Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 388 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
post #11611 of 11619 Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 608
^^^
Another thing to consider is that IR dimmers need to be line of sight. So if your TV is in front of you and your wall switch is behind you, your activities that use both will fail. IMO, if you're spending big bucks on home automation anyway, may as well do it right and forego IR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11619 Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
It appears that series is not IR, so your One won't work. If you manage to find some sort of IR gateway device, then it may be possible to control it. Since that kind of thing is a couple hundred bucks anyway, may as well upgrade to Ultimate Home and control it natively. You'll need to confirm those are on the list of compatible devices for that remote though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Just a bit of additional info... If you're not absolutely tied to that particular series of Lutron dimmer, the Lutron Maestro IR series of dimmers is IR-controlled. I don't have any myself to be able to strongly recommend for or against them, but I have set them up with various Harmony remotes for friends, and they do seem to work OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post
I have one of the Lutron IR dimmers in the master bedroom and our Harmony 650 controls it just fine. It's a nice bonus to be able to include it in activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I've also had a Lutron Maestro IR dimmer for several years and it works flawlessly with my 880 (meaning it will also work with the One). I find the physical switch on the Maestro kind of poorly designed -- sometimes it turns "on" to full brightness from dim when I meant to turn it off -- it's almost certainly operator error on my part, but they could have designed the physical switch better IMO. That said, the switch works flawlessly and intuitively from the remote

One drawback of the Maestro is I don't think they have any way to support control multiple dimmers in the same area. It would be nice if they had an "A, B, C" channel switch so you could separately control different dimmers in the same room. That said, if you need a single dimer control in a room, it's hard to beat and it's only about $30 at Home Depot and elsewhere.
Thanks for all of the responses. I didnt realize the dimmer i bought was not IR. Not a huge deal, i can use the remote that came with the dimmer, i just thought it would be easier to use the harmony remote. Its not worth it to uninstall the dimmer and bring it back to home depot. Plus, i think i threw away the receipt already. Thanks again though for the help!
post #11613 of 11619 Old 05-01-2015, 05:22 PM
pjp

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Plus, i think i threw away the receipt already.
In case you change your mind, Home Depot will take it back without the receipt as long as you have the original credit card you bought it with -- have done this many times. No time limit on returns to Home Depot either (as long as they still sell the item, they will take it back).
post #11614 of 11619 Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Cisco 9865HDC and Harmony One

My Harmony one is doing weird things with this new box from TWC. It appears to be working fine until you go into any kind of settings. Then it will skip every other one. For example, I was trying to change the background color on Navigator but the remote would not let me stop there it went on to the next thing and then when you press the down or up arrow it skips that one and goes on to the next one. I called Harmony today for help. They say they are open 10 to 5 but all I get the message telling me that. This is the six dvr box TWC is putting out. BTW the remote that TWC gave me works perfectly. So it may be time to dump the one and go back to two remotes. The TWC remote will not accept my sound bar -- it has a 4 digit code and TWC only allow 3. Any ideas or anyhow thanks for the rant!
post #11615 of 11619 Old 05-03-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
My Harmony one is doing weird things with this new box from TWC. It appears to be working fine until you go into any kind of settings. Then it will skip every other one. For example, I was trying to change the background color on Navigator but the remote would not let me stop there it went on to the next thing and then when you press the down or up arrow it skips that one and goes on to the next one. I called Harmony today for help. They say they are open 10 to 5 but all I get the message telling me that. This is the six dvr box TWC is putting out. BTW the remote that TWC gave me works perfectly. So it may be time to dump the one and go back to two remotes. The TWC remote will not accept my sound bar -- it has a 4 digit code and TWC only allow 3. Any ideas or anyhow thanks for the rant!
Should be a simple fix. In the Harmony software, go into troubleshooting for that device and select "...responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally." Then reduce the setting, which represents the number of command repeats the One sends out. Once completed, update your One and give it a try. You may have to experiment a bit to find the best setting.

I've found it fairly common to have to reduce the number of repeats for devices. How a device responds to command repeats is a function of the particular device, not the One.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6

Last edited by jcalabria; 05-03-2015 at 02:29 PM.
post #11616 of 11619 Old 05-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Fixed thanks to jcalabria

You solution seems to have fixed my problem with the new cable box. Thank you for the correct and speedy answer!
post #11617 of 11619 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

skipping stopped but still not working

My Harmony One stopped the skipping but it only turns everything on about 30% of the time. I have called tech support several times over the years and they are no help. The best they offer is a discount on a new remote. This remote has never worked right and I have made many calls, looks like I now have a doorstop. The TWC remote works great except I need another remote for the sound bar.
post #11618 of 11619 Unread Today, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
My Harmony One stopped the skipping but it only turns everything on about 30% of the time. I have called tech support several times over the years and they are no help. The best they offer is a discount on a new remote. This remote has never worked right and I have made many calls, looks like I now have a doorstop. The TWC remote works great except I need another remote for the sound bar.
Depending on the model, your TWC remote can control everything and do activities and be programmed from a PC/Mac like your Harmony. Even a 3 device cable TV remote can be programmed to control an unlimited number of devices. If you're interested in trying that approach, post a pic or link to a pic of your TWC remote.

Are you sure you can't control your soundbar with TV codes via learning on the soundbar side or via HDMI? That's how they usually work, no soundbar remote or codes required.
post #11619 of 11619 Unread Today, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

The Vizio sound bar has a four digit code and the TWC remote will only accept a 3 digit code. This is a link to the TWC remote -- https://www.timewarnercable.com/cont..._UR5U8780L.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page