post #631 of 11305 Old 02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

I created a second Watch TV activity for watching TV with the audio system, and then renamed it to TV With Audio. That allowed me to add Randy's terrific icons to favorites, as it's still a Watch TV activity.

Hey, that's what I did for music choice. Just renamed it Listen to Radio and then picked up the local station logos for my favorites.
Wish I could change that satellite icon to the radio icon on the activity screen though.
,R

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 11305 Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

I created a second Watch TV activity for watching TV with the audio system, and then renamed it to TV With Audio. That allowed me to add Randy's terrific icons to favorites, as it's still a Watch TV activity.

Just redid mine, and will use InputNET and InputXM on command page with Watch TV to do that...thanks!
post #633 of 11305 Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Okay dear forum members, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and ask you all for some help. I need to enlist the aid of a site/database integrator to help put a backend database management tool on my site www.iconharmony.com.

I'm simply unable to spend the time manually scripting the HTML, updating icons, keeping my clients happy at work, and maintaining a semblance of a life at home.

If you would like to donate your time and/or experience to the icon cause, or if you know someone trying to earn their chops by taking on a project like this, please let me know via an email from my site and I'll let you know specifically what I have in mind.

In return I'll offer you a free identity (logo) design or overhaul if you'd like one and- more importantly- web presence on my site. Trust me... I have been swamped with traffic since going live and it has not let up. I've begun receiving requests from around the globe for regional icons and for icons ported to the 8XX and 1000 remotes. With every update I expect an additional spike in traffic.

Please let me know. I'd like to keep this going.

Thanks for your support.
,R

post #634 of 11305 Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM

Liked: 10
Hi All,
Just p/u the H1 and so far its been very easy to setup and use. Firstly, many thanks to Randy for the beautiful work on the station icons! Im familiar w/Logitech's activity based remotes as ive been using the 520 for over two years so it was rather simple enough to transfer all of the programming over to the H1. I saw a reference to the ShieldZone website and decided to place an inquiry to the availability of a shield for the new remote...havent heard back yet but hopefully tomorrow. If one dosnt exist ive inquired about what I need to do to have a custom shield made for the whole remote. If someone else has not done so already id definitely be willing to update everyone on this endeavor...As my wife said early on, "this new and beautiful remote needs protection from everyday use!"

Regards,
Ricky
post #635 of 11305 Old 02-13-2008, 10:52 PM

when i press my favorite channels, it seems like the delay is too long when the remote is sending the signal to my dtv hr20s. What should I do?
post #636 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungintl View Post

when i press my favorite channels, it seems like the delay is too long when the remote is sending the signal to my dtv hr20s. What should I do?

Try changing the interkey delay settings. I set mine to zero, and channel changes on my cable box are now very quick.
post #637 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

Okay dear forum members, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and ask you all for some help. I need to enlist the aid of a site/database integrator to help put a backend database management tool on my site www.iconharmony.com

Randy, as a retired plumbing-heating-air conditioning guy (I retired at 46 )
and as someone who got his first computer about 8 years ago at the age of 50, and had to buy some of those "..........For Dummies" books to learn how to turn it on and off, I have no idea what "site/database integrator to help put a backend database management tool on my site" means.
Wish I could help as you've been amazing with your works on these.
I could post your request on the Harmony forum if that would help?

Jack
post #638 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, that's what I did for music choice. Just renamed it Listen to Radio and then picked up the local station logos for my favorites.
Wish I could change that satellite icon to the radio icon on the activity screen though.
,R

Yeah, it's really cool. I'll probably add a similar activity for the music stations too.
Another activity I'm going to try is for internet radio. I have a Yamaha receiver which is Net capable. Last year I bought a Logitech product called Play Link. It's a wireless gizmo for gamers. I'm not a gamer, but bought it for updating the firmware on a Toshiba HD-DVD player via internet. I never got around to trying it as Toshiba started posting the ISO file for downloading.
I just connected the Play Link to try out the internet radio feature on the receiver, and it works great. The Play Link consists of two transceivers. One plugs into my router, the other into the receiver, and that's it. When manufactured, they're "keyed" to each other only, so wireless security isn't a problem. Couldn't be easier to use. Unfortunately it's a discontinued item.
Anyway, I'm going to set up another Watch TV activity and rename it to, of all things, "Internet Radio" . I may still have to use the Yamaha's remote in addition to the Harmony, as there's a slide switch on the Yammie remote that has to be moved to a different position for Net radio; not sure if I can set up the harmony for that function.
post #639 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstand View Post

1) Because the cradle is not in a convenient location.

