post #1441 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

I could swear they asked for the actual UPC. I have the docs photocopied at home. If I goofed that then I truly suck.
,R

Randy, no I guarantee it was just a photocopy of the UPC code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

The device looks for a certain number of repeats to confirm that it is being issued a command. This varies by device model and brand, but can even be different between 2 devices of the same model. You are looking for the minimum number that will still control the device. In my case, the DVR quit responding when repeats where set to 0, but works fine at 1.

So, just to clarify -- if I have interkey delay set to 0 and inter device delay set to 0 AND I have repeats set to 0, and the device still is able to be controlled by the Harmony remote -- there is no setting that will make it any faster? That's the best you can hope for?

I noticed that although the volume up/down on my receiver works pretty fast using the Harmony -- it is not quite as fast as the original remote -- if I actually take it out and compare the two. But only I would probably notice the difference (not the average user).

So if my settings are as I indicate, there is no way to have it as fast as the original remote? There isn't some magical combination of repeats and/or delays that might be faster than all set to zero?

What is also confusing is that Harmony's instructions seem to imply that you may get FASTER response by a HIGHER number of repeats (more repeats; not less).

Finally, if repeats at 0 does work for a device, is there ever any reason to still NOT use 0 for that device? In other words, should all devices be tried with 0 as the setting for repeats to ensure fastest response -- and left at 0 if the device actually responds?
post #1443 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Randy, no I guarantee it was just a photocopy of the UPC code.

Salti, yng,
I can truly guarantee that I am lame.
Luckily I have a complete UPC from the exchange unit. Hopefully they will let me resubmit. If not... oh well. One less dinner and a movie. =)
,R

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #1444 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

Salti, yng,
I can truly guarantee that I am lame.
Luckily I have a complete UPC from the exchange unit. Hopefully they will let me resubmit. If not... oh well. One less dinner and a movie. =)
,R

Very disheartening that the company we're all basically singing praises of is playing stinking rebate games. Call the 800 number and give them hell. Then they will say "you're a valuable customer and we'll let this go this time" they ALL do this, too bad Logitech is in this BS too.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1445 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Just setup my One and noticed that it doesn't have a button to turn on the backlighting like my 550. Is there some other "trick" to activate the backlighting?

Jim
post #1446 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM

The backlight is activated by a motion sensor. Just give it a little 'shake' and the backlight should activate.
post #1447 of 11319 Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Just setup my One and noticed that it doesn't have a button to turn on the backlighting like my 550. Is there some other "trick" to activate the backlighting?

Bring it up towards you -- or roll it to one side. Turning it down (pointing it down) will not turn on the light.

There is a little ball inside that activates the light.
post #1448 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 AM

I have a Denon 4802. The delay in the up or down of the volume is sloowwww. I have tried a few times messing with the delays, but nothing.
What would be the best thing to start with first?
Thanks
Jim
post #1449 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthor View Post

I have a Denon 4802. The delay in the up or down of the volume is sloowwww. I have tried a few times messing with the delays, but nothing.
What would be the best thing to start with first?
Thanks
Jim

Try 0 for inter key delay; 0 for inter device delay and also 0 (or 1) for repeats.

Repeats are found under "troubleshooting" for a device -- "it sometimes responds too fast or not consistently to commands".
post #1450 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Very disheartening that the company we're all basically singing praises of is playing stinking rebate games. Call the 800 number and give them hell. Then they will say "you're a valuable customer and we'll let this go this time" they ALL do this, too bad Logitech is in this BS too.

I suspect that it is the rebate company that is playing hardball. I never did get my $30 rebate last year from those crooked SOB's at Intuit. In fact, I could not get a response to any of my letters.
post #1451 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

So, just to clarify -- if I have interkey delay set to 0 and inter device delay set to 0 AND I have repeats set to 0, and the device still is able to be controlled by the Harmony remote -- there is no setting that will make it any faster? That's the best you can hope for?

I noticed that although the volume up/down on my receiver works pretty fast using the Harmony -- it is not quite as fast as the original remote -- if I actually take it out and compare the two. But only I would probably notice the difference (not the average user).

So if my settings are as I indicate, there is no way to have it as fast as the original remote? There isn't some magical combination of repeats and/or delays that might be faster than all set to zero?

What is also confusing is that Harmony's instructions seem to imply that you may get FASTER response by a HIGHER number of repeats (more repeats; not less).

