Official Logitech Harmony One thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last
Remote Control Area > Official Logitech Harmony One thread
stash64's Avatar stash64 12:35 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Enjoy your MX and thanks for visiting. The Harmony is activity based, not macro based. When you understand that, or if you tried, it would have been easier. Obviously you have MX (HTM) programming down pat. It's not going to be easy for you to change. Thanks for the fish.

BTW the TV turning off during an activity says everything. You got it wrong.

Activity based vs. macro based is just semantics. It is really no different. In both cases, it is setting up a series of commands to put your components in the proper mode for an activity. The difference is simply how it is done. I've already spent 5-6 frustrating hours working with the software, so I certainly have tried. I have a pretty good understanding of how it works and I know what I need to do, but the software provides no means (or at least no simple means) to do it.

I suspected that the "watch DVD" activity I created was going to shut off my TV. I tested it and it did turn off the TV. I went back to the software and found no means to change this part of the activity, and Logitech could not offer a solution either. So how is it that I got it wrong ? Shouldn't the software ask you if your TV is already on, or at least provide a relatively simple means of modifying the activity so that it doesn't toggle power to the TV or any other component that needs to be on and is already on ?

I think the fact that the software has a Laserdisc activity but no BluRay activity says a lot about how dated it is.

stash64's Avatar stash64 12:56 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketmanNY View Post

It would be great to have complete and direct control of the macros and command sequences, and I agree that the software could use a bunch of tweaks, but all in all, the experience has been pretty good. It just takes time to figure out where everything is (the lack of a clear users manual is a bit of an issue). Also, this and the other forums at Remote Central and Logitech are filled with support and help if you are willing to work your way through everything.

Basically, the H1 may not be the 'be all to end all' but I think it is one of the better remotes at this price point out there. No remote is perfect and they all have their positives and negatives. I believe that Logitech is quite supportive of the user group and that software upgrades are on the way.

Thank you for that explanation. It helped put things in perspective for me. I really expected the ability to program with the PC and Logitech software was going to make set-up of devices and macros/activities a whole lot easier than the tried and true manual process. I guess I simply had "false" expectations. Still, I do think there is a lot that Logitech could do with their software to simplify the whole process and make it a lot easier for their customers. I had a concept and expectation of how the software would work and it fell way short of that. Just simple Windows functionality like drag/drop or a right click menu would go a long way.

I think perhaps I will give it another day or two before I decide to return or keep the remote. The suggestions offered by others here may help. Such as finding the discrete code for turning on or off power, rather than just toggling power. Again, I did not expect that I would need to spend time on such things as searching out codes for certain functions. It seems I may need to go through all 16 pages of functions for my TV just to determine what each does, if anything. I thought the software would have the codes that are truly specific to my devices.

One question... When you rebuilt the pages of commands, did you find a way to delete blank pages ? As I mentioned, I now have 15 blank pages for my TV and I do not see any means to get rid of them.
stash64's Avatar stash64 01:14 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattor View Post

Here's what I think is your problem: from this line, it seems like your TV is on before you press any activity button on the Harmony. The remote doesn't know that your TV is on unless you use the Harmony to turn it on via an activity, and it seems like the Harmony software is using a power toggle command. If you can get it to use discrete on-off commands, you should have no issue at all.

Thanks... that makes sense. The remote is definitely sending a power toggle rather than a discrete on command. I think I will go back to Logitech support and ask them specifically if and how a discrete "on" command can be added to this activity. There was an advanced set-up question that asked if my original remote had a single power button or an "on" and "off" button. I gave the correct answer which was a single power button, but I think I may need to go back and give the wrong answer to fool the remote into sending the discrete power "on" command ?

When a device is first set-up with the software, does Logitech provide a number of discrete commands that are not necessarily available on the original remote ? And if so, are these discrete commands hard wired and not erased even if I go back and delete commands on the device command pages ? I ask the question because I really don't want to have 16 pages of commands (for my Sony tv for instance) but I can see where some of these commands (if functional) may be needed for activity programming.
stash64's Avatar stash64 01:21 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve View Post

I have an MX-950 and I have my H1 set up almost exactly like my MX-950. The MX-950 works a bit more seamlessly with my components but nothing I would notice on the H1 if I never had an MX-950 to begin with.

