Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 379 - AVS Forum
First ... 377  378  379 380  381  ... Last
Remote Control Area > Official Logitech Harmony One thread
Tom Thomas's Avatar Tom Thomas 08:24 AM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
FYI... I know they've been mentioned here before, but Harmony Remote Repair can fix many of the routine problems. At the prices refurbs have hit, their services are getting more attractive. I haven't used them myself, so I can't vouch for them in any way.
I've used Quin's service at Harmony Remote Repair and found him to be very helpful and thorough with the repair he did for me.

I have an older Harmony One and the white touch areas below the screen started to blink, fade out, go out intermittently. These are the touch areas labeled Options and Devices. They lit up fine when they were amber just not when they were supposed to be white. The areas still worked when touched, just not lighting up properly.

He diagnosed and repaired the problem very quickly. He also took care of another minor problem he noticed while working on it and fixed that too. I can recommend his service.

mrcarnut's Avatar mrcarnut 08:38 AM 08-20-2014
Do you have a link to a web site for him? Thanks.
jcalabria's Avatar jcalabria 09:00 AM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post
Do you have a link to a web site for him? Thanks.
It's already in my post above (original and quotes).
Chazcdc54's Avatar Chazcdc54 07:12 PM 09-08-2014
I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo TX-NR828) and set it up a week ago. I'm trying to program my H One but have a problem. The remote mode button "Receiver" has no command that I can see in the command set downloaded with this model. From what I see the button is important to switch functionality to the receiver away from other source components. I tried to learn the command remote to remote but no signal/command was seen - no luck.

Does anyone with an Onkyo receiver have a solution to this problem? Perhaps, using the InputNET command might work as it has no direct association with a physical HDMI input on the back panel? Maybe, the "Home" button command includes somehow switching to the receiver, but such is not the case when using the original remote as you need to first hit the "receiver" remote mode button before hitting any other receiver related commands.

I'm at a loss here as this is the only button that one needs programmed that does not have a related command.

Any advice is appreciated. I admit the 828 remote is nicely designed and an improvement over the one I had for the TX-SR805 this unit replaces, however, it pales as a universal remote. The One remains king in this area!
Topher's Avatar Topher 01:42 PM 09-10-2014
I don't have an Onkyo, but on my Pioneer, the 'Receiver' button on the remote is so the remote controls the receiver, not other equipment. Say I press the TV button on the Pioneer's remote to change the channel. To get the remote to control the Pioneer, I'd push the 'Receiver' button.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 11:11 PM 09-10-2014
Onkyo works the same. "Receiver" switches the original remote's operating mode. It doesn't perform any function on the receiver itself. It isn't learnable and would serve no purpose on another remote. All the functions on Harmony operate the Onkyo without needing to press any other buttons first.
tightrope's Avatar tightrope 10:09 AM 09-30-2014
I purchased a refurbished Harmony One as a backup for my 5 year old original One. It seems to work fine, and I'm thinking of getting another for peace of mind, knowing that they might be harder to find in the future.

My question is, what's the best way to guarantee its longevity? Should I take out the battery? Or leave it in and occasionally charge the remote? I'm not planning on using it until my original One reaches the end of its life. Thanks in advance
Tom Thomas's Avatar Tom Thomas 10:40 AM 09-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post
I purchased a refurbished Harmony One as a backup for my 5 year old original One. It seems to work fine, and I'm thinking of getting another for peace of mind, knowing that they might be harder to find in the future.

My question is, what's the best way to guarantee its longevity? Should I take out the battery? Or leave it in and occasionally charge the remote? I'm not planning on using it until my original One reaches the end of its life. Thanks in advance
I've done the same as you and picked up a couple spares. I rotate them all. I use one while another is on the charger and the third is "on-deck". I then rotate them to use the one from the charger, put the "on-deck" one on the charger and let the one I was using become "on-deck". I hope this makes sense...
Michael Sargent's Avatar Michael Sargent 01:58 PM 09-30-2014
The best thing you can do for longevity is to put the H1 on the charger only long enough to fully charge it and then remove it. It's fine to leave it sitting with a full charge (it will gradually discharge), but it's very bad to leave it fully discharged or on the charger when it's fully charged.

Mike
120inna55's Avatar 120inna55 03:38 PM 09-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
The best thing you can do for longevity is to put the H1 on the charger only long enough to fully charge it and then remove it. It's fine to leave it sitting with a full charge (it will gradually discharge), but it's very bad to leave it fully discharged or on the charger when it's fully charged.

