Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 387 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
post #11581 of 11595 Old 04-10-2015, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Harmony 700, if you can live with 8 devices instead of 15. Otherwise, layout is the same. Plus you gain 25 step macros versus 5 on the One.
Oh yes definitely. I can't imagine anyone who uses 15 devices. I remember in the past where I had LD then HD-DVD plus Bluray etc. but today I find myself in the digital world with only a receiver, cable box, oppo, plasma and projector. Have you had any issues with your 700? Does it have the rubber in the back that melts off over time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 11595 Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
I've had multiple Harmony Ones for years. Living in Hawaii has made the rubberized backing disappear on two of mine. That's my only complaint aside from the fact that my center/enter button no longer works. It's time for a new one but I'm frustrated that all the new Harmony versions have the most used buttons up top instead of right where your thumb would be naturally oriented lower on the remote. For those of you who've had to replace yours what did you find to be the best alternative? As someone who uses a DVR for 90% of viewing I really miss the correct button placement.
I'm gradually crossing over from the H1 to the U1 due to the swollen battery problem. Starting to get more accustomed to the U1, such that I can live with it. That said, I much prefer the buttons/controls layout of the H1 over the U1; can't figure out why Logitech changed the layout so drastically. Change is sometimes just for change versus change for the better.
Dr. Jekyll likes this.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #11583 of 11595 Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
I'm gradually crossing over from the H1 to the U1 due to the swollen battery problem. Starting to get more accustomed to the U1, such that I can live with it. That said, I much prefer the buttons/controls layout of the H1 over the U1; can't figure out why Logitech changed the layout so drastically. Change is sometimes just for change versus change for the better.
RIGHT?!? I can't believe they moved the layout of the H1, 650, 700 to the new "up top" placement where you'd need to use 2 hands or constantly adjusting you hand to fast forward. I would think they'd get feedback from the HT community to design new devices. Heck I'd upgrade to an ultimate if they'd just move the buttons. As it stands now I just use the H1 to fire up my system and use the cable remote to control the DVR and volume.
post #11584 of 11595 Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Have you had any issues with your 700? Does it have the rubber in the back that melts off over time?
No issues, but mine has probably only seen about 1 hour of use in its entire lifetime. I'm a JP1 user and only use it to occasionally mine the Harmony database. It's identical to the 650 that you already have, only adding recharging capability, making it a closer match to a One.
Dr. Jekyll likes this.
post #11585 of 11595 Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Harmony 700, if you can live with 8 devices instead of 15. Otherwise, layout is the same. Plus you gain 25 step macros versus 5 on the One.
I currently have three Ones, three 650s and two 700s... I would agree with mdavej, with a few of caveats:
  • I actually prefer the 650 to the 700. With no charging dock, I end up swapping externally charged batteries in the 700s the same way I do for the 650s. The extra $$$ for the 700 is a waste as far as I'm concerned.
  • The biggest issue I have with the 650/700 in comparison to the One is that they only have four buttons per screen compared to six for the One. In some activities this has been a bit of a pain. If you use favorite channels, you actually only get three custom buttons on the first page of the 650/700 custom button screens, because one of them is used to switch to favorites. Similarly, you only get three channels on the first screen of favorites.
  • If you have more than a 2-3 activities on a 650/700, the inability to easily control the order of activities is a real PITA.
Other than those caveats, a 650/700 is a very good and reasonably priced alternative. You even gain the four color buttons that the One regrettably doesn't have. FYI, Meritline regularly has Logitech-refurbished 650s on sale for $39, and 700s for $49. When they have had refurbed Ones recently, they've been ridiculously priced around $249.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6
post #11586 of 11595 Old 04-11-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I've had multiple Harmony Ones for years. Living in Hawaii has made the rubberized backing disappear on two of mine. That's my only complaint aside from the fact that my center/enter button no longer works. It's time for a new one but I'm frustrated that all the new Harmony versions have the most used buttons up top instead of right where your thumb would be naturally oriented lower on the remote. For those of you who've had to replace yours what did you find to be the best alternative? As someone who uses a DVR for 90% of viewing I really miss the correct button placement.
Ultimate One

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
post #11587 of 11595 Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Ultimate One
But he said right in his post that he doesn't want the Ultimate because of the awkward layout, a major reason most in this thread, including me, would never use an Ultimate.
Dr. Jekyll likes this.
post #11588 of 11595 Old 04-11-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
But he said right in his post that he doesn't want the Ultimate because of the awkward layout, a major reason most in this thread, including me, would never use an Ultimate.
Exactly, I can't imagine why Logitech is missing the boat. When I first started I had a receiver, TV, LD, DVD, CD, HD-DVD, BluRay & cable box. Today I've been able to simplify my life with an oppo, receiver, TV and cable box. With a majority of content off my oppo I really only need to fire up my system and use either the cable or oppo remote. I wish Logitech would realize many HT enthusiasts no longer need 15 units and prefer the ergonomics of a remote one could use blindly. No way would I spend $300 for a remote that's not even comfortable in the hand. I really think they're missing the boat. When I used to help my friends install their systems I'd always include a Harmony One. Now I just program the cable remote which by the way is nearly identical in ergo functions as the H1 and it's free!
post #11589 of 11595 Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At first I did not like the Ultimate but given more time I'm liking it more each day.
joe221 likes this.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
post #11590 of 11595 Old 04-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
At first I did not like the Ultimate but given more time I'm liking it more each day.
Thanks for the feedback Merc. I'm happy to know that it has been working out for you. If Logitech doesn't solve the issue it's good to know there's an alternative. Maybe not a great one but one that has worked for some.
post #11591 of 11595 Old 04-12-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Depending what country you're in, the Home Control is another alternative with the transport buttons in the more logical location:
http://myharmony.com/products/detail/home-control/

Of course your system needs to be simple enough that you don't require an LCD and only use 6 activities regularly. You can have more activities controlled via the tablet/phone app, but that doesn't seem very user friendly to me.

Ben
post #11592 of 11595 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Ultimate for about a year now..and I finally decided to sell it. Looking to get a ONE or a URC MX-880. I would prefer the ONE, but before I buy it, I want to make sure it will work with my setup. RF is a must as my cabinet is sitting behind me, as well as turning on and off a projector that requires 2 power commands to turn off. Will this remote work for me?
post #11593 of 11595 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralsfire View Post
I have had the Ultimate for about a year now..and I finally decided to sell it. Looking to get a ONE or a URC MX-880. I would prefer the ONE, but before I buy it, I want to make sure it will work with my setup. RF is a must as my cabinet is sitting behind me, as well as turning on and off a projector that requires 2 power commands to turn off. Will this remote work for me?
The Harmony One will not turn off your projector or do RF. It's "off" feature is like most other Harmony remotes. It's not programmable and will just trigger the power off once. I have to always manually shut down my projector and raise the screen.
post #11594 of 11595 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
If you want RF and that shape you want a different discontinued model. The 900. It also has a higher res screen and the color buttons the One never got.

I've had the Ultimate since it was new and now when I use my One or 900 I find them oddly big and clumsy. I got used to it and with the firmware updates it became my favorite remote of the bunch.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #11595 of 11595 Unread Today, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
as well as turning on and off a projector that requires 2 power commands to turn off. Will this remote work for me?
I hate to disagree with another poster, but I have a One and use it to turn off my Panny projector everyday. The Panny requires the power button be hit twice and I've programed the One to do that. Now, I don't remember exactly how, but it was in the power settings for that device. If you end up getting a One/900, I'll double check my settings for exactly how that was done.

RF is not supported by the One, you have to move up to the 900 for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page