For your power problem, you need to check your power settings, there might be discrete codes for your tv and it seems that the H1 is firing of the toggle power command which is turning off your tv. Did Logitech support suggest this?

I'm not on the computer that I use to program my remote but I find it hard to believe you can't delete pages? I'll check tomorrow when I'm on that computer. If not, the only way would be to "move" them up.

For $250, this remote is an excellent value when compared to the $600+ that the MX-950 cost 3 years ago when it first came out.

Before you give up, ask here, there are a lot of people with Harmony remotes that might have a solution to your problem.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Please do let me know if you find a way to delete pages. Given that I have added about 15 commands and I need to move each up 90 rows, that will be a very tedious 1350 mouse clicks plus some up scrolling every so often. Not what I really want to do this weekend.
tvmack's Avatar tvmack 04:42 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmack View Post

hmm found it and applied the settings, but channels dont seems to be inputing any faster in the TV. You know how when you put in a number and hit "enter" on your factory remote it goes right to the channel without having to wait on the TV? I was hoping it would do the same thing, but still seems like its "waiting" on the TV to go to the channel.

It did ask how does the remote know when you have finished entering a number I just left that blank should I change that setting?

Any suggestions?

Wanted to bump this back up today and see if anyone had an idea.

Is there a way to set the Harmony up so after entering the channel number it acts just like hitting "enter" on your factory remote and goes right to the channel instead of waiting on the TV? (I have already set it to ""enter" after inputing number" but that didnt seem to change anything.)
squareeyes's Avatar squareeyes 05:10 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmack View Post

Wanted to bump this back up today and see if anyone had an idea.

Is there a way to set the Harmony up so after entering the channel number it acts just like hitting "enter" on your factory remote and goes right to the channel instead of waiting on the TV? (I have already set it to ""enter" after inputing number" but that didnt seem to change anything.)

tvmack,

There is a place where you can specify that number selections end with 'enter'. It looks like you found that screen in the software and you have selected that option.

If you are hitting enter after the number and the tuner is still waiting, then I would double check the IR command mapped to that button. I noticed on my SA 8300 HD box that the Harmony database command for 'enter' was incorrect and I had to learn the command from the original remote.

Also, a side note. An industrious forum member- I don't remember who- actually timed the difference between using the 'favorites' by entering the channel number+enter vs. leading with 0(s) before the channel number. The winner was leading with 0(s). Using that method and reducing the number of repeats has made my channel changing lightning fast.
I hope that answers your question.
,R
caesar1's Avatar caesar1 06:40 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I just purchased the Harmony One after reading various reviews, including Cnet. In fact, I don't recall ever reading a negative review on a Harmony remote... so perhaps mine is the first. I HATE this remote and I plan to return it and eventually pick up a Home Theater Master MX-850.

I have been using an MX-500 for more than 5 years now and I thought it would be nice to get a universal remote that could be PC programmed rather than just manual programming. Was I wrong !!! The Harmony software is atrocious. The interface is dated and looks like something I would have used 10-15 years ago. I have yet to get a single device set up similar to what I have with my MX-500 and none of the activities work properly. Now, I would not be too upset about this if it was easy to go back into the Harmony software and customize/fix the devices and activities... but it is not.

As a for instance, the "activity" I set up to watch a DVD sets my TV (Sony A3000) to the correct HDMI2 input but it first powers the TV "on". Well, I always have the TV on prior to watching a movie. As a result, pressing this activity button turns my TV "off". When I try to customize the activity, it is not possible to change this action. Some actions can be removed, but not the first two actions which include turning the TV on and setting the input to HDMI2. I contacted Logitech and they had no solution for me.

