post #31 of 11319 Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I was hoping for BT compatibility for the PS3. So we ll just have to wait some more....... Maybe the Logitech Harmony TWO

Not likely as it's the anomaly, more likely Sony releases an IR mod for it. I think there is a third party IR adapter??

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 11319 Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

I have question on these. Ive owned on older harmony remote before, but on this one Im wondering in Instead of "Play DVD" I could have 2:

Play Blu-Ray
Play DVD

The reason I ask is that I think I might get an Oppo to do my standard DVD playing. I see from the pictures that it has an Xbox 360 controller, so I was thinking maybe I could put I Blu-ray logo on there if if were possible to have 2 "play DVD" functions. Thanks for any help.

Why not, that's exactly what a Harmony does? The Logo add on maybe maybe not.

post #33 of 11319 Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a picture Harmony One that shows a "Play game" activity. With the Harmony One and the new Harmony v7.4 software, you are no longer limited to text for the LCD functions -- there are a variety of image buttons to choose from.

Source.

I've received conflicting information on whether you can upload your own 75x44 images to use as function buttons in activities and devices. I was first told that you can't, that it would come with a future software release, but now I was just told you could. Need more information on that.
post #34 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 AM

Cool, no more Triangle and Square labels
post #35 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
In the picture posted by bfdtv, it appears that the touch screen allows up to 6 soft buttons at a time (earlier photos only showed 3 soft buttons). That makes the device more attractive to me.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #36 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

In the picture posted by bfdtv, it appears that the touch screen allows up to 6 soft buttons at a time (earlier photos only showed 3 soft buttons). That makes the device more attractive to me.

There are six soft buttons per activity. With favorites, six channel logos are also displayed at once. You can upload your own 75x44 channel logos -- significantly higher resolution than supported by the Harmony 720/880.

That said, there are some reports that the main activity screen is limited to three activities -- Watch TV, Watch DVD, etc -- per page. I am waiting for a response to confirm that. Of course, you can define the order you want activities to appear on the LCD.
post #37 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
NO RF = no point. There for a second I thought I had found the perfect remote, but they missed the point completely if there is no rf
post #38 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Really? Logitech makes a remote called the "One" and doesn't include RF (or bluetooth, zwave, wifi, etc)? It's garbage. My power on macro takes anywhere from 7 to 12 seconds, depending on what I want to do. Who wants to have to point the remote at all of their devices for that long? I'll stick with URC. Granted, I do like the layout.
post #39 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
i don't see any mention of rf anywhere, so I'm assuming they'll just release a Harmony 2 that is the same thing, maybe a different color,add RF and 150.00 to the price.

Seriously, no remote these days should be without RF.

...and the lithium battery, which is usually a good thing, screws me again too. I use the Next Gen Home products battery system that attaches the IR repeated to the AA or AAA battery in remotes. So, guess I'll stick with my 550 for a while longer still.

If that was RF, I'd order one tomorrow
post #40 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

dang.... i would love to get a media center green orb button to use for it. (its one thing i really dont like about the current ones is not being able to have icons to make certain buttons on the lcd stand out)
post #41 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still no report anywhere on how many favorites per activity!? Or how many custom buttons per Activity either??

post #42 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
As for RF, heck, I have 3 DirecTV receivers, DVD player, A/V reciever, FTA receiver and TV all in my home theater and *I* don't use RF. So lack of RF doesn't bother me a bit.

Scott
post #43 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

Really? Logitech makes a remote called the "One" and doesn't include RF (or bluetooth, zwave, wifi, etc)? It's garbage. My power on macro takes anywhere from 7 to 12 seconds, depending on what I want to do. Who wants to have to point the remote at all of their devices for that long? I'll stick with URC. Granted, I do like the layout.

I certainly would not trade my 895 (EU version of 890) for the 885 or any non-RF remote.
post #44 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM

I currently have an 885 and I like the look of this "One" a lot. The only slight reservation I have is that it looks like a SERIOUS fingerprint magnet which is a bit silly for something designed to be touched a lot - but that's a minor detail compared to the MUCH improved button layout.

One question:

These buttons look rubber, are they? I really don't like the noisy "click" buttons on the 885 and would be delighted if they've gone for a more discreet push-button rubber style on this new one.
post #45 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post

I currently have an 885 and I like the look of this "One" a lot. The only slight reservation I have is that it looks like a SERIOUS fingerprint magnet which is a bit silly for something designed to be touched a lot - but that's a minor detail compared to the MUCH improved button layout.

One question:

These buttons look rubber, are they? I really don't like the noisy "click" buttons on the 885 and would be delighted if they've gone for a more discreet push-button rubber style on this new one.

They are not "clicking" buttons like the 880. From what I understand, the buttons stick out more and they depress further, with less effort.

A few CES attendees compared the buttons to the MX500/MX700/MX850 series remotes. I don't know if that is an exaggeration, but the fact that people would even compare them to a MX remote tells me that Harmony has significantly improved the feel of their buttons.
post #46 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine who saw the One at CES called it "cheap". I asked him if the LCD was live and he said no. I assume he was holding a mockup and not a working model. I've yet to read one reviewer call it cheap feeling. So a BIG grain of salt.

post #47 of 11319 Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Meh, my 880 does a fine job.
post #48 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

can anyone comment on the responsiveness of the touchscreen? I've never used a touch screen remote so I'm not aware of any bugs or qwirks associated with them.
post #49 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Does this thing have a better charger than the 880? That might make me switch.

"I bought a new camera. It's very advanced. You don't even need it."

- Steven Wright

post #50 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganoosh View Post

Does this thing have a better charger than the 880? That might make me switch.

what's wrong with the 880 charger?
post #51 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post

what's wrong with the 880 charger?

