17Likes

post #9991 of 11426 Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post

It's the ARC. I have a Yamaha A2000 and a Samsung A750. Samsung and Yamaha do NOT play nice together with ARC. The Samsung is setting the Yamaha to AV4. It is the default input for a TV (factory set at Yamaha). There is no reason for the ARC if you are using a One.

Thanks! I thought about this and moved the HDMI connection from the Yamaha to the none ARC HDMI connection on the Samsung. This should have removed ARC from the issue. It didn't, the Yamaha still switches itself to the AV4.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 11426 Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bro View Post

Thanks! I thought about this and moved the HDMI connection from the Yamaha to the none ARC HDMI connection on the Samsung. This should have removed ARC from the issue. It didn't, the Yamaha still switches itself to the AV4.

Make sure CEC is turned off on all devices.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #9993 of 11426 Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy1 View Post

Hello guys,

I have a question, is there any possibility to get the Harmony One go back to the Activities Screen (The main screen) when you put it on the Charging dock?

I usually set a sleep timer on the TV, so, when I wake up, the Harmony One is out of sync with the TV, and still thinks the TV is On. I have to trick the Harmony pointing the device in a place out of range, and press the Off button on it, that way it gets in sync again.

Regards

I do not see that ever being a feature of this family of remotes. The whole premise of being "activity based" seems to work against your request.

You could open a request with Logitech to see what they say.....
post #9994 of 11426 Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Make sure CEC is turned off on all devices.

Thanks again. I turned off the CEC on the Samsung and lost the audio signal completely from the Yamaha. Could only get it working by turning the CEC back on. I'm sure the CEC is causing most of the problem, I'll troubleshoot more tomorrow.

Groucho Marx
post #9995 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bro View Post

Thanks again. I turned off the CEC on the Samsung and lost the audio signal completely from the Yamaha. Could only get it working by turning the CEC back on. I'm sure the CEC is causing most of the problem, I'll troubleshoot more tomorrow.

It's almost guaranteed that the CEC is the cause of the "ghost in the machine" switching and power behaviors.

As far as the "no audio" issue... one of two things is likely happening: Either the Samsung does not output audio on the ARC if CEC is not turned on (I have a new Samsung TV w/ ARC but cannot test because my AVR does not accept ARC)... or the the CEC was triggering the correct audio input assignments that you have not duplicated in a manual configuration of the receiver.

post #9996 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

It's almost guaranteed that the CEC is the cause of the "ghost in the machine" switching and power behaviors.

As far as the "no audio" issue... one of two things is likely happening: Either the Samsung does not output audio on the ARC if CEC is not turned on (I have a new Samsung TV w/ ARC but cannot test because my AVR does not accept ARC)... or the the CEC was triggering the correct audio input assignments that you have not duplicated in a manual configuration of the receiver.

When I have time today, I will test various connections and settings to work the CEC bug out.

I'm also discovering as I use the Harmony One there are other little bugs I need to correct. I will say most of the ones I fixed yesterday are easily fixed with the software.

Groucho Marx
post #9997 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM

I turned off CEC on the Samsung 7000 and HDMI Control on the Yamaha AVR and it resolved all my issues. Thanks again.

Groucho Marx
post #9998 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah, it appears that CEC has to be on to use ARC, which sucks if CEC is giving you power-switching fits.
post #9999 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Some devices have settings to limit what CEC does. My TV and disc player have the option to not power on/off other devices or send input commands. However, I find it most useful to leave all of that on. It makes my activity macros much simpler and faster. You just have to put a little more thought into what commands need to be included. Before CEC, my Watch Blu-ray activity had to power on the tv, player, avr, and select the correct tv and avr inputs. Now all it has to do is power on the player, and CEC does the rest automatically. Such simple activity macros can be hard to program on harmony, but it can be done with a few tricks.
post #10000 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 12
This remote, actually all the Harmony remotes have such a delay when turning the devices on. Turning things off is a second, but on, it takes over 30 seconds. What is the deal with that? I only have two or three things turning on at the same time. So much of a delay. Does anyone know how to make it faster? or is it even possible? Thanks.
post #10001 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

This remote, actually all the Harmony remotes have such a delay when turning the devices on. Turning things off is a second, but on, it takes over 30 seconds. What is the deal with that? I only have two or three things turning on at the same time. So much of a delay. Does anyone know how to make it faster? or is it even possible? Thanks.

