Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #721 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I got the Nyko Blu-wave to use the USB dongle for my PS3 and setup a Nyko device per the earlier posts here.

The play, pause, etc. buttons work, but the device is still pretty useless because the select button doesn't seem to work. I knew I would still need to manually use the Power button and that's fine because that doesn't require me to keep the Blouetooth controller around activtate it every time. But without the select key I can't tell it to play the BD in the first place and when it gets to the menu I can't select Play the movie.

Short of trying to manually learn the button, is there something I should be doing to make the activate button work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

I'm still using the 880 but when I got the Nyko they didn't have the codes in the database. We had to learn ALL the buttons and the directional buttons performed as you described. That was until we relearned them as "Analysed" (not raw) and changed the delay to 0 ms. Hope this helps.

All the codes were originally learned "analyzed". I re-learned the direction keys "raw" and it seems to work much better. I still get the right direction arrow skipping 2 times when I only push the button once. All the others go one at a time. It isn't scrolling fast like I had it before.

I will keep working on it, but I think I'm going in the right direction. Thanks.

I may have to get tech support to copy over the direction arrow commands from my other activity to my new activity. I wish there was a way to do this on my own.

Jeff
post #723 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

I got the Nyko Blu-wave to use the USB dongle for my PS3 and setup a Nyko device per the earlier posts here.

The play, pause, etc. buttons work, but the device is still pretty useless because the select button doesn't seem to work. I knew I would still need to manually use the Power button and that's fine because that doesn't require me to keep the Blouetooth controller around activtate it every time. But without the select key I can't tell it to play the BD in the first place and when it gets to the menu I can't select Play the movie.

Short of trying to manually learn the button, is there something I should be doing to make the activate button work?

The Nyko remote has a "Select" and an "Enter". You want to map your "OK" button on your Harmony to the "Enter" key, not the "Select". I just did the same thing earlier!
post #724 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0Zak View Post

You've lost me - I don't see any "add action for" option. When I select "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity." and click Next the only option shown is to Add Devices Not In Use. I never see any "add action for" option.

What am I missing?

Sorry about that. I may have missed a step.
After you click "Yes, but i want to add more control..." and the next screen comes up "Please review the devices you want to use...", click "Save".
Then click "Next" (making sure the settings on those pages are correct) until you get to:
"Please review the setting for your watch dvd activity"
-> pulldown "add action for" select your dvd player -> select "when activity starts" add -> click on "send this infrared command" and pulldown to your eject tray signal.

let me know if that's still too confusing and i'll try to find a way to make it absolutely impossible to understand
,R

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #725 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM

So, having had the One a few days now, I have to say, I love it - well, want to love it:
I have found numerous mismappings of components, and play 'does not work' due to too short IR bursts with many components (HL-R Samsung, Pioneer VSX-94, Nyko Blue Wave Ir unlearnable).
All of which were fixed by the great level 2 Logitech service (making changes in their database the user software has no access to).

I have ONE remaining issues that is killing me, though: The IR seems to have a very narrow field of vision compared to original remotes OR the 880, which I also have.

I have a very hard time to control my Pioneer Elite VSX-94 unless I point the remote in a very narrow angle. 45 degrees? forget it. Up to the ceiling? No way. All things that work flawlessly with the 880 and factory remote.

I have tested that both IR sensor work and light up (using a digital camera). Not sure what's going on - but has anyone seen this behaviour? And why is it so focused on / pronounced with the VSX - but not the other components?

Thanks,
Dan
post #726 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosers View Post

So, having had the One a few days now, I have to say, I love it - well, want to love it:
I have found numerous mismappings of components, and play 'does not work' due to too short IR bursts with many components (HL-R Samsung, Pioneer VSX-94, Nyko Blue Wave Ir unlearnable).
All of which were fixed by the great level 2 Logitech service (making changes in their database the user software has no access to).

I have ONE remaining issues that is killing me, though: The IR seems to have a very narrow field of vision compared to original remotes OR the 880, which I also have.

I have a very hard time to control my Pioneer Elite VSX-94 unless I point the remote in a very narrow angle. 45 degrees? forget it. Up to the ceiling? No way. All things that work flawlessly with the 880 and factory remote.

I have tested that both IR sensor work and light up (using a digital camera). Not sure what's going on - but has anyone seen this behaviour? And why is it so focused on / pronounced with the VSX - but not the other components?

Thanks,
Dan

Why would you require the ability to control a device while pointing the remote at the ceiling? Anyway, no I haven't experienced this. In fact, I think my range of controllability is much improved over my 880. Perhaps, based on the fact that you had all of these other issues, you have a defective remote? I have had zero issues (aside from the same back light issue, which is no big deal) and can control my junk from just about anywhere. I suppose I can try pointing it at the ceiling for some reason to see what happens. Should I take it back if it doesn't work?

