaced my 880 with the One a few days ago and everything was working fine. I had it set up to control my Toshiba Regza, Playstation 2 and 3, xbox and yamaha receiver. When selecting the activity to play the ps2, the remote would power it on briefly and then turn it off. Using the Help key always fixed the issue and I'd get my PS2 up and running with no further issues. That is until today. Having gotten fed up with always having to use the Help key to get the "Play Playstation 2" activity to work right, I referred to the software to troubleshoot the issue. This ultimately led to more problems, and after several updates and running through every troubleshoot procedure I could, the remote not only does not power up the PS2, but using the Help key now won't even fix the problem. Where as it used to ask me "Is your Playstation 2 turned on?", it now just says "Ensure your Playstation 2 is on." WTF? I never had to ensure it was on before. And the PS2 now won't respond to any commands at all. I tried teaching the Harmony One commands using my PS2 remote, but that has done nothing. Any thoughts?

| Blue is the color of the sky on a clear day. Red is the color of the horizon at dusk and at dawn. Purple is the color that binds them. |
post #568 of 11376 Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Falcon View Post

I had replaced my 880 with the One a few days ago and everything was working fine. I had it set up to control my Toshiba Regza, Playstation 2 and 3, xbox and yamaha receiver. When selecting the activity to play the ps2, the remote would power it on briefly and then turn it off. Using the Help key always fixed the issue and I'd get my PS2 up and running with no further issues. That is until today. Having gotten fed up with always having to use the Help key to get the "Play Playstation 2" activity to work right, I referred to the software to troubleshoot the issue. This ultimately led to more problems, and after several updates and running through every troubleshoot procedure I could, the remote not only does not power up the PS2, but using the Help key now won't even fix the problem. Where as it used to ask me "Is your Playstation 2 turned on?", it now just says "Ensure your Playstation 2 is on." WTF? I never had to ensure it was on before. And the PS2 now won't respond to any commands at all. I tried teaching the Harmony One commands using my PS2 remote, but that has done nothing. Any thoughts?

All that mucking about may have just hosed the device profile. Try deleting the PS2 then re-adding it from scratch.

If it still has the power problems, concentrate on the "Power settings" option under Device options. You could try re-learning just the power command.
post #569 of 11376 Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

All that mucking about may have just hosed the device profile. Try deleting the PS2 then re-adding it from scratch.

If it still has the power problems, concentrate on the "Power settings" option under Device options. You could try re-learning just the power command.

Yeah, I ultimately deleted the the device and activity all together and started from scratch like you said. At that point, I updated the remote so that it received the changes and did not include an activity for the PS2. So far so good. I then went back and used the set-up wizard to re-add the device and activity. Again, there was no problems. Then I started to test everything:

Activity 1 (Watch Comcast):
HDTV = On > Automatically switches to correct input
Receiver = On > Automatically switches to correct input
All other devices = Off
Works Fine

Activity 2 (Start PS3 / Blu-ray):
Receiver = On > Automatcially switches to correct input
PS3 = Manually Powered On
All other devices = Off
Works Fine

Acitvity 3 (Start PS2):
Receiver = On > Automatically switches to correct input
PS2 = Does not power on
All other devices = Off
Does not work properly

What's weird is that sometimes if I switch to another activity such as "Watch Comcast", the PS2 will sometimes come on, but I'm still unable to control the device with the remote. However, if I hit the Power Off button on the Harmony One the PS2 will turn off along with everything else just like it should. I also tried to make the Harmony One "Learn" the original PS2 remote, but that didn't work either.

As I said previously, at one point I was able to control the PS2 with no problems whatsoever. I just needed to help it along when starting the activity by using the Help key. At this point I'm so frustrated I'm ready to reset all the default settings, uninstall the software and start completely from scratch. If that doesn't work I'm tempted to return the Harmony One and stick with my old 880 which I had no issues with.

Now there's one thing that I failed to mention previously, and that is when I first got the Harmony One I didn't bother to install the software that came with it, rather I just updated the current software on my machine with the latest version (7.4.2) since I figure it was the same thing and would simplify things. I chose the "Replace Remote" option and uploaded all my saved settings from the Harmony 880 profile rather than start from scratch with the Harmony One. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the Harmony One not acting right. I really like this remote, but I want it to work trouble free. Hopefully, I can get this thing to work right before I throw in the towel.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

concentrate on the "Power settings" option under Device options. You could try re-learning just the power command.

I should add that the original PS2 remote does not have a "Power On / Off" button, so there is not an option for me to teach the Harmony One the Power On / Off commands. During the troubleshooting procedure it prompts me by asking specific questions about On / Off capabilities of the original PS2 remote. If I tell say the remote does not have an On / Off button, that's when the "Ensure the PS2 is turned on" rears its ugly head when pressing the Help key on the Harmony One.

| Blue is the color of the sky on a clear day. Red is the color of the horizon at dusk and at dawn. Purple is the color that binds them. |
post #570 of 11376 Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 AM

That is a good point regarding the cable. I've been using a cable that does not have the ferrite bead which I've been using with my URC MX-950 without problems but the One must be more sensitive to outside interference.

I'm not sure that is something that can be fixed with a firmware update?!?

Quote:

Thanks for everyone's input. Today, it IS learning and my 8300 HD problems seemed to be solved as well. (I used a 2000 ms Power-on delay. Also, I don't need to press enter on my 8300.). I don't know if it made a difference, but after all the discussion of signal interference, I switched back to the included USB cable with the big knob on it. I was using one without the knob but perhaps it's there for a reason, eh? Now if I could only get 2 more pages of Favorites so I could use all of squareeyes' icons, I'd be all set!

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page