You can adjust the delays and repeats and such in the remote setup, can't you? I am not in front of a computer with the software, but there is a way to do that. And it's not in an activity.
post #10002 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Delays are totally up to you. For each device, go to More Options, Adjust Delays. The changes are then applied to all related activities. However, I've found that the default delays are usually correct. So if you reduce them too much, your input commands may start failing. But I agree that 30 seconds sounds excessive, unless you have a projector. If you think it's incorrect, do your own tests and see how long it really takes your devices to respond to commands after a cold start, and enter those delays in the software, plus maybe an extra half second for good measure.
post #10003 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As mdavej pointed out, you have control of those delays... however, the controlling factor as to what those delays need to be are your devices, not the remote. The remote has to sit there just waiting for your worst case device to complete its internal power-on sequence and is ready to accept any additional commands before it can finish sending any additional commands to it. Digital display devices usually require the longest delay before they are ready to accept additional commands... 11-15 seconds is typical for most TV's... projectors can be much longer.

post #10004 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Thank you everyone. This will work. I will play with the settings a little. Cold boot is longer than a warm boot that is for sure. I will see what I can do. Thanks.
post #10005 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

HDMI devices need to turn on in a particular order in the chain, thus the delay.
post #10006 of 11426 Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Liked: 11
How do you stop an Activity from choosing a source for a device? I just want it to turn on my TV and not try to select a source. Same goes for my Popcorn Hour.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #10007 of 11426 Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 AM

This remote is frustrating the hell out of me, after almost 2 full days of trying to set this up I am thinking about returning it.

Problems I am having:
  • About 50% of the time I press an activity it won't even respond (all devices stay off)
  • It's not "learning." If I go through the help assistant and solve a problem, isn't it supposed to record that? I repeatedly have to fix the same problem.
  • No matter what I do, I can't seem to have an activty that gets to "Services" on my WD TV Live. I've entered all inputs/channels and it always goes to the wrong one.
Anyone have any ideas?
post #10008 of 11426 Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
FYI, Best Buy has the Harmony One as it's Deal of the Day, $139.99 w/ free shipping:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech...1411&cp=1&lp=1

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #10009 of 11426 Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmvp View Post

This remote is frustrating the hell out of me, after almost 2 full days of trying to set this up I am thinking about returning it.

Problems I am having:
  • About 50% of the time I press an activity it won't even respond (all devices stay off)
  • It's not "learning." If I go through the help assistant and solve a problem, isn't it supposed to record that? I repeatedly have to fix the same problem.
  • No matter what I do, I can't seem to have an activty that gets to "Services" on my WD TV Live. I've entered all inputs/channels and it always goes to the wrong one.
Anyone have any ideas?

Harmony does learn some things, but not necessarily the things you want it to. If you run an activity twice in a row, it won't do anything because it remembers it already ran. The only way to repeat is to use help or press the power button. If the activity doesn't work the first time, then you have bad aim, the wrong delays, or interference of some kind.

It doesn't remember anything from a help session. Help only re-sends a few commands and doesn't affect the programming of the activity macro at all. It's up to you to determine any fundamental problems and fix them (delays, wrong commands, etc.).

Getting the correct delays should fix your Services activity. Do all the steps manually and note the time required between steps. Then in your TV and WD devices make sure the power on and inter-key/inter-device delays match what works manually.

I don't know if the WD responds to HDMI CEC, but it's a possibility that could be overriding some of your steps.

If you're used to a remote where you write all the macros yourself, then harmony can be frustrating because of the way it automatically builds them. Sometimes you have to program around the automatic steps by adding a few of your own.
post #10010 of 11426 Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

HDMI devices need to turn on in a particular order in the chain, thus the delay.

Thanks. It worked well.
post #10011 of 11426 Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking to get one of these. Amazon currently has it for $140, is that a good price?
post #10012 of 11426 Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #10013 of 11426 Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post

I'm looking to get one of these. Amazon currently has it for $140, is that a good price?

Yes, for new it is very good. I just picked up a refurbished one from Logitech for $99. Don't know if the deal is still there though. Looked brand new.
post #10014 of 11426 Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Hd View Post

The remote is different. I bought a 2012 model and directly compared it to my 2009 model. The screen resolution on the 2009 model is significantly more sharp and clear than the 2012 model. The new model screen appears to be 'fuzzy'.
Maybe I got a bad one?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. My original One (2008 purchase) had a gorgeous display... very clean with rich colors. It also would last 10-14 days between charges. My second One and my son's One (both purchased in 2011) have displays that kinda/sorta look OK... until you compare it to the older model. The newer model displays are much brighter but appear to be lower resolution (they almost look like an interlaced display with definite horizontal pattern/structure to the screen), slightly grainy/fuzzy with an exaggerated contrast. They also last only 3-4 days per charge (in my case, with the exact same programming and user habits).

