2Likes

post #1171 of 11319 Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

I would do that by customizing the power commands for the X10 device. Set it so that the X10 device's power OFF command is "LightsOn". The power ON command can be whatever you want the lights to be set to when you turn the system on. Add the X10 device to every activity and you should be all set.

Thanks for your response. I'm very new to this and I'm afraid I don't understand how to implement your suggestion. Or maybe I wasn't clear about what I want to do.
I will have an X10 controller that can sent power on, power off, dim, and bright commands to my light. As an example, I want to include in the "play dvd" activity a power on command for the lights. Then I want another sequence that is associated with the play button that will send a dim command to the lights. The idea is that when I start up the play dvd activity the lights come on and I can then insert the disc and sit down in the chair. Then when I press play it will dim the lights.

The other thing I will do is have the pause, eject and stop buttons send a sequence that includes turning the lights back to bright.

Finally (and this is what I can't figure out), I would also like to turn the lights to bright when I turn everything off. Then when I leave the room I will turn the lights off with a wireless wall switch.

So if you could give me more details on your suggestion I would appreciate it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

You need to make sure the remote is always in synch with your devices. When you use a "sleep" function the remote doesn't know you have turned devices off by another means (it's clever, but not psychic). When you press "Watch TV" in the morning, the remote still thinks the TV is on, so it doesn't try to turn it on again.

To fix your problem you need to make sure you press the "Off" button after you select the "sleep" function. Put your hand over the IR emitter when you press "Off" so no commands actually get to the devices, but the remote will be in synch in the morning.

Or, set a sequence button called sleep, which sets up things the way you want at shutdown and wake up button for startup (assuming that all devices are in sleep). Your harmony would always be on.

Or configure another watch tv (Sleep TV or something like that) activity to recognize which units are in sleep and do not send power toggles to them but a command to wake them up. Same for shutdown, send the sleep commands and power everything else off except what you want in sleep. I like this one best, since the harmony can then be off. It would require a shift from watch tv to sleep tv only if you started from all devices off. Or, just add power toggles to sleep tv to turn on what you want on. Then you only need one watch tv which would really be sleep tv.

Which is what I love about the Harmony. Lots of ways to make things do what your setup dictates and you can usually do just what you want.
post #1173 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter17319 View Post

In the past I've always updated my devices when there was a new one in their database.

But recently I did my Philips DVP5982 DVD player, and the new device entry I ended up with had no fast-forward or rewind commands! I don't just mean that the buttons on the remote were mapped incorrectly, but in the drop-down list of commands there were no FF or Rew commands to choose.

Needless to say, I reverted back to the old device! That sure was weird....

Had the same problem. Updated my TV when prompted and LOST some functionality. The new, updated device was almost exactly like the original remote. This means I lost almost all of the discrete codes. Called harmony and got the old device back and had them clone my account. Since I have had many device update notices, I go to the cloned account to test them. The update to my Dish Network DVR, a VIP 622, said the device could not learn any IR commands from the original remote; which I know is false since I've already done that many times.

So I also recommend being careful when accepting updated devices when prompted by the software.

I had to call harmony to get the old device back. How did you revert back to the old device?
post #1174 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan2 View Post

Thanks for your response. I'm very new to this and I'm afraid I don't understand how to implement your suggestion. Or maybe I wasn't clear about what I want to do.
I will have an X10 controller that can sent power on, power off, dim, and bright commands to my light. As an example, I want to include in the "play dvd" activity a power on command for the lights. Then I want another sequence that is associated with the play button that will send a dim command to the lights. The idea is that when I start up the play dvd activity the lights come on and I can then insert the disc and sit down in the chair. Then when I press play it will dim the lights.

The other thing I will do is have the pause, eject and stop buttons send a sequence that includes turning the lights back to bright.

Finally (and this is what I can't figure out), I would also like to turn the lights to bright when I turn everything off. Then when I leave the room I will turn the lights off with a wireless wall switch.