Mike
(BAG O'WORMS WARNING] I agree with this statement based on the fact that I'm still using a 6 1/2 year-old daily use H1 with the OEM blue stripe battery and only have to charge it every 2 weeks. It shows no signs of swelling. I even periodically remove the battery to check for swelling. I attribute this good fortune to never having left it on the charger despite Logitech's claims that it is okay to do so.

There will be folks who will vehemently disagree with this statement.

My spare remains on a shelf with battery loaded. I check it ever so often, and when it becomes near depletion, I charge it up and put it back on the shelf. I have it sync'd just like my daily use H1, so if it ever dies, the spare will be ready to go.
tightrope's Avatar tightrope 06:05 PM 09-30-2014
Quote:

Mike
OK thanks for the tip, I will follow your advice.
tightrope's Avatar tightrope 06:11 PM 09-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post
(BAG O'WORMS WARNING] I agree with this statement based on the fact that I'm still using a 6 1/2 year-old daily use H1 with the OEM blue stripe battery and only have to charge it every 2 weeks. It shows no signs of swelling. I even periodically remove the battery to check for swelling. I attribute this good fortune to never having left it on the charger despite Logitech's claims that it is okay to do so.

My spare remains on a shelf with battery loaded. I check it ever so often, and when it becomes near depletion, I charge it up and put it back on the shelf. I have it sync'd just like my daily use H1, so if it ever dies, the spare will be ready to go.
Wow, impressive charge! I (foolishly) followed Logitech's advice to leave my 5 year-old One on the dock and it only holds its charge for a couple of days now. I'll be more careful with my spare remote. I'm curious, would there be an adverse effect to let the charge deplete completely and only recharge it when I want to use it?
120inna55's Avatar 120inna55 06:21 PM 09-30-2014
Quote:
Wow, impressive charge! I (foolishly) followed Logitech's advice to leave my 5 year-old One on the dock and it only holds its charge for a couple of days now. I'll be more careful with my spare remote. I'm curious, would there be an adverse effect to let the charge deplete completely and only recharge it when I want to use it?
Please don't take my comments as if I have some technical knowledge about the batteries in question. I am simply giving you my honest experience.

As far as letting it completely deplete and leaving it dead for prolonged periods of time? I would imagine that's probably about as good as leaving the battery out of the remote. In my experience with other rechargeable devices, allowing them die and stay dead for prolonged periods dramatically shortens their life and capacity. I would do what I said I'm doing. My backup remote sits on a shelf in a cool environment. I allow the battery to get very low. So far, I've not let it completely die. It's on a shelf in my media closet, so I see it about twice per week. I just wake it up and have a look at the battery symbol. If it's orange, I charge it over night, and then put it back on the shelf. Since the backup never sees any action, I rarely have to charge it. I haven't paid that much attention to the frequency, but I would imagine it's no more frequent than every 6 to 8 weeks.
Michael Sargent's Avatar Michael Sargent 08:17 AM 10-01-2014
The technical reason for never letting batteries sit in a discharged state is (roughly) as follows:

Rechargeable batteries tend to grow "tendrils" between the two plates. These tendrils effectively short circuit the battery. If the battery is fully charged, then any tendril that grows will be immediately destroyed as soon as current passes through it. Think of a fuse. But if the battery is dead, then the tendril is not destroyed, and will continue to grow over time, to the point where it can no longer be destroyed and the battery is ruined. (Technically, it can't be destroyed by the current available from the charger, but might be able to be destroyed by a much larger current, but that can also explode the battery.)

Mike
tightrope's Avatar tightrope 03:19 PM 10-01-2014
Quote:
The technical reason for never letting batteries sit in a discharged state is (roughly) as follows:

Rechargeable batteries tend to grow "tendrils" between the two plates. These tendrils effectively short circuit the battery. If the battery is fully charged, then any tendril that grows will be immediately destroyed as soon as current passes through it. Think of a fuse. But if the battery is dead, then the tendril is not destroyed, and will continue to grow over time, to the point where it can no longer be destroyed and the battery is ruined. (Technically, it can't be destroyed by the current available from the charger, but might be able to be destroyed by a much larger current, but that can also explode the battery.)

Mike
Thanks for the explanation, this makes perfect sense.
I was going to order a few extra batteries as future replacements, but now I understand that if I keep them stored an unused, they will eventually get corrupted, is this correct? Hopefully, if and when my batteries need to be replaced, that specific model will still be available.
tightrope's Avatar tightrope 04:18 PM 10-01-2014
OK, one more question.