Justin
post #727 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0Zak View Post

My Sharp BD-HP20U turns on and ejects the tray when I press the Eject button on the original remote or the Eject button for the player on my Harmony One.

I have customized the Sharp player power settings on the H1 to use one button (Eject) to power on the player and another button to power it off.

But choosing the Watch DVD activity still only turns the player on but doesn't eject the tray.

Any ideas?

Ha: I had this same issue with my Tosh A3.
I wanted my A3 to eject in order to power on. cause it never could eject after powering on within the H1 Activites.

Bascially I was looking @ the wrong 'activity' - since it wasn't really an activity per se @ all until czzer helped out here:

Click Here - Device Settings!

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #728 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

I don't understand why this is a problem for some. On my 2 DISH Network STB's (ViP 622 & ViP 722), for the channel, "004-01", the user enters "00401". There is no "-" to be entered. The STB does it for you. I guess you could say the dash is inferred.

Thanks...I eliminated the hyphens and the remote learned it just fine. I am amazed at how much better this unit is than my old 680. I especially love how easy it is to see in the dark--once you find it and pick it up that is...

Here's an Icon I threw together in Photoshop for Dish Music Channel 969--"Acoustic Crossroads".

I still have a ton to learn about Photoshop, especially since the newer version has a lot of changes, but it was fun to play with.

Dave

post #729 of 11319 Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Don't know why my attachment won't show up...
LL

Dave

post #730 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 01:45 AM

Justin,
I am not pointing the remote at the ceiling - on purpose. My point is, I did not have to point the 880 in any particular direction (and it worked EVEN bouncing off the ceiling) while my one is a lot more narrow; and in fact can't control the VSX-94 unless pointing at it at a narrow angle.
Maybe may ONE is broken - but the previous issues had nothing to do with the remote. They were all DB errors that Logitech fixed - not on my remote but in their database. It is a fact that the One uses different timings for IR bursts (off of the same DB as the 880).

SO, I might exchange mine. I checked both sensors though, and they are emitting - so I am not sure what's going on and will call LT to see if this might be related to the composition of the IR signal after all - not the diodes.

IF your previous remotes all did work your stuff by pointing at the ceiling and the One doesn't - sure I'd return it if I was you ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

Why would you require the ability to control a device while pointing the remote at the ceiling? Anyway, no I haven't experienced this. In fact, I think my range of controllability is much improved over my 880. Perhaps, based on the fact that you had all of these other issues, you have a defective remote? I have had zero issues (aside from the same back light issue, which is no big deal) and can control my junk from just about anywhere. I suppose I can try pointing it at the ceiling for some reason to see what happens. Should I take it back if it doesn't work?

Justin

post #731 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstand View Post

I just pulled this from the Logitech Support, Harmony remote FAQ:

Q: Can I place my remote in the base station whenever it is not in use?
A: Yes, you can charge the remote whenever it is not in use. This will not decrease the life of the battery and will ensure your remote is always fully powered

Doh! Well spotted rstand. I browsed through the FAQ, but just didn't see it...

I'm just a bit surprised that the Logitech support people didn't think to look up the FAQ when asked the direct question :

Dave
post #732 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Why would you require the ability to control a device while pointing the remote at the ceiling?

It would be handy for me, as I've got a projector up on the ceiling above the couch, so I have to wave the remote up to trigger the projector, then rapidly back down to activate the other kit in front. Oddly enough, the projector will pick up the turn-off signal when the remote is pointed forward, but not the switch-on signal...

Dave
post #733 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

Sorry about that. I may have missed a step.
After you click "Yes, but i want to add more control..." and the next screen comes up "Please review the devices you want to use...", click "Save".
Then click "Next" (making sure the settings on those pages are correct) until you get to:
"Please review the setting for your watch dvd activity"
-> pulldown "add action for" select your dvd player -> select "when activity starts" add -> click on "send this infrared command" and pulldown to your eject tray signal.

let me know if that's still too confusing and i'll try to find a way to make it absolutely impossible to understand
,R

Thanks, Randy. The reason the tray wasn't ejected after I changed the power-on command for the player to "Eject" was because the Sharp Aquos Link function was turning on the player when the corresponding Input on the TV was selected by the "Watch DVD" activity. I disabled Aquos Link and now the H1 is able to power-up the player via the Eject command, causing the tray to open as desired. Great!

It wasn't necessary to add an action.

And thanks for those great favorites icons!
post #734 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Justin,
I am not pointing the remote at the ceiling - on purpose. My point is, I did not have to point the 880 in any particular direction (and it worked EVEN bouncing off the ceiling) while my one is a lot more narrow; and in fact can't control the VSX-94 unless pointing at it at a narrow angle.
Maybe may ONE is broken - but the previous issues had nothing to do with the remote. They were all DB errors that Logitech fixed - not on my remote but in their database. It is a fact that the One uses different timings for IR bursts (off of the same DB as the 880).