Another example of the poor software/programming is the device set-up for my Sony A3000 television. The programming is obviously "generic" to cover many different Sony televisions. The TV device has 16 pages of commands on the remote. There is a page or more of PIP commands, but my TV does NOT even have PIP. Out of the 16 pages of commands, I don't think there are even a dozen commands that actually function with my TV. The most critical commands and the ones I use the most (such as "options" and "input") do not exist on the 16 pages. After customizing and trying to delete all the non-functional commands and adding/learning new commands, I find that all the new commands are placed on pages 16, 17, and 18. There is no way (that I can see) to delete the first 15 pages so that all my new commands are on the first three pages. In order to move the new commands to the first three pages, I need to click little arrows and move one step at a time. To cover 15 pages, that is 90 arrow clicks for each new command I added. No drag and drop ??? This would probably take an hour or two of tedious arrow clicking to move three pages of commands when I should just be able to delete each of the 15 blank pages with a single click.

It boggles me that I have never read a similar review to mine. I am not a novice computer user, nor am I a novice to universal remotes. So what am I missing here ??? Why are so many happy with their Harmony remotes ??? Personally, I would much rather continue with manual programming of my MX-500 than spend another hour trying to get the Harmony software to do what I want it to do.

Couple of things you should be aware of.

You are not using the remote as intended. You should rarely if ever use the device commands. If there is something you need to use, put it on the activity (or activities) related to that device. That way you don't scroll through pages of device commands. You can add any command you need to an easily accessible location (either soft or hard button) on a related activity.

The device commands are there to test functionality and for occassionally accessing rarely used commands.

Also, once the commands are learned/added to the Harmony database/remote, you could delete it from the last device page and manually add it to the first page. (after making room on the first page by deleting another command).

You don't need to use the arrows to move it up 15 pages. Just type it in, and pick it from the drop down list. Once the remote learns the command, its on the drop down list. So don't move it, just add it manually to the first page.

As far as your power on/off issue -- there is likely a discrete "on" command. Use the discrete "on" -- not the power toggle, for your movie activity. A discrete "on" will not do anything if the TV is already on.

I think your unhappiness is simply due to not understanding how the software is supposed to be used.
Gary J's Avatar Gary J 06:41 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:

When a device is first set-up with the software, does Logitech provide a number of discrete commands that are not necessarily available on the original remote ? And if so, are these discrete commands hard wired and not erased even if I go back and delete commands on the device command pages ? I ask the question because I really don't want to have 16 pages of commands (for my Sony tv for instance) but I can see where some of these commands (if functional) may be needed for activity programming.

You would know the answers to these questions and you would know there is an option to leave a device on when changing Activities if you had taken some time to learn a little about the software first. You are probably best off deleting a device like the Sony, re-adding it and getting everything working. Move commands to the top and all re-arranging is best left as the last thing to do and why delete commands at all? With an Activity based remote device command pages are rarely accessed. And any such device command you do use can easily be added to the Activity touch screen.
caesar1's Avatar caesar1 06:48 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradandbree View Post

Hi Joe,
Any comments or suggestions on Sean's issue with clicking the "up" or "down" arrows dozens of times? I've noticed this too, and although it's far from a deal-breaker, it is tedious.

Yes. Once a command is learned, you don't need to move it up from the bottom of the list manually.

Just type it in on the first page (after clearing space -- by deleting a command you don't use -- or one you will add manually to the last page).

Once a command is learned, its in the drop down list. So make a blank space on the first page, type the label you want for the soft button, then choose from the drop down list. Bam. Your command is on the first page.

The one you deleted can be re-added to the last page if you want it still.

That being said, when you move something from the bottom of the first page it shouldn't move the first one up from the second page -- it should move the entire list down one -- bump everything down on all pages.
ccapozzoli's Avatar ccapozzoli 06:57 AM 03-22-2008
I have been using Harmony ever since the first generation model that came out. Want to talk about ugly software, however it did do its job. I just set up a H1 for a friend of mine and with the existing components they had, I was able to set up the activilites within an hour and have everything running smooth.

