Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 388 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes
post #11611 of 11638 Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 617
^^^
Another thing to consider is that IR dimmers need to be line of sight. So if your TV is in front of you and your wall switch is behind you, your activities that use both will fail. IMO, if you're spending big bucks on home automation anyway, may as well do it right and forego IR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11638 Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
It appears that series is not IR, so your One won't work. If you manage to find some sort of IR gateway device, then it may be possible to control it. Since that kind of thing is a couple hundred bucks anyway, may as well upgrade to Ultimate Home and control it natively. You'll need to confirm those are on the list of compatible devices for that remote though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Just a bit of additional info... If you're not absolutely tied to that particular series of Lutron dimmer, the Lutron Maestro IR series of dimmers is IR-controlled. I don't have any myself to be able to strongly recommend for or against them, but I have set them up with various Harmony remotes for friends, and they do seem to work OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post
I have one of the Lutron IR dimmers in the master bedroom and our Harmony 650 controls it just fine. It's a nice bonus to be able to include it in activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I've also had a Lutron Maestro IR dimmer for several years and it works flawlessly with my 880 (meaning it will also work with the One). I find the physical switch on the Maestro kind of poorly designed -- sometimes it turns "on" to full brightness from dim when I meant to turn it off -- it's almost certainly operator error on my part, but they could have designed the physical switch better IMO. That said, the switch works flawlessly and intuitively from the remote

One drawback of the Maestro is I don't think they have any way to support control multiple dimmers in the same area. It would be nice if they had an "A, B, C" channel switch so you could separately control different dimmers in the same room. That said, if you need a single dimer control in a room, it's hard to beat and it's only about $30 at Home Depot and elsewhere.
Thanks for all of the responses. I didnt realize the dimmer i bought was not IR. Not a huge deal, i can use the remote that came with the dimmer, i just thought it would be easier to use the harmony remote. Its not worth it to uninstall the dimmer and bring it back to home depot. Plus, i think i threw away the receipt already. Thanks again though for the help!
post #11613 of 11638 Old 05-01-2015, 05:22 PM
pjp

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Plus, i think i threw away the receipt already.
In case you change your mind, Home Depot will take it back without the receipt as long as you have the original credit card you bought it with -- have done this many times. No time limit on returns to Home Depot either (as long as they still sell the item, they will take it back).
post #11614 of 11638 Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Cisco 9865HDC and Harmony One

My Harmony one is doing weird things with this new box from TWC. It appears to be working fine until you go into any kind of settings. Then it will skip every other one. For example, I was trying to change the background color on Navigator but the remote would not let me stop there it went on to the next thing and then when you press the down or up arrow it skips that one and goes on to the next one. I called Harmony today for help. They say they are open 10 to 5 but all I get the message telling me that. This is the six dvr box TWC is putting out. BTW the remote that TWC gave me works perfectly. So it may be time to dump the one and go back to two remotes. The TWC remote will not accept my sound bar -- it has a 4 digit code and TWC only allow 3. Any ideas or anyhow thanks for the rant!
post #11615 of 11638 Old 05-03-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
My Harmony one is doing weird things with this new box from TWC. It appears to be working fine until you go into any kind of settings. Then it will skip every other one. For example, I was trying to change the background color on Navigator but the remote would not let me stop there it went on to the next thing and then when you press the down or up arrow it skips that one and goes on to the next one. I called Harmony today for help. They say they are open 10 to 5 but all I get the message telling me that. This is the six dvr box TWC is putting out. BTW the remote that TWC gave me works perfectly. So it may be time to dump the one and go back to two remotes. The TWC remote will not accept my sound bar -- it has a 4 digit code and TWC only allow 3. Any ideas or anyhow thanks for the rant!
Should be a simple fix. In the Harmony software, go into troubleshooting for that device and select "...responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally." Then reduce the setting, which represents the number of command repeats the One sends out. Once completed, update your One and give it a try. You may have to experiment a bit to find the best setting.

I've found it fairly common to have to reduce the number of repeats for devices. How a device responds to command repeats is a function of the particular device, not the One.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6

Last edited by jcalabria; 05-03-2015 at 02:29 PM.
post #11616 of 11638 Old 05-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Fixed thanks to jcalabria

You solution seems to have fixed my problem with the new cable box. Thank you for the correct and speedy answer!
post #11617 of 11638 Old 05-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

skipping stopped but still not working

My Harmony One stopped the skipping but it only turns everything on about 30% of the time. I have called tech support several times over the years and they are no help. The best they offer is a discount on a new remote. This remote has never worked right and I have made many calls, looks like I now have a doorstop. The TWC remote works great except I need another remote for the sound bar.
post #11618 of 11638 Old 05-05-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My Harmony One stopped the skipping but it only turns everything on about 30% of the time. I have called tech support several times over the years and they are no help. The best they offer is a discount on a new remote. This remote has never worked right and I have made many calls, looks like I now have a doorstop. The TWC remote works great except I need another remote for the sound bar.
Depending on the model, your TWC remote can control everything and do activities and be programmed from a PC/Mac like your Harmony. Even a 3 device cable TV remote can be programmed to control an unlimited number of devices. If you're interested in trying that approach, post a pic or link to a pic of your TWC remote.