So if you could give me more details on your suggestion I would appreciate it. Thanks

This is how I see it working;
In the software, go into the X10 device and setup the power management to use a separate command for on and off. You however, will choose the same lightsON (or whatever it's called) command for both. Then add the X10 device to every activity you wish to use it in. Now, no matter what the situation is, the only power command sent is the lightsON command. It will be sent when you enter an activity with the X10 in it, change to an activity without the X10, and use the OFF button on the remote.

For the play, pause, stop, and eject sequences, go into the activity and customize buttons. There is a selection for add a sequence. Create all the sequences you need (play + lightsDIM, pause + lightsON, etc.) and map them to the appropriate buttons.

That should get you started, but if there's a better way, I'm sure someone will correct me.
post #1175 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use Girder 4.0 and the USB UIRT device and have the Logitech HR ONE. is it possible to control Media Player Classic (Home Cinema Edition) with my HR? If yes, how?
post #1176 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Very clever! I see exactly what you are saying. I think it will work. I'll try it early next week when my X10 equipment arrives. Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

This is how I see it working;
In the software, go into the X10 device and setup the power management to use a separate command for on and off. You however, will choose the same lightsON (or whatever it's called) command for both. Then add the X10 device to every activity you wish to use it in. Now, no matter what the situation is, the only power command sent is the lightsON command. It will be sent when you enter an activity with the X10 in it, change to an activity without the X10, and use the OFF button on the remote.

For the play, pause, stop, and eject sequences, go into the activity and customize buttons. There is a selection for add a sequence. Create all the sequences you need (play + lightsDIM, pause + lightsON, etc.) and map them to the appropriate buttons.

That should get you started, but if there's a better way, I'm sure someone will correct me.

post #1177 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Had the same problem. Updated my TV when prompted and LOST some functionality. The new, updated device was almost exactly like the original remote. This means I lost almost all of the discrete codes. Called harmony and got the old device back and had them clone my account. Since I have had many device update notices, I go to the cloned account to test them. The update to my Dish Network DVR, a VIP 622, said the device could not learn any IR commands from the original remote; which I know is false since I've already done that many times.

So I also recommend being careful when accepting updated devices when prompted by the software.

I had to call harmony to get the old device back. How did you revert back to the old device?

Had the exact same thing happen this past weekend with my AV Receiver and spent almost an hour on the phone with Harmony to get it back. The response from Harmony..."If your system is working, DO NOT download updated devices."

My response..."Won't have to tell me that twice.".
post #1178 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Logitech really needs to implement "restore points" for configuration changes. Let me take a snapshot, experiment, then roll-back to a prior snapshot. This would be great for trying new device updates, or other changes that I'm not sure I will like.

I think anything that reduces the number of support calls and let's users do things themselves would be a big win for Logitech.
post #1179 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Logitech really needs to implement "restore points" for configuration changes. Let me take a snapshot, experiment, then roll-back to a prior snapshot. This would be great for trying new device updates, or other changes that I'm not sure I will like. ...

I've had Harmony remotes for years - I've never received notification of new device profiles becoming available. How do you receive notification? E-mail?
post #1180 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:

First, try keeping the harmony pointed at the receiver when you switch. If it changes, then it is the delay setting (or you could have the directional problem with the receiver- easily checked in device mode).

If that does not work, turn everything off from the watch dvd activity, then turn on watch tv activity. If the receiver does not go to the proper setting, then you have to go back and re-do that activity to make sure the receiver is at the proper setting.

Beekeeper
Thank you for the reply. When I switch from Watch DVD to Watch TV, the AV receiver will just not switch from Multichannel to Video 1, no matter how long it points at it. If I go into devices, yes I can find the command and get it to switch.

When I power off from the Watch DVD activity and then power back on to Watch TV it does go to the proper input, not Multichannel. So, is this a delay setting problem or something else? Any ideas?
Thanks again.
Mike
post #1181 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by emddvm View Post

When I switch from Watch DVD to Watch TV, the AV receiver will just not switch from Multichannel to Video 1

Are you sure you are not confusing settings? Multichannel is not the same as device Input.
post #1182 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg View Post

I've had Harmony remotes for years - I've never received notification of new device profiles becoming available. How do you receive notification? E-mail?

I got a notification within the Harmony software a few weeks ago.
post #1183 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Are you sure you are not confusing settings? Multichannel is not the same as device Input.