The older and newer versions may carry the same model codes, but there certainly have been some revisions along the way that were not necessarily improvements.

post #10015 of 11426 Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. My original One (2008 purchase) had a gorgeous display... very clean with rich colors. It also would last 10-14 days between charges. My second One and my son's One (both purchased in 2011) have displays that kinda/sorta look OK... until you compare it to the older model. The newer model displays are much brighter but appear to be lower resolution (they almost look like an interlaced display with definite horizontal pattern/structure to the screen), slightly grainy/fuzzy with an exaggerated contrast. They also last only 3-4 days per charge (in my case, with the exact same programming and user habits).

The older and newer versions may carry the same model codes, but there certainly have been some revisions along the way that were not necessarily improvements.

I have exactly the same experience - Harmony One 2009 model has much nicer display than 2012 model...and I also had a feeling that it has some sort of "interlaced" display showing some horizontal pattern...whenever I look at it, I "see" horizontal lines for couple of hundreds of milliseconds especially on nice custom buttons...then my eyes adjust. Very weird, I don't get that with older Harmony One.
post #10016 of 11426 Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Hi all:

Just bought a Sony BDP 580 blu ray player on the cheap for SACD playback. I also already own a 400 disc Sony blu ray changer CDX-960.

It's nice because the changer "device" will pretty much perfectly control the new player.

It's also terrible because the changer device will also perfectly control the changer, simultaneously with the 580, lol.

I haven't yet created a specific device or activity for the 580, so perhaps this problem will take care of itself, but if indeed the two DO end up sharing IR commands, is there a work around? This is not going to work.

Sorry, I've never encountered this before. I'll keep searching the thread too.

EDIT: I've read that I may have "re-assign addresses" with both devices somehow. Sound right? Geeze I hope this doesn't mean one has to "re-learn" IR commands from the newly addressed remote. GULP.

thanks,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #10017 of 11426 Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Hi all:
Just bought a Sony BDP 580 blu ray player on the cheap for SACD playback. I also already own a 400 disc Sony blu ray changer CDX-960.
It's nice because the changer "device" will pretty much perfectly control the new player.
It's also terrible because the changer device will also perfectly control the changer, simultaneously with the 580, lol.
I haven't yet created a specific device or activity for the 580, so perhaps this problem will take care of itself, but if indeed the two DO end up sharing IR commands, is there a work around? This is not going to work.
EDIT: I've read that I may have "re-assign addresses" with both devices somehow. Sound right? Geeze I hope this doesn't mean one has to "re-learn" IR commands from the newly addressed remote. GULP.
thanks,
James

If one or both of your players allows for assignment of a second or third IR code set, go ahead and change one of them to the alternate code set (if both offer the option, it is usually best to change the one with the simpler set of commands). Remember you must change both the player and its OE remote to the new code set.

If that player is not already added as a device in your Harmony setup, go ahead and add it as usual. After the device has been added, use the "Confirm IR" function to read a few commands from the OE remote control. Once Harmony realizes it has the wrong code set, it will typically offer you an alternate command set. My experience has been that the alternate code sets rarely are as complete as the standard code sets, and you likely will need to learn a few commands here and there... but it's better than learning all of the commands.

post #10018 of 11426 Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi all:
thanks,
James
You shouldn't have to do anything. Your changer appears to use the secondary address by default and can be changed if necessary. Your 580 address cannot be changed. If you do find it necessary to change addresses, confirming a few commands is usually sufficient. Failing that, you would have to learn all the commands. You just select all the ones you want to learn and do them all in a row. It goes pretty quickly.
post #10019 of 11426 Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 185
thanks guys. mdavej: what do you mean by "your changer appears to us the secondary address by default". How can you tell? Hitting "play" on the Harmony will cause both to play instantly.

perhaps I missed something.

thanks,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #10020 of 11426 Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks guys. mdavej: what do you mean by "your changer appears to us the secondary address by default". How can you tell? Hitting "play" on the Harmony will cause both to play instantly.
perhaps I missed something.
thanks,
James
I just looked in the manual of your CDX-960, and found instructions for assigning any of 3 possible code sets, with the 2nd one being the default. If that default code is the same as your 580, then you will have to pick another and confirm or learn.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page