OK, I guess that's a matter of positioning...

Quote:

2) Because you should not have to put any rechargeable device in the charger until you need to.

True, but if it needs charging... I know that early rechargeables with dumb electronics, and whose batteries had a 'memory' problem, could suffer from continual charging, but is it true of SOTA modern devices?

Quote:

3) Because Logitech recommends not keeping the unit in the charger.

Ah - I hadn't heard that. The manual says: "... All you need to do is pick up the Harmony One, use it, and place it back on the charging station when you're done to ensure it stays charged." There's no warning about leaving it there, so that's how I've been using it. Do you have a link to the new recommendations?

Quote:

4) Because if that is what I have to do I wouldn't purchase the device.

OK.

Quote:

5) Because the backlight should shut off when it is supposed to.

Yup, can't argue with that ;-) I believe a fix is due in the March update.

Dave
post #640 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:

3) Because Logitech recommends not keeping the unit in the charger.

Just a quick follow up to this - I just spoke to a (European) Logitech tech support guy who said he & his colleagues had no knowledge of any potential problems with leaving the One on its cradle when not in use, and that he'd been doing this for weeks with his own One remote without any problems, so not to worry about it.

He also said (tongue in cheek) that judging from support calls, there were likely to be more problems with not putting it in the cradle when not in use I guess this is due to the current 'backlight staying on' bug

Dave
post #641 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantTV View Post

Hello, frequent listener, first time caller, and new member of the 'One' family.
Thank you squareeyes for the great icons.

Quick question, and I appologize if it's a repeat. I've looked/searched but still no joy...
Can you assign custom icons to the six activity and/or device buttons? It seems that the software automatically assigns an icon on SOME commands, but for instance, my DirecTV HR21 doesn't automatically assign icons for Blue, Yellow, Red, Green. Am I just missing how to do that? It's annoying to read the word, especially after seeing squareeyes great network icons at work.

Thank you.

According to Logitech, colored buttons for the DirecTV receivers are planned for the March update. (asked this specific question to Logitech in the Customer Support forums.)

Kirk
Cary, NC
post #642 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I would encourage anyone to please comtact Logitech regarding the ability to place custom icons anywhere, not just relying on what they think we need and preprogram.

I noticed last night that my remote backlight never went off after I powered on my ssytem. I had charged the remote that morning but after activating hte system last night, I looked down and hour or so later and saw the light was on and the batter was down to about 75% already.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #643 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkusinnc View Post

According to Logitech, colored buttons for the DirecTV receivers are planned for the March update. (asked this specific question to Logitech in the Customer Support forums.)

I appreciate the relaying of information to us! But I think it's pretty silly we have to wait on Logitech to decide what devices should or should NOT get colored icons. Just let the USER upload icons for ANY button!

I realize the H1 has limited memory, but I would think it could keep track of memory utilization and tell the desktop or web software when it was approaching capacity and not let you upload any more custom icons.
post #644 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post

Just a quick follow up to this - I just spoke to a (European) Logitech tech support guy who said he & his colleagues had no knowledge of any potential problems with leaving the One on its cradle when not in use, and that he'd been doing this for weeks with his own One remote without any problems, so not to worry about it.

He also said (tongue in cheek) that judging from support calls, there were likely to be more problems with not putting it in the cradle when not in use I guess this is due to the current 'backlight staying on' bug

Thanks for your responses. My only issue with this remote, which I think is great, has been with the backlight-on problem. Any battery discharge problems have been caused by the backlight remaining on.

Since applying the workaround that Joe posted the other evening the backlight problem has resolved itself, pending the permanent fix in late March.

As to leaving the unit in the cradle, I was told by A Logitech support tech last week, when I reported this issue not to leave the unit in the charger all the time. I don't know whether that is right or wrong. It doesn't matter to me because as a matter of preference, I do not leave the unit in the base. I have read in the past that if the charger for any device is a trickle charger, you can leave the device in the charger. If it is a rapid charger, you should not. Again, I don't profess to know what is right or wrong. I am sure someone will chime in.
post #645 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

I would encourage anyone to please comtact Logitech regarding the ability to place custom icons anywhere, not just relying on what they think we need and preprogram.

I noticed last night that my remote backlight never went off after I powered on my ssytem. I had charged the remote that morning but after activating hte system last night, I looked down and hour or so later and saw the light was on and the batter was down to about 75% already.