I have not drilled into additional customizing of the H1 yet, but for the ones that are using it, its a HUGE step from what they were doing. They basically gave up of watching DVD's, etc because they did not know how to turn anything on and off.

The previous guy who installed all the gear was a butcher, so at least I got them back to using there toys!!
120inna55's Avatar 120inna55 07:07 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapozzoli View Post

...Want to talk about ugly software, however it did do its job...

I've seen a couple references to the software being inept or ugly. Are you guys referring to the "web-based software" (http://www.members.harmonyremote.com) or the installed interface on your PC?

I agree the web-based software seems dated, but I assume it's that way to accommodate different browsers and versions of Windows. The PC based software, in my opinion, is actually pretty nice. I don't understand what the complaint is?
SaltiDawg's Avatar SaltiDawg 07:28 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

BTW the TV turning off during an activity says everything. You got it wrong.

Exactly!
SaltiDawg's Avatar SaltiDawg 07:33 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:

... Shouldn't the software ask you if your TV is already on, or at least provide a relatively simple means of modifying the activity so that it doesn't toggle power to the TV or any other component that needs to be on and is already on ? ...

It does. For example it knows my DVR is on and will always be on. The remote never turns it off or on and you had the same option with the TV.
jlschmidt's Avatar jlschmidt 08:27 AM 03-22-2008
I was going to order the One from ecost, but I am curious if Logitech honors the warranty if purchased from ecost. From the terms and conditions it seems like they will, but I am unsure. Ecost isn't listed as an online vendor on Logitech's website. Several people have ordered from them already & have received their's, but I just want to make sure I don't end up with a used product or a product with a voided warranty. Also, I wonder why they have the One at two different prices & show different mfg part #s? Sorry, I don't have enough posts to include the links.
Gary J's Avatar Gary J 08:28 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg View Post

It does. For example it knows my DVR is on and will always be on. The remote never turns it off or on and you had the same option with the TV.

"Option" being the key word. Again, it's a matter of taking a little time to learn the software.

BTW, I probably have a device with "16 pages" of commands too. I could not care less. Add any commands you may need from them to the Activity hard buttons or screen Commands and you never need anything from those pages or care where the commands are on them. No need to go moving them all around on those pages.
ccapozzoli's Avatar ccapozzoli 08:41 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlschmidt View Post

I was going to order the One from ecost, but I am curious if Logitech honors the warranty if purchased from ecost. From the terms and conditions it seems like they will, but I am unsure. Ecost isn't listed as an online vendor on Logitech's website. Several people have ordered from them already & have received their's, but I just want to make sure I don't end up with a used product or a product with a voided warranty. Also, I wonder why they have the One at two different prices & show different mfg part #s? Sorry, I don't have enough posts to include the links.

I have ordered $1,000 plus video scaler form them, along with other equipment over the years and everything has been fine with the purchases. One thing I do not like about them is the Handling fee they put in the deal. Thats a cheap way of getting more money for a product they are listing less than anyone else.

Still the overall cost is still less than other website. You should be fine purchasing from them
jlschmidt's Avatar jlschmidt 09:18 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:

I have ordered $1,000 plus video scaler form them, along with other equipment over the years and everything has been fine with the purchases. One thing I do not like about them is the Handling fee they put in the deal. Thats a cheap way of getting more money for a product they are listing less than anyone else.

Still the overall cost is still less than other website. You should be fine purchasing from them

Thanks, that put my mind at ease. I just ordered it. Now I should probably buy a TV to control.
horizuns's Avatar horizuns 09:28 AM 03-22-2008
Is there any way to get hard copy printouts of the button assignments (hard & soft) for activities & devices? This would be a big help in customizing the H1 as
all the editing could be done offline on paper then online for the update.

Screen prints are very limited & time consuming & manually copying the
assignments to a spreadsheet is error prone & laborious.
Villanman's Avatar Villanman 09:43 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:

How do you do that? Its a panasonic Plasma and you have to get into the menu to shut them off. Did you create a macro? Can the Harmony do Macro's like that?

