Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #121 of 11319 Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well now I'm really PO'd about my Harmony One. So I spent a considerable amount of time customizing my 880, particularly activity and device buttons. I installed 7.4 (with my 880), then ran the wizard to replace my Harmony remote.

My devices and activities got transfered over, but ALL of my button customizations were wiped out. I called tech support, and their level 1 system was down so it took them 30 minutes to try and open a case. They couldn't open a case, so they sent me to level 2. That guy looked at my account/logs and said he saw no errors. But I'm the first One user he's had, and offered me no solution.

So now I have to spend another weekend or two recreating all of the button assignments. I'm not happy about this.

For all of you that want to upgrade, make SURE you get screenshots of all button customizations so you can spend hours re-configuring them if the settings do not transfer over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 11319 Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Well now I'm really PO'd about my Harmony One. So I spent a considerable amount of time customizing my 880, particularly activity and device buttons. I installed 7.4 (with my 880), then ran the wizard to replace my Harmony remote.

My devices and activities got transfered over, but ALL of my button customizations were wiped out. I called tech support, and their level 1 system was down so it took them 30 minutes to try and open a case. They couldn't open a case, so they sent me to level 2. That guy looked at my account/logs and said he saw no errors. But I'm the first One user he's had, and offered me no solution.

So now I have to spend another weekend or two recreating all of the button assignments. I'm not happy about this.

For all of you that want to upgrade, make SURE you get screenshots of all button customizations so you can spend hours re-configuring them if the settings do not transfer over.

To be fair, it does tell you this is going to happen. You get these two options:

Use my existing account to add my new remote control
# This option replaces your current Harmony remote control.
# Your custom button mapping is not transferred to your new remote control.

Create a new account for my new remote control
# You are prompted to create a new account.
# Your current remote control will not be affected.
# Your current Activities and Devices are not transferred to your new remote control.

If you have your old remote, can't you look at the screens on it?
post #123 of 11319 Old 01-26-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop69 View Post

To be fair, it does tell you this is going to happen. You get these two options:

Use my existing account to add my new remote control
# This option replaces your current Harmony remote control.
# Your custom button mapping is not transferred to your new remote control.

Create a new account for my new remote control
# You are prompted to create a new account.
# Your current remote control will not be affected.
# Your current Activities and Devices are not transferred to your new remote control.

If you have your old remote, can't you look at the screens on it?

I do not have it, and requiring users to completely reconfigure their remote is absurd. This is the last Logitech remote I purchase. What BS.
post #124 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Most Best Buy locations now have these in stock. Use the 10% off Best Buy coupon and the 10% off mail-in rebate (valid through Jan 31).

Below are some side-by-side shots comparing the Harmony One and Harmony 720. Click for larger.

Note the (1) white backlighting on hard buttons, (2) much larger transport controls, (3) larger menu and guide buttons; (4) color TiVo +/- buttons on LCD, (5) contoured buttons, including recessed record button.

The buttons on the Harmony One jut out more from the remote, making them easier to use by feel. When pressed, there is an audible click. The buttons don't depress into the remote like the Harmony 670/680 or the URC MX series.
post #125 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Most Best Buy locations now have these in stock. Use the 10% off Best Buy coupon and the 10% off mail-in rebate (valid through Jan 31).

Thank you very much for the link to the Logitech rebate.
post #126 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked up one of these bad boys yesterday afternoon at BB. My children gave me an 880 for Christmas and I had gotten the 880 configured so it was working just as I wanted it, but the small flush buttons on the 880 were driving me nuts. Since I'm still within the Amazon return period for christmas gifts, and the One is now available, I decided to make the switch. I am not dissapointed. In fact, I'm elated.

I think the One is far superior to the 880. As far as basic functionality, they both work well and do a really good job of controlling all of my components. The button layout on the One is so superior and intuitive that its a joy to use. The touch screen is absolutely fantastic. I've noticed at least one poster complaining about the touch screen, but based on my experience with the One, the touch screen is a work of art. Just the slightest touch and the displayed function works and works instantly. Yes it only display's three activities, but that allows the buttons to be large enough to easily touch without accidently touching the wrong button. Moving between the screens is a breeze with the touch screen and much easier than the 880. Once in an activity, the touch screen displays 6 touch buttons which are each big enough to touch without accidently touching the wrong button. You don't have to press the button. Only a slight touch and the function works. I'm able to move between touch screen button presses & hard buttons presses quickly and with ease.

Setting up the One with the software was very easy. I just installed the 7.4 software, hooked up the One, logged into my account and used the replace remote function and all of the settings I had configured for my 880 were in the One. I didn't have any custom button configurations so that wasn't an issue, but the software warns you that any custom button configurations won't copy over. You will have to re-do those if you have any. Just write them all down and re-do them once the main activities are transferred. The software allowed me to rearrange the displayed order of the activities on the touch screen so the three most used activities are displayed on the first screen.