I found this problem with my One, too. It's spontaneously turning on the LCD and staying on for extended periods, draining the battery.

Twice I've found it with a drained battery in the morning, when the night before it was 90%+ charged.

I guess I should call Logitech and report it.
post #646 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post

I found this problem with my One, too. It's spontaneously turning on the LCD and staying on for extended periods, draining the battery.

Twice I've found it with a drained battery in the morning, when the night before it was 90%+ charged.

I guess I should call Logitech and report it.

Check a page or so back. Logitech is aware of this issue and has a temporary workaround and a permanent fix coming.

Post 597 by JoeG
post #647 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Hey Randy,

I wish I had the know how to help you since youve been more than gracious providing icons for everyone. I figure I would post this to bump your request and hope some responds to help keep your efforts going and to make sure you know your work has been much appreciated!

Eric

Quote:

Okay dear forum members, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and ask you all for some help. I need to enlist the aid of a site/database integrator to help put a backend database management tool on my site www.iconharmony.com.

I'm simply unable to spend the time manually scripting the HTML, updating icons, keeping my clients happy at work, and maintaining a semblance of a life at home.

If you would like to donate your time and/or experience to the icon cause, or if you know someone trying to earn their chops by taking on a project like this, please let me know via an email from my site and I'll let you know specifically what I have in mind.

In return I'll offer you a free identity (logo) design or overhaul if you'd like one and- more importantly- web presence on my site. Trust me... I have been swamped with traffic since going live and it has not let up. I've begun receiving requests from around the globe for regional icons and for icons ported to the 8XX and 1000 remotes. With every update I expect an additional spike in traffic.

Please let me know. I'd like to keep this going.

Thanks for your support.
,R

post #648 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Liked: 12
In case anyone else is spending hours trying to get their JVC RS1 to shut down with their Harmony One (or any other remote, I suppose.)

The RS1 has a "dead minute" after initial boot-up where it simply won't accept a shut down command. If you're trying to test your remote but turning on the projector and then immediately shutting it off, you're going to spend hours troubleshooting a non-existing problem. Just wait a minute or two. I assume this is a bulb protection strategy of some kind.

-Pete
post #649 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM

ditto here man, too bad I know nuttin bout webdesigns either but someone please give this guy a hand cause he has always been wiling to address any custom request by ANYONE!!
Maybe you could post this request directly on your website and have better luck?

Custom icons/graphics is definetely on my highly desired features.... but let's be face it... if they have not offered it thus far (all these years since 880) it is not likely to come easy or ever
I have to make the assumption that coding for any of the graphics for activities and any of the other button designs generic to the remote are hardcoded making a switch over to allow custom uploads a huge task... it will require a complete revamp of the firmware. Same goes for uploading custom icons in the customization part. If you have dealt with any software development you will realize that a complete overhaul is as likely to happen as MS admitting to Vista's fallout
Let's just hope that the current mechanism of getting hands on fancy icons through LGT database is getting more attention and oh yeah squareeyes getting a subcontracting job to create them

Batteries ... these are Li-Ion batteries and I would always prefer to charge them only when needed not because of memory effect but because of their volatile nature. Besides the less often you charge it the longer they will last .. any type of battery
post #650 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Randy,

I'm an experienced Java web application developer - everything from front end html - to back end database design and integration.

I'd be willing to help you out. I'll send an email to the one listed on your website as well.

Thanks,
Shaun
post #651 of 11305 Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthompson View Post

Hi Randy,

I'm an experienced Java web application developer - everything from front end html - to back end database design and integration.

I'd be willing to help you out. I'll send an email to the one listed on your website as well.

Thanks,
Shaun

Hey Shaun

Thanks a million for stepping up !!! Now we got two heros
post #652 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:

As to leaving the unit in the cradle, I was told by A Logitech support tech last week, when I reported this issue not to leave the unit in the charger all the time. I don't know whether that is right or wrong. It doesn't matter to me because as a matter of preference, I do not leave the unit in the base. I have read in the past that if the charger for any device is a trickle charger, you can leave the device in the charger. If it is a rapid charger, you should not. Again, I don't profess to know what is right or wrong. I am sure someone will chime in.

Yes, it looks like we need some definitive response from someone in Logitech who really knows - judging from the contradictory responses so far, the ordinary tech support people don't really know...

After all, it is quite an important question.

