Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1261 of 11353 Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received my One today and I have a programming question for you guys. Within my H/T setup I have a Velodyne SMS-1 but I'm not sure on how to program it into the One. Anyone have any ideas on how to program the SMS-1 into a Harmony remote. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 11353 Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Ecost has the One on sale for about $200 (tax??) delivered.
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=40874221
Not many left on their timer sale.

Well decided to pull the trigger on the "ONE" after getting this link. I was going to wait on the RF version, but this price was too good to pass up. By the way when I ordered about an hour ago they had seven in stock they are down to "2" so if you want in now is the time. I have not seen them lower than this price so its a good deal.
post #1263 of 11353 Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrim View Post

Just received my One today and I have a programming question for you guys. Within my H/T setup I have a Velodyne SMS-1 but I'm not sure on how to program it into the One. Anyone have any ideas on how to program the SMS-1 into a Harmony remote. Thanks in advance.

The SMS-1 is in the database.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1264 of 11353 Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Any thoughts......One versus 880? I have read all of the reviews- I am still on the fence- the price difference isn't an issue. If you had to buy a remote- 880 or one?

Sammy 4061- version 1011 Q1 build date. Onkyo 605Acoustech Speakers. SA 8500 HDC-- Toshiba HD-A3
post #1265 of 11353 Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoflyguy View Post

Any thoughts......One versus 880? I have read all of the reviews- I am still on the fence- the price difference isn't an issue. If you had to buy a remote- 880 or one?

I have both. The One wins hands down, IMHO.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1266 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 View Post

1) In devices how many lcd buttons are available for each device?
2) how many buttons on the lcd screen are available under activities?
3) how many icons will the harmony remote hold under favorites before it uses up all the memory?

4) also not remote related but where would i start looking to find out if a piece of equipment i have has discrete on or off?

5) is there any way to back up the remote? say if i have it working the way i want it then decide to play around... is there a way to save my perfect remote so i can just redownload it?
6) how hard is it to delete buttons that dont work?
7) how many times can you make changes before you crash the remote? or is that just a hit and miss meaning sometimes you just get unlucky?

Having just purchased the remote last week and spent much of the last few days doing extensive programming, I can answer some of your questions:

1. Practically unlimited. There are 6 "soft buttons" that show up per page. But you can add pages. Of course there has to be some sort of limit (probably based on memory). But I haven't approached it yet.

My receiver has 17 pages of LCD buttons by default. My projector has 4 pages.

You can move buttons up within a page or to new pages. You can delete buttons and add buttons.

2. The answer for this is the same as devices. For all practical purposes, unlimited. 6 "soft buttons" per screen/page under activity.

The best part about this, is you can add buttons for any device that is part of the activity. So, for example, my activity for "Watch blu-ray" also includes buttons on the LCD screen for controlling my room lights and for checking the display on my receiver (checking audio code being received).

With the Universal remote that came with my Onkyo receiver, I had to change the remote to a different "mode" -- go from controlling blu-ray to controlling the lights. Then from lights to "receiver", and I had to remember where I put everything. As nothing specifically said "lights" or even "blu-ray".

Now its easy as pie. As a button says: Lights Off and another says Lights On. I put a "lights off" and "lights on" button on the first LCD page of each activity. So now, as soon as you enter an activity you have the obvious and easy choice to control the room lighting.

Note that the "soft buttons" are really only needed for those commands that aren't on the hard buttons. And most of what you need is usually covered by the hard buttons. Anything you rarely use, you can just leave under devices.

For instance, I rarely change anything in my projector settings (like color modes). But if I want to check something or change something, I can still do it quickly by going to projector under devices, which instantly makes the menu button on the remote control the menu button for my projector.

3. Don't know -- but probably more than enough. I just have favorite icons for the HD channels I go to most -- about 12.

4. You can do a google search, but you can also just look under "IR commands" once you indicate your devices. You will see the database commands for your devices. I found discrete Ons and Offs for all my devices that didn't technically have them on the remote itself.