SO, I might exchange mine. I checked both sensors though, and they are emitting - so I am not sure what's going on and will call LT to see if this might be related to the composition of the IR signal after all - not the diodes.

IF your previous remotes all did work your stuff by pointing at the ceiling and the One doesn't - sure I'd return it if I was you ;-)

HA! Just what I like... a smart a$$ response to my smart a$$ response without hurt feelings. Just having fun. Anyway, seriously, the basis of my response is the fact that when I was folding laundry on my coffee table while watching a DVRed program, I was able to control the program from behind a huge pile of Egyptian cotton towels, without picking the remote up off the table. I am not sure if the type of cotton matters or not, but these are thick a$$ towels that were stacked at least 2 feet high. SO... not 10 minutes ago I tried some more exotic firing lines including the ceiling... and... wait for it... the wall exactly opposite of my junk. It successfully operated everything at those extreme angles. SO... like I said, I honestly think your remote could be damaged goods. Can't hurt to swap it once and see if you have better luck.

Justin
post #735 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post

It would be handy for me, as I've got a projector up on the ceiling above the couch, so I have to wave the remote up to trigger the projector, then rapidly back down to activate the other kit in front. Oddly enough, the projector will pick up the turn-off signal when the remote is pointed forward, but not the switch-on signal...

Touche!

Justin
post #736 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HA! Just what I like... a smart a$$ response to my smart a$$ response without hurt feelings. Just having fun. Anyway, seriously, the basis of my response is the fact that when I was folding laundry on my coffee table while watching a DVRed program, I was able to control the program from behind a huge pile of Egyptian cotton towels, without picking the remote up off the table. I am not sure if the type of cotton matters or not, but these are thick a$$ towels that were stacked at least 2 feet high. SO... not 10 minutes ago I tried some more exotic firing lines including the ceiling... and... wait for it... the wall exactly opposite of my junk. It successfully operated everything at those extreme angles. SO... like I said, I honestly think your remote could be damaged goods. Can't hurt to swap it once and see if you have better luck.

Justin

Justin,
That sounds like one magic IR signal! Are you sure there wasn't 2nd remote controller up on the grassy knoll?
,R

post #737 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 AM

I've enjoyed this site for some time. Great source for info. Now it's time for my first post.

I picked up the Harmony One from BB last week. So far, so good...I see the potential, and my wife does too. I've got 3 activities set up: 1. Directv, 2. Apple TV, and 3. HD locals (since I can't get HD locals via D* in Richmond).

When I switch from Directv to HD Locals or vice versa, the input doesn't change and I've got to use the Help feature to switch. The inputs are correct, but they don't change with the activity.

Any help is appreciated.
post #738 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Hokie View Post

I've enjoyed this site for some time. Great source for info. Now it's time for my first post.

I picked up the Harmony One from BB last week. So far, so good...I see the potential, and my wife does too. I've got 3 activities set up: 1. Directv, 2. Apple TV, and 3. HD locals (since I can't get HD locals via D* in Richmond).

When I switch from Directv to HD Locals or vice versa, the input doesn't change and I've got to use the Help feature to switch. The inputs are correct, but they don't change with the activity.

Any help is appreciated.

Without a detailed listing of all the equipment involved (is there a receiver or an HDMI switch? What type of TV? What are the connections - component/DVI/HDMI?) it's hard to say for sure.
But at a guess I'd suggest trying a longer Inter-Device delay for the TV - go to the devices tab, then select the TV whose inputs are supposed to change, and go into the speed (delay) settings. Try adding time to the inter-device and/or the other delays. What may be happening is that the remote is sending the command to change inputs faster than the TV is ready to receive it so the TV ignores it.
post #739 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks BBoT.

Using Vizio 47" LCD, Onkyo TX-NR901, Apple TV, and Directv HR21.

I haven't set up anything to go through the receiver yet. (That's the next step).

HD Locals Activity is via TV input on Vizio, Apple TV is HDMI2 and Directv DVR is HDMI1.
post #740 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 AM

I have the same problem, but mine only happens when I update the remote via software.
The imputs are correct in the Harmony software and the remotes seems to know the proper input when I ask for "help" but after an update it always goes to the wrong input.
(Panasonic HDTV, and Apple TV).
post #741 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...I have ONE remaining issues that is killing me, though: The IR seems to have a very narrow field of vision compared to original remotes OR the 880, which I also have.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, you are not alone. My H1 is the same way compared to the 880 I had. The 880 could be pointed just about anywhere and it would trigger everything. With the H1 I'm having to be very careful about where I point it. My Dish DVR is the only thing that still responds when the remote is off-axis.