Dave
post #653 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthompson View Post

Hi Randy,

Thanks,
Shaun

Thanks very much for responding Shaun.
I sent you back an email last night and thought I'd follow up with a post as well.
I've been slammed this week and will send you a detailed email this weekend regarding the site.
Regards,
R

post #654 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post

Yes, it looks like we need some definitive response from someone in Logitech who really knows - judging from the contradictory responses so far, the ordinary tech support people don't really know...

After all, it is quite an important question.

I just pulled this from the Logitech Support, Harmony remote FAQ:

Q: Can I place my remote in the base station whenever it is not in use?
A: Yes, you can charge the remote whenever it is not in use. This will not decrease the life of the battery and will ensure your remote is always fully powered
post #655 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Can anyone please tell me what the default function of the two buttons beneath the 4-way navigation button and vol/channel buttons are?

One has a either a star or an arrow icon(hard to tell from the photo because of reflections) and the one on the right has some sort of return arrow thingie.

I just hope those aren't DVR skip forward/skip back buttons because they ar obviously in the reverse order, i.e. the skip forward should be on the right, and the skip back should be on the left.

Thanks in advance...

Dave

post #656 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Can anyone please tell me what the default function of the two buttons beneath the 4-way navigation button and vol/channel buttons are?

One has a either a star or an arrow icon(hard to tell from the photo because of reflections) and the one on the right has some sort of return arrow thingie.

I just hope those aren't DVR skip forward/skip back buttons because they ar obviously in the reverse order, i.e. the skip forward should be on the right, and the skip back should be on the left.

Thanks in advance...

Button on the left is the mute button, and the one on the right is a replay/return arrow. On my Comcast DVR, it acts as a "return to last channel" button. The skip back function (Comcast DVR has no skip forward function ) is assigned to the skip chapter button with the rest of the DVR controls (i.e. fast forward, rewind, play, pause).
post #657 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattor View Post

Button on the left is the mute button, and the one on the right is a replay/return arrow. On my Comcast DVR, it acts as a "return to last channel" button. The skip back function (Comcast DVR has no skip forward function ) is assigned to the skip chapter button with the rest of the DVR controls (i.e. fast forward, rewind, play, pause).

If you look on the Wiki page for the Comcast DVR remotes, you will find the codes for several functions that are not currently programmed on the remote. A 30-sec skip forward is one of them. The easiest thing to do is just take the Comcast remote, program the new function to a key (say the 'A' button) and then have the Harmony remote 'learn' the function. Repeat for all the new functions you want and then program the button back to the original function. I did this for about 5 or 6 commands and it works perfectly.

Mike
post #658 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

I have to make the assumption that coding for any of the graphics for activities and any of the other button designs generic to the remote are hardcoded making a switch over to allow custom uploads a huge task... it will require a complete revamp of the firmware. Same goes for uploading custom icons in the customization part. If you have dealt with any software development you will realize that a complete overhaul is as likely to happen as MS admitting to Vista's fallout
Let's just hope that the current mechanism of getting hands on fancy icons through LGT database is getting more attention and oh yeah squareeyes getting a subcontracting job to create them

As a software engineer, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Logitech already has the code setup to replace text buttons with pictures as they do it for some buttons already and the favorite buttons already use images. They already have an upload mechanism in place which could easily be added to the custom button pages as well. There is no REAL technical obstacle that they haven't already solved and couldn't be fixed with a relatively minor software update.

The reasons why they wouldn't do this are pretty obvious:
A) They don't want to cannibalize their own market for their high end touch screen remotes. You have to admit the benefits of the Harmony 1000 are completely customizable interfaces and replicate a decent subset of the features in the Harmony One are bound to influence sales. Also if they add everything you want in the Harmony One there's no reason for you to upgrade to the Harmony Kitchen Sink when it debuts in 3 years.
B) There might be very limited memory available in the remote for images and people will want to customize every soft button, but won't be able to and Logitech doesn't want to add any extra strain to their customer support line.

A is a far bigger reason than B in my opinion.
post #659 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well the Nyko Blu-Wave remote that I use for controlling my PS3 doesn't have the custom images for the Circle, Square, X, Triangle buttons. Does anyone anyone know what/if any devices might have the custom PlayStation button images? I'm more than happy manually learning every IR code on some device for the PS2 that I don't actually have, just so long as I can use the images for the soft buttons.
post #660 of 11305 Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Perfect! Gotta have one...Thanks for your reply.

I have a Dish 622 DVR, and I use the skip chapter buttons on my Harmony 680 for the skip forward/back functions.

Thanks again...

Dave

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page