Umm, my receiver is the same way - there is a "multichannel" input that uses discrete audio inputs, and then there are the other inputs too like VCR1, VCR2, etc.
post #1184 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

But he is talking about a DVD source and a broadcast TV source.
post #1185 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emddvm View Post

Beekeeper
Thank you for the reply. When I switch from Watch DVD to Watch TV, the AV receiver will just not switch from Multichannel to Video 1, no matter how long it points at it. If I go into devices, yes I can find the command and get it to switch.

When I power off from the Watch DVD activity and then power back on to Watch TV it does go to the proper input, not Multichannel. So, is this a delay setting problem or something else? Any ideas?
Thanks again.
Mike

One thing you could do is go into your "Watch TV" activity and go to the section which allows you to add extra commands at the start of the activity, and select the receiver and the button press for Video 1. My Yamaha receiver treats the multichannel input kind of oddly so I can see where the receiver and/or the remote could be at fault. The problem is that the multichannel input may be considered more as a "sound mode" by the remote rather than a discrete input, and it has no way to know it needs to change the "sound mode" when going from DVD to TV.
post #1186 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

But he is talking about a DVD source and a broadcast TV source.

On the receiver it sounds like it's supposed to be using the Multichannel input when watching a DVD, and the Video 1 input when watching TV. I think the Harmony isn't considering the multichannel input as invalidating the Video 1 setting.
post #1187 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:

On the receiver it sounds like it's supposed to be using the Multichannel input when watching a DVD, and the Video 1 input when watching TV. I think the Harmony isn't considering the multichannel input as invalidating the Video 1 setting.

You are correct. Multichannel for DVD and Video 1 for TV. The Harmony will just not switch the input when you go from DVD directly to TV. It obviously does recognize the Multichannel command and output it correctly since when you go from power off to Watch DVD it will switch from Video 1 to Multichannel. In the device mode I can made it switch back and forth without any problem using the commands on the LCD.

Mike
post #1188 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried delays and repeats?
post #1189 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Liked: 11
I received my Harmony One last week and set it all up and it works fine. However it does seem to have a weaker infrared transmitter than my other remotes. It is not bad but it just does not have the power that strong infrared emitters do. I have to point it more towards the devices if things are in the way in order for it to work whereas on the strong remotes I have (like my Explorer 2000 Cable Box remote for example) I don't need to aim it so precisely.

Well today I just received my new Harmony 890 Pro remote. I set it up and it is indeed more powerful than the H-One infrared emitter. I can pretty much point the 890 Pro in any direction in my living room and all devices respond. Cannot do that with the Harmony One.

On the positive side, the Harmony One has a much better LCD display, has brighter and better backlight and buttom visibility and is has a much better ergonomic keys layout.

I just wish that they did not skimp down on the infrared emitters. (I don't believe I have a defective unit, I think that is just the way these ONES are).

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #1190 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM

A few people have had better results after exchanging it.

I haven't noticed much of a problem, I can face the H1 in the opposite direction of the cable box with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

I received my Harmony One last week and set it all up and it works fine. However it does seem to have a weaker infrared transmitter than my other remotes. It is not bad but it just does not have the power that strong infrared emitters do. I have to point it more towards the devices if things are in the way in order for it to work whereas on the strong remotes I have (like my Explorer 2000 Cable Box remote for example) I don't need to aim it so precisely.

Well today I just received my new Harmony 890 Pro remote. I set it up and it is indeed more powerful than the H-One infrared emitter. I can pretty much point the 890 Pro in any direction in my living room and all devices respond. Cannot do that with the Harmony One.

On the positive side, the Harmony One has a much better LCD display, has brighter and better backlight and buttom visibility and is has a much better ergonomic keys layout.

I just wish that they did not skimp down on the infrared emitters. (I don't believe I have a defective unit, I think that is just the way these ONES are).

post #1191 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agreed. My H1 is much stonger than any remote I've ever had including my previous Harmony H68. I would exchange it if I were you.
post #1192 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve View Post

A few people have had better results after exchanging it.