Are you sure you can't control your soundbar with TV codes via learning on the soundbar side or via HDMI? That's how they usually work, no soundbar remote or codes required.
post #11619 of 11638 Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

The Vizio sound bar has a four digit code and the TWC remote will only accept a 3 digit code. This is a link to the TWC remote -- https://www.timewarnercable.com/cont..._UR5U8780L.png
post #11620 of 11638 Old 05-06-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Vizio sound bar has a four digit code and the TWC remote will only accept a 3 digit code.
Thanks. Unfortunately that one has virtually no universal remote capabilities.

But I think you misunderstand how the codes work. It's not that Vizio uses a 4 digit code. It's that a Vizio sound bar code exists for your URC remote or it doesn't. Even if your URC took 4 digit codes, any other code you found, besides ones in the remote's manual, wouldn't work. They are specific to the universal remote make. So you need to limit your code search to TWC's documentation for that specific remote.
post #11621 of 11638 Old 05-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately that one has virtually no universal remote capabilities.

But I think you misunderstand how the codes work. It's not that Vizio uses a 4 digit code. It's that a Vizio sound bar code exists for your URC remote or it doesn't. Even if your URC took 4 digit codes, any other code you found, besides ones in the remote's manual, wouldn't work. They are specific to the universal remote make. So you need to limit your code search to TWC's documentation for that specific remote.
TWC does not show any Vizio codes as they are all 4 digits and TWC only takes 3 digits.
post #11622 of 11638 Old 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
TWC does not show any Vizio codes as they are all 4 digits and TWC only takes 3 digits.
Try AUX 551.
post #11623 of 11638 Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try AUX 551.
Does not work
post #11624 of 11638 Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm afraid I already know the answer to my question based on all of the searching and reading of information about the H1.

However, I would like to have the RGBY soft buttons on my screen to BE those colors to control my D* box.

From what I can find out, that was a capability on the older H1 software but not with the current version of the software.

Or am I missing something somewhere that will allow me to have those buttons colored without hacking into some database or code somewhere?

Done enough of that for my lifetime.

TIA

Jim
post #11625 of 11638 Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Finally Logitech comes around

I bought a Harmony One is 2012. It has never worked right. I have several posts on this site asking for help plus calling their tech support.
Finally they have decided to replace my Harmony One with a new Harmony One Ultimate. Lots of phone time etc to get to this point but they did stand behind the product. They are sending me the Ultimate.

I asked if they wanted the old one back and they said no. They set it so I cannot make any changes on it so it really will become a door stop
post #11626 of 11638 Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
I love my Harmony One's (I have two). Unfortunately, after years of heavy use, they seem to be wearing out. I find that some keys are not reliable any more, requiring a couple of presses to get the key to work. So I am in the market for replacements.

I am considering the Harmony Ultimate One as the replacement, since I would like to stay with Harmony. Who has replaced the Harmony One with an Ultimate One? Once you get used to the new remote, are you as happy with it? Are there other models I should consider?
post #11627 of 11638 Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We got a Harmony Ultimate from Logitech when the battery failed in our H1 and could not be removed. The Ultimate functions OK and they provide channel icons for a lot of stations and you can adjust the time on the remote without connecting to a computer. It fits the hand well and isn't too heavy. I think that is the end of the list of good things.

It is VERY easy to touch the wrong thing on the LCD screen or to inadvertently slide it to a different screen. It is way too easy to get it into some Help or Setup screen and for others in the family then to have no idea how they got there, where they are, or how to recover. We've had the Ultimate for quite a while now and the problems or unwanted actions happen at least once a week, usually more often. Wish we could go back to the H1. We also have an 880 and much prefer it.
post #11628 of 11638 Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post
We got a Harmony Ultimate from Logitech when the battery failed in our H1 and could not be removed. The Ultimate functions OK and they provide channel icons for a lot of stations and you can adjust the time on the remote without connecting to a computer. It fits the hand well and isn't too heavy. I think that is the end of the list of good things.

It is VERY easy to touch the wrong thing on the LCD screen or to inadvertently slide it to a different screen. It is way too easy to get it into some Help or Setup screen and for others in the family then to have no idea how they got there, where they are, or how to recover. We've had the Ultimate for quite a while now and the problems or unwanted actions happen at least once a week, usually more often. Wish we could go back to the H1. We also have an 880 and much prefer it.