Finally, if repeats at 0 does work for a device, is there ever any reason to still NOT use 0 for that device? In other words, should all devices be tried with 0 as the setting for repeats to ensure fastest response -- and left at 0 if the device actually responds?

This is where repeats gets a little off for me, but I'll try my best to explain.

With everything set to 0, yes that is the fastest the remote will get between key presses. Example: you are trying to scroll thru an on-screen menu or guide -- you press one of the arrow buttons twice to move in a certain direction -- you pressed the key very fast, but the device seems to lag behind -- basically, you have finished pushing the buttons, but when you look up, the moves in the guide/menu are just now catching up.

In this case, setting the delays to zero and using the minimum number of repeats possible will make the remote the fastest it can be. So, in general, you are correct when you say that you should set everything as low as possible.

However, the speed at which the volume moves when holding down the volume button is a little different. This is the situation when the Harmony software is asking you if the device responds to many times or not (repeat settings). In this case, if the repeats are set low, holding down the volume button will cause the volume to rise slowly, and if repeats are set high, the volume will increase too fast. So, if your volume is going up too slow when holding down the volume key, increasing the number of repeats will speed it up at the cost of slowing down the remote in the other situation above.

The way I understand it is that holding down the volume button for 2 seconds is the equivalent of say, oh, 10 individual key presses.
With repeats set at 0, only 10 volume commands where sent during that 2 seconds and the volume increased ten steps.
With repeats set to 1, the original plus 1 repeat = 2 X 10 = 20 volume commands being sent.
repeats = 2, original + 2 repeats per command = 3 X 10 = 30 commands being sent. Now you can see how repeats affect volume speed.

Repeats cause more commands to be sent per key press. This takes time for the remote to do. So if the repeats are set low, the remote is done sending a command quickly and is ready for the next key press. If the repeats are set high, the remote may still be sending out commands when you press the next button; causing a lag between key presses.

So in your case, you can leave the repeats set low and the remote will be fast when pressing multiple keys in a row, but slow on the volume. Or you can raise the repeats to get the volume to move quicker, at the sacrifice of a little lag between key presses. But then again, moving the repeats up by 1, may be a happy medium for you. You'll just have to test it.

That's the way I understand it and I hope I explained it right. If I didn't, I'm sure someone will correct me.
Rob
post #1452 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 AM

My father has the 880 I believe and there is tons of lag with his system. I have the Harmony One and I see virtually no lag time at when doing volume up or down.

Ill have to check my settings but I do not recall changing them when I initially set the activities up.
post #1453 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg View Post

I suspect that it is the rebate company that is playing hardball. I never did get my $30 rebate last year from those crooked SOB's at Intuit. In fact, I could not get a response to any of my letters.

Absolutely the Rebate Co. But in fact, Logitech has their name front and center if they do a rebate and ultimately have to be responsible for who they hire to do their dirty work. If you play with fire prepare to be burned.
If you want your good reputation spoiled by the shenanigans these rebate companies pull, it's your fault. Never let the originating company off the hook.
It's 100% Logitech's fault, here.
Then again, I could be wrong.
But I'm not.

post #1454 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
i2k

Quote:

This is where repeats gets a little off for me, but I'll try my best to explain.

With everything set to 0, yes that is the fastest the remote will get between key presses. Example: you are trying to scroll thru an on-screen menu or guide -- you press one of the arrow buttons twice to move in a certain direction -- you pressed the key very fast, but the device seems to lag behind -- basically, you have finished pushing the buttons, but when you look up, the moves in the guide/menu are just now catching up.

In this case, setting the delays to zero and using the minimum number of repeats possible will make the remote the fastest it can be. So, in general, you are correct when you say that you should set everything as low as possible.

However, the speed at which the volume moves when holding down the volume button is a little different. This is the situation when the Harmony software is asking you if the device responds to many times or not (repeat settings). In this case, if the repeats are set low, holding down the volume button will cause the volume to rise slowly, and if repeats are set high, the volume will increase too fast. So, if your volume is going up too slow when holding down the volume key, increasing the number of repeats will speed it up at the cost of slowing down the remote in the other situation above.