Can you briefly outlay the procedures on how I can accomplish that? Thanks

When you set up the activity, at the end they ask you if the activity is set up correctly, Choose the option that yes it is set up correctly but you want more control. Then it will briefly run through what you already set up again. You will eventually come to a screen where it shows your devices "start action" and "Leave action". There I "Add action for" my television to "Send Speaker toggle command" to the TV on both the Start and Leave actions. The 'speaker toggle"command was already in the Harmony softwares list of command choices for my particular TV.
stash64's Avatar stash64 11:01 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

The device commands are there to test functionality and for occassionally accessing rarely used commands.

Also, once the commands are learned/added to the Harmony database/remote, you could delete it from the last device page and manually add it to the first page. (after making room on the first page by deleting another command).

You don't need to use the arrows to move it up 15 pages. Just type it in, and pick it from the drop down list. Once the remote learns the command, its on the drop down list. So don't move it, just add it manually to the first page.

As far as your power on/off issue -- there is likely a discrete "on" command. Use the discrete "on" -- not the power toggle, for your movie activity. A discrete "on" will not do anything if the TV is already on.

I think your unhappiness is simply due to not understanding how the software is supposed to be used.

Thank you... I think these tips will help a bunch. But I also still think the software could be much more user friendly and modern.

As for the device commands, I do still need the TV (at the very least) to be set up correctly because I run my own calibrations and need to access almost every part of the user menu. That is not something I would want to try to do with activities.
stash64's Avatar stash64 11:08 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg View Post

So where is this option in the software ? Logitech wasn't able to tell me. I do recall seeing something in the software asking if a device is always "on", but none of my components are always on... that would be wasteful. It just happens that my TV is normally turned on an hour or two before watching a movie. Perhaps the software considers "always on" as being on prior to hitting an activity button ?
caesar1's Avatar caesar1 11:16 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:

As for the device commands, I do still need the TV (at the very least) to be set up correctly because I run my own calibrations and need to access almost every part of the user menu. That is not something I would want to try to do with activities.

Agreed -- but dont' forget that usually all you need for most devices is the "menu", the up/down; left/right and/or setup commands to work for any device to get to all of the possible screens. And that will then take you to every thing you could possibly need for calibration or whatever on any device.

So even if many of the individual buttons under devices for your TV aren't in a good place or don't apply to your TV -- as long as menu and the movement keys are mapped to the menu and arrow hard buttons or setup is mapped to something (or an LCD button) -- that's generally enough for the times you need to dig deep into screens on most devices.

For instance, on my projector, to get to all the color modes, contrast, brightness, skin tone (you name it for calibration), all I really need is menu and movement keys. So as soon as I hit devices and then choose projector, the menu button (hard button) on the Harmony works to bring up my projector menu. From there I can go anywhere in the projector's many screens and sub-screens that I want, just using the movement keys.

While it may be quicker if there was a single button mapped to color modes or contrast, etc. -- when you are calibrating or doing similar stuff like that -- super fast access to each sub menu, isn't necessariliy a big issue.

So what the LCD buttons say for my projector device (under devices) doesn't really matter at that point.
caesar1's Avatar caesar1 11:22 AM 03-22-2008
Quote:

So where is this option in the software ? Logitech wasn't able to tell me. I do recall seeing something in the software asking if a device is always "on", but none of my components are always on... that would be wasteful. It just happens that my TV is normally turned on an hour or two before watching a movie. Perhaps the software considers "always on" as being on prior to hitting an activity button ?

DVR's are usually left on. Its under adjust power settings for each device. But for your TV -- tell it (under settings for your TV device, "adjust power settings") that you have separate buttons for power on and power off on the remote (even if you really don't). Then say you don't have the original remote, but you know the commands. Then look for "power on" and "power off" in the list of commands. If it only has "power toggle" -- then you don't have that choice unfortunately.

But discrete power on and power off is always better than "power toggle" and will fix your issue.