Moving between devices is a breeze using the devices button on the touch screen. I don't use RF or Z Wave so its no issue for me that the remote doesn't have those functions. For anyone who is frustated with the button issues of the 880, I think the One is a big improvement.
post #127 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Liked: 12
To those of you lucky enough to have the One already, a few questions:

1. On several photographs, it looks like there is a button on the rocker for Play and Pause. Is there a new soft button there, or is it an artifact on the photo?

2. I can't find a direct equivalent of the "Options" key on the 880. What does this key do? Is it a replacement for the 880 "Media" key?

Thanks,

Burt

The Consultant's Creed:
I can do it right.
I can do it cheap.
I can do it fast.
You get to choose any two.
post #128 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpers View Post

To those of you lucky enough to have the One already, a few questions:

1. On several photographs, it looks like there is a button on the rocker for Play and Pause. Is there a new soft button there, or is it an artifact on the photo?

2. I can't find a direct equivalent of the "Options" key on the 880. What does this key do? Is it a replacement for the 880 "Media" key?

Thanks,

Burt

1) The play/pause hard button is a rocker.
2) No idea what you mean.
post #129 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM

I think he means the "options" key on the screen (next to "devices"). I'm guessing that it's the equivalent of "system options".
post #130 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM

I am extremely happy with this remote. The touchscreen is cool. The actual screen is hard plastic(i thought the harmony 1000 was kind of soft, like if you pressed it to hard you would make a dent in it, but I could be wrong). The screen is very responsive and I haven't made an error at all pressing it. Activites are 3 to a page and buttons.favorite channels are 6 to a page. I have not made an error pushing the wrong thing. I'm glad harmony made the buttons 6 a page. If it had been 8/page, I think more people would have difficulty pushing the right buttons.

I had the Harmony SST-659, which is similar to the One but the screen was just text (no pictures/colors). Remote displays the day and time in the screen, however, it does not display the date or am/pm. I thought this was odd since the remote actually asks you for day, month year, etc. I might have to go back and see if this can be changed in with the software.

I like the charger - very easy to charge and sits well on the charger. I heard a lot of problems with the 880, not the case with the One. Took me literally 15-20 minutes to program the remote to operate TV, receiver, Directv HD DVR, DVD, DVD recorder, VCR & Xbox 360. I had problems with my 659 always not turning on the right settings for my activities and the 4 AAA batteries would usually only last one month. The harmony One hasn't made any errors in my activites yet and no more problems with replaceing batteries. The only thing that took me long was setting up my favorite channels images. This was only becasue I went to a site that had the icons for the 880 and the resolution is better on the Harmony One so I had to play around resizing the images. The harmony software doesn't give you a lot of channel images ( only about 20-25 and no abc, cbs, etc.) The favorites, besides the channel images, were easy to setup and all work great. By the way, I have a BigTen Network button if anyone needs it.

One of my favorite features of this remote is that when just sitting on my table the remote is off. When I pick up the remote it turns it self on, pretty cool. The remote is always backlit (except when not in use or sitting on a table) and is very easy to read in the dark.

Only downside is the black glass-like finish which very easily picks up fingerprints. Logitech did provide a black cloth to clean the remote in the box.

Overall I am really happy with the remote and glad I purchased it. As I was not a 880 owner, I can't compare to it. However if I had to choose between a nice touch screen and little buttons to push on the side of a screen, I would choose the touch screen.

Tom.
post #131 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up the ONE yesterday and feel just as happy as the others, but I have a feeling that I may have gotten a bad one.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to have as wide a pointing range as the 880 did. Well, maybe not wide, but deffinately not as robust. I usually have the remote on the arm of my couch, pointing directly at the equipment. But now there seems to be a sour spot that it won't work the TV. I can point it at the ceiling or at the floor and it'll work, but on the couch arm, it's hit or miss.???????? I've looked at the emitters thru a camera to verify that both are lighting up and they are. The weird thing is that there is a pinkish light on all the time right under the OFF button, to the outside of the emitter. Can anyone else look at theirs and see if they can see it too? It is visible to the naked eye; no camera needed.

Since I installed the 7.4 software, it is saying there are updates for 3 of my devices. What are the possible problems of letting it do these updates? I'm thinking it may kill any special sequences and such.

Rob
post #132 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM

My remote has the same light at the top, underneath the power button. I guess its normal , The IR transmitter does not have a wide field. I have had a few times that the remote gets the IR commands wrong and will turn the two wrong components on . It seams to be fixed after re-downloading , but it has happened three times. My biggest complaint of this remote is the finish. Its very slick in your hand. The rubber coating on the upper part of the bottom should have wrapped around the rest of the remote. I ordered some Egrips non slip rubber that Im going to cut to fit. Hopefully this will help.
post #133 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. Well that sucks, I've tweeked it a few times, so I've updated it many times as well as firmware. I've played with the repeats and timing with no luck.

Here's the pic with the light just to verify.

And to answer a few questions. The media key has been replaces by "Favorites"

And then when in favorites (note I only have 4 set up but there can be 6 per page)

There is an options button when in the select activity screen. When pressed it gives 3 choices: "Tutorial", "Date and Time", and "Turn Screen Sounds OFF".