The way I understand it is that holding down the volume button for 2 seconds is the equivalent of say, oh, 10 individual key presses.
With repeats set at 0, only 10 volume commands where sent during that 2 seconds and the volume increased ten steps.
With repeats set to 1, the original plus 1 repeat = 2 X 10 = 20 volume commands being sent...are set low, the remote is done sending a command quickly and ig the repeats up by 1, may be a happy medium for you. You'll just have to test it.

That's the way I understand it and I hope I explained it right. If I didn't, I'm sure someone will correct me.
Rob

Is there a specific section for REPEATS?
I don't see this value.

found it > "troubleshooting" for a device

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
post #1455 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

I found that the channel numbers will input quicker - esp. for those QAM stations - when the Inter-Device Delay in "Adjust the delays (speed settings)" under Device>Settings is set to 100.

Strange cause I thought the Inter-Device Delay was between different components.

I did too; thanks for the tip, channel entry is much improved.

I'm shocked AND odd.
post #1456 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Absolutely the Rebate Co. But in fact, Logitech has their name front and center if they do a rebate and ultimately have to be responsible for who they hire to do their dirty work. If you play with fire prepare to be burned.
If you want your good reputation spoiled by the shenanigans these rebate companies pull, it's your fault. Never let the originating company off the hook.
It's 100% Logitech's fault, here.
Then again, I could be wrong.
But I'm not.

It is hard to believe that companies are so callous towards existing customers. Especially ones like Logitech which seems to go the extra mile with good post sale tech support.

I work with a guy who claims that getting a rebate is a contact sport ... in that you need to keep contacting the rebate company .

Good luck,

Frank
post #1457 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 PM

Maybe I just got a good CS Rep, but I was turned down recently for 1 of 2 anti-virus rebates because my pre-existing AV was OEM installed, but I got the other rebate for the product. I didn't realize until after the rebate period expired that one of the emails they sent was declining the offer. I just replied to the email stating the rebate approved OEM installs as valid previous ownership and had copies of everything submitted if needed. To my surprise the response I received was they re-instated my rebate and the check will be sent shortly. I didn't even have to argue my point or send another email. I received the check about two weeks later.

I always believe it's going to be a hassle to deal with rebates and they'll always play hardball, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.
post #1458 of 11319 Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rob

Thanks -- great info.

In my case, I noticed that two quick presses of the volume, caused a slight lag (I would look at the display and see it catch up). This is where I noticed the issue between the Harmony and the individual remote.

But holding down the volume seemed just as fast as the original remote (I think).

Since I have repeats at 0 -- I probably will just leave it alone then. I didn't notice any difference whether at 1 or 0.

With 4 or 5 repeats one key press of volume would move it more than one step at a time.

My only options then are 2 or 3, but that might slow down even more the non- continuous volume presses.
post #1459 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 AM

Can more than one button be programmed with the same function. I am going to be programming the H1 to use with a PS3 and I would like the "X" to remain an X soft key as well as map to "Enter" so that a less tech savvy user can simply use it without wondering what an X means.
post #1460 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 AM

Just got the remote...first remote like this of it's kind. I think it is pretty neat so far, but I have one question.

When powering on my activity "Watch TV", it takes so long before i can change anything using the remote such as TV Channel input or volume...is there any way to shorten how long it sits there sending the information to simply turn the TV and Receiver on? (Right now it seems like 20-30 seconds)
post #1461 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly1980 View Post

Just got the remote...first remote like this of it's kind. I think it is pretty neat so far, but I have one question.

When powering on my activity "Watch TV", it takes so long before i can change anything using the remote such as TV Channel input or volume...is there any way to shorten how long it sits there sending the information to simply turn the TV and Receiver on? (Right now it seems like 20-30 seconds)

It might be HDMI or HDCP protection syncing between components, nothing to do with the remote.
post #1462 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizaref1 View Post

Can more than one button be programmed with the same function. I am going to be programming the H1 to use with a PS3 and I would like the "X" to remain an X soft key as well as map to "Enter" so that a less tech savvy user can simply use it without wondering what an X means.

Yes, you certainly can map the same function to more than one button.
post #1463 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Check your delays, specifically the power on delay, reduce that number.

That number exists because it takes time for the TV and Receiver to power on. So for example. if your TV takes 15 seconds to power on before it can accept an input change command or volume input, then you need to set the delay for 1500, otherwise your TV will not turn to the right input if you are say going from watching tv to OFF then ON: watch DVD, because the TV has to turn on then switch inputs.