The remote can be jostled loose too easily. Sometimes the remote won't make contact.

- Steven Wright

post #52 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The remote can be jostled loose too easily. Sometimes the remote won't make contact.

Call tech support, tell them of your problems and see if they send you the new magnetic base!
My 880 was almost two years old when they REPLACED it, free. So I'd take the warranty length as a suggestion and call and ask nicely for help.

post #53 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Call tech support, tell them of your problems and see if they send you the new magnetic base!

In order: I did, I did, and they did. So we'll see how long *this* one lasts.

Another thing: What's this I hear about a version 7.4 of the software? The latest version they have on their website is 7.3.2.5.

- Steven Wright

post #54 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM

According to a post in Logitech's Harmony forum, 7.4 will be shipping with the Harmony One and should be available for download in February. 7.4 also brings full Leopard support.
post #55 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhornet View Post

7.4 also brings full Leopard support.

About bloody time.

Another thing: Logitech used to have a web site you could go to where you could configure the Harmony (you didn't have to use their software). I can't seem to find it though. What happened to it? Anyone remember the address?

- Steven Wright

post #56 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:

About bloody time.

Another thing: Logitech used to have a web site you could go to where you could configure the Harmony (you didn't have to use their software). I can't seem to find it though. What happened to it? Anyone remember the address?

http://members.harmonyremote.com
post #57 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post

Looks cool..... Kinda like a 550 on top and a rounded 880 on the bottom.... i hope they actually spent time on the ergonomics like they say cause my 890s are a pain to operate sometimes. I hope they don't forget to include z-wave like they did with the 1000!

No Z-Wave or RF.

KJ
post #58 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM

I got lucky and got my hands on the Harmony One two days ago (so stupid but I could have had it weeks earlier :P) and so far it is GREAT!!!! no more crashing H1000... no more looking at the LCD "all the time"
My comments so far:
- The desktop software that came with the remote is 7.4 (whereas the latest download is 7.3.2)
- Firmware version is 2.3 for reference
- Documentation indicates Mac and Vista compatibility (I installed onto my trusted XP)
- I was forced to create a new account during the S/W installation but then I logged out and back in with my old account info and simply replace my remote and everything worked
- Favorite Channel Icons now support larger res of 75x44 pixels
- Took over my old background but the new desktop S/W lacks the interface to allow me to change it?
- LCD quality is significantly better than the 880 (or at least my first batch 880) but not quite as good as the H1000
- BTW for those who always complained.... do you see the clock in the upper right corner
- The contact of the remote to the charger is much better and consistent
- I certainly agree with the PCMag review and love the unit so far
- Also no more reaching for my knife to gain access to the USB port like on the H1000
- LCD is bright enough in most conditions I had it in. It does look weired at times and simply does not look as good as the 1000.
- I have not seen any interface to upload custom buttons for commands nor activities yet (still hoping they will show up with finally option to create custom themes) but they do display the icon/image in the interface now besides the selection interface just there is no upload link
- Custom buttons definetely only have 6 per page and for activities there are only 3 but I would not want to see more (the 880 had buttons besides the LCD to allow for smaller icons) With this being a small touchscreen I find myself lacking the confidence of a 100% hit with my chubby fingers at times.
- the touchscreen is very sensitive so I find myself pressing it in error at times but mostly only the lower buttons for commands, favorite and device so no harm done
- with the 880 before and you can't feel your way around it at all but this one I think will do well, especially since they have attempted to design a few of them with different depth and shape. but I am not used to it yet so we will see
- I have not had my 670 I think for a long time so I can't remember if I would prefer the rubbery feel but the buttons on this are easy to press but not too easy to be accidentally triggered (except for the touch screen).
- I can feel and hear the clicking on the buttons but no cause for carpal tunnel syndrom
- overall it is very light but still feels solid but maybe because it's new and shiny and the touchscreen being so sensitive I find myself being very careful about handeling this unit so it is not quite as comfortable as it could be but maybe that will change ones I dropped it a few times. Certainly the remote and the buttons don't creak like the 520/570? I think I had for a real short time
- Battery life is definetely improved as it is still running since Sunday (4 days now) from it's first charge and indicating 2/3 capacity still!!
- the tilt sensor to activate the remote from standby is not as responsive as previous models
- There is a white light on the charger top and you can set it to two different levels of bright or turn it off all together.. pretty cool
- oh the soft buttons around the LCD lights up in orange when you switch to Device mode
- I did not go through the manual or the interface in detail but I did see some form of a transmitter/receiver looking thing on the lower end when I remove my battery cover and I think I do recall seeing learn label somewhere
- funny thing, like the remote is taunting me but when programming the PS3 it knows that it will not work with it as PS3 is BT but it still displays a bunch of buttons in the LCD

In all honesty ever since I upgraded from my 670 I have not been able to be truly "happy" with the usibility and feel of the remote no matter what fanciness LGT has added but I truly believe this is as of yet the closest thing to it. If I could get this design and feel, skip the touchscreen somehow and gain the confidence that it is rocksolid as the old designs it would certainly surpass the 670. In it's current form I would say it comes close enough and is a needed replacement for anything newer than the 670

Shot with DMC-FX01 at 2008-01-10

Shot with DMC-FX01 at 2008-01-10
post #59 of 11319 Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The user above also posted this pic elsehwere:

Can't upload your own images in v7.4. Maybe in v7.5...
post #60 of 11319 Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I was hoping for BT compatibility for the PS3. So we ll just have to wait some more....... Maybe the Logitech Harmony TWO

This should help, reviews are good...

www.amazon.com

search for PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote

AVS wouldn't let me link this?

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page