I haven't noticed much of a problem, I can face the H1 in the opposite direction of the cable box with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

Agreed. My H1 is much stonger than any remote I've ever had including my previous Harmony H68. I would exchange it if I were you.

Well my H-One infrared is not all that weak. I can bounce it off the ceiling and such and it will work, so I don't think anything is wrong with it. It is usable. It is just that with the more powerful remotes like the 890 Pro is, I can point it just about anywhere in my room and it just works. With the H-One, there are spots where it whimps out. Batteries fully charged so not a weak battery. I am really pleased and enjoying the 890 Pro's strong and reliable emitter. On top of that I bought a wireless receiver for it too and have set that up. It is absolutely head over heels the better solution for my needs right now. I have a TV set whose infrared receiver eye is hidden out of view and hard to get at line of sight. So I used the wireless RF blaster and everything responds like clockwork with the 890 Pro. I also wound up paying less for the full 890 Pro plus companion Wireless RF adapter than I did for the H-ONE.

I am happy with both. But I like the stronger and more reliable signal that the 890 Pro puts out and that makes it more a pleasure to use day to day than the hit or miss H-One. The H-One is going up to the master bedroom now where all my devices are line-of-sight. It should work beautifully there.

post #1193 of 11319 Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I thought the 890 was RF?

Dave

post #1194 of 11319 Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 AM

Harmoney One for $189. Only a couple left though when I checked.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=40874221
post #1195 of 11319 Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

When my devices were updated, it created a new device with a new name, like "TV 2" or "DVD 2". I don't remember if I had to tell it to do that or if it happens by default.

When I'm convinced that the updated device is good, I can then delete the old one and rename the new one to the proper name.

For those of you who haven't ever updated your devices, it can sometimes be a good thing. The power on/off for my TV and DVR are both working a lot more smoothly now.

Obviously if you never have any issues with anything, there's no point in doing it. But mine were a little bit flaky, so it helped.
post #1196 of 11319 Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Guy View Post

Harmoney One for $189. Only a couple left though when I checked.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=40874221

Got it at Circuit City today for only $205.00 -- first I used 8% off coupon for having AAA membership. Then, I used 24 minute pickup. But the keystone cops at the counter and the warehouse couldn't find the Harmony One (they had the wrong one waiting when I got there).

By the time they found it, it was over the 24 minutes so they gave me another $24.00 off.

Not bad.
post #1197 of 11319 Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I thought the 890 was RF?

The 890 and 890 Pro are infrared as well as RF capable. I am comparing only the infrared emitter signal strength of the 890 PRO with the H-One, not the RF signal.

My H-One lags far behind the 890 Pro in infrared transmit strength.
Just out of curiosity maybe we can compare what hardware version I have with others who own the H-One. You can see what hardware and firmware version yours is during the Update Remote using the configuration software.
When I do a "Update Remote" and click the "show status" details button in the very beginning text parts it shows the versions. You have to be quick to cut and paste it before it completes and closes the page window. Mine shows me this info:

Getting remote control information
Logitech Harmony Remote Software version: 7.4.3
Hardware version: Board 0.5.0 (0x1F:0xC8)
Firmware version: 2.5

So for those of you that have reported weak infrared symptoms is it the same hardware version as mine? for those that say they don't have a weak infrared signal, what hardware version is yours?

Maybe we can spot a hardware version related problem?

Thanks.

post #1198 of 11319 Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The HT Guys reviewed the One on their current show, and gave a well deserved nod to http://www.iconharmony.com.

Read it here:
http://www.htguys.com/archive/2008/March14.html

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1199 of 11319 Old 03-14-2008, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

...Just out of curiosity maybe we can compare what hardware version I have with others who own the H-One...Mine shows me this info:

Getting remote control information
Logitech Harmony Remote Software version: 7.4.3
Hardware version: Board 0.5.0 (0x1F:0xC8)
Firmware version: 2.5..

My numbers are identical to yours and my H1 definetly has a better range than my old H688 and is far more responsive than my OEM remotes. I've never had a problem with components not responding with the H1.
post #1200 of 11319 Old 03-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

If I recall, there is a way to backup your settings with a file download from the harmony site. Did it once several years ago when I bought my 880, but really never had any use for it. The procedure was in the FAQ section.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page