5. Don't know.

6. Extremely easy. There is a trash can icon next to each "soft button". If it is a hard button (like menu), you just erase the typing next to the command name. And you can choose another command from the list to go with the menu button.

If the command you want is not in the list, you can easily add it using the "learn" function.

For example, I programmed in a "30 second skip" button from my Comcast DVR remote. This is not a standard button on the Comcast remote -- as you have to actually teach it to the Comcast remote itself. It enables you to zip through commercials when you record something (30 seconds at a time).

I taught it to the Harmony remote (by putting the remotes head to tail) -- which then put a soft button for "30 second skip" under devices for "Comcast DVR". I then added the newly created "30 second skip" command (which now appears in the list of commands) to the "skip forward/chapter forward button" (hard button) on the Harmony remote -- while in the "watch cable TV" activity.

Sounds more complicated than it is -- it was very easy.

7. I make constant changes. Never had a problem.

post #1267 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 AM

I purchased Bias lighting for the back of my Plasma and I would like the Harmony One to control the light on and off as well as the light in my room. My room is set on a dimmer can the Harmony control the dimming or is simply on an off?

What would I need electrically speaking to do this?

Thanks,
post #1268 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2Run View Post

I purchased Bias lighting for the back of my Plasma and I would like the Harmony One to control the light on and off as well as the light in my room. My room is set on a dimmer can the Harmony control the dimming or is simply on an off?

What would I need electrically speaking to do this?

Thanks,

I have Lutron Maestro dimmers. It controls them beautifully.

It already had them in the database and had buttons for:

1. all off

2. all on

3. scene 1 (a pre-set level that you control)

4. Brighten (dim up)

5. Dim down (dimmer down)

If you keep your finger on the LCD button for either dim up or dim down, it operates just like a dimmer.

If your model number of lights is not in the database, but they are controlled via an infra red (IR) remote -- you can always have the Harmony One learn the commands from your lighting remote.

Make sure to get the model number of your lights to enter under devices.

post #1269 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 AM

[quote=cadbury8;13406473]
5) is there any way to back up the remote? say if i have it working the way i want it then decide to play around... is there a way to save my perfect remote so i can just redownload it? [/QOUTE]

I would also like to know this. Made a change the other day that made me have to pretty much rebuild an activity from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

If the command you want is not in the list, you can easily add it using the "learn" function.

For example, I programmed in a "30 second skip" button from my Comcast DVR remote. This is not a standard button on the Comcast remote -- as you have to actually teach it to the Comcast remote itself. It enables you to zip through commercials when you record something (30 seconds at a time).

I taught it to the Harmony remote (by putting the remotes head to tail) -- which then put a soft button for "30 second skip" under devices for "Comcast DVR". I then added the newly created "30 second skip" command (which now appears in the list of commands) to the "skip forward/chapter forward button" (hard button) on the Harmony remote -- while in the "watch cable TV" activity.

How did you program in the 30-sec skip? I've been trying to locate a skip forward command for my Comcast HD-DVR remote. Could never find one.
post #1270 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I have Lutron Maestro dimmers. It controls them beautifully.

It already had them in the database and had buttons for:

1. all off

2. all on

3. scene 1 (a pre-set level that you control)

4. Brighten (dim up)

5. Dim down (dimmer down)

If you keep your finger on the LCD button for either dim up or dim down, it operates just like a dimmer.

If your model number of lights is not in the database, but they are controlled via an infra red (IR) remote -- you can always have the Harmony One learn the commands from your lighting remote.

Make sure to get the model number of your lights to enter under devices.

Thanks I am going to oder it today.
post #1271 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattor View Post

How did you program in the 30-sec skip? I've been trying to locate a skip forward command for my Comcast HD-DVR remote. Could never find one.

Rattor,

Check this out.

How to use a Motorola DVR/Programming the Remote

Its under section 1.2.