Keep on trying shorter numbers until the TV and other devices do not switch to the correct inputs, then go with a little longer number than that. Also you can change the power on order, put your longest device (usually your TV) first, then on down the line from there. For example my HD DVD player takes a LONG time to power up so I put that first for my watch DVD activity. (I actually power up that device with the eject command, but that is another post).

You can spend days tweaking the delays and repeats and power on order to get the best performance. I have it now to the point where I push the button then wait about 4 seconds. There is a fine line between performance and reliabilitiy. Right now you have reliability, your remote most likely always gets everything right, but it takes time. if you start speeding things up you may reduce that reliability and have to start using the help button to get things right...
post #1464 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 AM

I need help,
I have the one, upgraded the 880. I need to know the fix for: i turn on the "watch tv" and it turns on fine then switches to TV/SAT. Is there a order change i missed or a time delay i need to add. Anybody have this problem?
When I press help, it goes back to HDMI 1 (TV) which is the correct setting.

I have the Elite pro150and the vsx94 hooked up with a HDMI cable........

The same thing happened with the 880, just didnt bother to fix.
post #1465 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

... So for example. if your TV takes 15 seconds to power on before it can accept an input change command or volume input, then you need to set the delay for 1500, otherwise your TV will not turn to the right input if you are say going from watching tv to OFF then ON: watch DVD, because the TV has to turn on then switch inputs. ...

Minor correction: 15 Seconds is 15000 ms.
post #1466 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 AM

I'm a new Harmony One owner, I got mine last Friday. It is my first universal remote of this kind and I like it so far. I've been trying to tweak the delays and repeats for my Motorola DCH6416 DVR. I can't make the harmony respond as fast as the original remote when navigating the channel guide. With fast repeated key presses I get ahead of the remote, and when I stop it will advance a few more times after I stop pressing the button.

I have Inter-Key delay at 0 and repeats at 0, is this the best response I can hope for? I can probably get used to it but the original remote is still faster and I notice the difference. Would Inter-Device delay change anything? I haven't messed with that yet and it's currently set at 1000ms.

Does anyone else's remote have dead pixels or spots on the screen? Mine has one black dot that looks like a dead pixel but may actually be speck of dust under the screen. I notice it but it's probably not worth worrying about, especially once the remote is well used and has dust and finger prints on the screen all the time. It bugs me now but I'll probably forget about it later, as long as it doesn't affect the function of the remote.
post #1467 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

Other folks have done a lot to speed up the delays and so I will leave it to them to respond to that aspect of this. But I had the same problem when navigating the channel guide on my PVR. So I programmed the "up arrow" and "down arrow" to be page up and page down within my "watch PVR activity". For me I actually like this better than scrolling through individual rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Void View Post

I'm a new Harmony One owner, I got mine last Friday. It is my first universal remote of this kind and I like it so far. I've been trying to tweak the delays and repeats for my Motorola DCH6416 DVR. I can't make the harmony respond as fast as the original remote when navigating the channel guide. With fast repeated key presses I get ahead of the remote, and when I stop it will advance a few more times after I stop pressing the button.

I have Inter-Key delay at 0 and repeats at 0, is this the best response I can hope for? I can probably get used to it but the original remote is still faster and I notice the difference. Would Inter-Device delay change anything? I haven't messed with that yet and it's currently set at 1000ms.

Does anyone else's remote have dead pixels or spots on the screen? Mine has one black dot that looks like a dead pixel but may actually be speck of dust under the screen. I notice it but it's probably not worth worrying about, especially once the remote is well used and has dust and finger prints on the screen all the time. It bugs me now but I'll probably forget about it later, as long as it doesn't affect the function of the remote.

post #1468 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Mine also has a a single dead pixel on the screen. I'm also not too worried about it; the same dead spot was on a different unit that I returned for an unrelated issue.
,R

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #1469 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Mitsubishi TV takes forever and a day to "boot up" from cold. I had to put in extra delays to wait for it. 30 seconds, ha, that's quick! Welcome to the digital generation!

post #1470 of 11319 Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...I have Inter-Key delay at 0 and repeats at 0, is this the best response I can hope for? I can probably get used to it but the original remote is still faster and I notice the difference. Would Inter-Device delay change anything? I haven't messed with that yet and it's currently set at 1000ms....

Yes, reduce the inter-device delay to 0 also.

With all 3 of those set to zero, that's the best it can do.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page