Checked the IR emitters with a camera also.

I hate to do it, but I'm thinking about exchanging it just to see if the unit is defective.

Rob
post #742 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

Dan, you are not alone. My H1 is the same way compared to the 880 I had. The 880 could be pointed just about anywhere and it would trigger everything. With the H1 I'm having to be very careful about where I point it. My Dish DVR is the only thing that still responds when the remote is off-axis.

Checked the IR emitters with a camera also.

I hate to do it, but I'm thinking about exchanging it just to see if the unit is defective.

Rob

I've had the H1 for almost 3 weeks now and have experienced the exact same problem as compared to the 880. It has also been reported in this thread by multiple other owners. As a result, I don't think your H1 is defective. Unfortunately, I think the IR emitter in the H1 is just not as powerful as in the 880.
post #743 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Hokie View Post

Thanks BBoT.

Using Vizio 47" LCD, Onkyo TX-NR901, Apple TV, and Directv HR21.

I haven't set up anything to go through the receiver yet. (That's the next step).

HD Locals Activity is via TV input on Vizio, Apple TV is HDMI2 and Directv DVR is HDMI1.

Hmm... when you set up the activity or the TV there should have been a screen asking how you change inputs on your TV. For example some TV's need to press an input button repeatedly, some need to bring up a menu and then select, etc.
But the database may have discrete codes for each input.
You might be able to try setting up a new activity but choosing a different method of selecting the input to see if that works.
Check the list of available commands for the device, and see if you have commands for "TV", "HDMI 1", "HDMI 2", etc. If those work to go directly to the input you want, then set the activity or TV up with that configuration for changing inputs.
post #744 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 AM

just got this remote and its awesome!

squareeyes thanks for the icons. they are sweet! any chance you could please make a comcast on demand icon?
post #745 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post

just got this remote and its awesome!

squareeyes thanks for the icons. they are sweet! any chance you could please make a comcast on demand icon?

Comcast On Demand.
I'll add it to the next batch.
,R

post #746 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Sorry if this has already been posted but its up on the logitech forum. I have tested it for only a few minutes and the workaround does work:

Thanks for all your feedback. Based on the feedback we were able to diagnose the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately it will not be resolved until the web update scheduled for the end of March.

If you have the Remote Assistant disabled through the software, you will experience the backlight issue.

Workaround:
Login to your account.
Click on the "Remote Settings" tab.
Click on "Display Settings".
Set Remote Assistant option to "On" and click "Save".
Update Remote.
After the remote has been updated, you can disable the Remote Assistant by pressing the "Options" button on the LCD and choosing "Turn Remote Assistant Off".
Once again, thanks for your help and we do apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

OmarHarmony

post #747 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I notice using the icons (thanks squareeyes) with the SA 8300HD cable box there is a bit of delay tuning the channels because the box is waiting for a maximum of 4 digits. It changes immediately if I lead with zeroes like '0002' instead of '2'. Before I go adding leading zeroes to all my channels has anyone tried this?
post #748 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I notice using the icons (thanks squareeyes) with the SA 8300HD cable box there is a bit of delay tuning the channels because the box is waiting for a maximum of 4 digits. It changes immediately if I lead with zeroes like '0002' instead of '2'. Before I go adding leading zeroes to all my channels has anyone tried this?

Hey! Don't be blaming my icons for that...
I get your drift. I had the same issue with my 8300. There is a place in the software to change the number of digits for the DVR so that it would send the channel# + enter. It is very fast once you have it set up right. I'd guess it's in the device area for the 8300 but I'll look at the software tonight to see for sure.
,R

post #749 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Hey, those icons are awesome! I could not find that option but tried a few with leading zeroes and it is switching channels faster. I would still like to find that option though.
post #750 of 11319 Old 02-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

Hey! Don't be blaming my icons for that...
I get your drift. I had the same issue with my 8300. There is a place in the software to change the number of digits for the DVR so that it would send the channel# + enter. It is very fast once you have it set up right. I'd guess it's in the device area for the 8300 but I'll look at the software tonight to see for sure.
,R

WOW! Talk about serendipity!

I had set my Inter-Key Delay to Zero. I had told the remote that channel changes require an "Enter" at the end of the numerical sequence.

I was not happy with the speed of channel changes in favorites. It never occurred to me to add a leading zero to my 3-digit channel identifiers (e.g., 356 is now 0356).

Thanks to your discussion on leading zeros, I have now done this for all my favorites on my HR20. It has really greased the works.

I am a happy camper.

Thank you,

Burt

The Consultant's Creed:
I can do it right.
I can do it cheap.
I can do it fast.
You get to choose any two.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List