This is why I bought a bunch of them on ebay for dirt cheap....the H1 I meant.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #11629 of 11638 Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

Since my original note, I purchased the Ultimate One. It is not as ergonomic as the H1, making it much more difficult to operate with one hand. The placement of the control buttons (play, pause, stop, etc.) is awkward. And as you say, the touch screen is too sensitive, resulting in frequent unwanted commands. Then there is the whole new programming interface, which takes some getting used to. And having some customizations happened directly on the remote while others are done through the web page adds to some initial confusion. And it feels cheaper than the H1, with uncomfortably sharp edges.

It is hard to believe that Logitech made such a huge step backwards with this product, in my opinion, of course. But then, after a couple of months of use, I may warm up to it.
post #11630 of 11638 Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Since my original note, I purchased the Ultimate One. It is not as ergonomic as the H1, making it much more difficult to operate with one hand. The placement of the control buttons (play, pause, stop, etc.) is awkward. And as you say, the touch screen is too sensitive, resulting in frequent unwanted commands. Then there is the whole new programming interface, which takes some getting used to. And having some customizations happened directly on the remote while others are done through the web page adds to some initial confusion. And it feels cheaper than the H1, with uncomfortably sharp edges.

It is hard to believe that Logitech made such a huge step backwards with this product, in my opinion, of course. But then, after a couple of months of use, I may warm up to it.

After 3-4 weeks, I stopped using an U1 and replaced it with a 650. For me the U1 was a also huge step backwards from an H1 for the reasons you describe..
mdavej likes this.
post #11631 of 11638 Old 05-18-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Does anyone know if they're planning on making an improved version that's more ergonomic/better UI like the One?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #11632 of 11638 Old 05-18-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Does anyone know if they're planning on making an improved version that's more ergonomic/better UI like the One?
Don't know, but I have discovered something about the Ultimate One that is an improvement over the H1. The new remote will accept sequences (macros) with up to 25 commands, whereas the H1 was limited to 5 commands.

Now I can set up keys on the touchscreen for my DirecTV DVR's like "To Do List" and " Season Pases", which require more than 5 commands. This is actually quite handy.
post #11633 of 11638 Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
After 3-4 weeks, I stopped using an U1 and replaced it with a 650. For me the U1 was a also huge step backwards from an H1 for the reasons you describe..
Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide a brief description of what features the 650 lacks when compared with either the H1 or the U1?
post #11634 of 11638 Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide a brief description of what features the 650 lacks when compared with either the H1 or the U1?
Off the top of my head, the 650's button placement is similar to the H1, with smaller buttons that provide less tactile feedback. Like the H1 it has separate FF, FR, skip, and backskip buttons, Its display isn't a touchscreen. I prefer 650's disposable battery to H1's charging cradle.

I use the 650 to control a simple configuration of a TV connected to an extender for Windows Media Center, so I haven't encountered any limitations using the 650. As much as I like the H1 and wish I could purchase another as backup for the primary HTPC remote, it's overkill for this application.

Last edited by bmcn; 05-19-2015 at 06:16 AM.
post #11635 of 11638 Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Off the top of my head, the 650's button placement is similar to the H1, with smaller buttons that provide less tactile feedback. Like the H1 it has separate FF, FR, skip, and backskip buttons, It's display isn't a touchscreen. I prefer 650's disposable battery to H1's charging cradle.

I use the 650 to control a simple configuration of a TV connected to an extender for Windows Media Center, so I haven't encountered any limitations using the 650. As much as I like the H1 and wish I could purchase another as backup for the primary HTPC remote, it's overkill for this application.
I did some more reading on the 650. Unfortunately, I have a fairly complex setup that requires quite a few devices (I have 10 set up right now), so I am not sure the 650 will give me complete control over my system. Thanks for your feedback. I guess I am forced to use the new Ultimate One.
post #11636 of 11638 Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

... also:

Code:
                   650          One
Devices             8           15
Macro steps         25          5
Functions 
per page            4           6
Colored 
buttons             Y           N
Unless you have over 8 devices, a $35 refurb 650 is a no-brainer over a $250 used One. The Ultimate works better for people who have never used a remote before and wouldn't know what they are missing.

If you aren't married to Logitech, I highly recommend you give the Xsight Color / Nevo C2 a try. It has nearly all the features of the One (15 devices, 6 functions per page, channel logos, activities) at a fraction of the price (under $20). Unlike the One, it has button access to screen functions and standard batteries (like the 650), unlimited length sequences and multiple favorites lists. The programming software is much more full featured (pronto hex import, convert learns to devices, load/save configs locally). It has a Help system similar to Harmony, but has no state tracking, so is best suited to a system that has all discrete commands available.

Last edited by mdavej; 05-19-2015 at 06:20 AM.
post #11637 of 11638 Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried to change the time via the remote settings screen. The first screen had 2014 as the latest year. No 2015. Is that normal?

Sent from my HTC One M8
post #11638 of 11638 Unread Today, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I tried to change the time via the remote settings screen. The first screen had 2014 as the latest year. No 2015. Is that normal?

Sent from my HTC One M8
If you update from the software once, then you can change it. Why a remote would need a date display in the first place has always puzzled me anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page