While testing my new One, I noticed that in certain activities, not all devices get powered up when the activity is selected, requiring a "Help" press to turn everything on. I seem to remember that there is a setting to "amplify" the command to avoid such problems, but for the life of me I can't seem to remember where it is

Also, the "Off" button only seems to work if I keep it pressed for a few seconds, could this be part of the same issue? Sorry for the newbie question and thanks in advance for any help
mylan's Avatar mylan 07:09 PM 10-01-2014
Tightrope, more than likely you are not keeping the One pointed at your devices long enough for all the commands to be issued to the various devices. When you turn it on it takes longer, it doesn't matter if you hold it straight up it will still send commands. Try holding it pointed just a second longer and see if that works.
When shutting everything down it doesn't take a long button push nor does it take as long to issue "on" commands but still hold the remote pointed a second longer and see if that works. My wife will sometimes pick the remote up, push the button, and immediately drop it on the couch and gets that sometimes.
Michael Sargent's Avatar Michael Sargent 07:33 AM 10-02-2014
Quote:
I was going to order a few extra batteries as future replacements, but now I understand that if I keep them stored an unused, they will eventually get corrupted, is this correct?

Just charge the spares every couple of months and you should be OK.

Mike
bernie33's Avatar bernie33 09:09 AM 10-06-2014
Quote:

My H1 died recently. Suddenly completely dead. Batery couldn't be removed because of sweling. Based on other's experience here i contacted Logitech. They were great. They asked for some info and replaced it with an Ultimate One.

Based on all the comments here I thought we would hate it. We do like the One better, but the Ultimate isn't bad. Setup was very easy and transfered very well from the H1. Little bit of a learning curve and we've discovered multiple ways to do some things - like forward and back.
Sgooter's Avatar Sgooter 09:08 AM 10-07-2014
My 7-yr old H1 is working fine, but I think it's about time to replace the battery. I need some guidance (or link) regarding the correct replacement battery.
The correct/best replacement battery is:
The source for this replacement battery is:
The approx price for this battery is:
Is there a recommended charger for an add'l spare battery?
What similar batteries should I steer clear of:
Thanks
MordredKLB's Avatar MordredKLB 11:12 AM 10-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
My wife will sometimes pick the remote up, push the button, and immediately drop it on the couch and gets that sometimes.
My wife does this every time and then complains that the remote doesn't work.
mylan's Avatar mylan 11:24 AM 10-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
My wife does this every time and then complains that the remote doesn't work.
Which is why I control the remote
Sgooter's Avatar Sgooter 02:44 AM 10-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
My 7-yr old H1 is working fine, but I think it's about time to replace the battery. I need some guidance (or link) regarding the correct replacement battery.
The correct/best replacement battery is:
The source for this replacement battery is:
The approx price for this battery is:
Is there a recommended charger for an add'l spare battery?
What similar batteries should I steer clear of:
Thanks
OK guys - bypass all the above details.
How about just a simple recommendation for a replacement battery?
I can research the other details on its price, source, etc.
120inna55's Avatar 120inna55 05:23 AM 10-18-2014
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TX2N14/...I2MQN9TED2JOV2
joe221's Avatar joe221 08:32 AM 10-18-2014
Quote:
The link above is good, but sadly I bought that in 9/13 and they were $11 each.

Now horse before cart. Can you safely remove the battery from the One? As in, it's not swollen? If it won't come out email Logitech right away, don't pry it out.
Sgooter's Avatar Sgooter 10:24 AM 10-18-2014
Thanks guys - much appreciated.
I don't know yet if the OEM battery will come out or if it's swollen; will check on this soon. Just thought that after 7 yrs I should probably get a new battery for it. I have noticed that my H1 needs recharging sooner than it used to.

UPDATE: The OEM battery is very swollen in both of my H1s and they're not budging, so I have emailed Logitech support for a solution...keeping my fingers crossed.
pappaduke's Avatar pappaduke 12:29 AM 10-19-2014
Quote:
Thanks guys - much appreciated.
I don't know yet if the OEM battery will come out or if it's swollen; will check on this soon. Just thought that after 7 yrs I should probably get a new battery for it. I have noticed that my H1 needs recharging sooner than it used to.

UPDATE: The OEM battery is very swollen in both of my H1s and they're not budging, so I have emailed Logitech support for a solution...keeping my fingers crossed.
The solution should be that they offer you a new remote. Won't be a one though
Sgooter's Avatar Sgooter 08:53 AM 10-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
The solution should be that they offer you a new remote. Won't be a one though
Which Harmony model do they typically offer as a replacement for the H1?
Feirstein's Avatar Feirstein 09:00 AM 10-19-2014
I just replaced my One with a Touch. I'll report back if it is an adequate substitute.
rehaz1's Avatar rehaz1 10:13 AM 10-19-2014
Quote:
That link is not for an OEM battery, the OEM battery does not have a label the printing is directly on the case of the battery
Tags: Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote
First ... 377  378  379 380  381  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop