post #91 of 11354 Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you would like the remote asap, I would cancel your order. Best Buy will receive stock weeks before Amazon. The Harmony One should be at Best Buy retail stores within two weeks.

At least for now, there is no reason to order from Amazon, as they are charging full MSRP. At Best Buy, use this 10% off coupon plus any Rewards coupons that you have.

If you are willing to wait until late March or April, I'm sure Amazon will have a cheaper price. Amazon always charges more for preorders than they do shipping product.

Doesn't look like I can use the 10% off for online orders? Don't think the stores have the Harmony One in-stock yet. But thanks for the heads up on the coupon though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 11354 Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb01 View Post

Ordered mine from Bestbuy.com on 1/22 with express delivery and recieved on 1/23. They did and possibly do still have some in stock.

How do you like it? Details if you don't mind.

Rob
post #93 of 11354 Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Doesn't look like I can use the 10% off for online orders? Don't think the stores have the Harmony One in-stock yet. But thanks for the heads up on the coupon though!

A number of Best Buy stores now have the Harmony One in stock. Most stores should have it by this time next week.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 11354 Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

A number of Best Buy stores now have the Harmony One in stock. Most stores should have it by this time next week.

You are right! Called two stores...of course the closest doesn't have it, but the one 10 miles away has 13 in stock. So I'll swing by with the 10% off coupon and get it. Thanks for the tip!
post #95 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:

You are right! Called two stores...of course the closest doesn't have it, but the one 10 miles away has 13 in stock. So I'll swing by with the 10% off coupon and get it. Thanks for the tip!

Nothing here iat the Appleton, WI BB. Had the sales person check the computer. He said estimated arrival was Mid February. I would pre-order it but then I figure it will be in stores and I'll be sitting waiting for it to ship.

Tom.
post #96 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 AM

I'm not holding my breath here on the East Coast. I'll scope out the local BB's this weekend in hopes of finding it. I tried pre-ordering it online but there must be an issue with the website. It won't allow me to get past the billing address screen if I'm logged in, but if I enter it as new customer without logging in I get all the way top the final screen, but then "unable to update order".
post #97 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethek View Post

How does the 'ONE' feel to handle? I like my 670 but there is something about it that leaves the feel of the remote lacking. I think it would do well with a rubberized backing so it did not feel on the verge of slipping out of control. Also just a tad more weight on the front end would be nice. Any one able to comment ?

For anyone that has the remote how would you comment on this? Thanks!
post #98 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
So is it confirmed; no rf / z-wave?
post #99 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkd View Post

So is it confirmed; no rf / z-wave?

That's correct. A RF version is in the works [for more money] later this year.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 PM

couple questions:

1. Does the screen have a lock on it like a cell phone so you don't hit an activity by accident?

2. Do the rest of the buttons on the remote glow?

thanks
post #101 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb01 View Post

Ordered mine from Bestbuy.com on 1/22 with express delivery and recieved on 1/23. They did and possibly do still have some in stock.

Lucky you! I'm jealous

BB sent me an email saying it's been backordered with delivery 1-2 weeks out. Anyone else get one?

Guess I'll have to start calling local stores to see if anyones got one yet.
post #102 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM

I was in luck! The Golden Ring BB here in Baltimore was just pulling them off the truck when I stopped on my way home. I was also able to use the 12% RZ coupon I got in the mail this week
post #103 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 PM

I posted this over at Remote Central but I figure a cross post won't hurt:

I just picked up my One from Best Buy. As others have said, it says coming soon, but mine had just gotten theirs today. I'm coming from an 880.

First impressions are good, the touch screen is very sharp and easy to use. When you have more than one page, a small arrow on the sides. Also there are two buttons on the bottom of the screen. If you are in an activity, the right button is the device list, and vice versa. All the buttons are 2x3 including favorites, and you can have 4 pages for 24 total favorites. (Side note about favorites, the desktop software now has built in icons for Fox stations. It may have been this way for a while, but first time I have noticed it.) As for everyones favorite topic of colored buttons, they do work on the additional buttons. It appears to be the Label that you set for the button, not the actual function. EX: on my XBox360, If you set the label for a button to Y, the Yellow Y button shows up like we have seen in that right hand column. If you set the label to something else, if won't show, even if the button still sends the Y command. The only button icons I have stumbled on are the XBox labels and the Scientific Atlanta ABC buttons. It DOES NOT have the DirecTV color buttons, at least not that I have found.

The overall button layout is definitely an improvement over my 880. The raised buttons and the spacing will be much easier, once I learn the layout. The off button is a little small for my tastes. It feels a little wider, even though it is the same width. It seems like it is more oval shaped, where as the 880 feels more circular. It doesn't have the nice feet that the 880 has, so when you set it down it rocks a little. The USB port has a nice cover. Hopefully it won't fall off.

I am happy to report they redesigned the charging base. I'm have to replace my 880 because like so many others, I have a hard time getting it to charge. The One base only has two contacts, and the stick up further than the 880. Also the contacts on the bottom of the remote are much bigger.

Overall, very nice. Not a necessary upgrade to an 880, unless like me you are having problems, but definitely very nice.
post #104 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmonisimo View Post

couple questions:

1. Does the screen have a lock on it like a cell phone so you don't hit an activity by accident?

2. Do the rest of the buttons on the remote glow?

thanks

1. remote will go into sleep mode after timeout and only wake up upon moving the reomote or pressing a key. It will only accept commands after it's awake

2. all keys have haave white backlight
post #105 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just went to BB and got my Harmony One! Yippeee...."replacing" my remote as we speak..then movie time!
post #106 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Called this morning. Both BB in Appleton, WI have Harmony one in stock and picked one up this morning. Charging as we speak.

Tom.
post #107 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 PM

If you already have an 880, can you just import the settings onto the Harmony One or must you totally re-program the new remote?
post #108 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Checked the 7.3 software on the home machine tonight after reading this thread and it told me that no update was available. Soooo, I went to the Logitech site, found the Harmony One in the support pages and sure enough, you can download the 7.4 software. Works fine with the 720 that I have, but no graphics for the soft keys that I can see for the 720. Guess that would have been hoping for too much.
post #109 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker2168 View Post

If you already have an 880, can you just import the settings onto the Harmony One or must you totally re-program the new remote?

I used the "replace remote" option of the software.
I had to reconfigure some of the custom buttons and such, but it was much quicker than configuring it from scratch.
post #110 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop69 View Post

I posted this over at Remote Central but I figure a cross post won't hurt:

I just picked up my One from Best Buy. As others have said, it says coming soon, but mine had just gotten theirs today. I'm coming from an 880.

First impressions are good, the touch screen is very sharp and easy to use. When you have more than one page, a small arrow on the sides. Also there are two buttons on the bottom of the screen. If you are in an activity, the right button is the device list, and vice versa. All the buttons are 2x3 including favorites, and you can have 4 pages for 24 total favorites. (Side note about favorites, the desktop software now has built in icons for Fox stations. It may have been this way for a while, but first time I have noticed it.) As for everyones favorite topic of colored buttons, they do work on the additional buttons. It appears to be the Label that you set for the button, not the actual function. EX: on my XBox360, If you set the label for a button to Y, the Yellow Y button shows up like we have seen in that right hand column. If you set the label to something else, if won't show, even if the button still sends the Y command. The only button icons I have stumbled on are the XBox labels and the Scientific Atlanta ABC buttons. It DOES NOT have the DirecTV color buttons, at least not that I have found.

The overall button layout is definitely an improvement over my 880. The raised buttons and the spacing will be much easier, once I learn the layout. The off button is a little small for my tastes. It feels a little wider, even though it is the same width. It seems like it is more oval shaped, where as the 880 feels more circular. It doesn't have the nice feet that the 880 has, so when you set it down it rocks a little. The USB port has a nice cover. Hopefully it won't fall off.

I am happy to report they redesigned the charging base. I'm have to replace my 880 because like so many others, I have a hard time getting it to charge. The One base only has two contacts, and the stick up further than the 880. Also the contacts on the bottom of the remote are much bigger.

Overall, very nice. Not a necessary upgrade to an 880, unless like me you are having problems, but definitely very nice.

Thank you very much for a definitive answer on "favorites"!
Not to mention all your other notes!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #111 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

So far, I think the touch screen was a HUGE mistake on Logitech's part. Firstly, as we know, only three activities per screen. Bzzzzzttt not good. Secondly, on the screens with six soft buttons, it's VERY hard to hit the right button. I found it highly frustrating trying to hit the right button.

If Logitech can re-release the Harmony One with 880-like LCD buttons (eight of them), NO touch screen, and four colored buttons, they would have a winner. As it stands, I may well take mine back due to the crappy touch screen problems. I think Logitech was trying to catch the 'touch screen iPhone' wave and really made a bad decision.

They spent so much time making the buttons unique and easy to find by feel, then they go and do a 180 on the touch screen and force you to carefully look at the soft button and firmly aim for the middle of the soft key, lest you push the wrong button.

For a million dollars of R&D, they really dropped the ball. Every Harmony user could tell them their legacy button layouts sucked.

As I use it I'll post more feedback, but so far it's certainly NOT the end-all and be-all of universal remotes.
post #112 of 11354 Old 01-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:

So far, I think the touch screen was a HUGE mistake on Logitech's part. Firstly, as we know, only three activities per screen. Bzzzzzttt not good. Secondly, on the screens with six soft buttons, it's VERY hard to hit the right button. I found it highly frustrating trying to hit the right button.

If Logitech can re-release the Harmony One with 880-like LCD buttons (eight of them), NO touch screen, and four colored buttons, they would have a winner. As it stands, I may well take mine back due to the crappy touch screen problems. I think Logitech was trying to catch the 'touch screen iPhone' wave and really made a bad decision.

They spent so much time making the buttons unique and easy to find by feel, then they go and do a 180 on the touch screen and force you to carefully look at the soft button and firmly aim for the middle of the soft key, lest you push the wrong button.

For a million dollars of R&D, they really dropped the ball. Every Harmony user could tell them their legacy button layouts sucked.

As I use it I'll post more feedback, but so far it's certainly NOT the end-all and be-all of universal remotes.

I've been using the remote for 4 hours and, so far, absolutely no problems hitting the right touch screen buttons regardless of whether it is the three or six button layout. So far, I'm loving the One much, much more than the 880.
post #113 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i got mine from BB yesterday, it worked flawlessly, i am concerned about hitting the activity button by mistake, its has not happened yet, on showing three activity at one screen i read that logitech is working on it, ONE very much solved most problem of 880 with better button layout. i like the option of soft device button which will give access to other devices without interfering with activity it helps mostly with my A/V receiver setting change without changing activity. I think when Price comes down to $200 or lower it is very good choice for lot of people.

One other concern i have is how sturdy this would be when you drop it on floor, for that reason i liked my 680 it has been very rugged for the use for last three years.
post #114 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If that is your evaluation then you have no choice--return it

It was not intended to be the ultimate remote just an upgrade over the 880
post #115 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

If that is your evaluation then you have no choice--return it

It was not intended to be the ultimate remote just an upgrade over the 880

My point is, the new touch screen LCD is a major step backwards from the 880 for a variety of reasons. It may sound cool, but reality is different. Professional reviewers have also complained about the touch screen as well, so I'm not alone in this matter.

Sometimes companies add 'features' just for marketing or sounding cool, but in the real world cause more problems than it fixes. The 880 LCD style interface was just dandy and if they used the new LCD screen the One has, minus the touch feature, it would be perfect.
post #116 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 AM

This may be a general question - not specific to the One, but I have to ask:
Is there a way to copy over the "favorites" channels from one device to another? I saw an option to have the favorites always show up, but I assume that means it would show up on the screen in place of the custom buttons when the activity starts.
post #117 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My point is, the new touch screen LCD is a major step backwards from the 880 for a variety of reasons. It may sound cool, but reality is different. Professional reviewers have also complained about the touch screen as well, so I'm not alone in this matter.

Sometimes companies add 'features' just for marketing or sounding cool, but in the real world cause more problems than it fixes. The 880 LCD style interface was just dandy and if they used the new LCD screen the One has, minus the touch feature, it would be perfect.

Take a look at the 720. To me it was an upgrade over the 880 at a lower cost point and it does not have the touch screen.
post #118 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

Take a look at the 720. To me it was an upgrade over the 880 at a lower cost point and it does not have the touch screen.

Unfortunately, many of the buttons on the 720 are 1/2 to 1/3 the size of those on the Harmony One.

I'll try to post a Harmony 720 vs Harmony One screenshot comparison soon.

post #119 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Just got mine yesterday due to charging problems with my 880. Buttons are great, ergonomics are great, charger is much better, and the touchscreen is much better than I would have imagined. The Upgrade Remote remembers devices and inputs, but sets up activities with default button configurations and ignores any changes you had made.
post #120 of 11354 Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoT View Post

This may be a general question - not specific to the One, but I have to ask:
Is there a way to copy over the "favorites" channels from one device to another? I saw an option to have the favorites always show up, but I assume that means it would show up on the screen in place of the custom buttons when the activity starts.

I never found one. I wind up recreating them from one activity to the next. I created multiple similar activities for my D* DVR ie. Sports News Movies etc to get 16 hot keys in each. It'd be nice to move groups and edit the particulars.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page