Rob
post #134 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 03:37 PM

I think the redish light you see is just the escaping light from the LED for the power botton. It will turn off with the remote going into sleep mode
post #135 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a source for television network icons, if anyone needs them.

Does anyone know of a better source? Those icons are 64x64, but the native icon resolution of the Harmony One is apparently 75x44.
post #136 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 04:07 PM

for more channel logos try remote central. look under harmony remotes then choose files. you should find some channel logos their.
post #137 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

I get my logos from http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/tv/k.html and from http://squareworld.com/harmony/ (sqareworld is the same ones on remotecentral I think)

I've just been resizing them with photoshop and they still look good.

Follow-up on my question about updating a device when the software says there is one. I went ahead and did it for my TV. The update was very accurate for my original remote, BUT (and a big one) was that I lost some functionality. The profile I originally had was for all Sony TVs which had many more discretes than the new profile had (some worked for my TV and some didn't). For Example; the old generic profile had a speaker toggle where the more "up-to-date" profile did not. While this was closer to my original remote, I didn't like it and had to start over to get the extra functionality back.

My advice; if the device profile you have does everything you need, leave it alone and don't update when the software prompts you.

Rob
post #138 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Very jealous of those of you that get to pick up your Ones this weekend. MA and NH best buy stores say they won't be getting them in until thursday this week at the earliest. Just in time for the 10% rebate to be expired
post #139 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSrB2000 View Post

Very jealous of those of you that get to pick up your Ones this weekend. MA and NH best buy stores say they won't be getting them in until thursday this week at the earliest. Just in time for the 10% rebate to be expired

Why not just buy it from Amazon, then cancel your order in a week or so. Mail in the copy of the UPC from your local BB purchase and you are golden.
post #140 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

I get my logos from http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/tv/k.html and from http://squareworld.com/harmony/ (sqareworld is the same ones on remotecentral I think)

I've just been resizing them with photoshop and they still look good.

Thanks for the link!!!!!! Hope the Lyngsat Logos will come out nice
post #141 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM

I don't see a "-", can this be mapped to the "+" button?
post #142 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve View Post

I don't see a "-", can this be mapped to the "+" button?

You can map anything you want to any button you want. The only exceptions are the Activities, Help, and [All] Off buttons.
post #143 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Not real familiar with the Harmony remotes, had an 880 when it first came out for a week or two but didnt like the button layout and sold it and went with a URC MX-950.

I'm looking at picking this up and giving it a try on my game room tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You can map anything you want to any button you want. The only exceptions are the Activities, Help, and [All] Off buttons.

post #144 of 11319 Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

If they end up replacing the 880 with this and they have the same $250 price tag, then I take back what I said. I don't think they'll do that but here's hoping they do.

I mean again, I love the models that are pricier than my 670, I just can't justify spending that much on replacing four other remotes. $250 wouldn't be bad for a touch screen remote though. As I said, different strokes for different folks

it is $250...
post #145 of 11319 Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the logitech rebate. I bought one yesterday at BB and had no idea about the rebate.
post #146 of 11319 Old 01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I also picked one up this weekend. So far I really like it. I have had Prontos for 8 or so years and while there are some things I wish I could customize more with the Harmony, it is very usable and fits you hand nicely.

Hopefully they will allow us to use any image for any button soon as right now, you cannot. The only place you can use custom buttons is for the favorites. I ended up going to Remote Central and downloading a button image file for the Prontos and resizing them uip to teh right size. I did notice some weirdness when letting the Harmony resize themselves. If you have a button that is smaller in both directions than max size, it seems like it should fit but it doe snot always do it correctly. I ended up sizing them up so each size was as large or larger than the recommended size and let it chop part of the top an dbottom off.

Also, right now, you can get the correct button labels for certain things like A, B, C or smae buttons shown above only using the Activity for a given device. If you go to the Device directly, the graphical buttons will not show up.

The best thing about this thing is that my wife loves it. She like the Pronto alright and it was good for turning a complex system on, but she never got used to not having hard button transport controls.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #147 of 11319 Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if a BB in Chicago is selling them yet? No luck so far in 2 different stores. One store told me the In Stock date is Feb. 10th, and that even though they may have them in the back, they can't start selling them until Feb. 10th (the In Stock date)
post #148 of 11319 Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post

Does anyone know if a BB in Chicago is selling them yet? No luck so far in 2 different stores. One store told me the In Stock date is Feb. 10th, and that even though they may have them in the back, they can't start selling them until Feb. 10th (the In Stock date)

Ya one of my local stores said they couldn't sell them until the 10th and Logitech support said they shouldn't be released until the 15th. Thankfully another local BB ignored the sale date and happily sold me one.
post #149 of 11319 Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I actually saw a TV ad for this remote today, can't recall ever seeing an ad for a remote control on TV before.
post #150 of 11319 Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Does anyone else have a rattle in their remote? It sounds like it is near or behind the LCD screen. Maybe it has something to do with the tilt sensor, I don't know. I don't have to shake it hard at all to make it rattle (Yes, that sounds bad, but let's look past it).
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page