If your TV is turned on by an activity, then you use another activity when watching a movie, it should NOT power toggle, even if that is your only choice. The remote would know you already turned it on via the earlier activity.

So make sure you do not turn on the TV manually.
monksy74's Avatar monksy74 12:05 PM 03-22-2008
Quote:

Can't quite understand why you need this.

You say your TV is on for a couple of hours before watching a DVD. How are you switching the TV on? You should have a watch TV activity setup which would have switched the TV on for you and the remote would then know it's on.

The whole point of the harmony remotes is that you set up an activity for everything you do and then the remote can handle the state of all devices used in each activity.

When you start all devices will be off. You choose the activity you want to do (E.g. watch TV) and this will switch the TV on and make sure it's on the right input for watching TV. All the buttons will then be mapped for watching TV. You then want to watch a DVD so you press the Watch DVD activity and the remote will change the input to the right one and power on the DVD player, all buttons are now mapped for watching a DVD. Pressing the power button will then power off all devices in the current activity when you are done.

If you come to it and want to watch a DVD without watching TV first, press the Watch DVD activity and it knows to power on the TV first, then switches to the right input, then powers on the DVD.

It sounds like you are controlling your TV by using the TV device and then using the watch DVD activity like you would a macro on your old remote.

You need to either make everything an activity in which case the H1 will work brilliantly (you just need to get into the activity way of thinking). Or completely ignore activities and just use devices switching between them when you need to. This would be missing out on the main reason most others buy and love harmony remotes.

Mixing using devices and activities will only lead to the problems you are having.

If you want to post what devices you have I'm sure others will help suggesting the activities and settings that will get the best out of this remote.

Phil
SaltiDawg's Avatar SaltiDawg 12:15 PM 03-22-2008
Quote:

...Perhaps the software considers "always on" as being on prior to hitting an activity button ?

Ya think?
tvmack's Avatar tvmack 01:38 PM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

tvmack,

There is a place where you can specify that number selections end with 'enter'. It looks like you found that screen in the software and you have selected that option.

If you are hitting enter after the number and the tuner is still waiting, then I would double check the IR command mapped to that button. I noticed on my SA 8300 HD box that the Harmony database command for 'enter' was incorrect and I had to learn the command from the original remote.

Also, a side note. An industrious forum member- I don't remember who- actually timed the difference between using the 'favorites' by entering the channel number+enter vs. leading with 0(s) before the channel number. The winner was leading with 0(s). Using that method and reducing the number of repeats has made my channel changing lightning fast.
I hope that answers your question.
,R

Thanks for the info.

I thought when I slected "enter" after channel numbers in the software the harmony would autiomatically "enter" that command for me so it could go to the channels quicker? One item I did leave blank in the software is how the remote recognizes the number has been entered maybe that is the problem. What should I have that option set to?
tripleM's Avatar tripleM 03:27 PM 03-22-2008
Question: my 'Watch HDDVD' activity
1) Ejects the disc tray to turn on the HD DVD player(HDP)
2) Turns on the TV & AVR.
3) Once I finish playing the movie, the activity keeps the HDP on as instructed - awaits my manual power off. Which usually occurs in the 'Device' menu & using 1 of the power buttons (toggle or discrete off) for the HDP.

Having only done this once, I noticed that next time I used this activity, I had to use the 'Help' button to wake up the HDP.

Should this be happening?
caesar1's Avatar caesar1 04:23 PM 03-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Question: my 'Watch HDDVD' activity
1) Ejects the disc tray to turn on the HD DVD player(HDP)
2) Turns on the TV & AVR.
3) Once I finish playing the movie, the activity keeps the HDP on as instructed - awaits my manual power off. Which usually occurs in the 'Device' menu & using 1 of the power buttons (toggle or discrete off) for the HDP.

Having only done this once, I noticed that next time I used this activity, I had to use the 'Help' button to wake up the HDP.

Should this be happening?