Theres a couple of other functions that are not on the Comcast remote, but you can program them to it and have the Harmony learn the command. Map the new function to a button you dont normally use on the Comcast remote and then learn it. Its pretty simple and doesnt take all that long. I did it for maybe 3 commands that were not on the original remote.
post #1272 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cause the networks and Comcast like to keep it a secret. Its great -- cause even when I want to watch something pretty much live -- I just record it and wait about 20 minutes after the start time. Then I start watching the recording and skip the commercials with the 30 second skip -- about 8 press or 4 minutes for most commercial blocks (its also great for skipping the huddle during football games -- if you record them).

You must teach it to your Comcast remote, then teach it to the Harmony from the Comcast remote.

Here are the instructions for teaching it to your comcast remote:

1) Press the Cable button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the Setup button until the Cable button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The Cable button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the Setup button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip)
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip

post #1273 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhornet View Post

Rattor,

Check this out.

How to use a Motorola DVR/Programming the Remote

Its under section 1.2.

Theres a couple of other functions that are not on the Comcast remote, but you can program them to it and have the Harmony learn the command. Map the new function to a button you dont normally use on the Comcast remote and then learn it. Its pretty simple and doesnt take all that long. I did it for maybe 3 commands that were not on the original remote.

Quote:

Cause the networks and Comcast like to keep it a secret. Its great -- cause even when I want to watch something pretty much live -- I just record it and wait about 20 minutes after the start time. Then I start watching the recording and skip the commercials with the 30 second skip -- about 8 press or 4 minutes for most commercial blocks (its also great for skipping the huddle during football games -- if you record them).

You must teach it to your Comcast remote, then teach it to the Harmony from the Comcast remote.

Here are the instructions for teaching it to your comcast remote:

1) Press the Cable button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the Setup button until the Cable button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The Cable button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the Setup button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip)
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip

Wait...I have a Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR/STB. Does this 30-sec skip only work on the Motorola Cable Box?
post #1274 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3) how many icons will the harmony remote hold under favorites before it uses up all the memory?

I'll take this one. I have 7 Activities mostly full of squareeyes' icons and I tried to make an 8th. Hit the wall. It's touch and go for an actual number as it is most likely a RAM issue and it depends on the size of the icons. This will give you a good rough estimate. Almost but not all of them have the full 24.

post #1275 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure and have you checked if the Harmony already has these commands in its database? Look in the device command list. I found it already there when I had a Moto DVR with TWC. Look for "advance" "replay" "skip" "jump" or just try mysterious commands listed and see what they do. You're not the first so most likely it's there.

post #1276 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so your talking around 7 (activities) x 24 (total icons for each activity) ? thats like around a total of 168 icons. way more than enough for me.

I built Activities such as News & Info, Movies, Sports just to use more icons! I'm an Icon Whore, I admit it!

post #1277 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Are you sure and have you checked if the Harmony already has these commands in its database? Look in the device command list. I found it already there when I had a Moto DVR with TWC. Look for "advance" "replay" "skip" "jump" or just try mysterious commands listed and see what they do. You're not the first so most likely it's there.

Thanks, but I guess the skip is only for Motorola boxes. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC, and I don't see any skip button in the device list.
post #1278 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I built Activities such as News & Info, Movies, Sports just to use more icons! I'm an Icon Whore, I admit it!

I like that idea. I am going to look to do that as well.
post #1279 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait...I have a Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR/STB. Does this 30-sec skip only work on the Motorola Cable Box?

Hmm -- you may be out of luck. A quick google search didn't find it for your box.

post #1280 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I saw were TV channel Icons on square eyes site. I downloaded the zip.

Where are there icons for activities? Is there a link?

post #1281 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I saw were TV channel Icons on square eyes site. I downloaded the zip.

Where are there icons for activities? Is there a link?

What I meant was in the Activities. The Favorites list. We keep harping at Harmony in their forums to open up those icons. Maybe soon???

post #1282 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks, but I guess the skip is only for Motorola boxes. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC, and I don't see any skip button in the device list.

Sorry, must have missed that part about you having a SA box. The SA web site has this posted,

"Can I automatically "skip ahead" 30 seconds through commercials?
No, AllTouch AT-8400 and 8500 series remote controls do not have a 30-second skip ahead button. However, you can fast forward and rewind at three different speeds -- 4x, 10x and 32x. You can also skip back 8 seconds using the key to the left of the green LIST key for instant replays. "

Unfortunately you maybe out of luck, unless you can get a MOTO box.
post #1283 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Hmm -- you may be out of luck. A quick google search didn't find it for your box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhornet View Post

Sorry, must have missed that part about you having a SA box. The SA web site has this posted,

"Can I automatically "skip ahead" 30 seconds through commercials?
No, AllTouch AT-8400 and 8500 series remote controls do not have a 30-second skip ahead button. However, you can fast forward and rewind at three different speeds -- 4x, 10x and 32x. You can also skip back 8 seconds using the key to the left of the green LIST key for instant replays. "

Unfortunately you maybe out of luck, unless you can get a MOTO box.

Ah well...thanks anyways guys, and I appreciate the quick responses

I guess I shall be stuck being mentally bombarded at 32x speed to buy stuff I don't need and medication for conditions I don't have.
post #1284 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM

I've been searching for a while, but can't find a recommended delay time for using the H1 to power on a Xbox 360. A lot of times it won't turn on/off so I figure a delay would help, if any one has their's set at a certain delay time let me know. Thanks in advance!
post #1285 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Caesar1 nice theatre setup. Cheers!
post #1286 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGunz82 View Post

Caesar1 nice theatre setup. Cheers!

Thanks. I like it even more now that all of it is controlled via the Harmony One.

Great remote!

post #1287 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 PM

Long time lurker here, have a question that I could not find with search...

My 12yr old JVC reciever was just replaced buy an Onkyo 805 On the JVC, I had the Harmony turn my Sub up and down with the hard button (between the menu and info) with no trouble. On the 805, you have to hit "channel select" 3 times to get to sub and then level up and down. I tried this with a sequence and it works but every time you push it, it goes through all those steps. So is there a way to get around this and go straight to the sub level?

BTW, I've had my One for a month now and am very happy with it and thankful for all the great info I have gathered from this thread and site.
post #1288 of 11353 Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoflyguy View Post

I have purchased both in the past two weeks. I first got the 880 early last week cheap from Amazon, then caught the ecost deal on the One a few days later.

After setting them both up in my living room the past few days, IMHO, the One is superior in every conceivable way to the 880. It has a (much) better screen, better backlighting, better ergonomics (much better actually), it has the touch screen vs. the tiny buttons, etc. It just looks and feels like a much nicer piece of equipment. The 880 feels kind of awkward sometimes using it one handed, and so far the One does not. Also, I think the design of the battery well on the One will certainly preclude the battery problems the early 880's had.

But, then again, the One cost me almost exactly $100 more than the 880. I have to say, if you have the money, get the One.

If you don't, don't feel too bad, as the 880 is a perfectly serviceable piece of equipment. My 880 is going in the master bedroom. It'll be perfect for that.
post #1289 of 11353 Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister9150 View Post

Long time lurker here, have a question that I could not find with search...

My 12yr old JVC reciever was just replaced buy an Onkyo 805 On the JVC, I had the Harmony turn my Sub up and down with the hard button (between the menu and info) with no trouble. On the 805, you have to hit "channel select" 3 times to get to sub and then level up and down. I tried this with a sequence and it works but every time you push it, it goes through all those steps. So is there a way to get around this and go straight to the sub level?

BTW, I've had my One for a month now and am very happy with it and thankful for all the great info I have gathered from this thread and site.

I have the 805 too.

I looked at the commands in the database -- and did not see a discrete sub volume up/down. I did see center volume up and volume down and fronts volume up/down.

post #1290 of 11353 Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:

I have the 805 too.

I looked at the commands in the database -- and did not see a discrete sub volume up/down. I did see center volume up and volume down and fronts volume up/down.

You would think the 805 would have this but I guess my 12yr old JVC was light years ahead of its time
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page