You shouldn't use the power off buttons in device mode as the standard method to power off the HDP. If you want everything (including your display) off that you started via an activity, just use the off button on the upper left of the remote. If you don't want to shut down everything, but want to go to another activity and just shut off the HDP -- set the other activities to turn off un-used devices.

Or you can also issue a discrete power off command to the HDP when leaving that activity.

You could also issue a discrete power on to the HDP AND also the eject button, when you start the activity.

Lots of ways around this, but the primary lesson is do not power on or off in device mode. Use either activities or the off button on the Harmony.

Now sometimes I do power off in device mode or manually, as I forgot to eject the DVD after shutting everything down. But my activities all have discrete On commands. So no matter what, when I start an activity, it sends an On command. So the device will always start whether I power toggled off manually or in device mode.

Discrete Off and On is your friend.
tripleM's Avatar tripleM 05:19 PM 03-22-2008
Quote:

You shouldn't use the power off buttons in device mode as the standard method to power off the HDP. If you want everything (including your display) off that you started via an activity, just use the off button on the upper left of the remote. If you don't want to shut down everything, but want to go to another activity and just shut off the HDP -- set the other activities to turn off un-used devices.

Agreed.

Quote:

Or you can also issue a discrete power off command to the HDP when leaving that activity.

Not sure I understand here. My purpose for leaving the HDP on in the first place is to eject the disc & possibly watch another disc AFTER i flip to ESPN to get some scores.

If I had flip to another activity, it seems that it would turn off un-used devices such as the HDP.

Quote:

Now sometimes I do power off in device mode or manually, as I forgot to eject the DVD after shutting everything down. But my activities all have discrete On commands. So no matter what, when I start an activity, it sends an On command. So the device will always start whether I power toggled off manually or in device mode.

Not sure what you mean here in relation to my example. But at the end of the day, how would you stop things from prematurely shutting off when flipping to different activities? & ENSURING that they act normally upon powering up in the next session?
stash64's Avatar stash64 06:40 PM 03-22-2008
Quote:

DVR's are usually left on. Its under adjust power settings for each device. But for your TV -- tell it (under settings for your TV device, "adjust power settings") that you have separate buttons for power on and power off on the remote (even if you really don't). Then say you don't have the original remote, but you know the commands. Then look for "power on" and "power off" in the list of commands. If it only has "power toggle" -- then you don't have that choice unfortunately.

But discrete power on and power off is always better than "power toggle" and will fix your issue.

If your TV is turned on by an activity, then you use another activity when watching a movie, it should NOT power toggle, even if that is your only choice. The remote would know you already turned it on via the earlier activity.

So make sure you do not turn on the TV manually.

Thank you, thank you !!! You answered the exact questions I was coming back to ask, even down to your explanation of the remote knowing current status based on recent activities used.

As for the power commands, I suspected I might have to lie to the software. And fortunately I discovered that discrete commands for "power on" and "power off" are available as additional buttons. I've got it set up correctly now and I will give the "watch DVD" activity another shot tonight, with fingers crossed. Given that I have a lamp powered rear projection TV, it is not a good thing to be experimenting if the TV gets shut down and has to be powered on repeatedly until the activity gets sorted out.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. I probably should not have gotten so upset with the software. I was tired and have had some bad luck with electronics recently.

Not to belabor the point, but I still think the software could be vastly improved. I hit another point of frustration after spending an hour setting up the device buttons for my TV. I hit DONE after I got all the new commands added on the first three pages and the rest of the default commands moved to the following pages. The software said my log in had timed out. After logging back in I discovered all my work was gone. Why would Logitech force us to hit DONE every 5 minutes when setting up the software ? If it is a matter of being connected to their server and limited server resources, why can't the adjustments be saved locally and then only access the server when saving ? This just slows down the whole process and makes me feel like I need to have a timer sitting next to me when working the software.

Has anyone on this forum ever started a software improvement or wish list thread that could be forwarded to Logitech ? I've used the software for only a day and a half, and I think I could come up with a dozen improvements. I think Logitech might pay attention if they saw these suggestions were coming from an AVS forum.
Tags: Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop